PDA

View Full Version : Hair Chopped Off!

surfguy87
October 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
As requested by some members of LHC, here is a before and after video of my horrific chop which was experienced five weeks ago.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvsKvJNw6A

ORIGINAL POST (Story)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57703

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Wow. You had a really unconventional - and lovely - style before the chop, and it looks like after, you wound up with a "mainstream guy" kind of shaggy 'do. What the !@#$ was the stylist thinking?

pilateschick7
October 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Wow...I am so sorry! The back is so short. :(

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
You weren't kidding. This is indeed a pretty strange haircut. At least the too-short portion is underneath where it doesn't show. I'd let it grow until the shortest layer is long enough for you, then even your ends out, but don't go back to the same stylist.

Anje
October 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Oh dear... Somehow it looks like the stylist decided to give you a stacked bob. (ETA: Maybe I'm wrong... My terminology on these styles is rather weak.) Never saw that on a guy before, which is rather awful since it isn't what you wanted.

You wanted ideas on what to do now, right?
On a postive note, the longer front makes it reasonably feasible to ponytail it, even now (or soon if you can't already). That should give you a lot of flexibility on deciding what to do when. Could also help hide the style, if you don't want people to see it.

I'd say that once it's grown out enough, get the front cut shorter so that it's at least all one length. More or less a normal one-length bob. I'd say to wait til the back is about shoulder length if tolerable.

Hopefully one of the LHCers who is also a stylist will weigh in soon, and will be able to arm you with some terminology to tell whoever you find to fix your haircut. Heck, if you're lucky, one of them might be located near enough to you that they could fix it personally.

virgo75
October 26th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Second Intransigentia's WT%&^$ comment!!!!

What I could see of your hair before the cut was adorable on you.

I don't get that hair cut at all and completely understand your frustrations.
I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

Sending you speedy hair growing vibes. :flower:

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Also, doesn't the hair at the back of the neck tend to grow faster than the rest? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

LouLaLa
October 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I see why they have done this, its so if you blow dry or use product it will look slick and undone at the front/edgy/thin out the hair. However im pretty sure you wont be blow drying it into a "pob".

Ive seen loads of people who have had this and it grows out fairly quick so I wouldnt worry too much (said the person who didnt have a cut they didnt ask for). Maybe trim some of the front and upper portions off so you have a more even base to work from? Or just grow it out.

If you have natural curl you could also encourage it with some product and I think this cut could look pretty cool (while it grown out you may as well try work with what youve got).

Good luck growing it out, Ive had layers and a fringe and i hate it too as it ate up alot of thickness/lenght so slowly im cutting it all out.

LHC has also of peeople who are in the layers dilemma so feel free to rant.

surfguy87
October 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I feel terrible.

DecafJane
October 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I don't like what the stylist did to your hair, but the good news is that you can tie it up fairly quickly, if you are happy to do that.

Good luck! You have wonderful hair, and while it hurts to lose it, I hope it grows out quickly.

leslissocool
October 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I feel terrible.

big hug :( I know what it feels like to have someone murder your hair like that... made me hate hairdressers... someone cut my waist length hair to my ear... I was in high school... I got made fun of :(.

Don't worry too much though, it really doesn't look that bad...it kinda looks like a longer version of my stepson's Justin Biever hair cut... you can go for a style that is a bit scene (Japanese-scene looking, spiked up that way I bet it would look really awesome) to hold you off until it grows... and never let a person cut your hair (if you are growing it long) if their own hair is not at least 6 inches longer... they tend to not be "scissor friendly" :o

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I feel terrible.

Here's an OMG; I can't believe how fast it's growing :magic:

TinaDenali
October 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM
You weren't kidding. This is indeed a pretty strange haircut. At least the too-short portion is underneath where it doesn't show. I'd let it grow until the shortest layer is long enough for you, then even your ends out, but don't go back to the same stylist.

I agree with this. If I were you I wouldn't cut the rest to match the under-hair, I'd let everything grow out until the under-hair is at a longer length. Good luck!

vanity_acefake
October 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
OMG! what on earth was the hairdresser thinking?
Your hair does still look long on top though. And in fantastic condition. Just let the underneath grow out. Then next time find pictures of hair that you like, explain what happened to your new hairdresser and keep a close eye on what they are doing.
Sending you hugs.
Awful hair cut disasters really suck but at least our hair grows back.
:)

surfguy87
October 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know if I can do it all again, it took me 3 years to grow-out. It was do-able because I was in Uni and literally wore a hat everyday. I graduated in June and hoped to further my career in a client facing business role, everything was going great until this happened.

It's affected the way I see myself, the way I feel and ultimatley cost me my confidence. I use to have a sense of humour about everything especially my hair, which made it fun to have, but not anymore.

I regret little in my life, but this is one thing I do regret. Hard to believe a professional is capable of this. For all those with long hair: trust in yourself and do NOT under any circumstances submit your hair to a salon stylist. It's just not worth it.

I appreciate the supportive comments, I guess there is nothing I can do but hope to forget.

Carriegirl
October 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I can totally understand the loss of self-confidence. My hair is a HUGE part of my confidence in my looks, and i'd be lost without it. I'm really sorry you are feeling that way.

You've gotten a lot of encouragement and support, and your hair will grow. I don't think you should give up at all! Let it grow to where you want it. You can still look professional. And if it makes you feel better - you are really cute, a bad haircut can't change that. ;) And your hair does look very healthy. :)

Qwackie
October 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Oh dude... That's not right, what the heck was that man/woman thinking?
A reverse mullet, maybe?

vanity_acefake
October 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I once let a local hairdresser cut my hair. Unbeknown to me I was (am still am) dating an exboyfriend of hers. One extremely butchered hair do later where she cut short layers unevenly into my bsl one length hair with a razor, and an hour and a half of criticism from her (snide remarks about my hair, style and of all things my eyebrows!?!).
Another hairdresser who has become a friend and only person I let cut my hair fixed my hair as best as she could and told me exactly who the hairdresser was!
6 years on I am still with the same boyfriend, the evil hairdresser went bankrupt and had to shut down.
Karma? Perhaps.
Now I can look back and smile. It took time but in time you too will look back at now and smile too.

surfguy87
October 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I once let a local hairdresser cut my hair. Unbeknown to me I was (am still am) dating an exboyfriend of hers. One extremely butchered hair do later where she cut short layers unevenly into my bsl one length hair with a razor, and an hour and a half of criticism from her (snide remarks about my hair, style and of all things my eyebrows!?!).
Another hairdresser who has become a friend and only person I let cut my hair fixed my hair as best as she could and told me exactly who the hairdresser was!
6 years on I am still with the same boyfriend, the evil hairdresser went bankrupt and had to shut down.
Karma? Perhaps.
Now I can look back and smile. It took time but in time you too will look back at now and smile too.

I appreciate that.

Sorry to hear of your experience, obviously I can relate. I have to admit, before this chop I was a different man - mentally. I was in a stride for something different and my hair was a part of that. I just hope I stand as a good example for the whole of the LHC community (although I'm sure you've heard/experienced it all before).

In the prophetic words of a wiser man - "Time may change me, but I can't trace time"

kwaniesiam
October 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
First of all, calm down. The good news is that particular style will eventually grow in to blunt length long hair. It is very strange that a stylist would cut an inverted bob on to a male client. That is seriously WTF to me. Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Pittsburgh maybe I can help fix it for you. Otherwise I'd go to a BARBER SHOP. I cannot stress this enough. Go to a barber shop that specializes in men's hair care and request an all over scissor cut to leave as much length in tact while getting rid of the weird shape.

mrs_coffee
October 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well, the good news is you're a handsome guy so you can pull off the short hair just fine. I have no idea what that stylist was going for, and I'm sorry you're so upset about it. I don't blame you. Here's hoping it grows back quickly.

jaine
October 26th, 2010, 05:46 PM
For what it's worth, I thought the before and after both looked great. I have seen undercutting on men before.

Dragon
October 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I am so sorry that happend to you :grouphug:

Demetrue
October 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Believe me, I feel your pain and understand what you are feeling. It looks like you can almost tie the longer part back into a ponytail. Maybe you can wear it tied back for the winter and by the Spring it will be closer to its original length. Also, wear bandanas and hats to help you deal with the feeling of loss.

UltraBella
October 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Yes, it is indeed a stacked - or inverted - bob. I have never ever seen one on a man before. It is just...... Bizarre. I can see why you would be so upset. !!
I personally would not walk around with that hairstyle. I know you want long hair, but I would get a cut that looks more normal and then continue growing it out from there. The extra length in the front is going to have to be cut at some point to even things up, so I wouldn't wait. It just looks super weird. You are a nice looking guy, it's a shame this happened.
I do not know what the stylist was thinking, but you can't judge every stylist by one person's mistake. People are individuals, they are not created equally, stylists included. Many of us have stylists we trust and enjoy, so it is just bad advice to tell everyone to never go to one. I would obviously never go to THAT stylist, but there are many others I would easily trust my hair to.
Good luck !

<3OnHerSleeve
October 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
that was one evil hairdresser!!!