PDA

View Full Version : Split ends-How much time does it take your hair to get 'em?

mali
October 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
How much time does it take your hair to develop split ends?I know mine take about...hm..let me count.Well,if I've cut my hair in April and this is October(2010)...6 months!Is that good?Or am I a weirdo?Will you be a weirdo and tell me about your split ends?

P.S= I'm not a total weirdo,after all.I checked and apparently there were like 13 split ends,counting all of my hair! Imagine that! (okay,I'm bragging.Gonna listen to you now:o)

naereid
October 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Well, you're only at SL. Just you wait! :p

I don't think my hair is ever split-free. Even if I trim the very bottom, there are still a lot spread out throughout the length.

jojo
October 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I didn't get split ends until i was past apl. I get splits ends mainly on the very ends and there trimmed off as soon as I spot them. Although I have fine hair which is waist length, I probably find just 8-10 split ends when I look.

All hair which is long gets split ends its part and parcel but by protecting those ends now whilst you are still fairly short will help in the long run.

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Immediately. I've snipped off a split end and a new one appeared as soon as the old one fell away - which tells me, of course, that the split extended higher than I thought. I can find plenty of split ends the day I come home from a trim. Always. And so it shall ever be. Who cares?

GrowingGlory
October 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I've been split free for two years even though I made the mistake of clarifying my hair every day from March through September. I tried a sample of sea mist once and it started breaking off in my hand.
I bought a "mild" organic shampoo and conditioner for oily hair, not realizing that my hair is not as oily as it was when I was when I was twenty. So I had two inches cut off and now I'm overdrying the cuticle while looking for a gentle, effective organic shampoo and conditioner so that I can baby my hair through the rest of Fall and Winter.

Locksmith
October 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I had few to no splits when I was between BSL and waist. I have lots more now that I'm BCL, presumably because the hairs are older...

pepperminttea
October 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I don't think my hair is ever split-free. Even if I trim the very bottom, there are still a lot spread out throughout the length.

Same here. Even just after a trim there's those rogue splits hiding in the length. I S&D and try not to worry. :) Though generally I can go longer between trims now than I used to; wearing it up has helped a lot on that front for me.

Madora
October 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Since split ends are part and parcel of long hair, I don't give them much thought. My length receives slight trims every 4 months. I also avoid using any brush that would be harsh on my hair. I'm a devout boar bristle devotee and cringe at the thought of brushing my hair with anything else.

radiofreejenn
October 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
It's taken my hair about 4 months to develop split ends. I really need to trim them, but I've gotten back into the "I'm afraid for anyone to touch my hair phase".

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I don't think I really get split ends. Sometimes I get fairy knots though, and I cut those off when I find them, the same as one would do with splits. (^(oo)^)

LouLaLa
October 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I think this was discussed in another thread too about peoppl who just dont get them.

I get about 15 a year, max. I saw a friend S&D once and thought it was the oddest thing ever as my hair just dosent split. Obvioulsy I still get damage on the ends if im not being nice to it, but I think some are just more prone to splits than others.

KittyLost
October 27th, 2010, 08:22 AM
If I bleach and heat style my hair they show up immediately! However if I leave it alone it takes a long time before they start to show up.

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 10:14 PM
You know this is a good question, however i have not paid attention all that well, since lately ive been seeing less and less, but i do listen to my hair a lot and examine it, and i noticed my splits tend to show up on a pattern. And they always show up on the longest hairs i have. They are never long, usually less than an eighth of an inch, and they usually begin to appear more in the summer months every year. I'm apart of the no trimming thread right now, however they always just end up slowly breaking off very subtly but not so much to wear i lose any length. Because for the last year ive maintained the rather "U" shaped hemline for a while now. But i find that the more moisture i have in my hair, the less splits i see.

Daydreamer.
January 6th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Hmmm...I never really thought about it. If I had to guess, I'd say a few months.

TR
January 6th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I thought I must be looking for the wrong thing because I could never find split ends either, even when my hair was obviously damaged (permed and colored and feeling like a haystack instead of its normal satiny texture). I even looked up pictures of split ends on the Internet because I was sure I must have some and just couldn't recognize them. For years anytime I went to the salon the stylist would show me my thinner ends, claim it was all "dead" and cut off inches of hair. I could understand that when it was damaged but I got the same treatment even when my hair felt nice and soft all the way to the ends. Now I realize that was just natural taper and I'm apparently not at all prone to split ends.

trolleypup
January 6th, 2016, 10:05 AM
A quick check shows that they are pretty rare in the first 5 years of growth (of each hair), and become progressively more common working out to the 8ish year old ends.

samanthaa
January 6th, 2016, 02:53 PM
How much time does it take your hair to develop split ends?

About two days, I swear...

meteor
January 6th, 2016, 04:43 PM
^ If it takes only about 2 days, I'd really check the scissors. :flower: Sometimes dull scissors can cause more split ends than they remove, because the cut isn't "clean" and can cause a bit of that rough/frayed edge that can result in hair fiber "unraveling", splitting over time...

For me, personally, I find that time it itself really isn't a factor. The only factor is damaging practices, especially recurrent ones.
For example, when I routinely ripped a brush through wet hair or caused other damage, I got splits right away, but now that I'm gentle with my hair and protect it from the elements and avoid damage, I don't see any split ends at all, even though I haven't trimmed in 2 or 3 years.