PDA

View Full Version : Hormonal Imbalance & hair loss?

Dreamkitty
October 28th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I went to the Doctor because my periods are irregular and she told me I had a hormonal imbalance which resulted in this. I also have body hair in places I don't want and it is making me depressed.

I am overweight and I am going to lose weight by going to the gym.

I hate having extra body hair but I am freaking out here, because I read that, women with hormonal balance can lose hair on their head. And I did notice more shedding then a couple years back when my hair was more thicker and I had regular periods.

:( Anyone else have this problem? at the moment my hair is medium thickness but I don't want it to be thinner and I feel like I have to correct this problem quickly.

Gypsygirl
October 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Didn't your doctor put you on any meds? :confused:

Purdy Bear
October 28th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I went through this some years ago, the Dr didnt prescribe anything as I was going through a lot of stress at the time, and she said it would balance out in a few months which it did once the stress was less.

It maybe worth going back to see your Dr if you cycle is really iregular (mine says under 21 days).

CrisDee
October 28th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I had a friend a number of years ago who not only had a hormone imbalance, but thyroid issues as well. She seemed to have hair everywhere but her head - all kinds of facial hair, but so thin on her head that you could see her scalp. Once she found the right combination of meds, her facial hair disappeared and her head hair thickened up - hope this happens for you as well. :flower:

Gypsygirl
October 28th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Yes...a friend of mine went through the same and the meds she got really helped her, that's why I asked. Maybe you should see another doctor and get a second opinion?

hairobsessed1
October 28th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have Metrorrhagia- I am gonna have some blood tests next month to diagnose what is causing my troubles- i have had weight gain, hair shedding, anemia ... and the list goes on. Did you doctor just say it was a hormonal imbalance or did you have blood tests? It is important that you find out exactly what's going on as hypothyroidism, hypertyroidism, hormonal imbalance and POF (premature ovarian failure) have very similar symptoms- if you havent had tests i would advise that you do so they can diagnose and medicate you. As soon as you are medicated the symptoms should ease.

Tiina
October 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I used to have this problem. Extra body hair and all. My doctor put me on birth-control meds and a few weeks later my hair growth normalised. The excess body hair that once had appeared sadly never disappeared but there didn't come more of it. I don't know if this would help you though, as the root of your problem may be different whereas mine was simple imbalance.

Dreamkitty
October 28th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the info and advice guys. :)

I did vist my Doctor a couple of months ago, she said I have excess hormones and losing weight can help balance my hormone levels. She gave me medicine (can't remember what it was called) and told me to come back after I finished the course.

I started taking the pills, my periods started as the doctor said. I finished the course but I forgot to go back and make an appointment. So after a 2 months, my periods were irregular again and I know she might be annoyed because I didn't make an appointment with her after I finished the medicine. I am trying to lose weight and see if my periods go back to normal. Because sometimes, when I exercise there seems to be a sign that my periods will start.

After I lost weight, I will see if my periods become regular again and if they don't will definetly vist the doctor.

:( I am only 20 years old so the thought of taking pills to correct my hormones does seem depressing to me. It feels like im going through the menopause.

Gypsygirl
October 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Sweetie...go and see your doctor now- because you are so young. A lot of things can still be fixed at your age. Your doctor might scold you a bit, yes...but don't wait for things to get more difficult. Losing weight is a great plan, but make sure to keep track of what's going on in your body as well.

KayBee
October 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I've had a hormonal imbalance since I was a teenager, but I've been taking medication for it pretty much since then. I never noticed any hair loss and for the most part it didn't grow wildly in places I didn't want. I have to pluck an occasional hair here and there so it's not a big deal. The meds really help, I shudder to think what would happen if I went off them again..The last time I did it wasn't pretty.

Cupofmilk
October 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have pcos apparently.I Take metformin and it makes a huge difference to my weight, hair, energy levels, skin etc . Well worth sorting thing out

pepperminttea
October 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'd ask your doctor about PCOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCOS). The hormone imbalance from being that bit bigger can look very similar to PCOS, and a double whammy I'm afraid, PCOS does make it much more difficult to lose weight as well. I've been tested for that and thyroid issues, having had the same problem you're having, but for me it is just a weight issue, thankfully. It's worth checking out though, and particularly if your doctor is older, they may not know about the condition at all; it's a relatively recent discovery. Incidentally, despite having a hormone imbalance since adolescence, I've never had problems with hair loss or thinning.

I hope you can resolve things soon, and that your doctor listens to you. One particular doctor I saw when I had a repetitive strain injury in my wrist - he took one look at me and said it was my weight. In my wrist? Really? Needless to say I've since been told otherwise, and that particular doctor has made mistakes with several other overweight women too. Some do just see the weight and nothing else. I hope you've got a good one. :grouphug:

Dreamkitty
October 29th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Sweetie...go and see your doctor now- because you are so young. A lot of things can still be fixed at your age. Your doctor might scold you a bit, yes...but don't wait for things to get more difficult. Losing weight is a great plan, but make sure to keep track of what's going on in your body as well.

Thanks:), my mum was worried for me and she told me to see the Doctor, I will make an appointment and see what happens. Ive had enough of dealing with excess body hair and Its time I did something about it.

Dreamkitty
October 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I'd ask your doctor about PCOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCOS). The hormone imbalance from being that bit bigger can look very similar to PCOS, and a double whammy I'm afraid, PCOS does make it much more difficult to lose weight as well. I've been tested for that and thyroid issues, having had the same problem you're having, but for me it is just a weight issue, thankfully. It's worth checking out though, and particularly if your doctor is older, they may not know about the condition at all; it's a relatively recent discovery. Incidentally, despite having a hormone imbalance since adolescence, I've never had problems with hair loss or thinning.

I hope you can resolve things soon, and that your doctor listens to you. One particular doctor I saw when I had a repetitive strain injury in my wrist - he took one look at me and said it was my weight. In my wrist? Really? Needless to say I've since been told otherwise, and that particular doctor has made mistakes with several other overweight women too. Some do just see the weight and nothing else. I hope you've got a good one. :grouphug:

My doctor did mention, that my symptoms where similar to PCOS and that is more common then I think. But she didn't diagnose it as that. She said losing weight will help the last time I saw her, although she didn't know exactly why I had these hormonal imbalance. So she told me to change my diet, lose weight and see if that helps to correct it. I didn't do exactly what she said but I did start going to the gym (have to go often). My hair is still thick but I freak out thinking of, what if I do lose my hair in the future because of this?

Thanks for the advice, will update with what the doctor tells me. I hope it is just a weight issue, like you because I can know I will have some control over that.