PDA

View Full Version : The Essential Oils Thread

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I was thinking earlier today about all of the amazing things essential oils are used for. They can calm, energize, uplift, heal and scent, and they do it beautifully and all-naturally.

If you don't mind my being a presumptious newbie, I would like to make this the official essential oils thread where we can talk about our favorite essential oils and how we use them.

I'll start with my all-time favorite: Tea Tree Oil. I put a few drops in everything - shampoo, conditioner, face wash, and foot lotion. It soothes my scalp, kills fungus and bacteria, and works really well. I also love rosemary and lavendar for their conditioning properties and uplifting scents. I put them in my hendigo, my leave-in conditioner, my jojoba, and anything else that catches my fancy.

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
You beat me to it....i was going to start an EO's thread but kept thinking "in a minute" :p

Here is a study into alopecia areata using essential oils as a treatment. Though it's worth noting that a man with Androgenic Alopecia also had regrowth

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21376

Miss Murphy
March 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Great topic!

I just bought a book on aromatherapy, and have stocked up on my EOs. I love to add some to my bath water (I usually use eucalyptus, camomille and camphor) with a generous splash of grapeseed oil for moisturizing properties.

And I love love love my TTO! I use it on spots, cuts and also put it in my OCM-mix.

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 09:39 AM
You beat me to it....i was going to start an EO's thread but kept thinking "in a minute" :p

Here is a study into alopecia areata using essential oils as a treatment. Though it's worth noting that a man with Androgenic Alopecia also had regrowth

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21376

Oh that's really neat. I wonder if doing the same thing would encourage hair growth. It makes sense that it would, by increasing circulation to the scalp by mildly irritating it with essential oils. You would probably have to use a fairly strong mix to do this I would think.

ChloeDharma
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Before LHC went down there were 2 really long threads on Essential Oils for growth, one was based on that study and another i think was using Chrome Dome.....it seemed like loads of people got good results with it.

mira-chan
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have way too many essential oils.
Eucalyptus I use for breathing problems as my respiratory system gives up on me in the winter.
Sweet Orange oil I use for skin things time to time.
Pennyroyal - used very carefully diluted for bad cramps.
My mother adds Citronella to the cleaning water whenever we get even a hint of moth infestation and just periodically. My mother also has Lemongrass and one more that I forgot.

For hair, I put these in my scalp mix:
Jatamansi (Spikenard) - good for scalp care, hair growth and condition.
Texas cedarwood - hair growth, scalp
Bay Laurel - scalp problems, hair growth
Rosemary - scalp probelms
Lavander - scalp problems, hair condition
Tea Tree - skin problems, anti- fungal

Not in my scalp mix but used in hair and skin mixes:
Ylang ylang - nice one overall
Clove - for henna mixes, nicely overpowers henna smell too.

I've banned myself from buying any more for now. Way too much as is.

catfish
March 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I message chamomile, lavender and spearmint oils into my scalp and hair all the time. Not only do they smell great but I have fewer ichties and much softer hair when I use them.:D catfish

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I've just picked up some clove and am using it in my Aloe Vera jell for scent... I love it, and it seems like it's gonna last forever!

lavenderblue
March 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I use eo's mostly because of the scent. I have
lavender
rosemary
eucalyptus
mint
orange
rose

jessie58
March 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
When the archives are up and running I'll repost my shortened version of the Essential Oils for hair loss and thinning article here. It had loads of great info without the hundreds of replies to wade through.

jel
March 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I've got a biscuit box full of EOs, and I use them in face serums, scalp oils, hair and body butters and massage oils!

My favourite EO in terms of effectiveness is undoubtedly lavender; it soothes, heals, calms and rejuvenates the skin. Based on scent alone, I prefer sweet orange, ylang ylang and vanilla.

jessie58
March 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Jel, I have yet to smell or use ylang ylang, is it floral?

Mahars
March 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM
When the archives are up and running I'll repost my shortened version of the Essential Oils for hair loss and thinning article here. It had loads of great info without the hundreds of replies to wade through.

Oh great. I can't wait to see that.

jessie58
March 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Oh great. I can't wait to see that.

It's making me really antsy to get the archives back. Believe it or not, I don't even have my own essential oil recipe written down anywhere except the archives. Luckily I have all the essential oils that I use in one place and I think I remember how many drops of each goes in. I hope.

Henna Boy UK
March 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
My frav EO at the moment is Rosewood. Love it. I use it in my henna as it is super high in mono terpines and it makes the henna smell lovely.

jel
March 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Jel, I have yet to smell or use ylang ylang, is it floral?

It is floral, but sweet and exotic. It reminds me of lily of the valley, but darker... I blend it with orange and a drop of patchouli for my body massage oil, for example.

jessie58
March 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
It is floral, but sweet and exotic. It reminds me of lily of the valley, but darker... I blend it with orange and a drop of patchouli for my body massage oil, for example.

Jel now you've really got me wanting to try it. I love lily of the valley and just about the only scent I like is patchouli with orange being a tolerable fruity scent to me. I would like that combination myself. I'm going to try the ylang ylang next time I go to my health store. Thanks for the info.

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Jel now you've really got me wanting to try it. I love lily of the valley and just about the only scent I like is patchouli with orange being a tolerable fruity scent to me. I would like that combination myself. I'm going to try the ylang ylang next time I go to my health store. Thanks for the info.

I love ylang ylang too. I've been meaning to get some but I'm trying to hold off on buying too many. It smells exotic and mysterious but floral at the same time. I like it paired with citrus scents like lime. The freshness of citruses tend to make it a bit less heavy. Orange sounds like it would be really nice too.

addikted
March 17th, 2008, 08:15 AM
My favourite has to be lavender, I put a few drops into my diffuser at night, it fills my bedroom with such a lovely, calming scent.

MelLuna
March 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I only use the healing essential oils from my best friend. She's an alchemist. She created several blends.For all. They are highest quality.

freznow
March 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
One bit of info I'll add until the archives get back.

The four ingredients common to almost all hair growth formulas were lavender, rosemary, clary sage, and thyme. These four have been shown to have the greatest affect on hair growth.

Here is jessie58's recipe http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=892139&postcount=311

And the entirety of the old thread: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598

And I just submitted the article I had written (jessie58's is probably more succinct, but I had mine saved so I thought it'd be of help) so that should be up soon! (When the articles in the archives become available, we can condense the two or something of that sort, or decide which one is more useful to leave up)

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for posting this Freznow. I wish I had all these oils, especially sage and thyme. I'll try anything that works for Jessie58. She has amazing hair!

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I currently own:
White Grapefruit
Sweet Orange
Lavender
Tea Tree
Eucalyptus

I use them mostly for scent and love them :inlove:

lynnala
March 20th, 2008, 03:05 AM
This may have been mentioned before, but what type of raw oil is used to make scented essential oil? I was looking at recipes for making lavender water with fresh dried lavender, and they call for unscented essential oil.

*I just looked it up, the oils ARE the distilled result of each plant. Duh!:shrug:

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM
One bit of info I'll add until the archives get back.

The four ingredients common to almost all hair growth formulas were lavender, rosemary, clary sage, and thyme. These four have been shown to have the greatest affect on hair growth.

Here is jessie58's recipe http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=892139&postcount=311

And the entirety of the old thread: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598

And I just submitted the article I had written (jessie58's is probably more succinct, but I had mine saved so I thought it'd be of help) so that should be up soon! (When the articles in the archives become available, we can condense the two or something of that sort, or decide which one is more useful to leave up)

Thank you so much Freznow. :)

Shorty89
June 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Where do you buy essential oils? I haven't seen any around here.

jessie58
June 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Where do you buy essential oils? I haven't seen any around here.

In health food stores Shorty. Lots of people buy the online though. I don't.

Shorty89
June 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM
In health food stores Shorty. Lots of people buy the online though. I don't.
Hm... *remembers prices at the local health food store* :scared:

Patrycja
June 19th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I bought mine online at www.thechemistrystore.com

you just have to make a minimal purchase of $15 I think? Don't quote me on that,though.I just know you can't buy just one or two 2oz bottles of a EO at 2.00(some are that cheap there)each.I tried and it said "no go!" when I clicked on check out :shrug: So-I bought more and more till it said "ok!" when I went back to check out. They don't have much of a selection but are really cheap,compared to the local health food stores.Expect the normal for shipping but it came to my house super fast.

ETA-I just went back to the site and appreantly in the past week or so-they added more oils.Darn them,now I'm broke.

ETA again- I did try Sweet Orange with jojoba the other day and noticed my hair was super soft and frizz free.I'm hoping it was a win and not just a lucky one day thing.

tennies
June 24th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Does anyone use essential oils in a vinegar rinse? Do they dissolve in the vinegar and water or are they too hydrophobic to mix well?

lora410
June 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I have some sage, rosemary, lavander, patchouli, thyme. and rose. I can't wait to use them :happydance:

jessie58
June 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Does anyone use essential oils in a vinegar rinse? Do they dissolve in the vinegar and water or are they too hydrophobic to mix well?

There are a couple of recipes around where lemon juice, distilled water and EO's are used as a rinse but I'm not sure that many people would use vinegar. It's usually used as a finishing rinse after the hair is cleaned of oils and dirt.

Most people use the oils on their scalp only, mixed with a carrier oil.

People who oil their length also put in a few drops of EO's into the mix as well.

What would be the purpose of vinegar and EO's?

lora410
June 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
What would be the purpose of vinegar and EO's?

To get rid of the ACV odor. I plan to seep some lavender in ACV so it smells all pretty even when dry :D

jessie58
June 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
To get rid of the ACV odor. I plan to seep some lavender in ACV so it smells all pretty even when dry :D

Well that makes perfect sense then Lora. :)

I use the rinse for that clean, shiny, finished look and would worry that the oils would leave a residue, sort of canceling out the purpose of the vinegar for me. Also as soon as my hair is dry, there is no scent of vinegar whatsoever, so I never even thought of it bothering some people.

Be careful not to smell like a tossed salad with the oil and vinegar, lol.

Nightshade
June 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I have an EO-infused blend on my scalp and it's definitely reduced my shedding. Don't know if it's making it grow in faster, but my scalp feels great :D

Mine has:

Cold–pressed unrefined sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, shea nut oil, nettle-infused oil, sea buckthorn oil, and the essential oils of bay, birch, cedarwood, german chamomile, lavender, red thyme, rosemary, sage, tea tree, and ylang-ylang.

jessie58
June 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I have an EO-infused blend on my scalp and it's definitely reduced my shedding. Don't know if it's making it grow in faster, but my scalp feels great :D

Mine has:

Cold–pressed unrefined sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, shea nut oil, nettle-infused oil, sea buckthorn oil, and the essential oils of bay, birch, cedarwood, german chamomile, lavender, red thyme, rosemary, sage, tea tree, and ylang-ylang.

That sounds wonderful Nightshade! does it smell strong? I keep saying I'm going to try the ylang ylang and also sea buckthorn oils.

I haven't used my blend in a long while, I really must get back at it now that it's summer so my hair can thicken up for the long winter ahead.

Nightshade
June 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
That sounds wonderful Nightshade! does it smell strong? I keep saying I'm going to try the ylang ylang and also sea buckthorn oils.

I haven't used my blend in a long while, I really must get back at it now that it's summer so my hair can thicken up for the long winter ahead.

It smells a bit earthy and woodsy, with the more clear notes of ylang ylang and birch on the top. The poignancy of those seems to fad after awhile, though, and the scent mellows out some after it's been mixed.

The sea buckthorn is potent stuff, and you almost want to treat it like an EO with how much you use, but I love it.

almudena
June 30th, 2008, 03:46 AM

I use the same mix (Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, thanks Nightshade :D http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12764161 ) and I can't rave enough about it :D. It works really great. I put a few drops every morning on my damped length. Or apply it as a pre-wash treatment. Result: soft, shiny, happy hair.
The smell is a bit strong, but it fades quite fast and it is not annoying.

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Well that makes perfect sense then Lora. :)

I use the rinse for that clean, shiny, finished look and would worry that the oils would leave a residue, sort of canceling out the purpose of the vinegar for me. Also as soon as my hair is dry, there is no scent of vinegar whatsoever, so I never even thought of it bothering some people.

Be careful not to smell like a tossed salad with the oil and vinegar, lol.

Yup, I stuffed some French lavender, chamomile and calendula flowers into the jar and sealed it. So far it smells faintly of lavender :D

crebbsgirl
July 1st, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm just wondering if there's a generic formula for how much EO per carrier oil one should use?

Silver & Gold
July 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've heard about 12-18 drops per ounce. But you may wish to check with other resources as well.

crebbsgirl
July 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Elettaria
July 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
I've been interested in aromatherapy all my life, and frequently toss essential oils into final rinses (along with herbal teas and 1/2 capful of cider vinegar), coconut oil and so on. I use a variety of oils which I won't go into now, but here are some useful points:

* If you like the medicinal properties of tea tree oil but not its aroma, try blending it with cardamon oil. The cardamon masks the medicinal scent of the tea tree, and the tea tree cuts the excess sweetness of the cardamon. I've a feeling I've had similar results with tea tree and ylang ylang.

* Base notes linger in the hair or on the skin for longer than top notes; you can look up which oils fall into which category if you're interested in this, and you can supposedly also use base notes to anchor top or middle notes (though I've never really bothered messing around with that, it's more a perfumery thing). I'm particularly fond of using sandalwood, which lingers in the hair for ages, though it's pricey so I don't use it that often. Patchouli and myrrh also have very lingering aromas.

* The formula for calculating EO dilution is as follows. 1 drop of EO per 5ml (1 tsp) of base oil = 1%. So 3 drops EO in 15ml (1 tbsp) base oil would be 1%; 4 drops EO in 10ml would be 2%; and so on. When used in massage, EO dilutions are usually no higher than 5%, and often much lower than that (I don't think I've ever been treated with higher than 3%. For use on the hair, you can probably go higher than that, but it's useful to know this as a sort of base. EOs are highly concentrated, remember, and are *meant* to be diluted. Don't splash them around neat. If you're very sensitive for whatever reason, allergies or health problems, keep the dilution low.

* If you plan to get into this seriously, I'd recommend findg a decent book on aromatherapy and learning a bit about it, at least the safety aspects. Certain oils are not considered safe for general usage, although some unscrupulous suppliers may still sell them (e.g pennyroyal, wormwood). Other oils should only really be used by professionals (e.g. sage - use clary sage EO or sage tea instead), or should be treated with caution as they are strong skin irritants (spice oils in particular) or even potential allergens. In addition, learn to find suppliers who are selling genuine, pure EOs. One way of telling is to get to know the standard oils available. If your supplier is selling something that doesn't exist as an essential oil, such as amber, or selling an oil which should be horrifically expensive at suspiciously low prices, such as melissa, rose, jasmine or neroli, or an oil which does technically exist but is so pricey that it's never seen in actual aromatherapy usage, such as narcissus (which is a hypnotic anyway), then the oils are probably fake or at best diluted. If all the oils in a range cost exactly the same, then they're probably fragrance oils rather than EOs. Of course, this may not matter if you're using them for scent alone and like the smell, but it does matter if you want to use them therapeutically (e.g for scalp conditions), plus once you've educated your nose, you'll likely find that fragrance oils don't smell anywhere near as good as genuine EOs.

shireen
July 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hi...does anyone know how to contact moonchaser? I have been trying to look for her oil on ebay but its not listed there...i cant even reach her through email. Does anyone know if she is still selling her oil?

Thanks

jessie58
July 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi...does anyone know how to contact moonchaser? I have been trying to look for her oil on ebay but its not listed there...i cant even reach her through email. Does anyone know if she is still selling her oil?

Thanks

She has a link to her oil in her siggy here on the boards. :)

Nightshade
July 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks

Here's the link to her Etsy store (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5723867):)

tennies
July 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM

Yep, that is my reason. I use a white vinegar rinse.

My husband smells my hair, even when dry, and says, yup, I smell vinegar. So I already did try a few drops of essential oil, but I think I need maybe 10 - 15 drops of something stronger than the geranium I have. I will up the essential oil amount until my husband goes "MMMmmmmm you smell nice"! That is the goal. :D Patchouli, orange and ylang ylang are on the way.

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I just made my own scalp oil with everything I have, yeah I is odd :D so far it has DRASTICALLY reduced my hair shed and I plan to oil my scalp everynight before washing.

Thyme
Patchouli
lavendar
Sage
Rosemary
Tea Tree
Ylang Ylang

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Yep, that is my reason. I use a white vinegar rinse.

My husband smells my hair, even when dry, and says, yup, I smell vinegar. So I already did try a few drops of essential oil, but I think I need maybe 10 - 15 drops of something stronger than the geranium I have. I will up the essential oil amount until my husband goes "MMMmmmmm you smell nice"! That is the goal. :D Patchouli, orange and ylang ylang are on the way.

My dumb butt did apple cider so I am now smacking myself in the head becuase apple is stronger smelling, but so far I can detect the lavender scent. I may drain it and add fresh lavendar into it tonight.

SarieQ
July 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Oh, I love essential oils! I'm linking an article to here for eo's that work for different hair types. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=25 This is what I go by for my business and it took me a couple months of research to compile. So far, I've had really really great results when going by the chart.

I like to use a drop or two of eo blend in cold water as a leave in after I rinse out my vinegar. My favorite is cedarwood, lavender, and chamomile. It's great for scalp itchies. I'm also going to make a new body butter blend with this in it for itchy dry skin. I'm also waiting to get more supplies to use this blend in a poo bar recipe!

I've recently put together a blend of lemon, jumiper berry, and rosemary for dull lifeless hair in a poo bar with herbs also for dull hair. My hair looks amazing!

I also make a hair ends oil with a blend of lavender, sandalwood, and blue chamomile. Sandalwood is great for split ends and blue chamomile is good for dry hair. I've also got a blend of sandalwood and lavender that I use in jojoba oil for my son's long hair. It has such a wonderful smell! I love my hair even more now that I oil the ends with oils containing eo's because it keeps my hair smelling fabulous all week long!

Another good thing with eo's is a perfume oil. This can be used in a very very small amount to scent the hair. Most of them are made in a base of jojoba oil. I run the rollor bar applicator over my palm, which gives a tiny amount (but with lots of aromatic power), rub my hands together, and then smooth over my length. It doesn't leave much oil in the hair if done in that small of an amount, smooths down fly-aways, and leave the hair just smelling sooooo good!

So go by the chart for your own various skin and hair needs!

tinabcurly
July 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Great chart! I've been looking for this type of info all in one place for a while. Thank you so much!

SarieQ
July 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Great chart! I've been looking for this type of info all in one place for a while. Thank you so much!

You're welcome! I put it together because I'd been looking for the same info in one place for a long time too!

Igor
July 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
What is the recommended EO/carrier oil blend? I guess you can make light blend and strong blends, but around what % do you usually mix the EO’s and carrier oils?

idlevortex
July 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Personally, I use about one teaspoon of essential oil to 4oz of carrier oil. One of the aromatherapy books I have suggest 15-20 drops of EO in 50ml (2 oz) of carrier oil.

I found this link (http://members.aol.com/aromavitae/measure.html). Hope it helps :)

pinchbeck
January 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am interested in using Neroli Oil (orange blossom oil) that is uncut. However, the cost is roughly $30+ per 1ml. Is there an online resource that is reputable, most affordable, that carries this? Although it is available at a lower cost on eBay, I am not sure if the sellers dilute the oil with other oils which may be a gamble.

sumptuousness
January 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Neroli oil is lovely and one of my absolute favourites but definitely one of the more expensive to buy. It is often available diluted at 5% in a carrier oil and this makes it much more affordable. It's still beautifully fragrant at this dilution too :)

formunkyfrommom
January 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
i love chamomile and calendula oils for soothing and healing properties....i guess they are my fave because i have a baby and they work awesome on diaper rash and for calming and soothing babies...also eucalyptus is my savior! LOL when my son had croup i put some in his bath and the croup was gone within a day :)

Pierre
January 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I use two blends often:
Rosalina, ylang-ylang, and patchouli for perfume. I've varied the oils from time to time, but usually combine ylang and patchouli. Rosalina is a relative of tea tree.
Tea tree, peppermint, and clove for teeth. I put a fraction of a drop on the toothbrush.

I also have a variety of other oils, such as may chang, star anise, katrafay, Australian blue cedar, and ravensara.

Kat
August 9th, 2017, 07:54 AM
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but it seemed appropriate to put this here.

I've had the idea to make some essential-oil inhalers. For example, one to use during my language lessons with invigorating oils like peppermint and lemon, and rosemary to help my memory. One to help me sleep with lavender and such. Etc.

Just hoping someone might have suggestions on what to use to keep it in. I don't like those plastic inhalers (https://www.amazon.com/Aromatherapy-Essential-Blank-Inhaler-Tubes/dp/B06X6DR65S/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502279948&sr=8-7&keywords=aromatherapy+inhaler)-- for one, I'm not fond of that much plastic around essential oils. There are glass-and-metal (https://www.amazon.com/Different-Essential-Refillable-Rivertree-Life/dp/B01LYQ05ZW/ref=sr_1_28_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1502286138&sr=8-28&keywords=aromatherapy+inhaler) inhalers that actually look pretty cool, but they're bigger than I'd like-- I want something that fits easily into a pocket (and I already have other things I carry in my pocket, so while these would fit in a pocket, they wouldn't fit so well with other things already in there). I considered a tiny rollerball bottle (https://www.amazon.com/True-Essence-Cobalt-Bottles-Roller/dp/B01DMFVIE6/ref=pd_sim_121_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DMFVIE6&pd_rd_r=45MDWSMFT4DFKV9K2VVE&pd_rd_w=8BNrd&pd_rd_wg=3L8Er&refRID=45MDWSMFT4DFKV9K2VVE&th=1), because I've seen scent inhalers that come in rollerball bottles. But I've read the EOs wreak havoc on the plastic collar that holds the rollerball unless you dilute the EO in a carrier oil; I don't want to do that as eventually the carrier oil will go rancid and the whole thing will smell bad. So then I thought... maybe a bottle with an orifice reducer (https://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Glass-Bottles-Orifice-Reducers/dp/B019T6G586/ref=pd_sim_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B019T6G586&pd_rd_r=45MDWSMFT4DFKV9K2VVE&pd_rd_w=8BNrd&pd_rd_wg=3L8Er&psc=1&refRID=45MDWSMFT4DFKV9K2VVE), that has an EO-soaked bit of cotton inside? Similar idea as the metal-and-glass inhalers, but smaller. The scent should come out the hole of the orifice reducer just fine?

If anyone has other ideas, I'd like to hear them as well. I wish I could find a version of the glass-and-metal one that is half the size, but I don't think they exist.

Nightshade
August 9th, 2017, 08:32 AM
By inhaler I assume you mean like an aromatherapy scent diffuser and not a medical inhaler, correct?

Kat
August 9th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Yes, of course.

Nightshade
August 9th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I just wanted to make totally sure XD I saw someone asking if she could put Four Thieves essential oils in her son's inhaler to treat his asthma and was like O_______O

There are some very pretty essential oil diffuser (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=essential+oil+diffuse+necklace) lockets that might be what you're looking for?

Kat
August 9th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I like the aromatherapy jewelry, but I don't think I want to be "broadcasting" scent all the time, especially since some people seem so sensitive to smells. I'd rather be able to just open it when I want to smell it (and then, too, I probably won't get desensitized to it and be "unable" smell it anymore). I don't like the way the scent of some EOs degrades when they're exposed to the open air for a long time, too. Lavender, for example, seems to start smelling funky to me after a few hours/days.

DarleneH
October 14th, 2018, 09:42 AM
If anyone has other ideas, I'd like to hear them as well. I wish I could find a version of the glass-and-metal one that is half the size, but I don't think they exist.

I know it's been a while since you posted this but I'm on here searching out EO info and came across this thread. What did you end up doing? I want to do the same, and the best thing I have come up with is one of those tiny one dram or half dram glass bottles with a bit of cotton ball inside, and dribble a few drops of eucalyptus and mint (or whatever I'm in the mood for) on that. No carrier oil involved, and I can pull out the bit of cotton when I want to clean the whole thing and put new cotton in.

Another thought: use an empty lip balm tube instead of a glass bottle.

elfynity
October 21st, 2018, 06:07 AM
I am in awe of the incredible propterties of EO's and use them constantly in my day to day life. Every organic haircare or skincare routine that I do is just so much better because of EO's. Here are some ways that I personally use EO's for their incredible benefits:

- Peppermint EO in a spray bottle with filtered water. I spray this on my hair roots almost everyday - smells amazing (especially if you are WO) and makes your hair grow faster.
- Lavender in my leave in conditioner and SMT - it is very moisturizing and smells absolutely amazing.
- Vanilla / Rose fragrance on my skin.
- Cinnamon / Lavender / Eucalyptus - any or all the above are natural fly repellants. I bought a plugin wall deodorizer, threw whatever liquid was in there into the loo, cleaned it out and threw in filtered water and my own EO's to naturally repel flies, and it really works!
- Vinegar + filtered water + eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender EO in a spray bottle as a toilet spray / room deodorizer. It works so well! And you can really experiment with what you want it to smell like.
- Ylang ylang + lavender EO mixed into Avocado oil in a bottle, shaken and a little poured into my bath at night.

These are the ones I am using everyday.

My most favourite scents are Benzoin / Vanilla, Rose / Rose Geranium, Orange and Ylang Ylang.

I know Tea tree has incredible propeties, but I cannot stand the smell and don't keep it in my house at all.

Lucielu
October 26th, 2018, 09:56 AM
i love essential oils. i'm going to be looking through this for ones to get/add to what i have! i use them for everything though, hair, body, helping illness/sickness, etc!

Groovy Granny
January 28th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Resurrecting this thread :cheer:

I have come to love essential oils :love:

It began with sleep problems related to my neck arthritis; I got lavender an chamomille to add to a grain neck pillow that you warm in the micro.
After some searching I found the store my first pillow was from that has lasted 20 years and is still perfect). https://comfortbags.stores.yahoo.net/
Later I got a second pillow..... and then an eye/forehead pillow for my headaches that I used peppermint oil on.

On the second pillow I mix and match florals from this set https://www.pandjtrading.com/go-shopping/fragrance-oil-sets/floral-set-14-fragrance-oils-10ml.html

And this set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CAEXO2A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was hooked :crush:

Neoma Told me about roller vials that I started to mix for my migraines and insomnia....then I started doing fragrances.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVYNQFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I got a case for them
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074WYMSR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The vials I use often are in a glass on my bureau.

Rose is often added to my rosewater and glycerin sprays to increase the fragrance.

Bamboois used inside my clothing from the bottle or in the roller vial on my skin.
It is an amazing, earthy fragrance that has rose tones to it....and my grandson thought I had used lavender, so it changes with my body chemistry I guess.
But it is very soothing, which I why I began using it during a time of stress/anxiety when my DH had open heart surgery this Summer

My neck pillows are warmed every night when I get into bed and it is so calming, between the warmth and fragrance; I go right to sleep.
Once a week I refresh the oils and mix/match 3-4 oils on each pillow.

The eye pillow is very soothing out of the freezer with peppermint oil when I have a headache.

P and J Trading are a wonderful shop for good quality oils and great prices; you can buy or create sets and there is free shipping on their site or through Amazon.

I haven't the energy/desire to make body products, and with my dog and canary I don't use diffusers.
DH and I also have asthma so I need to just keep them for personal use where I can watch my own reactions and not bother him (and I have had no issues).

That's my product gush LOL :o

What are your favorite oils, brands, shops, and uses?? :popcorn:

TreesOfEternity
January 30th, 2020, 10:20 AM
I’m preparing some hair oils lately, I have a notebook and write down my successful recipes.

I want to do solid perfumes as well, but I want to find first a fragrance I enjoy enough.

I’ve never used them for medicinal purposes GG but I should try! :)

Groovy Granny
January 30th, 2020, 12:50 PM
The medicinal ones are very short acting TOPICALLY, and I doubled the amount of essential oil...but they work well enough for me.
Headaches/peppermint, colds/eucalyptus, sleep/chamomille and lavender...applied diluted to skin; full strength on clothing and herbal wraps.

I won't risk internal remedies with my asthma and allergies.

What types of recipes are you doing?

Thanks for sharing Trees :)

lapushka
January 30th, 2020, 02:23 PM
You know what my mom did for headaches and migraines during pregnancy when she refused to take medication (thalidomide aka Softenon crisis / Belgium at that time)?

She used Vicks vaporub on her temples, then wore a bandana on top. It was magic!

TreesOfEternity
January 30th, 2020, 03:04 PM
The medicinal ones are very short acting TOPICALLY, and I doubled the amount of essential oil...but they work well enough for me.
Headaches/peppermint, colds/eucalyptus, sleep/chamomille and lavender...applied diluted to skin; full strength on clothing and herbal wraps.

I won't risk internal remedies with my asthma and allergies.

What types of recipes are you doing?

Thanks for sharing Trees :)

Last thing I made were some hair oils and a beard balm for DBF :)

For hair oils first I make the EO mix, I have some combinations I enjoy (I can look them up and post them here if you are interested! I would love to exchange recipes) and leave them for a week, then fill the crystal vials with carrier oils (almond, jojoba, argan) and let the mixture sit for a month.

For the beard balm I make the previous process, but when I add the oils I also put in there coconut oil, shea butter and bee wax :)

Regarding internal remedies, I don’t trust pure EOs enough to let them sit in my skin without being diluted, let alone drinking them. I think they are good but can be detrimental if not used carefully.

You know what my mom did for headaches and migraines during pregnancy when she refused to take medication (thalidomide aka Softenon crisis / Belgium at that time)?

She used Vicks vaporub on her temples, then wore a bandana on top. It was magic!

My head felt good just thinking about it! haha :) sounds pleasing! I’ll try that next time I get a headache, I try to avoid meds if I can stand it (I’m not against them, I just don’t want to abuse them if not necessary) and that’s a good remedy in those cases.

Groovy Granny
January 30th, 2020, 03:39 PM

WOW...I use that all the time but never for headaches; I can see it though.
Peppermint oil is very helpful to me but Biofreeze gel works the best..
I'll have to try it; it sure would be cheaper!

Last thing I made were some hair oils and a beard balm for DBF :)

For hair oils first I make the EO mix, I have some combinations I enjoy (I can look them up and post them here if you are interested! I would love to exchange recipes) and leave them for a week, then fill the crystal vials with carrier oils (almond, jojoba, argan) and let the mixture sit for a month.

For the beard balm I make the previous process, but when I add the oils I also put in there coconut oil, shea butter and bee wax :)

Regarding internal remedies, I don’t trust pure EOs enough to let them sit in my skin without being diluted, let alone drinking them. I think they are good but can be detrimental if not used carefully.

My head felt good just thinking about it! haha :) sounds pleasing! I’ll try that next time I get a headache, I try to avoid meds if I can stand it (I’m not against them, I just don’t want to abuse them if not necessary) and that’s a good remedy in those cases.

Thanks but I will pass on the recipes for now...
I haven't been well and don't have the energy to get into all that; what I have now works great, thankfully.

You need to let them sit for a month :hmm:

I have used them right away.....so they will get stronger as time passes?

lapushka
January 30th, 2020, 04:19 PM

WOW...I use that all the time but never for headaches; I can see it though.
Peppermint oil is very helpful to me but Biofreeze gel works the best..
I'll have to try it; it sure would be cheaper!

It's what she had available to her at the time, remember this is the very early 70s.

Groovy Granny
January 30th, 2020, 05:14 PM
It's what she had available to her at the time, remember this is the very early 70s.

I was around then...grew up with it.....remember it well ;) ....and still use it for stuffiness and congestion :thumbsup:

It just never dawned on me to try it for headaches. :doh:

The-Young-Maid
February 4th, 2020, 11:36 PM
I'd really love to add jasmine to my hair oils. The scent is divine.

Vacurlylady
February 5th, 2020, 12:21 AM

I use it for headaches all the time! I actually will rub Vick’s on my head to help me fall asleep at night as well. That stuff is a miracle drug to me. 😂

Groovy Granny
February 7th, 2020, 09:00 PM
I use it for headaches all the time! I actually will rub Vick’s on my head to help me fall asleep at night as well. That stuff is a miracle drug to me. ��

I use it every night in my nostrils; it helps with stuffiness.

Be careful for your eyes :tmi:

SleepyTangles
February 8th, 2020, 06:56 AM
I have bought eucalyptus e.o. because I just love to add the tiiiiiniest drop to my leave-in or my avocado oil

Groovy Granny
February 8th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I'd really love to add jasmine to my hair oils. The scent is divine.
I agree and use it for my grain pillows ad occasionally as a fragrance in my roller vial.

I have bought eucalyptus e.o. because I just love to add the tiiiiiniest drop to my leave-in or my avocado oil

I thought of this primarily as medicinal, forgetting I had a fresh wreath years ago and my homes smelled wonderful!
I'll have to re-explore this for other uses :thumbsup:

Angelite
February 9th, 2020, 10:49 PM
Lately I've been adding a drop or two of lavender e.o to my herbal rinses. It has such a lovely smell, I absolutely love it when I wash up just before bed and and fall asleep with the scent. It's popularly known to relieve stress (which for me is highly appreciated!) And I'm hoping the rubefacient properties will also help with hair growth :D

Angelite
February 9th, 2020, 10:50 PM

I thought of this primarily as medicinal, forgetting I had a fresh wreath years ago and my homes smelled wonderful!

Yes! Eucalyptus e.o is amazing for all almost everything. Initially I used it just for home and cleaning purposes before learning that it can be used for the body and hair too. I'll definitely have to try it out in different ways as well!

enting
February 11th, 2020, 02:44 AM

I love the smell of fresh eucalyptus in a bouquet or wreath even more than eucalyptus oil.

I've got something respiratory going on and I can't tell if it's allergies or a cold, so I've been burning a combination of bergamot, ravensara, tea tree, and bulgarian lavender in my little oil burner for a few days. Those are mostly anti allergy and antifungal (in case there's mold and that's what I'm reacting to). I've also been adding a single drop of peppermint oil to my coffee in case it's a cold. It's amazing how much the bergamot and ravensara are helping, they really reduce my urge to sneeze constantly.

There are a very limited number of brands that I trust enough to take internally, and you can't take all oils internally even if the brand is super pure. And some people shouldn't ingest some otherwise safe oils regardless. But I was trained in how I personally can safely take it internally so I do at times.

lapushka
February 11th, 2020, 05:35 AM
I've currently got in my arsenal of EOs:

-eucalyptus
-peppermint
-lavender
-tea tree

I think that's more than enough for my needs. I think I'm going to put a couple drops in the last bit of my neem oil by Dr. Hauschka (for my oil rinse). When the bottle was still full, I didn't want to do that. But now it's just half a cm I have left of the 100ml. I'll be sure to just do a couple drops. I think I might do my lavender. My next oil for the oil rinse is a massage oil (lavender). Just to... prepare. ;)

skeletonous
February 19th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Every time I do an oil treatment I put lavender oil in with my coconut and amla oils :p

I should try some peppermint oil sometime...I have a set of oils for my diffuser so I use that too.

Groovy Granny
February 19th, 2020, 12:17 PM
Yesterday I made up a batch of coconut and peppermint oil for my headaches and arthritis.
I put it in the fridge to solidify and then applied it to my forehead and knee.

RELIEF :love:

I remember my Grandmother using oil of wintergreen for her knees....oh the aroma :lol:

Ennapic
February 19th, 2020, 04:54 PM
I made up a lavender linen spray last week.
Use it on my bedding every day.
I think it's been helping with sleep.

Jane99
February 20th, 2020, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone! Have you heard of this!? That scalp and skin have olfactory receptors and are responsive to smells!? So this study looked at the effect of a synthetic Sandalwood fragrance called Sandalore on hair growth and overall skin healing and found the scent triggered hair growth. Just wild! https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05973-0 From what I’m reading, natural sandalwood EO did not have the same effect. I guess that makes some sense of why, as I have heard, certain EO’s applied to feet can have such drastic effects on health (I can’t remember the claims because I had dismissed them as probably not fact, but wow! Could be legitimate and now I wish I remembered or took better note). Anyways, I thought this was relevant. I’m thinking I want to start making my own conditioner because the premade stuff is so chemically... and I believe I have spent decades of my life reading ingredients labels to no satisfaction. That’s what’s getting me down this rabbit hole. I think I’ll put some Sandalore in my future recipe!

florenonite
February 21st, 2020, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone! Have you heard of this!? That scalp and skin have olfactory receptors and are responsive to smells!? So this study looked at the effect of a synthetic Sandalwood fragrance called Sandalore on hair growth and overall skin healing and found the scent triggered hair growth. Just wild! https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-05973-0 From what I’m reading, natural sandalwood EO did not have the same effect. I guess that makes some sense of why, as I have heard, certain EO’s applied to feet can have such drastic effects on health (I can’t remember the claims because I had dismissed them as probably not fact, but wow! Could be legitimate and now I wish I remembered or took better note). Anyways, I thought this was relevant. I’m thinking I want to start making my own conditioner because the premade stuff is so chemically... and I believe I have spent decades of my life reading ingredients labels to no satisfaction. That’s what’s getting me down this rabbit hole. I think I’ll put some Sandalore in my future recipe!

Do you CO wash? It looks from that article that the effect is from application to the hair *follicles* (ie, at the scalp), not application to the length, so for typical conditioner use I don't think it would have an effect.

Really cool that it can have this effect at all, though!

Jane99
March 23rd, 2020, 08:29 PM
Florenonite, very good point about the hair follicles! I’m still just amazed at the whole concept of skin having olfactory receptors. It’s so interesting.

On a different note, what does chamomile EO smell like? I ordered a cheap bottle and think maybe I got what I paid for... it’s blue and it smells TERRIBLE! Does all chamomile EO smell bad or did I get a particularly bad bottle? It says it’s steam extracted but people lie all the time about things. Google search says it should have a sweet smell or like a straw like smell. Do any of you have experience?

Dixie Derelict
March 26th, 2020, 08:21 AM
I have a cheap, blue chamomile EO from Hemani that I don't particularly like the smell of...I don't think there's anything off about it , but it's not my favorite. I think that's probably just how it smells.
Have you tried neem oil yet? Very stinky. Also VERY good for scalp issues. So I'm thinking that some eo's will smell icky to you, but be someone else's fave. Also, they can smell quite different on different people. Experiment away, and tell us your results!