PDA

View Full Version : Trim?

bluesnowflake
October 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I do trim my hair about twice a year because I can't do the no-trim thing without getting ugly, frizzy ends. Currently, the split/frizz ends go about an inch and a half up. Should I try to do it incrementally or just trim off 1 1/2 inches at once? BTW, I'm slightly past waist and would like about 3 inches on top of current length. On a relate note, does anyone have recommendations for what to look for in a stylist? The one I've been reluctantly using doesn't really give me what I want and keeps pressuring me to cut more than I'd like. However, as far as I know there aren't any salons in my area that specialize in long hair.

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'd trim it off all at once because splits can travel upward. Better 1-1/2 inch now than 4 inches later. I've had to have 4 inches cut all at once at least twice since I started my growing journey.

Anje
October 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
If I were you, I'd trim it myself. Here are some instructions to get you started. (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) You'll want a pair of designated hair scissors that don't get used for anything else. These can be had for anything from about $5 for Goody ones at Walmart, to mid-priced ones at Sally Beauty Supply, to hundreds of dollars.

surfguy87
October 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Do NOT go to a stylist unless they know you, and I really mean KNOW YOU - a 5 minute consultation before the cut won't suffice.

Trust yourself to trim, be sensible and take small amounts off at a time. Bit by bit.

At the end of the day YOU and you alone are the person that looks and manages your hair every day, not some stylist.

Madora
October 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
If you have a family member who you would trust, have them trim it. If not, then only patronize a salon who does NOT try and talk you into doing what THEY want you to do!

As for the trim itself, since the split ends can split further, I find it best to trim my ends every 4 months (say, about a quarter inch). I know it's hard to lose even a little bit of length, but your hair looks more appealing (at least to me) when the ends are uniform.

UltraBella
October 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
There may not be salons in your area that specialize in long hair, but I assure you there are stylists that do. I would call all the salons and ask them who has the most experience with long hair. Several will probably have long hair themselves. Some will have clients who's hair is super long and the person on the phone will immediately point you in their direction. Long hair friendly stylists really do exist and when you find one it is wonderful :)
I personally have always gone for a decent sized trim if I start getting split ends. The tiny trims just do not work for me. My last trim was two inches and it felt great and I have already gained that length back. It was definitely worth it !

hairobsessed1
October 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM
all this advise is really good. I would agree that you should trim. Nothing worse than long hair that looks like it needs about a foot taken off the length. My hair grows very unevenly- some stands grow about and inch a month whilst others only reach about 1/4 of an inch so i have to trim about every 5 months ish or i would have splits all over the place.

jera
October 27th, 2010, 01:49 AM
My hair grows unevenly too so I feel your pain. Get a quality pair of scissors and take and inch off. If you need to trim an additional 1/2 inch, then do it. I'm a chicken heart about big chops too. Just can't do it. So I take little bits off at a time and it works out better. Much less traumatic. :o

FrannyG
October 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I'm all for getting rid of the whole 1 1/2 inches right now. I second both Anje's idea of doing a self-trim, but I also agree with UltraBella that it is possible to find a stylist who actually works with long hair and knows exactly what 1 1/2 inches is.

I'm thinking that you might be one of those who like me, needs a small (1/2 inch) trim every 3 months or so while growing. Your hair will still grow, and it might mean losing less length per year in the long run, as you'll keep on top of those ends before they have a chance to get frayed.

Good luck! :blossom:

Deborah
October 27th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Oh yes, trim the damaged ends off. The rest of your hair will thank you, and your hair will be much prettier.

hairobsessed1
October 29th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Oh yes, trim the damaged ends off. The rest of your hair will thank you, and your hair will be much prettier.

couldn't agree more