PDA

View Full Version : Tall people and Long hair!

Oberon88
May 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Is anyone else out there? I am 6'1 and it seems like my hair is taking a million years to get to my waist due to my long back. I'm currently between bsl and waist.

atlantaz3
May 28th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm 5'2" and I think it's just as painful to get to 30 inches. If I make it there I'm guessing it will have taken seven years - which is another two!

Amara
May 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm not particularly tall but I just thought I'd chime in with sympathy. If it took *me* a long time, then I hope you have more patience than I did. :D

whiteisle
May 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi! I'm 5'11 with really, really short hair right now that I hope to one day get back to lower back length so I'm feeling the pain of a "long, long way to go!":p

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/IMG_4996-1.jpg

Pegasus Marsters
May 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I'm 5'7-5'8ish, So not VERY tall but still tall enough to know what you mean. Lucky for me I have a short torso but once I get past classic it'll take forever to get any further progress XD

DaveDecker
May 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi! I'm 5'11 with really, really short hair right now that I hope to one day get back to lower back length so I'm feeling the pain of a "long, long way to go!":p

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/wcanderson/IMG_4996-1.jpg

Greetings whiteisle! I see this is your first post in the community. Welcome :)

I'm 6'0" and it seems about average for men. And of course men's torsos are, on average, relatively longer women's torsos. It took me 5 years to grow my hair from your length to my waist -- and it grew at the average rate of 6 inches per year.

whiteisle
May 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Greetings whiteisle! I see this is your first post in the community. Welcome :)

I'm 6'0" and it seems about average for men. And of course men's torsos are, on average, relatively longer women's torsos. It took me 5 years to grow my hair from your length to my waist -- and it grew at the average rate of 6 inches per year.

Hi DaveDecker! Thanks for the welcome! And the encouragement! Wow - 5 years seems so long right now but I know I won't think that once I get the chance to look back, right?!:)

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm 5'9" and it makes me feel like hair grows slow sometimes. I already posted this on the "How many inches is waist" thread, but 32 inches to waist for me. 7 inches and counting...

MoldyCake
May 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'm 6 foot.

I'm currently between bsl and waist too!! I feel your pain.

We can get there! Yo! :rockerdud

Elainehali
May 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm 5'9" but seem to have all my height in my torso. (kinda like a weener dog).

=P On the bright side my hair is straight, so every inch counts.

Speedbump
May 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I sympathize! I'm right under 5'8" and it seemed to take forever for me to get from BSL to waist/hip. The journey to tailbone was definitely shorter, but my journey to classic is going to be another long haul. I have a long torso and shortish legs for my height and right now have no goals past classic, so I'll never see the benefit of those short legs. :lol:

nessthing
May 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
5'11 here. It's especially annoying when you have way more hair than people who's hair reaches farther on their bodies than yours does. Like... no fair. I still have to wash a lot of hair, I just get much less goal-reachage for my work.

I guess I don't have a lot to complain about though, my hair grows around an inch a month. I've been growing for about four years. I think I should be maybe tailbone this time next year? That will make it five years growing from a bit above shoulders.

Gylfi
May 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm 6'6", and my hair is barely beyond my waist at 36" long :(

Oberon88
May 28th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I just measured, I have about 3 1/2 - four inches to go and then I would barely be at my waist...

DecafJane
May 28th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm 6'1" too, which is why my hair doesn't go past my shoulders as much as other people with hair the same length. However, I am also another lucky person with fast growth. :)

Kuchen
May 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
5ft 11in. Shoulders to BSL (my start measurement to current) took me two and a half years, although that included a lot of trimming. More trimming to go till I reach my second goal (my target in my profile).

Unnamed
May 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'm 5'7-5'8ish, So not VERY tall but still tall enough to know what you mean. Lucky for me I have a short torso but once I get past classic it'll take forever to get any further progress XD

This is about where I'm at, except that I'm 5'9". So not tall, tall.

I have a super short torso (especially for my height), so getting to hip was rather quick, and even classic (~38"!) was easy. Past classic and it's been soooo slow though, to where it doesn't feel like my hair is getting longer at all. I'm really paying for the quickly reaching classic part with my long legs (which account for a bit more than half my height).

biggeorge
May 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I'm 6'1" but if I would have had a neck I would be 6'4"! Therefore my hair appears longer on my back because of that!

chelly
May 29th, 2008, 02:25 AM
(kinda like a weener dog).

thats such a cute comment :D it made me giggle

Jeni
May 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I'm 5'10", normally that's pretty tall for a girl, but apparently not on this thread! I think I'm pretty normal BSL and up, so it shouldn't take me a super long time to get there (I hope), but I am really long from BSL to waist, so that is going to suck. I have no plans to go past waist or hip, which is good, my legs are long (35" inseam, so not freakishly long, but long none the less).

Jeni

My best friend in HS was 5'2", she use to call me an Amazon and joke on me (in a nice way) that I was too tall (yea I went to school with midgets apparently). She said the reason short guys want to date me is they want to climb me (I'm a mountain?). I would just get annoyed and put my elbow on her head and she shut up. Darned short people always yappy, like little dogs....Kidding! It's almost 5am I should probably go to bed now, I'm rambling.

Ashley
May 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I'm around 5'7"-ish, not sure how tall exactly... but it took me 2,5 years to get to waist. I also have straight hair, but it sure does take a while.

TheHuman
May 29th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I'm 6', and like Elaniehali, I'm also a like weiner dog:laugh: It does take forever for my hair to get "long" even though it grows pretty fast.

levelek
May 29th, 2008, 03:49 AM
180 cm here, which I think is between 5'10 and 5'11. I guess what helped was that my hair grew to waist length purely through neglect, so I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time. I honestly couldn't tell how long it took to get there.

jel
May 29th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I'm 5'10", waist at 33", and my hair decided to slow down a bit a couple of inches before. Almost half of my old journal consists of moaning 'Not waist yet! Grrr!' :o So I sympathise.

But guess what - it does grow! :D And so will yours. Just relax and give it time.

Loviatar
May 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I feel your pain Oberon! I'm 5 foot 10 but it will take 27 inches to reach BSL for me, and 42 for tail bone! :( Long bodies are not hair friendly!

DaveDecker
May 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hi DaveDecker! Thanks for the welcome! And the encouragement! Wow - 5 years seems so long right now but I know I won't think that once I get the chance to look back, right?!:)

Where do you want to be in 2013?

You can have any length you like, from where you are now to as long as waist-length. :)

When I started growing out and for some years into the process, I looked at my hair growth with that perspective in mind. It worked out well. :agree:

trolleypup
May 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
5' 11", but I mostly avoided the growth angst because I wasn't focused on my hair (benign neglect with a side order of ignore). By the time I was really interested in it, I was pretty much at terminal, where I am now.

lora410
May 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm 5'9" and I used to think I didn't have a long back just long in the legs. Eh yeah I think I'm long in both areas. I can't complain though, since I went from shoulder to almost bsl in a little over a year.Some days though it feel like it will take FOREVER

MsBubbles
May 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
5 '10", hair currently 24" so just touching bra strap. It will be forever till I get to my highly anticipated waist length, which I think is around 33" or so (giraffe neck and long back). Try not to feel bad about yourself (if you do), because being tall may help you look all floaty and serene, so that may make up for the lack of hair-reachage. Well that's what I tell myself anyway!

Tapioca
May 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Oh, I feel your pain. I'm 6'4", and my hair is just about waist at 36".

Chromis
May 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm 5'10", normally that's pretty tall for a girl, but apparently not on this thread! I think I'm pretty normal BSL and up, so it shouldn't take me a super long time to get there (I hope), but I am really long from BSL to waist, so that is going to suck. I have no plans to go past waist or hip, which is good, my legs are long (35" inseam, so not freakishly long, but long none the less).

Jeni

My best friend in HS was 5'2", she use to call me an Amazon and joke on me (in a nice way) that I was too tall (yea I went to school with midgets apparently). She said the reason short guys want to date me is they want to climb me (I'm a mountain?). I would just get annoyed and put my elbow on her head and she shut up. Darned short people always yappy, like little dogs....Kidding! It's almost 5am I should probably go to bed now, I'm rambling.

Hey! Who do you think *yap* *yap* *yap*....

I'm shortish average, but have a verrrrry long torso. I'm forever looking for long shirts and have to tug at even those and bathing suits send me into fits!

Ms Monnie
May 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I'm 5'9" and I'm feeling rather short reading this thread. I do envy those people who can have the impact of having hair down to a certain place on the body without having to grow quite so many inches. 40 inches is bang on tailbone on me.

Having said that. I'd still like to be much taller :D.

Saranne772
May 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Well I am not tall and never more thankful!!

It surely helped me being short but I find it still takes ages when you are short

mommy101405
May 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I am 5'9" and I have a very long neck. It has seemed like forever to get my hair to lay on my shoulders. I can't imagine how long waist would take. Though my goal right now is only bsl.

Alethia
May 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I am 5'11" and my hair is about 43" long. A few strands of my tapering hemline are truly at classic. I don't think that's any longer than classic would be on a shorter person, is it? I'm curious. :)

wintersun99
May 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM

emeraldfaery
May 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure what is considered "tall", but I am 5'8. It may take awhile to grow hair that actually looks long compaired to our body proportions, but in the end the results are so worth it!

nomadhome
May 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Oh yes, I am almost six feet and I have a short friend whose hair is the same length, but on her it is waist and on me-- BSL.

mommy101405
May 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Wow, we have a lot of tall people on here. I thought 5'9" was tall but I guess not so much :D. I guess I feel very tall all the time since my dh is only 5'6". :whistle:

rubyann
May 29th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'm 5'10". My hair is 26.5 inches. If I stretch out my wurlies, it's BSL. Sure doesn't look that way when it's just hanging around doing it's wavy thing! Waist seems so far away. I'll get there sooner or later. I mean, what else am I gonna be doing for the next coupla years?!?

I do sometimes get the "it's no fair" syndrome, when my petite friend's hair is the same length as mine but hits her waist. Ah well, as my daddy always said, "Honey, you know, life just ain't fair, so get used to it."

PatGear
May 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm 5' tall and frankly I'd much rather be taller with shorter hair! Hair grows, the rest of me doesn't.

CurlyNinja
May 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Wow there are some tall people here!!

I'm 5'8", so not very tall, but tall enough to get frustrated! It seems like my back goes on forever sometimes! Fortunately I carry most of my height in my legs (my friends and I call people like this "stealth tall" because when sitting they look perfectly average) so it's not so bad at this stage. Sometimes I look in the mirror though and it seems like my hair, though long objectively, is so short compared to the rest of me.

Xan
May 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
yeah I hear ya I'm 5'11" and just getting at waist 37"

maskedrose
May 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not super tall (especially compared to some people here) at just under 5'8, but I have a long neck and super long torso. I just fully reached BSL at 27", and waist is about 33". One more year to go!! However, I do envy some of you taller folks - I was supposed to be 6' (many of my family members are in the 6'4-6'7 range), so I feel kinda gyped :) 5'11 seems like a perfect height!

Oberon88
May 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I am excited that there are so many tall people here! I exist in a sea of small people, which makes me often feel like a giant. (A guy at trader joes called me a giraffe the other day...)
But anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone!

DecafJane
May 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
. (A guy at trader joes called me a giraffe the other day...)

That is so rude!!! I once had a patient tell me that I was so tall because of "chicken hormones". I told him I was the height I am because of genetics. He didn't believe me. People are so rude AND dense, sometimes. :rolleyes:

Oberon88
May 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Quote Decafjane: That is so rude!!! I once had a patient tell me that I was so tall because of "chicken hormones". I told him I was the height I am because of genetics. He didn't believe me. People are so rude AND dense, sometimes.

Thank you!!!! People are always rude. He was offering me a sample of something and I said "No thanks," and he replied with "I thought giraffes loved leafy greens!"
That was I suppose are more amusing dig at my height. Usually its just statements like "WOW you're tall" Like I didnt know.... *grumbles*

DecafJane
May 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I always want to answer, "Wow, you're tall!" with "Wow, you're smart!" :D

Jeni
May 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I've had guys, shorter then me, say things that are not quite rude, but really close, about my height. If I'm in a good mood I ignore them, if not I usually try to slip in some comment about being a "little man". It's amazing how sensitive guys are over height! If I'm feeling especially b**chy I will wear heels while out and make sure I can look down at all the little men....

Tapioca
May 30th, 2008, 03:30 PM
My mom always told me when people ask "How's the weather up there?" to spit on them and tell them it's raining.
My usualy response when people say "Wow, you're tall!" is "And I'm the short one of the family." (I'm 6'4", but Dad's 6'5", and my brothers are 6'6" and 6'8".)

n3m3sis42
May 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not tall in the least (only 5'4"). However, I do have a long neck and torso. My hair is at 29.5" inches and it still looks like it's maybe 2 inches or so away from being truly at waist. I guess my natural waist is at 31" or 32", which means it's around as far for me as it is for a lot of people who are 5'9" or 5'10".

It makes me sad!

trolleypup
May 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
"How's the weather up there?"

"I dunno...but did you know you have the cutest little bald spot?"

Nothing like being a city bus driver to train you how to say something remarkably rude in response to anything, anytime.

Red_Wednesday
May 30th, 2008, 09:48 PM
"How's the weather up there?"

"I dunno...but did you know you have the cutest little bald spot?"

Nothing like being a city bus driver to train you how to say something remarkably rude in response to anything, anytime.

:rollin: Now, that's funny:D:D!!

I'm 5'11", I just did another major chop:( - seems like it'll take me forever to get to waist:rolleyes:.

Marij
May 31st, 2008, 05:12 AM
I'm 185 cm (6ft) and just over bsl at 77 cm (+/-30 inches) so either I have a huge back or my boobs are migrating south..... :p
But then again, people come up to me all the time saying how wonderful it must be to be so tall. -Jeah, I love wearing men's shoes and making my own pants and long skirts! :cheer:

Speedbump
May 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM
-Jeah, I love wearing men's shoes and making my own pants and long skirts! :cheer:

I wear men's shoes most of the time too! :D I wear size 11 or 12 wide in women's shoes, so I can often wear a 8.5-9 in men's and they fit perfectly. WAY better than women's shoes, anyway. And another thing: Yay Zappos.com with the big-arse chick shoes! :cheese:

Marij
May 31st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the tip speedbump -must definitely check out! :D
Once in a while I do get a girlie moment, and some feminin shoes would go nice with that!!:flower:

nomadhome
May 31st, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm 185 cm (6ft) and just over bsl at 77 cm (+/-30 inches) so either I have a huge back or my boobs are migrating south..... :p
But then again, people come up to me all the time saying how wonderful it must be to be so tall. -Jeah, I love wearing men's shoes and making my own pants and long skirts! :cheer:

So you're about my height and you really can't find clothes to fit even if you order online? Would it be possible to get overseas shipping from a US company?

When people say something about how nice it is to be tall, I often want to launch into an analysis of the pros and cons-- because for me it is wonderful, but also problematic.

Ms Monnie
May 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Do any of you tall women wear high heals? I can't personally because I'd be a danger to myself and others, however I would if I could. I was talking to another girl who was 5'8", which is an inch smaller than me and she said she hated being tall because she couldn't wear heals without sticking out too much. I thought that was mad! I think tall women look brilliant in heals, so wonderfully statuesque.

CurlyNinja
May 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
It's amazing how sensitive guys are over height! If I'm feeling especially b**chy I will wear heels while out and make sure I can look down at all the little men....

Do any of you tall women wear high heals? I can't personally because I'd be a danger to myself and others, however I would if I could. I was talking to another girl who was 5'8", which is an inch smaller than me and she said she hated being tall because she couldn't wear heals without sticking out too much. I thought that was mad! I think tall women look brilliant in heals, so wonderfully statuesque.

I love the look of heels, but seldom wear them because I feel very tall, and not in a good way. My boyfriend is the exact same height as me, and while I know it shouldn't bother me to be taller than him (it's just a Victorian notion! Victorian! Notion!) it still makes me feel like a bit of an oaf. I do enjoy wearing heels when I want to feel especially powerful though, like when I'm performing on stage, going for an interview, or have an important meeting.

I'm never bothered by being taller than many guys (except for my boyfriend :o) in heels, it's the TOWERING over the girls that makes me feel dumpy and awkward. The short women always look so much more delicate and petite next to me in heels, which in my mind translates as "awkward stringbean" not "leggy model."

jel
May 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I love heels! Most of my everyday shoes have 2"-3" inch heels, and I have a few going-out pairs with really high heels. Until recently I didn't have a single pair of flatties, not counting trainers...

My SO is 6'4", and just recently, on a trip to Athens (where the general population seems to hover at around 5 feet) a market seller called us a couple of Titans... :bigeyes: LOL!

Gemma
May 31st, 2008, 04:06 PM

I'm 5'11 and absolutely LOVE shoes that make me hit 6ft! Sadly, they don't love me. :( I have really sensitive feet, and high heels usually cause me excruciating amounts of pain. When I find heels that are comfortable, I will literally wear them until they fall apart.

But standing out in a crowd because of my height is actually really fun. :)

SlingMomEsq
May 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am tall, too. Close to 6 foot. I love heels and yes, it takes me a loooong time to get to waist length!

Gwaihiril
May 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm 5'8" and it's taken me 10 years to get knee length, though I admit that I have been growing taller as my hair has gotten longer, so I was around waist length for a very long time.

nomadhome
May 31st, 2008, 09:51 PM

I wish I could tell you I wear heels, but I rarely do. I couldn't wear them often anyway because they are horrible for the feet/joints/back, etc. and don't keep my feet warm in the winter. I occasionally wear heeled boots with a skirt, but even then I have to admit that it does make me a little uncomfortable to be taller than my fiance. He is exactly my height, but when you add in my better posture and heels, I am noticeably taller. I shouldn't care. I don't want to care. But I do. He doesn't mind at all.

In contrast, an ex of mine once picked me up to go out for my birthday and when I came to the door in 2 inch heels that made me taller than him, his response was a horrified, "You're not actually wearing those are you?" :mad:

pinkprincess
June 2nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm 5ft 11 and waist will be about 33-34" I think, but luckily I have longer legs and shorter body. But also since you're speaking about shoe size too, I only have size 6 feet lol

Tapioca
June 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I was in a wedding once and had to wear 3" heels. So that made me 6'7". Nooooo thank you. After the wedding, I gave the shoes to my sister. She loves them, but she's only 6'.

levelek
June 3rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
[snip]
I'm never bothered by being taller than many guys (except for my boyfriend :o) in heels, it's the TOWERING over the girls that makes me feel dumpy and awkward. The short women always look so much more delicate and petite next to me in heels, which in my mind translates as "awkward stringbean" not "leggy model."

Same here! I don't mind the guys but I feel like a lumbering giant next to some petite girls. There are three other young women in my work place whom I meet often, and they are all miniature size even for women. I feel absolutely ridiculous talking to them while standing.

My SO, however is short for a guy - he's about 5 cm shorter than me barefooot, and he loves if I wear heels! I'm convinced he is just in denial about how ridiculous we look together, but hey. I like my heels and he likes feeling he's got a tall, modelesque girlfriend. :D

DecafJane
June 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
I like wearing heels, but they are not as comfortable as flat shoes. Thus, I mainly wear flats. :o
I find that compared with finding clothing that fits well, my hair length (in the context of height) is the least of my worries. ;)

Millielie
June 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'm 5'9" and it looks like the hair from anyone else grows faster than mine does. I have to be patient...

To answer the other question: I rarely wear heels. Just for special occasions.

havana86
June 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised to see theres plenty of other tall sistahs (for the heck of it:cool:) here as well! I am 5'11, and have pretty much been the same height since I was 16. So I'm getting used to it. I used to wear heels when I was 17,18, but I have some issues with my self esteem now, considering my skin problems etc. so I don't feel comfortable making a statement in heels at this point in my life. But I'm sure I will return to stilettos later in life, becouse I love the look!

My hair has pretty much stayed at BSL for over a year now, and I believe I will have to wait a couple of more years before my hair will reach waist in a healthy state (with trims that is).

My hair is actually 23 inches now, so I guess this would have been waist length on a shorter person:rolleyes:

And considering this:

Same here! I don't mind the guys but I feel like a lumbering giant next to some petite girls. There are three other young women in my work place whom I meet often, and they are all miniature size even for women. I feel absolutely ridiculous talking to them while standing.

I know exactly how you feel! But I get so angry at my self when I feel this way, becouse not only am I patronizing my self, but also being very judgmental on the other women as well. Maybe they aren't even noticing the height difference in the same scale as we do. Perhaps they aren't the ones ridiculing the height difference, that's only on yourself.
So this thought-pattern is something I'm working hard on quitting. You're only putting restraints on your own life, and if you have true confidence this wouldn't be an issue. You can still be feminine and beautiful at any height!

MsBubbles
June 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM

I can relate! It has taken me the past 28 years of being 5 ft 10 to turn that feeling around, and to realize that the 5 ft nothing to 5 ft 3 gals I seem to always find as best friends probably feel horribly short and insignificant with me towering over them. The first time I had an inkling of what this must be like was on a trip to Hamburg, Germany, where I noticed almost all the women were my height or taller, and the guys were about 7 feet tall. Maybe I just got lucky and encountered mostly just tall people there. But still, I felt like a shrimp all of a sudden, and almost as if I were being closed in on!

I have always envied my 5 ft friends though, for naturally standing tall, where I always slouched to hide my height.

Having a bf who constantly tells me how much he loves me being tall has helped me overcome years of self-loathing in that department (he worships long hair, too).

Millielie
June 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
The first time I had an inkling of what this must be like was on a trip to Hamburg, Germany, where I noticed almost all the women were my height or taller, and the guys were about 7 feet tall.

Most of my girlfriends are about my height (5'9") a few are even taller! The men I know are usually not that tall but 2 or 3 inch taller than me. I also had a relationship once to someone who has been smaller than me, that has been a little bit weird :o

In our music scene (don't know if this is the right word) it is very common that the girls wear platform shoes. They look gigantic :D

TyagoN
June 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
It's actually quite nice to know that so many of the taller women here like their height. Being tall does have its advantages as has been mentioned. :P

insideitall
June 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
I guess everyone's made fun of for something, huh?

I'm 4' 11" and was picked on horribly until mid-high school. Then I started getting picked on nicely :p

At least I'll always be able to fit into kid's clothing. :rolling:

On the plus side, you tall girls can grow to a much longer length than us shorties can!

blue_nant
June 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm 5'9" but seem to have all my height in my torso. (kinda like a weener dog). =P On the bright side my hair is straight, so every inch counts.

LOL same here with WeinerDogSyndrome! WDS! So it took forever to get to TBL, but now I'm shooting downward in length, almost to knees! Woot!

My SIL is 5'1" I am 5'6". I tower over her but her inseam is longer than mine. Go figure!

We both had to use a wooden box to get up on the trail ride horses recently in Wyoming ... sigh ... I figured I didn't want to limp the rest of my vacation, so I played it safe! Still ... *cringe*

Anathema
June 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'm slightly taller than 6 feet, and I'm loving it. I actually wish I had another 3-4 inches added, really. Only problem with being tall for me is finding pants that are long enough! :S Taller guys used to be a problem aswell, but not anymore. ;)

Since I haven't really paid much attention to the growth of my hair, I can't complain about it taking ages to get long due to being tall. It's just a price you have to pay I guess when nature decides how everything will turn out.

Angela_Rose
June 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
i'm 5'9" and i'm just hitting 41" with the hair.
i love being taller... my poor 5'4" mom can't understand why i love wearing heels.

Gladtobemom
June 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm almost 5'9" and it's a long way from BSL to tailbone on me. Like over a 17", people call me "long waisted" but I've been about waist length for quite a while.

truepeacenik
June 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
a couple thoughts from a shrimp:
if you have it, flaunt it. Tall? Wear heels!
fairy-like and short? skip heels and embrace your short stature.

I have almost NO torso, so waist was easy. I'm longer legged (my proportions are for a much taller person, all legs)
NOW I'm waiting...and waiting fingertip will take a long time.

Curlsgirl
June 29th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I just love this thread! I thought I had posted here before but couldn't find it. Anyway, I am 5'8" with a long torso and am at 30 inches of hair pulled straight and at least 4 more to make it to waist curly (sigh). I used to hate being tall but now I am FINALLY loving it. I can carry my weight much better for one thing which is a big plus. I am STILL trying to get over the slumping and trying to be shorter and am doing pretty well on it but I see pictures sometimes where I have terrible posture. I have found that weight-training helps with this tremenously, especially bench press type weights. I worked with a girl once who was a bit taller than me that inspired me a lot too. She wore heels and stood up VERY straight obviously not at all ashamed of her height. I started to be like her for a while but since she left I have sort of slipped back out of it. I am glad for this reminder here!

funnybunny668
June 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
5'7" here; not overly tall, but probably a bit taller than average, since I'm the tallest of 10 females at work. I have some trouble finding pants that are long enough, but I mostly wear flats, boots, sneakers, or sandals.

lirael
June 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm 5'8" and my 5'2" sister and I have always had the same length hair and hers has always looked far longer than me. It's not fair!

lilalong
June 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I have a long neck, which, I guess, makes reaching shoulder painfully long. I luckily haven't been at that stage in a while.

Sian100
June 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I am nearly 6ft tall, but waist is 31in on me, so it isn't that bad. My inside leg measurement is half of my total height, so I may or may not be short waisted. I know tucked in shirts look bloody awful on me though.

I used to care about my height as a teenager, but it's not something I think about much anymore. I remember as a teenager in the 1990s I used to wear 3-4in heels a lot of the time, as the only flat shoes around then seemed to be tassled loafers for middle aged people. It was good, because people stared so much that I stopped noticing them after a while. I still don't notice what strangers do today because of this. I think this is good.

I am very happy that there are a wide range of flats these days though, mainly because they are more comfortable.

The only problem I have now is trouser length, plus I have hips that are much bigger than my waist on top of this, so I have become very skilled in sewing. :D

ETA: Also, to be noticed as a tall woman, you simply have to walk into a room. This was difficult for me as a teenager, but it's something I take for granted a lot now.

lilalong
June 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
ETA: Also, to be noticed as a tall woman, you simply have to walk into a room. This was difficult for me as a teenager, but it's something I take for granted a lot now.

That is so very true. The only thing we have to do is to pull the shoulders back and smile, and we are immediately perceived as confident. It's funny, because I'm actually painfully shy.

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm 5'10 and I don't think I will ever get to BSL. Even worse my hair only grows about 4 inches a year with 3 trims. (I have to trim because I have old color and perm on ends.) I also have a pretty long torso, so it may be 10 years before I reach my goal. Oh well, at least I have LHC until then....

Delenn
June 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm 5'9" and my height is definitely in my legs. Then I have the double whammy of my hairtype requiring even more length to accomplish the same updos as everyone else. I just can't win! (I still can't get an infinity bun to work with any consistency, but I'm getting close!)

After reading more replies to this thread:
It's good to see your viewpoints on your height, it makes me realize the things I've experienced aren't just "me." Feeling like an awkward gorilla around shorter & petite girls, hunching over a lot, being teased and called an amazon. I still have my moments but for the most part I almost wish I was a little taller, team it with long hair and I love the reaction I get. Especially when I wear heels, which I try to do whenever possible. (platforms mostly, I still don't "get" stilettos or regular pumps and don't think I ever will...)

burns_erin
June 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
DH is a bit over 6 foot and his hair grows verryyyyyyyyyyyyy slowly, like maybe 3 inches a year. He also works construction (Iron Working) and is always catching his hair on fire or getting tacky tape wrapped into a know in his hair. And his kneck is very long. So, it has taken him over 5 years to get to shoulder blade length. I had a very short bob last year and my hair is already almost as long as his.