PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear Glasses?

JulietCapulet
October 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hi, I am wondering how many people wear glasses on this forum. I have noticed that unless my hair looks nice I can't wear my glasses because I feel they cramp my style. The only time I ever feel comfortable with glasses is after I have had a blow dry at the salon. How do you all feel about wearing glasses? I can't wear contacts well because of astigmatism and I'd rather not get lasik surgery.

ChrissieM
October 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I wear glasses. I have astigmatism too, and I wore contacts for awhile, from 1994-2001. I never had a problem with them, but I switched back to glasses because I prefer the way I look in them. Have you tried another type of contacts for your astigmatism?

mrs_coffee
October 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I wear glasses and love them. I don't wear contacts. I probably have 10-12 different pairs of glasses. I like to match them to my mood and/or my outfit.

Lemur_Catta
October 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have glasses, but I usually wear contacts when I go out, because it's simpler if it rains, and because I just find contacts more comfortable :D
One thing I noticed is that I look horrible with bangs and glasses. They just cover half of my face, and it doesn't look good on me.
Anyway, I don't look good in glasses anyway, probably because my glasses aren't really flattering for my face. I had little choice though, I wanted those glasses without frames, only lenses and wire, but my optician said they would be too thick on me, since I have quite a severe myopia (is this the right word?)
Anyway, I am also astigmatic and I wear contacts just fine :) Maybe you should try some other kind of contacts and see if you are more comfortable?

Lady Mary
October 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I wear glasses, have since I was in the 6th grade. I find they do get in the way of my hair styles sometimes but I try to work around them.

faeriewings
October 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I'm a glasses kid! Mainly now I wear contacts though. On the subject, do any of you guys have the problem of hairs getting stuck in the hinges and how do you deal with it?

PS, my sister has astigmatism and wears contacts all the time.

DiablitaNoir
October 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I wear glasses too. I have to wear them all the time because I'm practically blind without them!

I also used to get hairs stuck in the hinges of my glasses and it drove me nuts! I think tightening the screws on the hinges helped, though.

NiAosSi
October 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I've been wearing them since I was 4 years old. I am now in my mid-20's. Proud bespectacled person here.

Shellby
October 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have both. I wear neither...*shhhh* I can see without them and I think I may need the bifocal type lenses. I have a hard time focusing on stuff close up. I also have astigmatism. I have had contacts for years. I like the way I look in glasses.

joyellen
October 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I wear glasses and have mild astigmatism. I used to wear contacts years ago, but they make me feel like I have sand in my eyes. I feel like I look wrong without glasses since I've been wearing them for so long now.

Anje
October 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I wear glasses. Contacts and Lasik are no-go since my eyes are pretty dry.

You might like to see another thread on them. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44793)

Lamb
October 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I guess groping around because I can't see a damn thing would cramp my style more than glasses - so, I wear them day in, day out. :)

Dragon
October 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I wear glasses. Have since I was about 3 or 4. Have never tried contacts. Wish I diden't have to wear them but the eye pain I get if I don't wear them is so not worth it. I have two pairs. One for long distance which I got made into transition lenses and another one for reading.

xpeacelovekoala
October 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I love my glasses, I tried contacts once, but they just weren't me.

It took me a while to get to this point, but I now am definitely a proud wearer of glasses. (:

JayLee
October 26th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I also wear glasses sometimes, but much rather wear my contacts. I have mild astigmatism but it does not inhibit my contact lens wearing.

Bonkers57
October 26th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I do! My eye doctor congratulated me on living long enough to need bifocals! :D

Fadedbluedreams
October 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I've worn glasses since the age of five and also have astigmatism. I don't think I could ever wear contacts because I can barely have things like eyedrops in my eyes...it's like, my eyes just wig out all by themselves if threatened, like a fight-or-flight reaction but they can't go anywhere.

Yeah, I like my glasses :)

whiteisle
I've been wearing my glasses more in the last few months. I was a die-hard contact person, but admitting I didn't take care of them the way I should lead me to wearing my specs more. I actually like the "style" change glasses gives me.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those who would love to have multiple pairs so I could pick n' choose according to my mood that day. But I don't see DH going for that idea anytime soon! lol :p

GeoJ
I am near-sighted and have astigmatism. They do make contacts for astigmatism, but I am allergic to contacts so I have to wear my glasses when I drive, and anywhere where I want to see details that are farther away (like watching my DD in gymnastics class, sightseeing, and attending classes, for example). I don't wear them otherwise because I don't like the way they feel on my face and I think I look better without them.

PoysinIvy
October 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I wear both contacts and glasses, but glasses much more often. I am 'legally blind' with nearsightedness, my astigmatism is nearly as bad as my nearsightedness - and I wear gas permeable contacts (semi rigid). I love them because if I get a scratch, it can be buffed out. One set lasts years if I wear them enough to keep my script from changing.

KayBee
October 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I wear glasses. I used to only need them for driving but my eyesight deteriorated pretty rapidly and by the time I was 25 I couldn't see anything at all. I'm nearsighted. I started wearing contacts when my lenses were getting too thick for my personal taste. I had a hard time accepting that I was basically helpless without glasses in a relatively short time period. I have a double eye infection due to not giving my eyes a break from contacts so I'm wearing my raggedly old glasses at the moment. I'm really due for a new pair, I think these ones went out of style in the 1970's ;)

shockinglength
October 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I wear reading glasses, and since I'm in school I have to wear them everyday or else I get very bad migranes. I don't think I could get contacts because they are only for reading.

GRU
October 26th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have astigmatism but I can't wear the toric lenses -- they hurt like the dickens! I just wear daily disposables. My glasses are just to get me from the bathroom to the bedroom every evening, and then from the bedroom to the bathroom every morning. :D

Madora
October 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, since the 3rd grade. They're the first thing that go on and the last thing that I take off at night. I also have a special prescription pair for computer viewing.

chelseamichelle
October 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I only wear my glasses when I first wake up and before I go to bed. Other than that I'll be wearing contacts. A lot of my friends don't even know I wear glasses because they've never seen me in them :P

The reason I don't wear glasses is because I just CAN'T stand them, I find them irritating. My vision feels restricted and I just don't like them sitting on my face. Not to mention that I really don't suit them.

It's too bad because I think they're really cute, they're just not for me

GRU
October 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I am allergic to contacts so I have to wear my glasses

Are you allergic to the contacts themselves, or the chemicals used to clean them?

I developed a nasty case of Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis as a result of developing an allergic reaction to the chemical disinfection solutions back in the early 90s and couldn't wear contacts for several years.

When the price of the daily disposables dropped, my optometrist recommended giving them a try. I use aerosol saline solution (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp12196/blairex/sterile_saline_solution_for_soft_contact_lenses.ht m?brand=8121)(no preservatives necessary b/c it's a 'one way' opening) to rinse them off when I take them out of their little package in the morning, and then I just throw them away at night. Including the cost of the saline solution, it comes out to less than 75-cents/day.... and no more big white nasty lesions on my eyelids!

For anyone who wants to wear contacts but isn't up on the whole disinfection/cleaning angle, I highly recommend daily disposables. The price is much more affordable than most people realize, especially since you don't have to buy a bunch of different cleaners and disinfection solutions.

AreWild
October 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I am slightly nearsighted and have a mild astigmatism. I wore contacts for two years, but they eventually caused more and more irritation so I switched to glasses. That was maybe ten years ago. I prefer the way I look in glasses, but they're a pain to keep clean and keep up with in general. My sight was never that bad, but it's actually improved a little over the last couple of years. I was wearing my glasses less and less anyway until I managed to break my them. That was almost a year ago and I just haven't bothered to replace them. I'm sure I will eventually though. I think about it every time I see a pair of super cute chunky retro frames.

EleanorRigby
October 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I wear glasses too, for astigmatism and hipermetropia, i love my glasses and how it looks like on me, but i look a kind of nerd, its okey anyways

JenniferNoel
October 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Is that even a question to ask me?
I'm glasses personified. Been wearing them every day since I was probably about eleven or twelve years old, maybe longer. I have the memory of a worm.
I don't just wear them, they're a part of my face. My style. My personality. My life; I am never seen without them.
I stash about 12 pairs of glasses including prescription sunnies, prescription glasses of all shapes and sizes (mostly round and large), regular sunglasses, and decorative frames.
Everyone knows and remembers me as "That girl with the glasses".
:cool:

estherbeth
October 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Proudly bespectacled here, as well! I've tried contacts and I just find them so uncomfortable and troublesome. I'd rather have my glasses. Plus, whenever want a spiffy new style/color of frames, I can switch out (though I go for slightly more off-norm ones). They're just one more thing I can enjoy the uniqueness of on top of being a necessity, and they've never cramped my style. I've never gotten hair pinched in them. I've seen that common complaint around, so I guess I'm lucky my glasses don't tend toward hair-eating! :laugh:

RadiantNeedle
October 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm longsighted in one eye and way longsighted in the other, so I wear glasses for reading and working with stuff that's up close. I'm an artist, so that means wearing them a fair bit if I remember to. Sometimes I get headaches or eyestrain if I dont, but it depends on the lighting.

gossamer
October 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So I'm nearsighted in one eye, farsighted in the other, and have astigmatism in both - one much heavier than the other. Without my glasses it's just impossible to see at this point. I can read things if I hold a book close, but I know I'm focusing only with my dominant, nearsighted eye (the left).

I've worn contacts and glasses both, but for the past year or so just alternate between two pairs of glasses. I have contacts but they're the 2 week kind, so I like to use them sparingly. Also, I think the prescription for my right eye has changed so much they're just not worth it anymore.

Hopefully getting a new set (year long use, not throw away) this coming December.

I like my glasses, though. After a few really awkward looking pairs from about age 10 - 16, I've finally found ones that fit my face shape correctly. Yay!

christine1989
October 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I began wearing colored contacts (no perscription) around 5th grade just to make my eyes blue. Eventually I got blurry vision and began getting colored contacts with perscription as well. I have some astigmatism as well but my contacts stay in just fine. I only wear glasses late at night for doing homework and watching TV so no one has ever seen them on me.

UltraBella
October 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I wear glasses and I like them :) I have several pairs but I have two favorite pairs I alternate between. My eyes are too dry to wear contacts comfortably and it also makes me not a candidate for Lasik.
My daughter has a very high astigmatism and she wears contacts and glasses. She actually has better vision correction with her contacts. The percentage of people who can not wear contacts because of astigmastism is very very low. My husband is an eye doctor and he fits people who have quite extreme astigmatism often.

michiru7422
October 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I wear glasses and have since I was in kindergarten. I've tried contacts before, but I prefer glasses. I find that glasses protect my eyes better from anything and are easier and more comfortable than contacts. These days, I also have astigmatism and nearsightedness, so contacts are harder to see out of.

Occasionally hair gets stuck in them but not very often. If it gets really caught, I just break the hairs :(, but usually just carefully removing the glasses from my face and closing the arm makes the hair easy to extract.

People tell me I look better with contacts, but then they also tell me to cut my hair...

VitisVinifera
October 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've worn glasses since high school, for near-sightedness and mild astigmatism. I feel naked without them. Touching my eyeballs really freaks me out, so no contacts for me!

redneckprincess
October 26th, 2010, 09:24 PM
i wear glasses, i feel they excuantuate my look, no matter how my hair is styled, or not

Carolyn
October 26th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Yes. I wear them all the time. I got them at the end of 3rd grade. I'm not that thrilled with having to wear them but I couldn't get by without them. No contacts or lasik surgery for me.

vanity_acefake
October 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I wear glasses. A lovely pair of origional 1950's black catseyes. I also wear contact lenses. I intend to get more pairs of glasses as i have quite a few 1950's pairs just waiting for lenses.

phistash
October 26th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Myopic nerd here. I got my first pair of glasses at age 6. My mom kept them for the longest time afterward. They were so tiny!

I wore glasses exclusively for a long time, but for the past several years I've been wearing daily wear contacts. I only wear my glasses when my eyes get tired of the contacts. I have two pairs of glasses, one pair of wire rims, and one pair of annoyingly trendy plastic frames. But hey, my insurance paid for them.

I don't like wearing glasses, but I don't necessarily think they look terrible, either. I think I just got sick of them, and they do get in the way.

GlennaGirl
October 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I wear my glasses all the time. I wore my glasses to my own wedding. :)

Sooze
October 27th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Am another specs wearer. I used to wear gas permeable rigid contacts for about 20 years but as I got older I had astigmatism and dry eye syndrome, so gave up on the lenses and reverted to glasses.

I tried toric lenses about four years ago, but they were incredibly uncomfortable. I preferred the conventional soft lenses which I tried next, but they used to curl up and lift away from the eye surface, or would ripple when I focused!

I investigated Lasik, but am another for whom the dry eye thing made me a poor candidate.

I don't mind wearing specs - I think I'd feel a little too exposed without them, but I wish I had more choice - my prescription for near sightedness is so high I'm limited to the types of frames I can buy, as they have to be a certain shape/thickness to accommodate even an ultra thin lens, and I really should be wearing varifocals. Can't afford to change them just yet though, so willl have to wait a bit.

Am also someone who puts them on the minute I'm awake and they're the last thing to come off too. :D

Alix
October 27th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I wear glasses.

I wore contacts, but then got a nasty eye infection and my doctor switched me to dailies.

Lucky for me I'm one of the few people allergic to dailies, so that put me off contacts for a while.

I think I'm going to gradually go back to contacts, unfortunately I just need a week to be able to ease my eyes into them (2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours ect. Till I get back up to 12.)

Jules diamond
October 27th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I do! I don't wear them unless I need to so I don't notice what they look like with my hair much.

Hiriel
October 27th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I have the choice of wearing glasses or being effectively blind, so yes, I wear glasses. I don't think much of it either way now, because I'm so used to always wearing glasses. I occasionally wear contacts, and keep trying to push my glasses higher up on my nose even when I'm not wearing them :p

I don't use contacts often, because they're more expensive than just wearing my $30 glasses. I do have astigmatism on one eye, but only a little, so I can ignore it and buy regular contacts, since I only use contacts for exercise anyway, not in class or somewhere where I need perfect vision.

Purdy Bear
October 27th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Yep I wear glasses too. Iv tried contact lenses but found them difficult to cope with as I have a pollen allergy and thus itchy eyes.

summergame
October 27th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I wear glasses to,and i have contacts to,when i am lazy or just not want to wear them i use my glasses.

Toadstool
October 27th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I have dreadful eyesight - astigmatism and short sight. With my left eye I can only see the big letter at the top of the eye chart.
After teasing in school, I refused to wear my glasses from the age of 12 until I was 30-something and just felt my way through life! Then I got a job in a primary school and needed to see the children. It was an emotionally painful transition for a few months but now I am absolutely fine about wearing glasses, doesn't bother me AT ALL.

BritishBraider
October 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Bespectacled over here! Been wearing glasses since I was 11 (now almost 20) and generally wear contact lenses only when I have to, if dancing (glasses fly off) or filming (masks) or odd photography (face paint etc)

Trouble is my current glasses leave me no peripheral vision and break easily which is a shame 'cos I adore them..... sigh.

They're bright orange :) I am not very subtle :)

freckles
October 27th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm short sighted, I've been wearing glasses since I was 11. I wore glasses exclusively 'till my late teens, then wore contacts for a few months, then switched back to glasses. I occasionally wear contacts now for a night out, probably less than once a week (daily disposables), but other than that, or if I'm in the shower or asleep, I'm practically always wearing glasses.

I want LASIK one day but at the moment my prescription isn't stable so I have to wait. I like to wear contacts on occasion to switch it up but mostly I am fine with glasses. I have two pairs right now and I switch between them and I quite like them.

violetmermaid
October 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I've been wearing glasses or contacts since I was 12. I don't have a problem with them, found a funky '50's style frame that I like. I do prefer the contacts simply because I think my eyes are one of my best features, and sometimes I feel that the glasses kinka cover them up. Can't wear the contacts too long though, because I have very dry eyes. I wear my glasses during the week, I only wear my contacts when were going out on the weekends.

morecowbell
October 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I wear glasses too :). It's funny, when my hair was longer (3-4 years ago) I hated my glasses. But once I cut it all off, they looked cute all of a sudden, and now it's longer again and I'm too dependent on them to care how they look. :)

Aveyronnaise
October 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I have glasses but honestly I can't stand to wear them. I don't mind how they look, but the sensation of something sitting on my face drives me bonkers.Also the lack of peripheral vision is irritating.

Pixna
October 27th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I wear glasses, and I have astigmatism and VERY dry eyes. While I splurged on very funky, fabulously cool and unique glasses, I would FAR prefer not to have to wear them. One problem with them is that they rip my "side hairs" when I take them off, no matter how careful I try to be (and I always try to be careful). But I enjoy being able to see, so unless I have surgery one day, the glasses are here to stay.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I used to wear them from 2004-2009, I've been wearing lenses for 1,5 years. I didn't really like how i looked in glasses. :)

Tap Dancer
October 27th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I've been wearing glasses since I was 15, so they don't bother me at all.

cleanbug
October 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I got glasses when I was 12. I got contacts when i was 15. I have had both options since then & now am 34. I do prefer contacts because its easier to apply make up, fix hair in updos (don't have the arms of the glasses interfering). The trade off is that for me, I find my eyes become increasingly dry & irritated as the day wears on. I wear glasses more now than I ever have before & don't mind them too much.
I like how my eyes feel in glasses & like how contacts don't fog up, get rain drops on, etc.
In answer to the o.p.'s question, yes I do feel more attractive w/o my glasses. I sort of feel like I have to look "extra good" if i am going to wear my glasses, in spite of others telling me i look great in glasses.

Braidmaid
October 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I' ve worn glasses since I was in first grade. I also wear contacts. I'm so used to them I hardly think about it, however, I also think my eyes are one of my best features, so I wear my contacts when I can.

sophiamarie
October 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I need glasses for reading, computer, anything up close. Distance vision is great. I have them on & off all day depending when I'm working or what I'm doing at home. If we go out to dinner and I am dressed up, I'll put them on to read the menu, but then take them back off. Since I'm pretty nerdy I think they look OK. Just can't stand the "tugging" sensation for looking out at a distance with them on. On a side note. I think my eyes are getting worse, and probably will eventually need glasses for mid-range too.

mhiap
October 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I wear glasses all the time as I'm short sighted. I would never ever use contact lenses or get laser eye surgery, I have a "thing" about eyeballs, yuck!

I've worn glasses since I was 7. They're just part of me now so they have no impact on what I do with my hair. Although the hinges do eat a strand of hair every now and then.

I'd rather not have to wear glasses, but I'm so used to them and I have no other choice really, unless I get over my eye thing which is unlikely!

lapushka
October 27th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I have astigmatism but I can't wear the toric lenses -- they hurt like the dickens!

I think they're more comfortable to wear in general, but they're especially hard to get out of my eyes compared to regular contacts, I don't know why! It so hurts to get them out, it's like they're stuck in there once you've put them in! But anyway, because of a number of other reasons (dry eyes, irritation, cost): no more contacts for me!

I'm at the stage now where not wearing glasses is no longer an option, so whether they cramp my style or not, I have no choice.

PJ-Sander
October 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I do wear glasses and have for many years now. I once tried contacts but discovered very quickly that I have an aversion to poking my finger in my eye.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

Belisarius
October 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I wear them, can't think of any other way to live.

CaliforniaAnne
October 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old. I love them, can't see a thing without them, and would feel weird without them. I've tried for a split second, the contacts thing since I do theater, but discovered that I simply can't get my eye open for long enough to stick the things in. I've never considered surgery. I think of the glasses as part of my identity.
As for hair getting stuck in the hinges, I have it happen about once a week, so I don't worry about it too much, although it's wicked annoying when it happens.
Hell yeah for glasses! :D

JamieLeigh
October 27th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I wear my specs proudly. :D I have a lot of allergies that affect my eyes - specifically my tear ducts - so contacts are out of the question for me. Would be way too much irritation, and I would probably rub them right out of my eyes. I think the fact that I like large, blocky, dark-framed glasses, plus I wear my hair up almost 100% of the time, lends to the "librarian" look, but it really doesn't bother me in the least. :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2327&pictureid=28614(from January 09 - I still have the same glasses lol)

kookyjelk
October 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I've worn glasses since I was 12ish. Though lately, I've been exclusively wearing contacts because I don't like the way my glasses look with my growing-out pixie. I'll probably go back to wearing glasses every now and then when my hair is longer and I feel more feminine in general.

AspenSong
October 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've worn glasses since I was about 10. I tried contacts for a while and I'm just not a contact person! I never really think of styling my hair around my glasses or vice versa...I'm fine with my hair however it looks with my glasses usually. :)

Alexannee10
October 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I occasonaly wear glasses, but I mostly wear contact lenses !

Gemma
October 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I love my glasses. :) Been wearing them since I was quite young, though, so there was an adjustment period. I hated them as a small child, especially since I went from only needing them for reading, to needing them for reading and watching TV, and then I needed them all the time (within a year). By age 12, I switched to contact lenses because I wanted to look like all my friends. I played around with coloured contacts, which was great fun!

By my late teens, I was wearing my glasses almost exclusively due to comfort issues. My contact lenses were painful during allergy season, and I found my eyes getting more and more dry in the evenings (I went to a school with LONG days so this became a problem). Once I found some frames I really liked, wearing glasses stopped being an issue.

I have two frames now, one is definitely my favourite. I think of my glasses when I think of my appearance because they're just sort of a part of me now.

paperwhite
October 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yes, I wear glasses. Going on 25 years now...ugh. I used to wear contacts (until I ran out), but I had major discomfort with them if I wasn't really careful. I had to make sure I had contact drops with me at all times because of the type of lenses I had. I have astigmatism too, and my lenses would get a little dried out and get stuck in the wrong position. Wonky lenses=very poor vision. I do miss wearing them, but it's glasses for me, for now.

trillcat
October 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I don't right now, but I need them, for reading. The eyes are getting older, and my arms aren't getting any longer to read from far away. I can hold hold it far enough away to be clear, but now it's too teeny to read. Unless I am under a very bright light, and squint, so if I have a miners light hat on my head, or perhaps a welding torch, and a bit longer arms I will be all good!
Yea, it's vanity, though I do look good in glasses, it's the age eye thing, I am not proud of this. :)

GRU
October 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I' ve worn glasses since I was in first grade. I also wear contacts. I'm so used to them I hardly think about it, however, I also think my eyes are one of my best features, so I wear my contacts when I can.

Have you ever accidentally put your glasses on before you've taken your contacts out at night? My eyes are bad enough to need -6.5 lenses, and WOWZERS when I look through my glasses with my contacts on, it's EXTREME!!!! :shocked:

Ravenwaves 88
October 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I've been wearing glasses since about 3rd grade also. Seems like a trend...lol. At any rate.....I'm so used to them now it feels weird without them. I wish I had enough money for a few pairs of different colors....how do you guys afford that? LOL. I don't think it hinders my look at all, but those darn hinges are problematic. I got a new pair that tried to eat my hair so much I got rid of them just for that reason. I am thinking about LASIK. My dilema is money and the fact that I won't be wearing glasses anymore. Seems a foreign concept....like chopping your hair off to put it a way most will understand.

Is it weird to wear glasses with no prescription after you have LASIK? Then just tell ppl you got contacts when they see you without? Am I crazy or does anyone else feel this way?

GRU
October 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Is it weird to wear glasses with no prescription after you have LASIK?

Drew Carey did this some after he got his LASIK, but that was because he was "known for" his glasses.

If I had the cash lying around, I'd get LASIK in a heartbeat!

MClass
October 27th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have astigmatism but I can't wear the toric lenses -- they hurt like the dickens! I just wear daily disposables. My glasses are just to get me from the bathroom to the bedroom every evening, and then from the bedroom to the bathroom every morning. :D

I have been wearing the toric for about a year now and they hurt my eyes too! I just got a trial of the dailies and I hope they arent too expensive when it comes time to order...

MClass
October 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I wear glasses.

I wore contacts, but then got a nasty eye infection and my doctor switched me to dailies.

Lucky for me I'm one of the few people allergic to dailies, so that put me off contacts for a while.

I think I'm going to gradually go back to contacts, unfortunately I just need a week to be able to ease my eyes into them (2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours ect. Till I get back up to 12.)

Did you have an eye ulcer??? That recently happened to me which prompted the doctor to switch me to dailies as well. How did you know you were allergic? I have been freaked out ever since I got the ulcer bc it was incredibly painful and I missed 3 days of work and life.

Avvoltoio
October 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I needed to wear glasses from elementary school, but from when i was 16-17 years old i started to wear it only for reading and at the computer. I don't need to wear it when i drive. But at the end of the days i feel my eyes weary :(, cause i need to be at the computer all the day (i am a software developer), and after i finish with work, i spend the most of my freetime at my notebook, surfing on the net, playing, or write on forums like in this moment.

Miasen
October 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I have glasses, got them last year. I quite like how they look, but found them to be in the way a lot (Whenever I'm on the computer I most often lay on my side with my palm against the side of the face, and that just does not go well with glasses) so I decided to try contacts. What a pain in the behind they were! Impossible to get in, and uncomfortable when in place. So yeah, back to my glasses for me. Luckily I'm only slightly nearsighted, so if they get bothersome I can go without. :)

Alix
October 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Did you have an eye ulcer??? That recently happened to me which prompted the doctor to switch me to dailies as well. How did you know you were allergic? I have been freaked out ever since I got the ulcer bc it was incredibly painful and I missed 3 days of work and life.
I'm not sure what I had exactly, it was itchy and red.

I knew I was allergic because those dailies sucked the moisture out of my eyes like it was going out of style.

Their supposed to actually provide MORE moisture.

Buddaphlyy
October 27th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I wear glasses everyday because I need to. How my hair looks is a very unimportant aspect of whether or not I put them on.

GRU
October 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I knew I was allergic because those dailies sucked the moisture out of my eyes like it was going out of style.

Their supposed to actually provide MORE moisture.

Did you try the plain contacts, without the moisturizing component?

kmoc123
October 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yes I wear glasses...bi focals....got to have them. Contacts tore my eye up

M Saint
October 28th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Some girls look amazing with glasses! It's definitely not a bad thing.

I should say also mention that IMHO glasses look amazing - *if* you have the right frame that suits you. I have a friend who always seems to get frames that make her look older than she is and they don't do much for her. So she doesn't look that great with glasses.

I would change my glasses every few years but I'm so nearsighted that my lenses cost a fortune.

Vibeke
October 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM
No, I don't... but I should... Glasses look so terrible on me.

slythwolf
October 28th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 3 or 4 years old to correct my lazy eye, with a brief period in high school when I wore contacts instead. I still take them off for formal occasions, like my wedding, and for reenactment purposes (I can see fine and control my eye without them now, but it gives me a headache if I do it for too long) but by the time I was in college I felt like I wasn't really "me" anymore so I went back to glasses. I currently have a pair of rectangularish frames in thick plastic fake tortoiseshell, basically the classic "nerd" glasses, and have had the same ones for nine years now. I love them. If I ever get new ones I will keep these for everyday and get an additional pair that are in a historical style.

katha
October 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I wear glasses most of the time. I see pretty good without them, but I'm working on a pc all day long - my eyes don't like that very much. My glasses correct the angle as far as I understood, and weird as it may sound, it helps with driving at night, too.

At first I was really insecure about wearing glasses, but by now I rather like them. Sometimes they snap some hairs though, that bugs me. -.-

starlights
October 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I love wearing my glasses, -infact i ordered 2 new pairs yesterday, lol

Finding the right glasses for your face shape is important; however how messy the hair is, the glasses would still look fab! glasses can be a real statement, i much rather prefer wearing glasses then contacts.

rapunzelna
October 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I wear glasses and really never thought whether or not they looked good with my hair. I tend to keep my bangs at eye length and they just come under the rim of my glasses. I'm fine with it all

Belisarius
October 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Some girls look amazing with glasses! It's definitely not a bad thing.
Yes, very true.

At first I was really insecure about wearing glasses, but by now I rather like them. Sometimes they snap some hairs though, that bugs me. -.-
Yeah, I have that too. Sometimes I can get the hairs out and sometimes not.

Miasen
October 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I'm thinking I should treat myself to a new pair, to have something to switch it up with. I'd maybe like someone a bit more neutral looking than the ones I've got now. But it's so hard finding fitting glasses within my pricerange. (Might be because I have a very limited pricerange, being a student and all. :p)

tinti
October 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have glasses, but I forget to wear them :D But when I'm wearing them I pin my bangs back (if they're short of course, like shorter than pull behind ears lenght) because if I don't they'll get caught in my glasses. But I really like them, they're really stylish, and I try to remember them.

isbmlamloi
October 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Huh. It seems odd to me to think that glasses "cramp your style." Glasses are awesome! I wear them, my boyfriend wears them, and most people I know wear them. I can afford contacts these days, but I still don't get them, because they're more work than glasses and I'm lazy. ;)

kabelaced
October 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Okay, guys! I just ordered a new pair of glasses from Zenni Optical online. ;) Normal wait seems to be a little longer than two weeks, and the price was $35, which is a ton better than my $170 pair from now. Here's hoping everything goes well - I assumed it was a standard lens (was not told it was anything out of the ordinary), I figured out what "plano" meant (0 correction in an eye), and I am pretty sure of my PD, although I might be off by a little.

Has anyone ordered glasses online before and found the PD greatly affected how the glasses worked? I'm pretty sure mine was 65 since I had someone else measure it, but we had to convert to mm since the measuring tape only was in centimeters.

So excited!! :cheer:

JulietCapulet
October 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Does anyone have trouble getting exactly the same vision in both lenses? Is one always slightly off?

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I wear glasses. It's not a question of whether or not they cramp my style, they're just plain old necessary. I can't see without them, and if I don't put them on I'll have a headache soon enough. I don't love them. They get dirty, they bother my nose, and they interfere with tucking my hair behind my ears, but there's really no other option. :shrug: I did try contacts for awhile, but there's something funny about my eyeballs and the lenses wouldn't stay put--so I'm back to glasses and expect it to stay that way.

twopoints
October 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I only wear them when I can't see something written on the board in class.

M Saint
October 30th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Does anyone have trouble getting exactly the same vision in both lenses? Is one always slightly off?
The same vision with corrective lenses? You should be able to. My prescription is different in each eye but I believe they are the same with glasses and contacts.

peronella
October 30th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I wear glasses! Mine have a nice big crack in the lens so I need new one. but I like them (I like seeing :) . I've been wearing them since 2nd grade so I feel like I look odd without them. I would like contacts for certain times (like halloween) when glasses are sometimes less than ideal. but otherwise, yay glasses!

purple_figtree
October 30th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I need bifocals, but they're expensive, so I just wear reading glasses - they cost about two dollars in the souq, so they're not very stylish, but they're in my price range, and it doesn't matter if I sit on them or drop them, as I constantly do, I can just buy another pair.

They tend to yank on the hair around my ears when I take them on\off, and I'm afraid it will cause breakage, and they always seem to be dirty, but what can you do, they're necessary. I'm not ashamed of them.

lockswitoutkeys
October 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I have contact lenses and I wear glasses on the weekends. I guess it depends on how comfy you are. I got glasses at a young age and I felt like they cramped my style just like you. Contacts have made a huge difference for me but if you have an astigmatism, I suggest getting a really nice frame for your glasses 'cos believe me, you CAN look good with glasses.

Nae
October 30th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I wear glasses too. I have my contacts but they are just not as comfortable as my glasses, believe me I have tried them all.

I am really loving this thread for the regional differences in how we describe our lack of vision. I have always said nearsighted and farsighted. I had never heard "short sight" or "long sight" but I am loving those terms. Very fun for the culture geek over here!

M Saint
October 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I started wearing extended wear contacts you can keep in 24 hours a day. Yes, you can sleep in them. My one friend swears by them and never takes them out. My optometrist warned me to take them out if they are ever uncomfortable or my eyes are red. Also he suggested taking them out at least one night a week.

They seem fine and it's good to be able to see at night. They are a but gunky and sticky in the morning but they're fine once I take a shower.

They are fairly comfortable but any slight wind seems to irritate them.

Still, cheaper than the surgery and i don't have to worry about long term effects due to eye surgery.

Plus I like wearing glasses once in a while.

rosek
October 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I wear glasses. Have since I was 8years old, except for about a year in late high school when I wore contacts. But they never worked for me.

So now I just wear the same pair of glasses every day. They are a part of me, just like my hair. I can't change that I need to wear them, just like I can't change my hair type.

If you don't wear your glasses becasue you don't like them, get a new pair that you will wear! Not wearing them can actually be very damaging on your eyes - it forces them to work harder to focus. Good luck!

JulietCapulet
October 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I started wearing extended wear contacts you can keep in 24 hours a day. Yes, you can sleep in them. My one friend swears by them and never takes them out. My optometrist warned me to take them out if they are ever uncomfortable or my eyes are red. Also he suggested taking them out at least one night a week.

They seem fine and it's good to be able to see at night. They are a but gunky and sticky in the morning but they're fine once I take a shower.

They are fairly comfortable but any slight wind seems to irritate them.

Still, cheaper than the surgery and i don't have to worry about long term effects due to eye surgery.

Plus I like wearing glasses once in a while.

This advice terrifies me.

M Saint
October 31st, 2010, 02:39 AM
Well don't be afraid. The contacts are meant to be worn while you sleep so there is no danger. I was given a trial pair to wear and had a follow up appointment. The doctor said my eyes looked fine and gave me to go ahead to keep using them. Your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, I know lots of people that have had their eyes done. Some have had problems (permanent dry eyes) but the majority seem quite happy.

Me? I'll stick with my contact lenses and glasses.

JulietCapulet
October 31st, 2010, 03:30 AM
Well don't be afraid. The contacts are meant to be worn while you sleep so there is no danger. I was given a trial pair to wear and had a follow up appointment. The doctor said my eyes looked fine and gave me to go ahead to keep using them. Your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, I know lots of people that have had their eyes done. Some have had problems (permanent dry eyes) but the majority seem quite happy.

Me? I'll stick with my contact lenses and glasses.

That might be your personal belief but my doctors have always warned me against this so I'll stick with that. :-) Thanks anyway!

Bonkers57
October 31st, 2010, 12:48 PM
That's the reason I don't wear contacts - my eyes itch and burn enough as it is. I miss wearing eye makeup.

Yep I wear glasses too. Iv tried contact lenses but found them difficult to cope with as I have a pollen allergy and thus itchy eyes.

isbmlamloi
November 1st, 2010, 03:40 PM
When I wore contacts, I *loved* the daily disposables. You wear them for one day, then at night take them out and throw them away. Boom, you're done. No soaking and liquids and routine at night.

It does create waste, though, and these days that might hold me back. Not only the contacts thrown out daily, but so much packaging!

GRU
November 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
When I wore contacts, I *loved* the daily disposables. You wear them for one day, then at night take them out and throw them away. Boom, you're done. No soaking and liquids and routine at night.

It does create waste, though, and these days that might hold me back. Not only the contacts thrown out daily, but so much packaging!

I figure that the packaging waste pretty much evens out when it comes to environmental impact, because I'm not buying (and throwing away) all those bottles of cleansers and disinfectants. Plus I'm not sending all those cleansers/disinfectants down the drain and eventually back into the water supply.

Although I have to confess, if it hadn't been for the medical necessity of discontinuing regular contacts, I probably wouldn't have ever tried them because they seem like a frivolous luxury.

MandyBeth
November 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
That might be your personal belief but my doctors have always warned me against this so I'll stick with that. :-) Thanks anyway!

With the new contacts, it is apparently safe. They allow more oxygen to the eyes with the new technology, so that's why they can be worn long term.

But I wear glasses and only glasses.

I've had surgery twice, and can't have further due to bilateral astigmatism. My eyes are HORRID, the surgery has gotten me fixed to 20/420 left and 20/800 right. Thus, why I didn't walk till I was 4 because I didn't have glasses and couldn't see.

I've got 5 pairs of glasses. I wear what I like for that day. Why not, makes it more fun :) My first choice often are my silver half frames. Second are a darker gunmetal no frame. Got a pair of heavier black plastic which I like some days. Got a pair of blue metal that I wear for computer work because my focal length is so bad. Got a pair of reversible purple/blue and black now also which are just plain fun :)

I have 3 pairs of sunglasses.

Contacts for me, with the astigmatism and my left eye tracking issues - gak. Plus Sjogren's makes super dry eyes. Which means I get ulcers. Which means no contacts for me. I did try them a few times, but no more for me.

MandyBeth
November 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Oh - dur. Usually Sjogren's rules out laser surgery. Mine was at the point that either I had surgery or I'd be to the point that they couldn't correct my vision at all.

Plus, the correction has so far - 4 years in - stopped the progression that was getting worse to the point that I'd have to get new glasses every 3-4 months.

I think I need to go visit UltraBella and her family :)

RoseAnn
November 1st, 2010, 04:59 PM
Okay, guys! I just ordered a new pair of glasses from Zenni Optical online. ;) Normal wait seems to be a little longer than two weeks, and the price was $35, which is a ton better than my $170 pair from now. Here's hoping everything goes well - I assumed it was a standard lens (was not told it was anything out of the ordinary), I figured out what "plano" meant (0 correction in an eye), and I am pretty sure of my PD, although I might be off by a little.

Has anyone ordered glasses online before and found the PD greatly affected how the glasses worked? I'm pretty sure mine was 65 since I had someone else measure it, but we had to convert to mm since the measuring tape only was in centimeters.

So excited!! :cheer:

Always wear glasses. Short time with contacts but got tired of the dry eyes. I love Zenni Optical also 39dollarglasses.com. My family has been using both companies four years. DH and I have bifocal transitions and never had a problem. Come out much cheaper than the anywhere in town. (Tallahassee) I have four pairs and where them exclusively. Wore contact in the 80's but my glasses "suit" me so I continue to wear them.

Peace and Blessings

RoseAnn

isbmlamloi
November 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
I figure that the packaging waste pretty much evens out when it comes to environmental impact, because I'm not buying (and throwing away) all those bottles of cleansers and disinfectants. Plus I'm not sending all those cleansers/disinfectants down the drain and eventually back into the water supply.

That is a REALLY good point, and I hadn't thought through to that point. Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking about contacts again. :)

eicamawa
November 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
I wear glasses, I wouldn't see a thing without them as my sight is -2.75 and -3.25. But I do use contacts some times, but I'm not quite used to it yet.

Islandgrrl
November 2nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've almost always worn glasses. Contacts for a bit, until allergies forced me to stop. And 11 years ago I had LASIK to correct my nearsightedness. Worked like a charm, but did nothing for the mild astigmatism in one eye.

Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, my problem has gone the other way. I can't see a goshdarnedthing close up. So I have glasses again. Not just reading glasses, either. TRIFOCALS. The top part (the distance vision part) corrects only for the astigmatism. Middle part lets me see the computer. Bottom part lets me read good stuff like books!

I wear them all day, every day.

My glasses have nothing to do with how my hair looks, though. Good hair day or not, I need the glasses. Fortunately, at this length, they're pretty much all good hair days.

M Saint
November 3rd, 2010, 01:02 AM
With the new contacts, it is apparently safe. They allow more oxygen to the eyes with the new technology, so that's why they can be worn long term.

They are completely safe. They are designed to be slept with. I hope I didn't give anyone the wrong impression. There is a bit of build up overnight but they are fine once you are up for a bit.

Has anyone else had eye surgery?

DorothyAtForty
November 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I have mild astigmatism and have not had any surgery for that. I used to wear my hair parted down the middle and didn't like my glasses getting caught in my hair, so I'd usually wear contacts. Now that I have bangs, I wear either or, but typically glasses. I'd rather see than squint.

Kira94
December 13th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I wear glasses, I've had them since I was 7. I want to try contacts someday but until I have job and can pay for contacts it's not going to happen. :)
I like how they look on me though, and I think my face looks plain and my eyes smaller without them. :)

Jeno86
December 13th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Have worn glasses for years. I have to or it's headaches for me. I think I look better without them because I feel it hides my best feature, my eyes. I'd love to get my eyes fixed but don't have the funds. I've never thought my glasses and the way my hair looks conflicted.

kanaka
December 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM
No, i dont wear glasses, even sunglasses too. dont know why i dont prefer them. but now a days thinking of buying sunglasses. should see when will i purchase them :)

Nuin
December 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Due to serious myopia and fairly serious astigmatism, I've worn glasses since I was about 5. I wore contacts for a while but had to stop when I started to show signs of developing occular hypoxia.

As I can't see worth a damn without them, I never think about their effect on my hair or style (or lack thereof). I trim my fringe to just above the top rim of the frames and leave it at that.

My current glasses are the best I ever had: purply-red half-frames and stupidly high index lenses to avoid wearing bottle bottoms on my face :D

Jing
December 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I'm one of the few that wear glasses mostly because I look better with them on. I don't actually need to wear them - I just have a slight refraction error (not sure if that's what it's called in English) - and I usually look over the rims anyway, except when I'm reading or using a computer.

Mina17
December 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I wear glasses and have astigmatism and pretty severe myopia. I used to wear contacts all the time but stopped for a few years. I tried to go back to contacts but wasn't able to wear them as my eyes are too dry now. Even drops for dry eyes and lubricating contacts didn't work.

I don't like the way I look in glasses, but I don't really have a choice.

oktobergoud
December 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I wear glasses and contacts. Most of the time contacts, on a few lazy days I wear glasses :)

duchesswannabe
December 13th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I switch off between contacts and glasses every few years since about 10 years ago when the stress in my life got to the point that I couldn't abide the extra work of contacts all the time. It has, however, been mostly contacts since about 1991 when I found that I shouldn't walk around outside without some type of visual aid at night.

Nowadays I am having quite a time with sensitivity in my eyelids and maybe dryness in the eyes(contacts, frankly, have never been terribly comfortable all the time for me) and have decided to only wear contacts when I am doing things like yard work or when it is summer. I will see how this goes as I feel like I look as ugly as hell with my glasses on.

DancingQueen
December 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I wear them at work because they make me look a bit older (I look about 15 without them). I work in a shoe shop where the costumers is typically 30+, and they are more likely to listen to someone who looks 22 than 15. :) But I try to make sure to have nice hair as weal, otherwise it will look horrible.

RedheadMistress
December 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
- I wear glasses all the time normally, now I broke them so waiting to get them fixed . But I feel way more comfortable with them, they're big and black so it feels like they accentuate my eyes and frames my face nicely ..

Jesabel
December 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I've worn glasses since I was 4 but started wearing contacts when I got my braces (14 with pimples, glasses and braces? no thanks!) I still wear my glasses sometimes but prefer myself without them (even though the frames are very nice) and I do feel more comfortable with them if my hair and make-up are nice :o

LeninCap
December 13th, 2011, 06:20 AM
No. That would be completely useless. Deaf people dont wear headphones to listen to music, why would I wear glasses to help my nonexistent vision?

CurlyMopTop
December 13th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I wear glasses. I wouldn't be able to work without them! They're needed anytime I'm reading or working on the computer which is all the time at work. At home I still need them, but not as much.

MotherGoddess
December 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I wear glasses. I wore contacts for a year or so, but they always really bothered my eyes by the end of the day so I gave up on them. I really love the glasses I have now, although I can't wait to get lasik and not have to bother with them anymore. Thats several years down the road though, since it's not only expensive, but they suggest that you be done having children because pregnancy can change your eyesight and you could need it re-done.

I don't really find that glasses cramp my style, they're very much a part of who I am now. I do hate how it makes little loops of hair come loose by my ears when I wear my hair up though.

SwordWomanRiona
December 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Glasses and contacts.
I've been wearing glasses for years. I started using contacts a year ago, and that's what I usually wear when I go to university and the like. But glasses are OK (although now I mostly wear them at home).

SwordWomanRiona
December 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I wear glasses. I wore contacts for a year or so, but they always really bothered my eyes by the end of the day so I gave up on them. I really love the glasses I have now, although I can't wait to get lasik and not have to bother with them anymore. Thats several years down the road though, since it's not only expensive, but they suggest that you be done having children because pregnancy can change your eyesight and you could need it re-done.

I don't really find that glasses cramp my style, they're very much a part of who I am now. I do hate how it makes little loops of hair come loose by my ears when I wear my hair up though.

Ah, yes, the little loops of hair! That also bothers me a bit when I'm wearing glasses :)

Kelikea
December 13th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I wear glasses. All the time, unless sleeping. i used to wear contacts, but now they hurt my eyes. I've tried different kinds and they all bother me. I've gotten so used to wearing my glasses over the years that I am quite comfortable with them. I just don't like that they can be easily knocked off my face at work (special needs) and if I want to go swimming I have to dig out an old pair of contacts. My vision is poor and I can't go without corrective lenses.

KahRistAhn
December 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I wear glasses every day. I used to have contacts but they always made my eyes sensitive. Sometimes I wish I still had them so I could wear sunglasses!

Kelikea
December 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
You can get over-the-glasses sunglasses or get transition lenses:)

oscarthehamster
December 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I wear glasses. I used to NEVER wear them but my vision started getting worse so I started wearing them like I'm supposed to.

Rilig
December 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I wear glasses for my astigmatism and have contacts I need to start wearing everyday. Have you tried hard contact lenses? They take some getting used to, but after that, they're fine. No need for weights like with soft ones.

Silverdragn7385
December 13th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I wear both contacts and glasses. If I get dressed up and wear my hair down, I wear my contacts...I agree that my glasses cramp my style, especially if I'm wearing something for a night on the town. Glasses and a clubby-type outfit = NO (on me, anyways). During the work week or days that I don't feel like dressing up or wearing my hair down, I wear my glasses.

jeanniet
December 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I wore contacts for about 35 years, but when I got to the bifocal age I gave them up because I just couldn't get either my distance or close vision corrected properly. Anyway, as it turns out my reading/close vision is better than ever, so I don't need glasses for reading. Now I just have distance glasses and take them off to read. I have transition lenses, and love them!

wandlimb
December 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I wear glasses and always have.

GlennaGirl
December 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Have I answered this thread at some point in the past? I wear glasses whenever I'm awake, unless I'm in the shower... :p I do find that with straight across bangs, it can look like I only have half a face since everything has something "on" it to halfway down my nose. But other than that, I can wear wispy bangs just fine and usually do (heart my bangs) and as for the rest, it's all good...buns, down, whatever...I don't usually worry about my glasses clashing with anything. :)

RedBlue
December 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have worn glasses since forever! I usually take them off when I'm doing my hair.

Ravenwind
December 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I wear glasses and contacts, but I only wear my glasses when I'm at home. It just seems easier to not have to deal with them when I'm out in public so I wear my contacts most of the time. Also I need a new prescription for my glasses so I can't really wear them out anyway xD

HintOfMint
December 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have glasses and now that I have thick-framed stylish hipster type glasses, I've found that I prefer having some sort of bangs with them. My hair can be in a braid or ponytail, but there has to be some sort of fringe. I also prefer my hair straighter when I wear my glasses. It's more of channeling a style than it is about being truly flattering though.

KahRistAhn
December 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
You can get over-the-glasses sunglasses or get transition lenses:)

Haha, yeah, I know....but, I want to be able to just go to Target or somewhere and get whatever pair(s) of cheap, cute sunglasses I want! Bleh!

Aliped
December 13th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm blind as a bat, and wear glasses every day - I also have bangs. I really like my glasses :)

Mountaingrrl
December 13th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm mildly nearsighted. I wear glasses for driving and other situations where I need to see at a distance. I've never worn contacts. I think I'm about due for some new frames to go with my long hair.

Pidge
December 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I wear contacts and glasses and also have astigmatism. I probably wear contacts more often because I just find it easier and more comfortable (my prescription is STRONG, so even "lightweight" lenses are pretty heavy).

I do feel like wearing my glasses necessitates certain hairstyles. Glasses on, hair goes up.

Most of the time I keep my bangs short, thick and blunt, so they are either above or just grazing the tops of my glasses, but occasionally (like right now) I let them grown out a little, and then they never settle satisfactorily over the frames, so I'm less likely to wear them at all.

moon2dove
December 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I wear glasses. I don't like wearing them, never have!

SoulOfTheSea
December 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I am nearsighted, so I wear my glasses when I am in class, or at work. I've had them for 4 years, it's time for a new pair!

Helix
December 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hi, I am wondering how many people wear glasses on this forum. I have noticed that unless my hair looks nice I can't wear my glasses because I feel they cramp my style. The only time I ever feel comfortable with glasses is after I have had a blow dry at the salon. How do you all feel about wearing glasses? I can't wear contacts well because of astigmatism and I'd rather not get lasik surgery.

There is a solution to this, you know? Get stylish glasses. My glasses have this funky geometric pattern on the sides and I get compliments on them all the time. It's two tone metallic colors which are neutral so they don't clash with my outfits. I figure if I'm going to have to wear them for the majority of my life, they might as well look good.

I have astigmatism as well and have some prescribed contact lenses that I wear with no trouble. Although, from the sound of things your eyesight is better than my own. I don't have the option of not wearing them.

nobeltonya
December 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I've worn glasses since 4th grade, and now I find that I look weird without them [I think anyway].. but, I also feel that the current frames fit my face well. IDK if I could find another pair that looks good on me. I also have an astigmatism, and haven't had much patience or luck with contacts, but I'd be willing to give them a try again.. I'm getting tired of glasses, and these frames are about ready to fall apart anyway [like 5 years old :P].

aisha.christine
December 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I've worn glasses since puberty. Most of the time I don't mind, because I really like to see, but sometimes they make me feel less than attractive. Because I have chronically dry eyes and really bad allergies, contacts are not an option.
The only reason I hate picking out glasses is that I have a wide face, and most cute/funky glasses are made for narrower faces. Usually the optician forces a pair on me that I just really don't like. :shrug:

eicamawa
December 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have glasses, and I also use contacts, dependig on my mood.

WaterMusic
December 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I have astigmatism, strabismus, near sightedness, and I just noticed the other day that I am developing far sightedness as well. Needless to say, my eyes suck. Not wearing glasses is not an option for me - it isn't about fashion, it is about being able to function as a human being.

I sound like I'm 85. I'm actually 22, and I've been wearing glasses since I was 3. My parents each have a bunch of eye problems, and I am on track to inherit most of them. I just need to get glaucoma and cataracts and I'm good to go!

roundforest
December 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm very short sighted (-9 one eye, -11 the other) and I do wear glasses but hardly ever outside my house. The thickness of the glass means they make my eyes look tiny, and it's not attractive.

I've had contact lenses for over 25 years now. At one time I was wearing them too much, which caused extra blood vessels to grow in the eyes. Fortunately when I cut down the wearing the problem went away - according to my optician my eyes are very healthy now.

My hair tends to get caught in the hinges and break, but I prefer to have a fringe anyway.

catamonica
December 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I have worn glases since I was little. They dont bother me.

heidi w.
December 13th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wear glasses because of a very bad astigmatism which is becoming worse every year. I'm well beyond the point of being blind without my glasses. I think in 2012 I need to get a checkup and new glasses. Not sure how I'll pull that off since I'm so broke, but somehow it'll work out, I'm sure.

With glasses, I opted to have no bangs anymore. Just too much weight around that part of my face. PLUS I didn't like how frequently I had to trim or thin my bangs. I haven't had bangs in at least two decades now.

heidi w.

AlabasterAlice
December 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm actually on day two of wearing glasses, and so far I like them. :) It takes a bit to get used to, but I enjoy the frames I got a lot (so do DH and DBF, so yay!) so as far as style goes, I'm happy. I don't like how they make me feel like my vision is boxed in though, and I also don't like it when bright lights look double sometimes, or the reflections off the back of my glasses, but since they really do help me with depth perception and my eyes are misaligned, I do want to wear them.

KwaveT
December 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 12 years old. I have worn them full time since 9th grade. I feel naked without them. I just got a brand new pair last Monday with transitions lens since I have not had a new pair in over ten years. I sometimes get them so dirty that I can see better without them than with them. I just need to clean them more often. I am near-sighted. I have never used contacts and don't want to after what they did to my sister's eyes. I have little trouble with them catching my hair. I find myself tucking my hair inside the legs of the glasses to help make my hair stay in place since I am in that awkward phase of growth on the way to long hair.

Shuan
December 13th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes I do, about 11 years now. I tried wearing contacts for a while a few years back, but something about my cylinders make them more expensive than normal ones and glasses works just as fine, so I switched back. I've settled with a thicker rim styled glasses.
I don't mind wearing glasses, I think I'll look weird without them since I'm so used to it now.

BlondieHepburn
December 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I got my first pair of glasses at age 7. I was excited then, but not so much now...
I have fairly extreme myopia, and have been using contacts for about 13 years. One day I hope for Lasik, as I am dead tired of not being able to see when I wake up. :mad:

millyaulait
December 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I do! I find they only really suit my face when my hair is up, but I wear it like that most of the time anyway.. :)

When I wear my hair down I just decide not to see that day ;P

Georgies
December 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
There is a solution to this, you know? Get stylish glasses.

Totally - there are some very cute glasses out there. I love getting new frames! Much easier to change than hair color (though terribly expensive).

dili
December 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
i wear glasses since i am 6, before to see near, and now to see far. i also have a `` lazy eye`` that glasses cant fix

kettle
December 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Have any of you guys heard of John Hegley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W59bv9tYEM)? British poet well known for his love of glasses.

I wear glasses. I stopped, for years, because I didn't like the way I looked in them. Then, given the affirmation from a beautiful and accepting partner, realised that I actually look great in them. I'm long sighted, but I wear them almost all the time because I get headaches if I don't.

FrozenBritannia
December 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I have glasses, but I only wear them when I am driving. I have astigmatism too. I don't like my glasses much though, I get my hair caught in the hinges, and they dirty so fast and steam up when I am cooking or going from cold outside to warm inside and it drives me nuts. I have only had them for about six months though, so maybe I will get used to them.

KahRistAhn
December 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
These are my glasses that I wear currently
:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9270&pictureid=120923

They were supposed to be my "fun/funky/I-wear-these-sometimes" glasses; I had thick-framed dark black/purple ones too so I could switch it up, but somehow I sat on them one day and snapped 'em in half. Soooo....now these are my "all the time" glasses.

I got them to replace my old dark brown ones that were whipped off of my face on a roller coaster...lol.

ashleyrox
December 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
yes, I have since I was 7.

CurlyCap
December 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I've worn glasses since I was about seven. They are so much a part of my face that I think I look weird without them. That, and I can't even see my face without them, no matter how close I get to the mirror.

Contacts are reserved for Glasses Endangering Activities, like going on boats or walking in the rain. :D

Finnenna
December 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I wear glasses! I love mine - they're so fun and funky - black frames that are slightly more oval than circular. <3 I get called Harry Potter a lot.

One eye is near-sighted, the other is far-sighted, and I have astigmatism in both and to top it all off - I'm red/green colour-blind. WOO HOO!

Lici1209
December 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I love my glasses :] I forget to wear them a lot though! I think I prefer them when I wear my hair down though...

thelittlestdoc
December 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I have astigmatism, but really prefer the way I look in my contacts. I've worn glasses since age 5 and switched over to contact at 16 (I'm now 22). If I do wear my glasses out and about, I tend to wear a good deal more eye makeup as well as more styled hair.

Metallia
December 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I wear both glasses and contacts. I find that I prefer my glasses when my hair is back, especially if it's second or third day hair and it's kind of flat, because the glasses give my face a bit more depth. I overall prefer my contacts for convenience, so I can wear sunglasses and my ski goggles, etc.