PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your hair so soft?

tinywife
October 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm a brand-newbie, but I love it here already!

I have very fine hair, almost like a baby's, and it gets dry and rough very easily. I know it isn't naturally rough, because the two inches next to my scalp are heavenly soft.
I've tried eggs, olive oil, and mayonnaise to make the rest of it softer, even leaving them in for 24 hours; the effect is always entirely gone after I shampoo. What can I do?? I already use Garnier-Fructis' leave-in conditioner.

Four inches so far; to classic length or bust!!

ddiana1979
October 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
You could try CWC (Condition - Wash - Condition). I usually oil my hair with olive oil, put it in a braid, and sleep with it in a cap overnight. Then I slather conditioner all over my hair, wait a few minutes by doing various things in the shower. I wash only my scalp with shampoo. Rinse, letting the suds drip down my length. Then I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner, which I leave on for 3-5 minutes. Then rinse again. Sometimes I use a little ACV on my scalp.

Do you use any products with alcohols (most hairsprays, for example)? That could contribute to dryness, as could heat (blow fryers, curling irons and the like are very drying/damaging to your hair).

tinywife
October 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks, ddiana1979! I've used just about every damaging thing there is...straightener, blow dryer, curlers, hairspray, you name it. I guess I deserve my sandpaper, but I'm trying to reform and get it soft again!

I like the CWC idea. I think I'll start doing that.

liagibba
October 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I've been conditioner-only washing (CO-Washing) for 3 months now and it's made a HUGE difference in softness. I also apply a small amount of coconut oil to my hair when it's still damp from the ears down. I've noticed a HUGE difference in shine and softness since I started this routine.

Good luck!

HintOfMint
October 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Eggs have quite a bit of protein in them, and many have found that it can make hair dry and crunchy. Just a possibility.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have fine, but a lot of, hair that gets very dry. I basically had to give up shampoo altogether unless I'm washing out a treatment like oil. I suggest limiting shampoo. I once read an article which argued that as some people have oily hair they need to shampoo more often to get rid of the residue and buildup. however, people with dry hair do not have very oily scalps. So if you shampoo you will be stripping your hair of the precious little natural oils and any conditioning treatment you have in your hair. Unless you've allowed them to build up or have used a deep treatment, I think it may be best if you do as the other LHC ladies have suggested: Conditioner Only mostly works for me.

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I thought my hair was soft before. Then I started CO washing, and realized I had no idea how soft it could get! (^(oo)^)

RadiantNeedle
October 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM
CO washing, coconut oil on the ends and staying away from silicones is what's made my hair so amazingly soft, I think.

Marjolein
October 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I also thought of a possible protein overload. That leaves your hair feeling crunchy and well, not soft. You might wanna try a moisturizing treatment. Snoweymoons SMT is a popular one around here. If I remember correctly it's two parts conditioner, one part honey and 1 part aloe vera gel (without alcohol).

KittyLost
October 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I CWC and do a deep treatment every two weeks or so. I also don't heat style, only on special occasions and that keeps my hair pretty soft :)

Dolly
October 28th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I also thought of a possible protein overload. That leaves your hair feeling crunchy and well, not soft. You might wanna try a moisturizing treatment.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.....your hair may be getting too much protein....try a good moisturizing treatment instead.....

FrannyG
October 28th, 2010, 05:10 AM
My hair is baby fine too, and what's more, I dye it, so I've really had to learn what to do to keep my hair soft, and it is soft.

I suggest that you to clarify your hair, by washing it with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of possible build-up.

Then suggest that you do a deep treatment with silicone-free, protein-free conditioner mixed with honey (4 parts conditioner to 1 part honey). Cover the deep treatment with plastic, cover that with a towel and leave it on for at least an hour. That will keep the heat in and allow the treatment to absorb nicely. Then I would rinse it very well, without using shampoo. Finish with a very mild apple cider vinegar rinse. A lot of people like the SMT recipe for a deep treatment, but for my fine hair, I don't like the aloe vera all that much. You might like it.

Also, I might suggest that you try Conditioner Only washing. I use a very inexpensive conditioner--Suave naturals. Then I use just a tiny bit of leave-in.

Wishing you well, and I look forward to following your journey! :blossom:

DuckyDot
October 28th, 2010, 05:25 AM
You probably have protein overload, the Eggs are probably making it worse. So use one of the recipies that other LHCer's have posted and as Franny said - Clarify !

I like a mixture of CWC and CO washing. But remember, since you said that your hair is damaged from heat then you might have to start doing micro-trims or something to help get rid of it.

Quahatundightu
October 28th, 2010, 05:27 AM
The softest my fine hair ever is - thanks to catnip :) Since you're new maybe start out with clarifying and then something like CWC or CO, but once you have a new routine down I definitely recommend a catnip treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118)! I know it sounds weird, but nothing leaves my hair moisturised yet non-greasy like catnip :P

Fiordiligi
October 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I've only being doing it for 6 weeks or so, but oiling my length quite thickly with coconut oil a few hours before a wash has delivered great results for me.

tinywife
October 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, thanks everyone...y'all have been so helpful! :)

Jessica Trapp
October 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
CWC works really well for me. My hair likes SMT and coconut milk treatments too. Protein makes some hair types crunchy.

:flower: jes

christine1989
October 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I too agree with CO washing. Afterall, if shampoo dosen't help your hair then try not to use it. If you must use shampoo then try a non SLS variety.

CourtneyBee
October 28th, 2010, 08:53 PM
CO! All the way. This is my first week and I am BLOWN AWAY at the condition my hair is in! Woo!

torrilin
October 28th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks, ddiana1979! I've used just about every damaging thing there is...straightener, blow dryer, curlers, hairspray, you name it. I guess I deserve my sandpaper, but I'm trying to reform and get it soft again!

I like the CWC idea. I think I'll start doing that.

I really doubt you need a straightener if your hair is really 1c. The "curl" for a 1c is well... not. For most 1cs around here, it seems like just combing their hair will take out almost every bit of wave.

Blow dryer... my hair really soaks up water. As in at my current bra strap length, it can take 4-6 hours to dry when I leave it loose. Most people around here seem to not take that long even at waist. And at 4" long, there's no way I'd need a blow dryer. My hair would dry in maybe an hour at that length, which means normal human hair would take a lot less.

Curlers well... either your hair is straight or it's curly! Make up your mind ;).

I also wouldn't go cold turkey on all this stuff at once. Most people (even those of us with really fragile hair) have hair that can handle a little bit of mean. So pick one nasty tool to drop, and see what you think of your hair. Try and appreciate the good points of your natural texture as it sloooowly gets to come out to play. If dropping one produces a positive change, see about dropping another.

Ultimately, you've got to be realistic about what your hair does. Mine is straight, and will do nothing but that. If I do what it likes, it's soft, pretty, and easy to deal with. If I upset it... I'll be driven to tears near daily for months when I detangle.