PDA

View Full Version : My friend thinks LHC did this to me

juliaxena
October 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
My friend thinks LHC made me:

-stop dying my hair...BUT I'm not sure I'm stopping. I don't like my natural color sofar. I'm only experimenting with it to save time with dye touch ups and deep treatments: I might redye next week for all I know.

-stretch trims...BUT in fact I'm just getting more impatient with my hair getting nowhere...and my ends still look good and the second that changes I'll be probably back on the chair

-stretch washes...nope, that would just be my laziness there

-maybe wish for waist lenght hair instead of BSL....OK, maybe it did.But I will probably not go for it-too much work

-buy countless hair toys....you don't say :cool:.

So you see...it's not all LHC.But some is. I love how this place is diverse and has space for shades.

And you? Did LHC affect you hair choices or was it you?

Oh hair, please just grow already!

Yozhik
October 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks to LHC I definitely

1) began to stretch washes (I went from every day to 2x a week!)

2) obsess over hair

3) increase my goal length

4) learn a plethora of new hairdos

5) spend a good chunk of money on brushes, natural hair products, hairtoys, and BPAL :)

6) and stop trimming (going on a year now!)

dragonmyst
October 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
LHC reminded me and re-awakened my desire to have classic length hair (or beyond)

Amraann
October 26th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I think that everyone makes their own choices.
I do not see how a forum can make anybody do anything.

All LHC does is provide alternate information on hair care that is not taught in main stream beauty schools or talked of in beauty magazines.
Being that almost everyone here is accepting of the notion that everyone is an individual I do not see how LHC makes anyone do anything..
Except maybe consider options they had not thought of before?

I hope your friend was speaking in jest.

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure LHC "made" me get all hair-obsessed and start slathering myself with coconut oil and then using only conditioner to wash. And buy hairtoys. And want to grow really long.

I'd like to say that LHC simply provided me with well-documented information that allowed me to make a rational and informed choice about what to do with my hair, but the truth is, I saw the pretty pictures and WANTED PRETTY HAIR SO BAD!!! and then justified the decisions afterwards. :shrug:

GrowingGlory
October 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
LHC has helped me to:
1) Value and treasure my hair
2) Become more conscious of my hair related habits and cultivate healthier habits
3) Consider varying my hair style
4) Consider purchasing Ketylos and a Ficcare
5) Eat for the good health of my hair
Thanks, LHC!

Nightshade
October 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'd like to say that LHC simply provided me with well-documented information that allowed me to make a rational and informed choice about what to do with my hair, but the truth is, I saw the pretty pictures and WANTED PRETTY HAIR SO BAD!!! and then justified the decisions afterwards. :shrug:

Ain't that the truth! :lol:

I think LHC's methods also appealed to my naturalist side, ditching the dyes for henna, using limited chemicals in shampoo and conditioner, etc.

There's lots of rational and informed choices I've made, but yes, motivation came in the form of other pretty heads of hair!

Darkhorse1
October 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM
LHC made me:
Meet cool new people all over the world, have interesting discussions, learn about different places, and all because we shared the same interest in having and enjoying sharing tips on keeping healthy long hair. :D

I learned about oiling my hair, about different products and hair toys and lets face it, cool things in general! :)

LouLaLa
October 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I think that everyone makes their own choices.
I do not see how a forum can make anybody do anything.

All LHC does is provide alternate information on hair care that is not taught in main stream beauty schools or talked of in beauty magazines.
Being that almost everyone here is accepting of the notion that everyone is an individual I do not see how LHC makes anyone do anything..
Except maybe consider options they had not thought of before?

I hope your friend was speaking in jest.

ITA

I think if you sign up to be a member/find LHC youre probably already quite into your hair already :p

LisaMonster
October 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
LHC made me appreciate my hair for what it is. :)

Anje
October 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I found LHC while searching for something completely different (specifically, I was looking for alternate methods of folding menstrual cups :D). So I may be a little odd...

LHC made me realize I didn't need to cut my hair short after it grew to a certain length. I could just keep letting it grow longer. It also prompted me to start wanting my hair longer than "normal", which was APL to BSL.

It taught me some new wash methods and got me to start reading ingredients lists on my hair products (unsurprising for my personality anyway).

It got me to really be happy and satisfied with my hair. I no longer want to trade hair (at least permanently) with anyone else.

And of course, LHC has prompted me to buy all sorts of things. Ficcares, hairsticks, an epilator, IUD.... :D

Carolyn
October 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think I can say being on LHC has enabled me to do the things with my hair that I had only imagined before. Yes I had the choice to do or not to do. LHC only showed me the way.

DuckyDot
October 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
LHC has inspired me (As well a NaturallyCurly.com) but I could have looked at the site and thought 'What a bunch of vaguely creepy oddballs' and switched off. BUT It has made me buy hairsticks... I Blame you people for that!

RecklessCharlie
October 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
LHC has certainly changed my idea of what good hair care actually consists of.
Thanks to this site I no longer use harsh shampoos and plastic brushes on my hair. And interestingly, LHC has made me more of a minimalist when it comes to product because I have learned you don't need a million different things to have fabulous looking and feeling hair!
Thank you LHC! :)

pepperminttea
October 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
LHC made me:
- Realise I actually kind of like my natural hairtype. I'm still learning how to deal with it, but I wouldn't change it.
- Oiling and/or leave-ins... definitely LHC's work. :p
- Combing, not brushing.
- Not necessarily buying more hairtoys, as much as finding so many good makers - I very much doubt I would have found 60th Street or Ketylo on my own.
- Treating my hair gently and wearing it up the majority of the time.
- Learning new styles; I only learnt to French braid in January. :o
- A longer goal length. Originally I thought tailbone would be perfect, now it's classic, but I am eyeing mid-thigh and knee and thinking, y'know, if my terminal length will allow it, we'll see... ;)

I did start stretching washes and looking beyond conventional shampoos/conditioner before I found LHC though, but pre-LHC I didn't really find a routine I, a) liked, b) could afford, c) that worked.

FrannyG
October 26th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I knew I wanted long hair. I knew I didn't want split ends by shoulder length anymore. LHC taught me how to do all of that, while still colouring my hair with box dye.

I have enjoyed making informed choices about what I do or don't do with my hair anymore, and I've loved learning new hairstyles.

Above all, LHC helped me to learn to appreciate my hair and hair type just the way it is.

Unofficial_Rose
October 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I only blow-dry these days when my hair simply has to look good, but pre-LHC I blow-dried it after every wash.

I use cones only about 50% of the time (used to use them all the time).

I wear my hair up more often, and I oil quite a bit.

Of course, LHC didn't "make" me do this but it's been a huge influence. ;)

prosperina
October 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I was never a big fan of conventional hair care, because I'm lazy and low maintainence, hair salons smell funny, and I already saw what two much boxed bleach plus general mistreatment could do to my hair. All of tha,t combined with my life long love of long hair meant I was hooked the first time I saw the site!

kitten1986
October 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
LHC made me...
1. Stop straightening every day
2. Stop blowdrying every second day
3. Stop washing with harsh shampoo every second day
4. Gave me the strength not to cut when I got bored with my SL hair
5. Showed me wonderful things like SMT and Feyes Trim Method
6. Introduced me again to my pantry (this time for hair) :D
7. Taught me to be gentle with my hair
8. Made me covet hair toys that are hard to find in Australia
9. Made me order and drink pet de-wormer to make my hair grow (diatomaceous earth)
10. Made me scared of the Hairdresser... lol hahaha

edit
11. Helped me to shop colouring my hair with permanent black dye all over once every 3 weeks (I believe that this is where alot of my damage comes from) now I am slowing heading back to my natural colour and will only ever put a semi in if I really have to

mrs_coffee
October 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I've been a once a week hair washer since I was in my teens. My hair is coarse and thick and turns into a big flyaway mess if I wash it more frequently than that.

I don't blow dry because I'm lazy, and I've been an avid user of coconut oil on my skin and hair for about 7 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find so many coconut oil lovers here.

I am learning a lot, but I don't feel compelled to do anything in particular, except take better care of my hair.

Amraann
October 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
ITA

I think if you sign up to be a member/find LHC youre probably already quite into your hair already :p

LOL! Exactly!
I guess I just do not like the word "made"
No one makes you do anything unless you choose to go along.
I like the advice I am given at LHC so I go along.(sometimes)
I had long hair when I joined LHC and my friends were tired of hearing of it and my hair problems.
So I sought out a place that would and I found LHC.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
LHC helped convince me:
1) began to stretch washes as I used to wash my hair daily, now 2-3 times a week
2) not to want to perm my hair once I've reached my goal. it contributed to destroying my hair in the first place.
3) I've made a few goals instead of just waist length. Before seeing the success stories I didn't have much hope of growing my hair any further. Now I'm thinking once I've hit waist I may be able to extend the 'dream'
4) Encouraged me to stop trimming. already was slowing down, but I'm S&Ding less as I was doing that all the time instead.
5) Grow my natural colour out
6) Use more natural products
7) Start making my own hair treatments...
and I'm sure quite a few other things that I can't think off the top of my head right now :P

My friends definitely think I'm crazy, although they call it my natural 'weirdness' so they think of LHC as an extension of my already random, obsessive self. My friends can be very patronizing in a loving way, although it irritates me when people are patronizing period. None of my friends have my hair type and their hair grows so fast so they don't understand my struggles I've had with growing my hair. Especially my friends who met me when my hair was APL. Those who knew me when my hair was shaved are more sympathetic to my hair woes :P

keight425
October 26th, 2010, 09:09 PM
LHC has helped me to:
1) Value and treasure my hair
2) Become more conscious of my hair related habits and cultivate healthier habits
Thanks, LHC!

Yep, this!

eezepeeze
October 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
ITA

Haha. :D Yes, why else would someone google "long hair" in the search box, anyway?

Thanks to LHC, I now:

Put coconut oil in my hair
stretch washes
know how to do umpteen braids and updos...ALMOST enough to complete a 60 day challenge ;)
know how to self trim my hair
have a longer goal than I might have originally intended,but only because I REALLY want the Celtic knot bun to finally work right.
have hairsticksLHC has not made me stop:

using cones
dyeing with drugstore chemical boxed dye
sleeping on a cotton pillowcase
using hairspray
using SLS shampoo and coney conditioner
wearing my hair down whenever I want to
wanting stick straight hair like the women in Practical Magic (movie) :rolleyes:LHC has definitely encouraged me to be myself with my hair and other aspects of life, too. What a great community this is! :cheese:

Eire
October 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
LHC made me:

1) Stop using heat as part of my daily routine
2) Stretch trims
3) Learn about and use Lush henna
4) Discover and use coconut oil
5) CO wash
6) Learn many new hair styles (buns, hair sticks/forks, braid waves, bun waves, etc)
7) Finally, FINALLY grow out my hair after wondering for years why it never seemed to get past APL. One year on LHC and it shot nearly to waist. I only wish I'd come here sooner!

Edit: I should add the other perks! LHC renewed my interest in cross-stitching and taught me about epilators and diva cups, both of which I love.

Jules diamond
October 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I definitely started doing things differently since joining LHC.

Stopped cutting it shorter

wanted hip instead of waist length hair

Stopped heat styling.

Neneka
October 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I was actually going to cut my hair before I found LHC. I didn't just do it without thinking because my boyfriend likes it long. I tried to search some pictures of women with long hair to motivate me. At first I found a blog of a long haired woman. Her updos are amazing and her hair is amazing! She mentioned LHC and I came here. And now I will not cut my hair. I have found my motivation. I have also learned to do some nice updos so my hair is not just hanging there. I want it to grow long so I started taking care of it instead of mutilating it with all sorts of chemicals.

Quezie
October 27th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Helps me freak out less when I shed more hair than I think is normal. :(

jera
October 27th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I yearned for long hair before LHC, so that was my wish. I experimented with herbal rinses before LHC so that was just me too. I've learned to treat my hair more tenderly since I joined LHC and that's important for a long hair wannabe to do. :)

Aria
October 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM
LHC made me:

1) Far more educated about what I'm doing to my hair in general. I found it by googling about castor oil.
2) After ogling all the pretty hair, consider taking my minimum of waist-length to a minimum of classic. I never really thought I could before.
3) Consider henna--and I don't even know how! I think it was seeing all the pretty reds people were getting, even if I can't achieve it, and then reading about all the great conditioning benefits between pretty-colors posts.
4) Embark on a search for more hair-friendly combs, and made me conscious about my hair-elastic. I've never heard that metal-free ones were bad for your hair.
5) Not shampoo my hair in a 24 hour span by choice, and try CO instead.
6) Consider the potential benefits of a decadent pillowcase and wearing my hair in updos on a regular basis. Learn a few nice and easy updos. Change still pending, will be more likely if I get sticks shorter than 9" because the excessive length gets in the way.
7) Learn about Flexi-8s, which I'm still really considering, and about hair slides-type toys in general. I've only seen one prior to LHC, and I thought it was so unusual.
8) Resparked my obsession with All Things Shiny: Hairtoy Edition. I've been obsessing hardcore about "real ones" for days and will probably buy at least one or the materials for one before the month is out. Enable enable enable.
9) At least every few hours, mention hair or how funny/sweet/awesome you guys are.

FoxRain
October 27th, 2010, 02:13 AM
LHC made me:

- Stop using a lot of shampoo (use more conditioner though)

- See shoulder to bsl as "short" hair

- See classic as ideal (before I thought waist was ideal)

- Look at peoples hair in movies more

- Appreciate up-do's

- Use food in my hair:cheese:
And most important
- LOVE MY HAIR

Purdy Bear
October 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM
LHC made me:

1. Realise that my hair was naturally curly and learn to love it when it grows back.
2. Given me so much information on hair regrowth I just dont know where to start with it.
3. Eat better with foods that help hair growth.
4. To remember what I liked about my hair.
5. Work out my hair issues and rectify them.
6. Started a Hair journal, Iv just now started my third.
7. Felt positive and hopeful with my hair loss, unlike some Alopecia forums which are down right depressing.
8. Make me laugh my head off on a regular basis.
9. Helped me practice hair do's on my hairdressers styling head, so I can do it on myself when my hair grows.
10. Got lots and lots of hair toys, and amazed at those made my members.
11. Put my creativity into practice and made more hair toys.
12. Gained knowledge about brushes and combs.
13. Gained knowledge about cones and other nasties.
14. Learned about the hair itself and its function.

and lots and lots more.