PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to leave a "non" leave in conditioner in your hair?

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Hello All :poot:!

I have recently been leaving my regular conditioner in my hair as a leave-in. Does anyone know whether this is harmful to the hair?

Right now, I am using Desert Essence Jojoba Conditioner. I really like that it keeps my curls soft and frizz free.

But... I am of the opinion that there is no difference between a leave-in conditioner and a regular conditioner... After looking at the ingredient lists of the two aforementioned types, I don't see why a regular conditioner cannot be used as a leave-in. Please correct me if I am wrong :).

XcaliburGirl
October 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think lots of people do this. If the ingredients are similar, then you are probably fine as long as you don't overdo it. Even if you do overdo it, you'll probably just end up with greasy hair; I doubt it would do any damage.

mira-chan
October 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
There are two possible risks, buildup and issues if you have a sensitivity to something in the conditioner.

I leave in the rinse out conditioners, most often V05. I've had no issues and my hair is happy about it.

Iylivarae
October 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
If your hair is happy with it, it's ok. You won't damage your hair if you try it out once, and then you see how it likes it...

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Thank you, XcaliburGirl. The only thing that tends to make my very thick curls greasy is too much oil :).

Mira Chan, these are the ingredients:

Purified Water, Cetyl Alcohol (Vegetable Source), Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aleurties Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Water (and) Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Grindelia Humilis Leaf, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Leaf Extract, Lecithin, Vitamin A and E, Methylparaben, and Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil.

From what I know they seem okay except I am not sure what the emulsifying wax and Methyparaben is for. Do you know?

Iylivarae
October 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Methylparaben is a conservative agent, and "emulsifying" usually means that it's used to mix water and oils.

I don't think that there's anything in there that would damage your hair if you leave it in.

virgo75
October 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
No, it's not bad and I do it regularly as well.

Here's a link to a lady who grew her curly hair down to tailbone or so(depending on whether it's curly or stretched) doing just that:

http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome/

I have curly hair(not as curly as her's) and I found her site very helpful. I don't do the same routine she does because I don't have the patience. lol But I do use regular conditioner as a leave-in and my hair is happier for it.

Hope that helps. :flower:

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Iylivarae, thank you for your input!! Very helpful!!

virgo75, that sounds very encouraging! Thank you for the link... going there now... despite all the work I have to do ;)

GRU
October 26th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I've done it every single day for a year... and I'd say my hair looks just fine! ;)

EleanorRigby
October 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I try on this weekend to leave a non leave in conditioner in my hair, cause the ends looks really dry, and i hate how it loks like, maybe it would looks diferent on you, but i hate how it looks like on me:(

girlcat36
October 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I always use regular conditioner as a leave-in, as long as it's cone-free.
My hair does not like leave-in type conditioners.

shellblue1
October 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Apparently there are a couple of ingredients that pop up in rinse-out conditioners that may sensitize the scalp:

Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone

Those are meant to be rinsed off.

If you use a regular conditioner as a leave-in, you might want to keep it away from the scalp if it has those ingredients.

The conditioner that you listed seems fine though.

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I try on this weekend to leave a non leave in conditioner in my hair, cause the ends looks really dry, and i hate how it loks like, maybe it would looks diferent on you, but i hate how it looks like on me:(

EleanorRigby, sorry to hear that. I have experimented with a few and some definitely work better than others. Some left my hair dull and others shiny. So maybe you should try again with a different brand.

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Apparently there are a couple of ingredients that pop up in rinse-out conditioners that may sensitize the scalp:

Methylisothiazolinone

If you use a regular conditioner as a leave-in, you might want to keep it away from the scalp if it has those ingredients.

Thank you for the valuable info! I will be sure to look out for those ingredients... Since I don't think I have stopped my experimentation for the perfect leave in :D

yzkaloha
October 26th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I always use regular conditioner as a leave-in, as long as it's cone-free.
My hair does not like leave-in type conditioners.

girlcat36, your hair looks great!!! Congratulations!!! Which conditioner do you use?

BranwenWolf
October 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I do it for my ends all the time. You have to hit the right amount where it's not gooey. I just put maybe a quarter size bit in before I wrap my hair in a towel post-shower.

GRU
October 27th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Methylisothiazolinone

Just thought I'd mention that those are both preservatives (some people think they are 'cones because of the name). Also, I have a tendency towards sensitive skin, but I've had no problem with either of these ingredients.

Nae
October 27th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I leave in V05 and Suave conditioners all the time. Just a quarter sized dollop does my hair a world of good! Happy conditioning!