PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a product to make my waves stand out more

CanadaSquirrel
October 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know of a product that I can put in my hair after it's dry, to make my waves kinda stand out from each other as opposed to going into one big lump after I comb it, as shown in the blurry picture below?

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k222/Thanksgiving2003/DSCF1965.jpg

shockinglength
October 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe you can try aloe vera gel?

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Shu Uemura's liquid fabric spray gets excellent reviews from my friends, but if you're trying to avoid cones then I'm afraid it does contain those (^(oo)^)v

skaempfer
October 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Don't know if this is what you mean, but Mariika started a thread about lemon juice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+juice+curls) (diluted, of course) which worked very well for her- might be worth a shot?

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Shu Uemura's liquid fabric spray gets excellent reviews from my friends, but if you're trying to avoid cones then I'm afraid it does contain those (^(oo)^)v

Thanks. I just looked that up and saw it on Amazon for over $33 a bottle. Can that be right??? I'm thinking maybe something for less than $10 from the grocery store like Frizz-Ease (but not Frizz-Ease as I've tried that in the past and can't remember why but ended up not liking it for some reason... maybe I should try it again.)

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Don't know if this is what you mean, but Mariika started a thread about lemon juice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745&highlight=lemon+juice+curls) (diluted, of course) which worked very well for her- might be worth a shot?

I can try lemon and see what it does. Thanks. (My picture was taken after using a few tbsp vinegar in my final rinse water and although it felt softer and looked fluffier, it's still not the way I'd like it to look.)

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Also, is there a way to edit the title of my post? I tried to yesterday, and all it did was change it in here where I can see the title has changed but then when I look on the Mane Forum, it's still the same title. I wanted the word "pic" to be seen so people know there is a picture. Personally, I love looking at posts that have pictures and usually bee-line to those!

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I might try the lemon juice too. I know I use lemon juice to lighten my hair and its crunchy!
I wonder what dilution they are recommending?

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I might try the lemon juice too. I know I use lemon juice to lighten my hair and its crunchy!

Lemon juice makes the hair "crunchy"??? Like stiff, or what?

lapushka
October 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Spray it lightly with some distilled water to which you add some glycerin (anything from a teaspoon to half water / half glycerin, depending on how F-C, wavy-curly your hair is).

MClass
October 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
My daughter has curly hair and I am having awesome luck with Herbal Essences "tousle me softly" finishing touch cream aka the purple jar. My friend who is a part of another ethnic hair care forum says it is getting awesome reviews over there.

I find it holds without tangling. I even use it when I braid my hair at night. It does have cones though.

duh_its_Sarah
October 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
yes crunchy. very crunchy! And lightens hair.

cmnt831
October 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM

It's a very weak dilution, like 1/2 teaspoon to a cup of water. I can't remember exactly, but I tried it a few times and it left my hair feeling very soft. At that dilution it's not supposed to lighten the hair, either. There's a lot of info on the thread that was linked above.

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM
My daughter has curly hair and I am having awesome luck with Herbal Essences "tousle me softly" finishing touch cream aka the purple jar. My friend who is a part of another ethnic hair care forum says it is getting awesome reviews over there.

I find it holds without tangling. I even use it when I braid my hair at night. It does have cones though.

I like the Herbal Essences products. Fun names, nice smells, and they're cheap. :) I remember seeing that one at the store. Will add to grocery list!

little_cherry
October 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM

1 teaspoon lemon juice to 2.5 cups (500ml) is the dilution. It will not lighten hair and will not dry it. As Ktani pointed out in her post, (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1212896&postcount=24) it's the mucilage that helps with smoothing things down and defining the waves/curls...it's almost like using cones, but it washes out in water.

Perhaps you should try honey lightning (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148&highlight=Honey+thread) (olive oil, honey, cinnamon)? It won't dry your tresses out. :)

I can try lemon and see what it does. Thanks. (My picture was taken after using a few tbsp vinegar in my final rinse water and although it felt softer and looked fluffier, it's still not the way I'd like it to look.)
The lemon juice is a step ahead of the vinegar rinses since it contains mucilage and sugars. I highly recommend the lemon rinse. Use either ReaLemon bottled lemon juice or the real stuff. I've tested both with great results.

Anje
October 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
A little hair gel or aloe vera gel worked through your damp hair should give a bit more definition. You may need to scrunch it a bit once it's dry if it's at all crisp feeling from the product. ("Scrunch out the crunch" is the phrase I've heard.)

Not sure how feasible it is for you, but one of the best ways to have defined waves or curls is simply to get all your combing done when the hair is damp (probably with conditioner in it), then don't let a comb near it when it's dry. Just fingercomb a little to get it in order if necessary and otherwise leave it alone.

spidermom
October 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Not sure how feasible it is for you, but one of the best ways to have defined waves or curls is simply to get all your combing done when the hair is damp (probably with conditioner in it), then don't let a comb near it when it's dry. Just fingercomb a little to get it in order if necessary and otherwise leave it alone.

Thanks for saving my fingers, Anje.

Alix
October 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I don't comb my hair. Detangle right before the shower, and I went cone free and my waves were like HELLO.

CanadaSquirrel
October 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I let my hair dry naturally and yes the waves are nice in that state, but the next day I wake up and MUST comb my hair. I usually wash my hair every three days or so. Time if the limiting factor.

melikai
October 27th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Also, is there a way to edit the title of my post? I tried to yesterday, and all it did was change it in here where I can see the title has changed but then when I look on the Mane Forum, it's still the same title. I wanted the word "pic" to be seen so people know there is a picture. Personally, I love looking at posts that have pictures and usually bee-line to those!

I think if you ask in Site Support, a mod may be able to help you. Otherwise, there is no way to edit your title.

As for bringing out waves, I'm also trying to find a way. I've tried lots of things, and it either looks puffy or stringy.

I heard that Garnier's Curl Sculpting Cream Gel is decent, but it's coney.
Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Leave-in and Curl Activator is also supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Wanderer09
October 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Do you like braid waves? If you want some extra waves, you could put some aloe vera gel on wet hair, braid it in the braid of your choice, then take it out when it's dry and don't comb it. I get some nice defined waves that way, that usually stay put unless I mess with them.

Bucatini
October 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I like aloe vera gel on my waves, but sometimes it feels weird to me. I was using Tresemme Tres Clean gel but can't find it ANYWHERE anymore. Recently found at Sally Beauty Supply something called "Hypoallergenic Gel" by Aura. It's based on aloe vera but has some other ingredients so it is a little softer feeling. It doesn't get flaky or weird on me. It's only been a week or two but so far I dig it for scrunching. I always make a little blend in my hand of whatever gel, with a few drops of jojoba or a pinky-fingernail's worth of coconut oil.

I think other people have given you sound advice also regarding routine. If you comb only when wet/damp, that will help your waves stand out. If you plan to scrunch, use a good treatment spray (I like the giovanni vitapro fusion spray, and the KMS volumizing one). It is a lot of manipulation and you want to protect from friction just as you would protect from heat. I also scrunch my hair with the towel to help it dry without having to use blowfryer and diffuser.

Good luck!

CanadaSquirrel
October 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks Bucatini. I checked out Giovanni Vitapro Fusion spray and the price looks affordable for me. It sounds like good stuff. Now just to find a local salon that sells it.

I'm curious about the "pinkie fingernail's worth of coconut oil". That seems like such a tiny amount of anything. Does that much even make a difference on 33" of hair?

:cheese:(There. My six-year-old son saw that emoticon and wanted me to use it. He's calling it "dancing cheese". What IS it, really?) :cheese:

CanadaSquirrel
October 28th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I just read some reviews on the Giovanni Vitapro Fusion leave-in spray. I'm excited about the mention of it being good for "touch ups when hair is dry". That's exactly what I need, being one who does not wash my hair daily.

Here's a link for where I read the reviews:

http://reviews.vitacost.com/4595/21308/giovanni-vitapro-fusion-leave-in-hair-treatment-5-1-fl-oz-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=contributorRank&dir=asc

AreWild
October 28th, 2010, 02:24 PM
It's not as natural as some of the other recommendations, but when my husband still had long hair his stylist used a product called Be Curly on him. It's from Aveda, and actually has fairly hair friendly ingredients. You can use it on damp or dry hair, and as long as you only use a tiny amount it doesn't leave that crunchy product feeling. You're supposed to scrunch and finger comb as you apply it to encourage waves/curls and general piece-y-ness. It worked well when he used it, but that wasn't very often and the he cut all his hair off. So now I have an expensive bottle of stuff I can't use wasting away in a cabinet. :rolleyes:

melikai
October 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I like aloe vera gel on my waves, but sometimes it feels weird to me. I was using Tresemme Tres Clean gel but can't find it ANYWHERE anymore. Recently found at Sally Beauty Supply something called "Hypoallergenic Gel" by Aura. It's based on aloe vera but has some other ingredients so it is a little softer feeling. It doesn't get flaky or weird on me. It's only been a week or two but so far I dig it for scrunching. I always make a little blend in my hand of whatever gel, with a few drops of jojoba or a pinky-fingernail's worth of coconut oil.

I think other people have given you sound advice also regarding routine. If you comb only when wet/damp, that will help your waves stand out. If you plan to scrunch, use a good treatment spray (I like the giovanni vitapro fusion spray, and the KMS volumizing one). It is a lot of manipulation and you want to protect from friction just as you would protect from heat. I also scrunch my hair with the towel to help it dry without having to use blowfryer and diffuser.

Good luck!

Thanks for the rec on the Aura gel - sounds nice. Also, I had totally forgotten about the Giovanni Vitapro spray! I read very good reviews about that.

Thanks Bucatini. I checked out Giovanni Vitapro Fusion spray and the price looks affordable for me. It sounds like good stuff. Now just to find a local salon that sells it.

I'm curious about the "pinkie fingernail's worth of coconut oil". That seems like such a tiny amount of anything. Does that much even make a difference on 33" of hair?

:cheese:(There. My six-year-old son saw that emoticon and wanted me to use it. He's calling it "dancing cheese". What IS it, really?) :cheese:

Yeah, you don't need much oil. Just spread that between your palms and run it down the last few inches of your hair.

Your son has it correct: it's a dancing cheese. :D

brunetka
October 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I like Garnier Wonder Waves spray for this, but they recommend applying to damp hair, not dry.

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_HAIRCARE%5EF RUCTIS%5EFRUCTIS_DISCOVER%5EFRUCTIS_WONDER_WAVES%5 EFRUCTIS_WONDER_WAVES2_RTN2&prdcode=P60091