PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Pools Cause Scalp Problems

Dragon
October 28th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I have to avoid swimming pools because it makes my scalp dry and irritated. And it triggers off my psoriasis. It took a few weeks to get my scalp back to normal with lots of scalp oiling, co washing and prescription creams. Does any one else find they get scalp problems when using swimming pools?

GeoJ
October 28th, 2010, 05:29 AM
All of my skin gets dry & itchy from swimming pools. That's why I swim in the sea instead. That's also why I drive 40 minutes to take my DD to swimming lessons in a saltwater pool (I could ride bicycle to swim lessons for her if we were OK with a chlorine pool, but she has eczema prone skin).

I can't say what it really does to my scalp, because I have lifelong scalp problems that never really go away.

DuckyDot
October 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I have Seborrheic Dermatitis and surprisingly my scalp reacts very well on the day I swim (I swim once a week for triathlon training) and that was yesterday but now my scalp feels odd. Happens every week ?

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I'm sorry that your scalp reacts this way to chlorine. Yes, its true that pool cleaning chemicals can cause allergic skin reactions on some people. Luckily, I'm not one of them. I'm an avid swimmer, I go to swim at the pool about 3 days a week, and during the summer I sometimes swim every day, and I have no skin/scalp problems. If you know that your scalp reacts this badly to the chlorine, and you want to still continue swimming you should get a super tight swim cap. A good swim cap should be able to keep pretty much all of your hair and scalp dry while you're in the water. And, right after your swim make sure you shower off very thoroughly.