PDA

View Full Version : Temple hair not growing.

melrose1985
October 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'm at work so I can't post a picture of what I'm talking about, hopefully I can explain it well enough.

When I pull all of my hair back in to a pony tail (bangs and all) I have very short hairs on my left temple that are about 2" long. When my hair is all back they stick up.

I do wear glasses, but I don't feel that this is the cause because the other temple okay. The hair on the right temple doesn't seem to grow really (after bleaching the hair on the sides of my hair neither temple hair grew while above my ears I had almost a 1/4" of roots), but the right side seems to blend together when pulled back. Also I dont believe it's from the bleach because it's seems to be a problem I've had for awhile. The left temple even looks sparse looking compared to the right.

So does anyone else have this problem? what do you do to fix it or help it grow? Would Monistat work?

GeoJ
October 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I have the same problem! My temple hair is still showing henna- I hennaed in 2008.

Basically all the hair within 1 - 3 inches of my hairline grows slower and the hairs are weaker, but my temples are the slowest.

For myself, I suspect it's either natural for me, or the product of poor nutrition (not enough protein etc.).

pepperminttea
October 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I have these too, but I'm not that worried about them. I've always just thought of them as my "wispies" and figured they have a short terminal length. :shrug:

If you don't like them sticking out, you could try pinning them? Or maybe a bit of aloe vera gel to help them stay put?

Igor
October 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
From what I have seen so far, I would bet my entire collection of Ficcares on that every single one of us here on LHC (Heck, I’ll even throw in the world) has those.
It seems to be completely natural and unavoidable to have thinner hairs in that “boarder” between face and scalp and the temple area seems particularly bad in that way.
Asymmetry in the amount of hair you grow or their maximum length is completely natural too. Not much you can do about it, but yes it’s annoying
I think we all obsess over those patches sooner of later…

Dreams_in_Pink
October 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I always thought mine was because hairs there kept breaking because of the pillowcase :(

Anje
October 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I've had those before. Especially on windy days, I get two little tufts at the corners of my forehead that look like horns!

Some of it comes down to it being a spot with short terminal lengths on most folks.

What to do... Try in this order:
1) Smooth them back when they're wet and let your hair dry pulled back.
2) Apply aloe gel.
3) Apply regular gel.
4) Apply shea butter conditioning cream, or some equally heavy goop.
5) Apply hat or live with them.

emmebean
October 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I decided to try something new with mine today, found them, wet them, put them into pin curls, then had curls along my hair line. Not sure if I like it, but it was something to do with the "wispies". My 9 year old has them that reach to her nose and never stay put and never grow...aaaahhhh

gossamer
October 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Do you mean hair like this?
http://x4b.xanga.com/a8cf6be129633272824751/s217571538.jpg

I was just thinking today how much I love those locks - they help frame my face when everything else gets pulled back and add a certain softness to otherwise severe looking hairstyles. Also gives me the idea that my hair might actually be wavy if it was much much shorter. I also have the same kind of pieces at the back of my neck. Love those too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, I think it's pretty normal.

Angelica
October 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have lots of these hairs too. They never seem to grow. I think some of it is down to damage though :(

FrannyG
October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I have temple hairs like that too. And I also have them at the nape in the back, most noticeably on the left side. After years of trying to figure out if I'm doing something to cause it, I've come to the conclusion that it's just the way that area of hair grows on me.

Igor
October 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have them pretty bad. They grow to around ear-length for me and are about pencil-thick when they’re all shaken loose and gathered.

Once I got so obsessive about them that I would give them special treatment trying to make them grow out: I gave the scalp cream and a hair-loss recipe oil several times a day. I soaked them with oil and leave in conditioner several times a day too. After months of obsessing over them… Nothing had changed. No added thickness, no added length. Nothing.

That and the fact that everyone has them just adds to my theory that its one of those genetic things that we can do much about. No matter what peoples routines are, what they condition with, what supplements they have… Everyone has those annoying, thin and slow growing (quick breaking?) pieces.

My best advice would be to save your sanity and learn to ignore them :shrug:

This is mine…

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Donkeyears.jpg

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/Scalp%20spot2.jpg

Fiordiligi
October 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
My short wispy bits at the temple are assymetrical too. On the left side they grow straight up, about one inch long. I don’t really mind them actually, it’s the longer wispies that drive me crackers to be honest. Anyway, I’ve always wondered whether it’s because I prefer to sleep on that side.

In2wishin
October 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I have them too and now that mine are white I call them my "little fluffies". I like them when I put my hair up because it softens the face :)

frodolaughs
October 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I've been thinking of mine as natural face-framing layers. Like others have said, they seem to be natural and something just about everyone has. They can be irritating, but I do like the way they soften buns, and when I really really don't want them I'll do some kind of perimeter accent braid loaded up with goop.

teela1978
October 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I have some shorter ones that on humid days curl up to look like horns

Sanyia
October 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Same here, I think I always had them.

little_acorn
October 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have them too - mine a quite curly compared to the rest of my hair :)

manderly
October 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have them too. I call them my "wings" since they stick out like my head is going to take flight from my updos :roll:

I've given up hating them and just kind of ignore them.

melrose1985
October 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have these too, but I'm not that worried about them. I've always just thought of them as my "wispies" and figured they have a short terminal length. :shrug:

If you don't like them sticking out, you could try pinning them? Or maybe a bit of aloe vera gel to help them stay put? I do wear my hair down almost always and only pull my hair back if i just need it out of my face. Gel would help!

From what I have seen so far, I would bet my entire collection of Ficcares on that every single one of us here on LHC (Heck, I’ll even throw in the world) has those.
It seems to be completely natural and unavoidable to have thinner hairs in that “boarder” between face and scalp and the temple area seems particularly bad in that way.
Asymmetry in the amount of hair you grow or their maximum length is completely natural too. Not much you can do about it, but yes it’s annoying
I think we all obsess over those patches sooner of later…OOOO A whole Ficcare collection! hahah, I agree, not bet everyone else does have this problem. My mom always said she thought I had that at the temples because i would put my hair back and then pull some of the front out to soften the look. But the temple hair was longer then. I wonder then though, because two years ago a lot of my hair fell out due to chemicals (perms and straighten kits) and I had some bald patches at the temples that because they are slow growing maybe they just need time. I do remember them being longer and not so spiky though.

Yeah, I've had those before. Especially on windy days, I get two little tufts at the corners of my forehead that look like horns!

Some of it comes down to it being a spot with short terminal lengths on most folks.

What to do... Try in this order:
1) Smooth them back when they're wet and let your hair dry pulled back.
2) Apply aloe gel.
3) Apply regular gel.
4) Apply shea butter conditioning cream, or some equally heavy goop.
5) Apply hat or live with them. haha! Thanks! This helps, and the left side totally looks like a horn!

Do you mean hair like this?

I was just thinking today how much I love those locks - they help frame my face when everything else gets pulled back and add a certain softness to otherwise severe looking hairstyles. Also gives me the idea that my hair might actually be wavy if it was much much shorter. I also have the same kind of pieces at the back of my neck. Love those too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, I think it's pretty normal.Yes to your picture, but mine is at the temples and much shorter. I wish they were that long because it would look nice, and less horns like.

I have temple hairs like that too. And I also have them at the nape in the back, most noticeably on the left side. After years of trying to figure out if I'm doing something to cause it, I've come to the conclusion that it's just the way that area of hair grows on me.I have them at the Nape too.... But I wonder though because my hair sheds that if the nape ones are growing new hairs.

I have them pretty bad. They grow to around ear-length for me and are about pencil-thick when they’re all shaken loose and gathered.

Once I got so obsessive about them that I would give them special treatment trying to make them grow out: I gave the scalp cream and a hair-loss recipe oil several times a day. I soaked them with oil and leave in conditioner several times a day too. After months of obsessing over them… Nothing had changed. No added thickness, no added length. Nothing.

That and the fact that everyone has them just adds to my theory that its one of those genetic things that we can do much about. No matter what peoples routines are, what they condition with, what supplements they have… Everyone has those annoying, thin and slow growing (quick breaking?) pieces.

My best advice would be to save your sanity and learn to ignore them :shrug:

This is mine…

No creams or anything helped them? man... I don't even care if they are shorter then the rest of my hair but I wish this left side would be a little longer! I'm going to have to ignore them!

My short wispy bits at the temple are assymetrical too. On the left side they grow straight up, about one inch long. I don’t really mind them actually, it’s the longer wispies that drive me crackers to be honest. Anyway, I’ve always wondered whether it’s because I prefer to sleep on that side. I don't know.... I sleep on the right side of my face on on my tummy.

I've been thinking of mine as natural face-framing layers. Like others have said, they seem to be natural and something just about everyone has. They can be irritating, but I do like the way they soften buns, and when I really really don't want them I'll do some kind of perimeter accent braid loaded up with goop. Yea, I've done braids in the front to help hide it.

I have them too. I call them my "wings" since they stick out like my head is going to take flight from my updos :roll:

I've given up hating them and just kind of ignore them. Wings! Hahaha! Yea, one side is a wing the other is a horn! Seriously due to the lengths.... I'm a little bit good and evil!

CurlyTresses
October 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about it, I think it's pretty normal.

Ditto at the bolded above. I mostly wear my hair pulled back and love pulling these wispier locks out from behind the ears. Adds a softness to the face - I especially like when they spiral.

melrose1985
October 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Ditto at the bolded above. I mostly wear my hair pulled back and love pulling these wispier locks out from behind the ears. Adds a softness to the face - I especially like when they spiral. I wished mine spiraled : ( fricken horn!

twopoints
October 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have the same problem. I have fine hair around 2-3 inches long and they always get in my eyes. I've had them for quite long but they haven't really grown.

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Ahh!!! I thought I was crazy! I have those too and I thought my hair was breaking! These hairs never grow long, despite how much I baby them. Maybe I'll try oiling them to help slick them back.

It does make me happy to see others with this. I don't feel so abnormal anymore, lol...

ZaBasDa
October 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I always considered them "baby" hairs. Mine are about 2" long and I've had them ever since I was a small child. It makes sense to me that they have a shorter terminal length because they are the transition from my normal hair on my scalp to my vellus hair on my face and neck. Mine also curl every which way and I just leave them alone because there isn't anything I can do to make them better.

Nenwing
October 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Yay I don't feel so bad now! Others have this too!

Igor, your pic there (the second one) looks just like what my hair does. Its almost in a V shape of hair that is at the "corners" of my forehead and this hair will NOT grow hardly past chin length. I also have hair like this in the very front along my forehead that it seems will not go past chin length, and it can get annoying when they get in your face and will not stay nicely in up-dos without gel or pins!

I think Dianyla had a pic at one point illustrating this very well.

Anyone else sometimes tempted to cut them just so they will stop getting in your face? :o

CurlyTresses
October 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I wished mine spiraled : ( fricken horn!

Loved this response:) lol -

Wonder if by putting a little gel on the wisp, then twirling the hair around your finger - The curl/spiral might hold with the gel.

Karala
October 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have them too, sometimes they bother me, sometimes I think they're cute, overall I really don't mind them.

lpsqt60
October 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have these too and mine grow funny, the R side of my head has a finer growth than my L side, I don't get it but I do invest in hair gel, a lot of hair gel.

Niwa
October 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM
My temple hair grows extremely slowly too, and the hair right at my hairline grows to about an inch. I have just accepted it as it is because it deserves the same love I give the rest of my hair. :)

LaceyNg
October 15th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Ahh!!! I thought I was crazy! I have those too and I thought my hair was breaking! These hairs never grow long, despite how much I baby them. Maybe I'll try oiling them to help slick them back.

It does make me happy to see others with this. I don't feel so abnormal anymore, lol...

THIS! i always just assumed it was breaking off from damage!
although part of me wishes it WAS just breaking off from damage or something, so there would be a solution to get them to grow longer. :( i like the sleek look when my hair's pulled back, but i dont like to have to always put stuff in my hair. so most times i put my hair back and then end up looking like a mad scientist shortly thereafter, when it works its way back out :/