PDA

View Full Version : Was your Hair Thicker when you were a child?

Dreamkitty
October 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Ive heard that hair is thicker when you are a child as opposed to when your an adult.

When I was a child, I had very thick hair- I couldn't tie a simple hair band twice around it. I would do a plait and it would feel so heavy.

Now Im 20 years old, my hair is still quite thick but less thicker then it was when I was a child. I miss the extremely thick hair that I had:(. My sister and cousin's hair was also much thicker when they were a kid.

So Im just wondering if anyone else had the thickest hair when they were a kid?

Dreams_in_Pink
October 27th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Me!! Everybody was shocked at my thickness in my primary school years. It gradually got thinner and thinner. I just hope it doesn't get too thin :(

girlcat36
October 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
My hair was very thick as a child, and my mother would take me to get it 'thinned'. Ihated that because it hurt; it felt like they were ripping my hair out. Maybe they were, I have no idea what they were doing.
I have about 1/4 of the hair I used to have.
The hairloss started when my first child was born in 1987, and never stopped. :(

tinti
October 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
No, I was the oposite. I had baby fine, thin whispy hair, and now I have a lot of hair that is medium textured.

Igor
October 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM
No, definitely not

pepperminttea
October 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Nope. It was finer in texture, and a bit thinner, about a ii. But then, it was also naturally blonde until around age 7.

Madora
October 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Oh, yes indeed! After I turned 5 my mother took me to the barber every summer to have my hair thinned so that it would be cooler.

Wish I had some of that thickness back, but c'est la vie!

Anje
October 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure... I remember stylists always commenting on how thick my hair was, but I had a three-wrap ponytail just like now, and it doesn't seem like it was that thick in pictures. And I've been taking care of my own hair since I was about 8. A lot of it might be that my hair is pretty fine, so even though I've got less than a 3" circumference, there's quite a lot of hair there when you start handling it.

I think part of the thicker-hair-as-a-child phenomenon is that kids have little heads and a pony of the same size looks fatter on them.

Teazel
October 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm afraid so. When I was around 12 I would put my hair in two plaits for school; two decades later my single plait was the same thickness as one of those 'pigtails'. :(

KayBee
October 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Yes, definitely. I couldn't tell you how much thicker it was but everybody used to comment on how thick and lovely it was..I don't get that anymore..LOL. No, seriously, I can feel a difference in the thickness from when I was a child.

gossamer
October 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I had white-blonde hair as a small child which definitely wasn't very thick. As I got older, my hair darkened and thickened to the point where now I even have some dark dark brown wire thick strands mixed in with my lighter brown. I know my father went from white blond to deep brown and then eventually all white, so I've got interesting color transitions to come still.

slythwolf
October 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
My hair was way finer and thinner when I was a child.

christine1989
October 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I had very thick, very curly (3a-b) hair when I was little then around middle school it became 2a ish and thinned quite a bit. It continued to thin during high school but by taking better care of my hair and getting better nutrition it is nearing iii territory again :).

sunshineTX
October 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, it was. I have never had thick hair. It's always been baby fine and thin, but I have to say that my hair started to thin when was in my 40s. :( However, when I stopped coloring with chemical dyes and began using natural, organic products on my hair, I did have a resurgence of new growth. I just wish I could get more....

TinaDenali
October 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
No, my hair was much finer as a child. I had very white blonde fine hair that gradually got darker and thicker as I grew up. It never got "thick" though, I have 'fine-medium' thickness of hair now that is a dark ash blonde/light brown (naturally).

rhubarbarin
October 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I was bald until I was nearly 2, then I had very fine and wispy light-blond hair until I was around 5 and it darkened (it's still about the same color) and thickened up. It's been about the same since then, a low-average amount of hair but with a lot of body. I always had long hair until I was 16, and my mom kept it in two long, rather skinny braids until I started doing it myself in a thick-looking, curly ponytail.

In the last couple years the length has been thinning pretty extremely. Blargh. Not at the scalp, I always have quite thick roots, but it seems like a ton of my hairs started dying at a very short 'terminal length'. I think I've gotten the hormonal issues of that time under control and it seems like I have a lot of new growth, so we'll see if it returns to normal.

MissManda
October 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM
No. My hair is probably a bit more coarse than when I was a child. I've had thick hair since the day I was born.

Bene
October 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I had thin, baby fine hair when I was a kid. Really thin. I looked like Gollum, with my big head and 4 strands :laugh:

Fiordiligi
October 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Definitely yes! It used to take hours and hours to dry even after it had been trimmed back to about where I am now (just shy of APL). This is not a problem I have had as an adult!

prosperina
October 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, no. I had fine, silky hair that tangled like no one's business. My hair has darkened, gotten thicker and wavier. When I was 15, I was probably a 1b F/M ii/iii . I was also born with just peach fuzz for hair.

Alexannee10
October 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM
My hair was very thick too ! But now, it's normal I think ! I would not consider it as thin, but not at thick either !

Sanyia
October 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I had rather fine, straight hair as a child.

It got slightly wavy in my teens, and then in my early twenties, curly and coarser.

But if I look carefully, I still have some strands of fine, straight hair here and there.

teela1978
October 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Nope. I'm another who's had their hair get coarser, darker, and thicker with age.

Chiara
October 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I had very fine hair as a child. It got thicker with puberty, and was probably at its thickest when I was about 16-17. Its thinner now, but has improved with good handling (and also improved health over the last 4 months).

GeoJ
October 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I kept my hair short as a child, so it's hard to compare. I started growing it around age 12, and that time my pigtails felt & looked very thick, but I don't know if they really were. My nutrition took a dive after moving out of my parent's home (home cooked meals every night to cereal for most of my meals, even when DH & DD are eating proper). So that could be a reason why my hair seemed so thick when I was still living with my parents.

I do know that my hair is thinner now than it was in my 20's due to a couple of hormonal sheds and stress sheds (it does appear to be growing back). Maybe if I can get myself to eat properly (but my favorite cereal is irresistibly yummy) I could get thicker hair again.

ericthegreat
October 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Nope, for me it was the exact opposite. When I was born, I only had a little tuff of hair on the top crown of my head. As a young child all the way up until I was 13, my hair was finer, softer, and completely pin straight. It was also on the thin side, my hair would become greasy in less than a day when I was very young. After I hit my teen years, my hair texture changed dramatically. My hair changed from fine to coarse, it became very thick, and altho now my scalp is still on the oily side it is less oily. I can go up to two whole days without washing now. I can definitely vouch for puberty giving me the thick hair I have today.

princessp
October 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I don't think so. I was smaller so my hair looked bigger, but I think it was pretty much the same size.

misspriss
October 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Yes. Especially during junior high and high school. It is noticably thinner now.

invisiblebabe
October 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
No, it's probably about the same as it was since age 9 or so.

In kindergarten, it was thinner than it is now. It thickened up in early elementary school and has stayed about average thickness.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 28th, 2010, 02:47 AM
defo the opposite, my hair was extremely thin. until I was 2, I had barely any hair and it was all so wispy baby hair fine. it's definitely thicker both in the amount of hair and the actual strands. Still have fine hair, but it's much thicker than baby-fine hair :P

Octave
October 28th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Yup it was a lot thicker and quite annoying actually! I still have thick hair, but not as thick as I used to, which I'm quite happy for.

Issmene
October 28th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I think it was thinner when I was younger. Hairdresser would still say: Wow, your hair is thick, but now it feels lots thicker (I've gotten more curl too :P). I think it has to do with puberty.

summergame
October 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
My hair was also thicker when i was a child, i last saw a picture with long hair when i was 10 years old i guess,it was so healty and shiny,i never had that natural shine and color anymore :(,it looks like i have an ash tone now..

mhiap
October 28th, 2010, 04:09 AM
My hair was thinner when I was a child. Thinner, lighter and straighter.

Pacific
October 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM
When I was a child my hair was also thinner and straighter.

Kome
October 28th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Not really. I don't think it's much different. If anything, I think it's thicker now honestly.

Loreley
October 28th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I've always had very thick hair but I think it's a bit thicker now than when I was a child.

lapushka
October 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Nope, I had less hair and it wasn't as wavy. It was equally F in structure, though. It increased in thickness and started behaving like a puffball through puberty.

moominhapa
October 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
My baby hair was a lot thinner and finer in texture. After puberty, my hair got coarser and therefore a little thicker.

HairFaerie
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
My hair was thinner as a child. It tended to get greasy & stringy a lot easier than it does now.

My theory is because my diet (although FAR from perfect) is certainly a lot better than when was a kid. Perhaps shampoo/conditioner has played a role too. When I was little, I just used whatever my mom bought. Now, I have a choice of a vast array of products.

Angeletti
October 28th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I would say the thickness hasn't really changed that much since I have gotten older, but my hair has become a lot more fine now that I'm an adult.

littlenvy
October 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had white-blonde hair as a small child which definitely wasn't very thick. As I got older, my hair darkened and thickened to the point where now I even have some dark dark brown wire thick strands mixed in with my lighter brown. I know my father went from white blond to deep brown and then eventually all white, so I've got interesting color transitions to come still.
Same here. LOL

My hair was so white and thin it wasn't even hair. Baby fine would have been an understatment. :p It was just long peach fuzz.
When I got older it matured a little, gotten darker and looking more like hair.

ilovelonghair
October 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Not for me: it's thicker now, it's actually the thickest it has ever been!

mali
October 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
No,it was the finest hair on earth.It was strawberry blonde(given the fact that my great-great grandma was a redhead) and now it's medium-dark blonde.It was also stick straight.

Intransigentia
October 28th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Not for me either. Until I hit my twenties, my hair was a solid i thickness, and all very fine. Blunt cuts around BSL looked like fairy tale ends because there just wasn't enough hair to make a curtain effect. And then I'm not sure what happened, but now in my thirties it's a high ii/low iii, with mostly medium but a good mix of fine and some coarse hairs.

Naphthylamine
October 28th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I used to have baby fine hair when I was a child too. My ponytail used to hang down like a rodent's tail. After puberty my hair has changed a lot -in a good way.

violetmermaid
October 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM
yeah, mine was thicker when I was a kid. but recently I lost alot of hair due to stress, I think as we get older, we have more responsibilities. freaked out when my hair started falling out after my mom was diagnosed with cancer, father-in-law was placed on heart transplant list. I thought- sure add something else onto the list. But mom is cancer-free, father-in-law has been given a new fangled heart pump that is keeping him alive, and my hair has stopped falling apart. Kids don't have to deal with stuff like that, at least to the degree that adults do.

Neneka
October 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Not for me either. Until I hit my twenties, my hair was a solid i thickness, and all very fine. Blunt cuts around BSL looked like fairy tale ends because there just wasn't enough hair to make a curtain effect. And then I'm not sure what happened, but now in my thirties it's a high ii/low iii, with mostly medium but a good mix of fine and some coarse hairs.

Did you have kids? I'm just asking.. That happened to my aunt when she got pregnant. I have heard that her hair was very very thin and now it's average. Hormonal changes affected her that way. I think that something like that happened to me too when I started taking birth controll pills 3 years ago... My hair was maybe thinner and finer. Not much but I can see the difference.

sophiamarie
October 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
When I was a child I remember people commenting how thick my hair was. A neighbor used to tell my Mom to take me and have it thinned out. It's certainly not that way now. It was a whole lot thicker about ten years ago. My hair is fine, but I used to have lots of it.

In2wishin
October 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
My hair was its thickest as a teen, young adult. It started to gradually thin when I hit my mid 30's but seems to have found a happy place.

Intransigentia
October 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
@Neneka - no, I didn't have kids (still haven't). And I've been on and off the Pill a lot, both before that and after so I don't know if that was it either. Also on and off all sorts of antidepressants over that time period. It seems to me that my nails got a lot stronger immediately after I got out of a particularly stressful period of work, and that my hair became noticeably thicker maybe a year later?

Honeylove
October 28th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yes. :-( Around kindergarten age, my hair was a light golden blonde with curls in the ends and very thick. Towards and during my teenage years it got darker, straighter and, I think, even thicker. Until ~22 I could hardly tie a normal hair band twice around my ponytail and it wasn't easy to find barrettes that would hold all of my hair.
People used to comment on the thickness of my hair. Sometimes I was unhappy with the (in my opinion) almost trapezoidal look when I wore my hair down.

But almost no-one comments on the luxuriance of my hair now anymore. According to normal standards my hair isn't thin now. I'd say normal. But I miss the thickness of my hair. :-(

Btw, from this thread it seems to me that there is a tendency that people who had extremely thick hair as a child got thinner hair as adults and vice versa. Or is it just me?

Roseate
October 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
No, definitely not. My hair was fine, light blonde and thin until I was about 8-10; then it began to get darker, coarser and thicker, and got much thicker during my teen years. Also wavier. It has remained about the same since my 20's.

enfys
October 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Nope. I'm sure it's thicker now and less fine and slippy.

I'm happy with that turn out of events.

camillacamilla
October 29th, 2010, 05:01 PM
My hair is thicker, wavier and darker than it was then I was a child.

renarok
October 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
My hair is probably only 50&#37; as thick as when I was young. My wrist and my pony were the same circumference.

LisaMonster
October 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
When I was little, I had really thin stick straight hair. It wouldn't hold a curl for anything.

Now, it's very thick and wavy. Not sure really when that happened...

Elistariel
October 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
You know, I have no earthly idea. By the way, I'm counting "kid" as me before puberty hit. I had zero, I mean ZERO concept of fashion, much less my hair. I don't remember when I started washing my own hair, much less putting it up myself. My mom and gran did my hair when I was a kid. Getting me to get in the tub was an act of God and getting me to get out and stop playing with my My Little Pony seaponies was too. It was a miracle if I managed to actually get shampoo on my head.
Church / dressy style was curled with sponge rollers and often up with a clip.
Regular was a high up ponytail with straight-across bangs. I look like boy in glitter and sequin rainbow outfits in most of my kid photos.

I do have a bit of my hair from my first real haircut when I was a baby/toddler and it's exactly the same color.

So, as for thickness... no clue.
Kind of went off on a bit of a tangent there, but oh well.

Alun
October 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM
No. it's always been fine and thin.

Mariah!!
October 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
My hair was really long (hip) as a kindergrtener and very thin. My haircutter lady would not put layers in it cause it was too thin. I had very fine hair. It still is fine hair and hard to get it to do stuff, but its pretty thick. It has never gotten down to the length it was as a child. I am currently working on that dream.

Speckla
October 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mine has gotten thicker as I've gotten older. Not curlier or coarser just thicker volume wise.

aimison
October 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think so. My stylists always told me/my mom how incredibly thick my hair was and I usually got it "thinned". As I've grown I've found my hair has thinned out a bit (still pretty thick) and is silkier and nicer looking (that may be due to differences in care now though).

HeatherMae
October 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
My hair was so thin when I was little that my mom feared that I would be bald before I was an adult. Now my hair is very thick.

Marieke
October 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My hair used to be fuller; I had more hairs when I was little.

monkeyprincess
October 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I definitely had thicker hair as a child.

Gemma
October 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
My hair was HUGE as a kid, and still very thick until I was about 19. Around that time I became very sick and suffered from malnutrition, the result of which was a great deal of hair loss. Since then, my hair has gradually been getting thicker but it will never be what it was before.