PDA

View Full Version : Is this total heresy here or what ?

Aveyronnaise
October 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM
SO i am a newbie on my hair journey here, I am a little longer than shoulder length and my hair is pretty layered. Mainly it is so layered because i haven't trimmed over a year.
My hair is super thick and I have to say I really like how it is growing out with layers... hides... Does anyone else have a positive experience with growing long with layers ?
I am asking because i will probably get my yearly trim and shape and I am wanting to keep the shorter layers around my face and such , I feel they are becoming, and keep my hair more manageable and wavy.
I seem to have a problem keeping my hair put up when it is longer due to heaviness, i am hoping this will help.
thoughts input ?

XcaliburGirl
October 27th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Don't worry; it may not be the most popular option on here, but it's not a heresy. I think there's even a layer-lovers thread somewhere.

I have layers now and I purposefully asked for them when I got my last trim because I like the bounciness they give my medium-length hair. Without them, my hair looks really blah at this length. I'm not planning to trim for years because I like fairy-tale ends, but if I end up maintaining at my goal length, I'll probably get long layers rather than a blunt cut.

The only caution I have is that shorter and/or fresh-cut layers are harder to get into updos. If you're not an updo person, or if you don't mind bobby pins: no problem.

If you like them, keep them. :)

Dani
October 27th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I say whatever works for you is what you should do, and I know most people here would say the same. Whatever you feel is best applies to every aspect of your life, by the way. ;) There are no hard and fast rules for caring for your hair or doing whatever you want to it, but it seems like I see posts all the time with people feeling bad and/or guilty because of some perceived "hair infraction", or something. :p Do whatever you want to do, and if you actually have a problem dealing with your hair, then ask about it. :)

I have the same issue you do, that when my hair is long it is very heavy and can give me headaches if I do the wrong style, and layers are nice because they take off weight, add bounciness and waviness and I just like a more mussed up look in general. But I love having my hair in a blunt cut also; both are great for me, and they both require some kind of adjustment of some sort. (Like a blunt cut is heaviest and is hard to keep up for long, and layers make updos and braids all wacky :p). In general I like most of my hair blunt and the front layers a bit shorter to loosen it all up a bit, whether down or in braids or updos. I hope this helped a bit. :) Have fun with whatever you do! :D

Aveyronnaise
October 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I think I just wondered what experiences other people have had, and if there were any unforeseen annoyances that would come of growing out long layers. Mostly I have felt like it is a total revelation for me because of the reasons you guys mentioned, the bounciness of it is so pretty and i feel like i might actually meet my goal.
I took it down from a gibson tuck the other day and it looked so amazing ! All of the layers were and flipping up and curly and looked as if i had rolled it !

mellie89
October 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Lots of people here have very long hair with layers! Some people prefer a blunt hemline to make their hair appear thicker or to make updos easier. If you're not worried about either of those things, then go ahead and keep your layers, by all means! I think long, layered hair looks so beautiful when it's down or in a ponytail.

When my hair was the longest it's ever been (a little past BSL), I had long layers and it looked great. My hair has never been extremely long, so we'll have to wait for someone with longer layered hair to chime in. :D

UltraBella
October 27th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Layer lover here !!!!!!
I can't imagine my hair without layers, I think I would really dislike it all one length.

KittyLost
October 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
As my hair gets longer I'll be getting some layers to avoid triangle head :)

Toadstool
October 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I love layers!

manderly
October 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I look ridiculous without layers (poof or triangle).

kitschy
October 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I got my layers touched up last night so they blended in better. I will need to continue doing this as my hair gets longer.

(notice the "shelf" where my layers aren't blending very well in my siggy - maybe I'll get a new pict soon)

Gypsygirl
October 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
My hair is layered because it is so heavy and because it looks better on me when I wear it down- which is how I wear it most of the time. I only ever braid it to get waves- but if I do braid it or put it in a bun, the ends poke out. That means, the only kind of updo I ever wear in public is a half-up style or a simple ponytail.
I think it largely depends on what kind of look you like best and whether you want to wear a lot of updos or prefer wearing your hair down.

HintOfMint
October 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I NEEDED layers as my hair was growing out. When my hair was above BSL, it simply didn't look right without a significant amount of layering. At a blunt cut, It looked a bit sloppy with my waves, like I didn't care what my hair looked like. With layers, it made the growing out process much easier and better.

TinaDenali
October 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I love my layers. It does make it harder to keep up in up-do's and braiding it harder, but I love the way it looks when it's down, which is how I wear it 95% of the time. :)

hairobsessed1
October 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I look ridiculous without layers (poof or triangle).

same applies to me. Im currently about APL when curly and about BSL when stretched. My hair feels and looks so much better long and layered (I had my hair long and all one length before and hated it). I find whether i have it curly, wavy, straight, up or down the layers compliment every look- i will always have my layers even when/if :pray: i reach my goal length - hip legth. The only down side i can think of is that layers do make it more difficult to self trim at home- i am only brave enough to target and snip split ends rather than cutting the entire bottom of a layer off.

chopandchange
October 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
The only down side i can think of is that layers do make it more difficult to self trim at home- i am only brave enough to target and snip split ends rather than cutting the entire bottom of a layer off.

I'm the complete opposite. Trimming my layered hair is incredibly easy for me, but I find doing a blunt trim on my own hair difficult to get right!

Igor
October 27th, 2010, 11:28 AM
What makes you think that would be a heresy? No, really, I would very much like to know why you would think that :confused:

Dolly
October 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I got my hair past BSL and it was all one length.....I wore it like that for quite a while before I admitted that I HATED it! Mine is layered, and will stay that way for now!!

little_cherry
October 27th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have slight layers, especially in the front....my hair is odd; I need some layering to keep it interesting, otherwise, my hair doesn't suit my body..

Sanyia
October 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I have a bit of long layers, and love them.

Lady Mary
October 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I see a lot of wavy and curly girls on the board with layers (some straight hairs too!) I can imagine with thick hair or curls that layers would help make it more manageable. They do look rather beautiful on a lot of folks too :flower:

ddiana1979
October 27th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have layers. The last time I had my hair cut (January) I asked for an above shoulder length cut with layers. Since I don't want to blunt cut off all my growth, it's going to stay layered until either minor trims get rid of it, or until I get to goal & have it evened up. I personally don't think they look bad. They add a little flip at the end of my otherwise extremely straight hair. Plus the pieces around my face (which were formerly side swept bangs) frame my face nicely.

LaurelSpring
October 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think it has alot to do with hair type and length. For me layers were great at apl and even toward bsl although it can make some updos almost impossible. Once I started creeping toward waist they were a total pain. This also has to do with my fine hair. The layers at longer lengths just made it look really thin and straggly at the ends. Now I need that thickness. I did like the illusion of fairytale ends at some point but now I would prefer real ones. The thin ends can also help anchor some updos eventually. I have seen some great pics of layered hair on here but it just doesnt work on me anymore.

Bene
October 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
SO i am a newbie on my hair journey here, I am a little longer than shoulder length and my hair is pretty layered. Mainly it is so layered because i haven't trimmed over a year.
My hair is super thick and I have to say I really like how it is growing out with layers... hides... Does anyone else have a positive experience with growing long with layers ?
I am asking because i will probably get my yearly trim and shape and I am wanting to keep the shorter layers around my face and such , I feel they are becoming, and keep my hair more manageable and wavy.
I seem to have a problem keeping my hair put up when it is longer due to heaviness, i am hoping this will help.
thoughts input ?

Why would you think it's heresy?

Athena's Owl
October 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM
As my hair gets longer I'll be getting some layers to avoid triangle head :)

heh! I am sitting at this current length to thicken up the hemline, but if i had it all blunt then i'd have Triangle butt!

KittyLost
October 28th, 2010, 03:23 AM
heh! I am sitting at this current length to thicken up the hemline, but if i had it all blunt then i'd have Triangle butt!

Same here! I keep it blunt to grow it and thicken up then get layers once I've reached BSL. I wouldn't mind a blunt cut after seeing all the lovely long hairs on here with blunt cuts but my hair type would hate me for it and make me look silly :D

DuckyDot
October 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I have layers and they make my hair look so much better. But I'm growing them out to see what I look like without them. You can do whatever you want with your hair, Layers or no layers. :) Don't worry we won't call the LHC police :)

crystal_89
October 28th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Nothing wrong with layers. I prefer layers in my own hair as opposed to blunt ends.

FrannyG
October 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Wow, I can't believe that you think you have to run and hide because you like your layers or that you consider it heresy. I hope you don't think we're all that judgmental here. :confused:

I love layers, and if my hair was not so straight and fine, I would have them.

With your hair type and thickness, I think layers are probably the way to go.

I look forward to watching your progress. :blossom:

lara grace
October 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
A couple of years ago I cut my hair into a horrible extremely layered, jagged cut and I'm still trying to get my hair to grow back into a nice all one length style. However I love slight layers on long hair, it gives more volume and movement I think.

Aveyronnaise
October 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Why would you think it's heresy?
Oh gosh , I am just super silly so my wording might be weird to some people. I just see so many pretty pictures of smooth hair here and i read quite a few complaints about hair not being all the same length etc.
All the same length seemed to be the dominant goal.However I see now that a lot of the pictures i thought were all the same length are actually layered so that is interesting as well.
So in short I didn't mean it weird or anything.

Bonkers57
October 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I don't have layers for the same reason - my hair is uber straight and fine. But I know that layers look great with some other hair types. Hang around long enough and you'll see there's about every preference under the sun. :)

Wow, I can't believe that you think you have to run and hide because you like your layers or that you consider it heresy. I hope you don't think we're all that judgmental here. :confused:

I love layers, and if my hair was not so straight and fine, I would have them.

With your hair type and thickness, I think layers are probably the way to go.

I look forward to watching your progress. :blossom: