PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking your goal length

Purdy Bear
October 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
We all have a goal length we would love to reach, but has anyone every reach something less then that and realised to go further wouldnt be right for them?

My goal is tail bone, I put on a TB length wig and it just seem soooooooooo long and I thought could I really cope with that length, so maybe I need to make my goal less.

Then the question arose what would I do, grow it to goal length anyhow and then rethink it, or stay with the happier length!

This for me is a total scenario as I dont have hair at the moment. It has made me rethink the length of wig I get.

linnepinne
October 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I understad what you are saying, but I don't really think that you need to worry about that at this piont. :)
Of course a TBL wig will feel overwhelming! Going from 0" to 30+" in a second it a huge change! But when you hair grows to TBL naturally, you will learn to handle and work WITH your hair through all of it's stages og length. But if you find that a totally different length than what you had in mind from the start is perfect for you; congratulations! You have reached your dream lenght of hair! (You just didn't knew it from the start) :cheese:

young&reckless
October 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My goal was hip and when I got there I loved it but wasn't sure if it was really for me. I also really wanted to thicken up my ends so I cut a few inched off. Best idea ever! Now I miss the lenth and know when I get back to it again I wont second guess.

Go for your goal, you can always cut back after.

ddiana1979
October 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I agree with linnepinne. Your hair grows so slowly you have time to deal with the changes in length as they occur. Your hairstyles start to change slightly, you pick up new hairstyles, you start brushing your hair in front of your shoulders, etc. I've never gone from extremely short to extremely long, but I can tell you that the drastic change from waist length to a bob is extremely unnerving. Especially that first time you step in the shower, and reach back to condition your hair, and it's gone.

BrightEyes7
October 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My original goal was TB. Then I got to waist, really liked it. Then I got to hip and didn't like it so much. Cut back to waist. Grew back to hip. Cut back to waist. Now I'm trying once again for TB... to see if I may like it a little longer than hip, but I think I may end up cutting back to waist. It just seems everytime I get to hip it is just too much hair to take care of!

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm nowhere close yet. My official goal is waist, but more and more I'm thinking I want to go for tailbone. Or classic. The longer I stay here, the longer my goal seems to get. ...sigh... Of course I could change my mind again when I get there.

XcaliburGirl
October 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Funny you should bring this up. I was just reconsidering my goal of terminal recently.

Now that the initial enthusiastic novelty of being here on LHC has worn off a little, I'm going back to my original pre-LHC goal, which is tailbone. I've had classic length before, and it always started to bug me once I could sit on it.

I still have plenty of time to change my mind again before I get that far, anyway.

Juneii
October 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I thought that waist length might be too ambitious when I started growing, but I got used to having long hair and how to keep it out of the way that tailbone length isn't long enough for me :)

Jessica Trapp
October 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
My goal was/is classic, but I would love to have fingertip length hair.

little_cherry
October 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'm not even sure long hair will suit me, to be honest... :/

Islandgrrl
October 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM
My goal is to see where terminal is. But that involves a lot of little intermediate goals.

I was at a solid tailbone length a little bit ago, and just trimmed back a little. I'm closer to tailbone than hip....and maybe you could call it tailbone.

It's long. It's getting challenging to deal with. I've been wearing my hair up for so long that when I take it down to wash or detangle or whatever, I'm kind of shocked by the length. Even braided, it gets caught on stuff and under stuff (like my husband when we're sleeping).

I'm currently maintaining here and plan to do so until the end of the year at least. Maybe once the last bit of damage is gone (uber-tangly ends) I'll feel better about it. And if not, I might just stay here.

bubblyredhead
October 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
My original goal was BSL now that I am slightly past it I want waist naturally wavy so pulled straight it will have to be roughly 3 inchs longer than waist.

Rivanariko
October 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I can see myself rethinking my goals in the future, but I definitely haven't found a length that I want to stay at yet. My goal is knee, but I'll be re-evaluating at around classic to see if I think I can really handle the upkeep on hair that long. I keep it up or braided 90% of the time, the question main is do I want to have to worry about keeping it up ALL of the time once it's long enough to sit on?

I've got a few more years to worry about that though I think!

Madora
October 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Knee length hair always fascinated me but you really have to be seriously dedicated to reach that length.

When I had 47 inch hair that seemed to be a more realistic length in terms of washing and styling.

I'm hoping to return to that length in a few years and salute the long haired ladies that have knee length - and longer tresses.

restourceful
October 26th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I had BSL when I joined LHC with a goal of waist. When I reached waist I rethought my goal and made it hip. Now that I'm at hip I've rethought my goal again and made it TBL. At this rate my goal is going to be floor length before the year is out!:cheese:

bluesnowflake
October 26th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My goal has changed once- it actually got longer. When I had short hair I only wanted to grow to BSL, but then I decided another 4 inches wouldn't be hard and would be more versatile.

virgo75
October 26th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm nowhere close yet. My official goal is waist, but more and more I'm thinking I want to go for tailbone. Or classic. The longer I stay here, the longer my goal seems to get. ...sigh... Of course I could change my mind again when I get there.

The bolded is true for me as well. :lol:

Initially I was hoping for hip or maybe tailbone length.

After seeing speedbump's 6 year anniversary thread and the knee length and beyond thread, I'm thinking of going for at least classic. Maybe knee - if my hair will grow that long....

But it's gonna take for.ever. :rolleyes:

Schipperchow
October 26th, 2010, 03:54 PM
So far my goal length is still TB. I must admit that I did become quite frustrated with it because took me so long to do a semi-straightened style...:mad: But I doubt that I would go shorter than WL though. This length is just so easy to put up & I rarely straighten my hair:)

Princess Kitti
October 26th, 2010, 04:02 PM
My goal was initially hip - I loved the idea of my hair swishing over my hips :) But I've recently reached BSL, and I'm starting to think this might be enough. I'm very short, and I feel like if I grow to hip, my hair might wear me instead of me wearing my hair.

vividdreamer
October 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
When I first began growing, I thougt that waist length hair was SO long! I figured I'd get there and either be totally satisfied...or completely ready to chop it off.

Now, about 2 years later, I have healthy, shiny, waist length hair. (It was longer, but I recently cut off about 3-4 inches of damage.) And it doesn't seem long at *all*! I want to be able to do fancy updoes and buns (my hair is so thick that I need a lot more length to do styles than people with i/ii hair).

I'm currently aiming for hip/tailbone, and may even go for classic once I've reached hip length. Or I may decide to chop it back off to waist or above. That's one of the great things about growing your hair long...you have plenty of time to decide what works for and looks best on you, and how to manage it. You can't really make a decision about whether you *like* something or not if you haven't ever had it, you know?

archionblu
October 26th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Since joining, my goal length has grown, actually. I'm now going to try for knee, rather than classic. Every inch I gain makes me feel sexier! :)

DiablitaNoir
October 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
My ultimate goal for a while has been classic but I'm starting to re-think it. I'm thinking of going to tailbone rather than classic but I guess I'll see when I get there. My hair is starting to touch waist length as it is and I love it even though it gets in my way quite a bit. I don't know how practical or impractical classic length hair would be for me, especially with very thick, heavy hair like mine. But like others have said, you can always trim it back if you get to your goal length and you feel that it's too long.

JenniferNoel
October 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I originally didn't want to go past the long side of hip (which is what I had for a long time, and loved it), but I'm starting to get the urge to maybe push a little further down the road this time, like, oh, say, long tailbone or even the top of classic. I just may like it better. It's like an exotic buffet, you never really know until you try.

KittyLost
October 27th, 2010, 02:53 AM
My permanent goal is Waist, because I feel like that is the right length for me and my lifestyle and what I'll be able to handle and care for the best.

However I intend to grow longer than waist and reach Hip and Tailbone and possibly Classic before cutting back to wasit, just to see what it is like and if I can grow it that long.

Loreley
October 27th, 2010, 03:13 AM
My goal is "almost knee length". I'm around fingertip length and it already feels too much sometimes. I decided to grow it to my goal and then if it will be too hard to take care of it I'll cut it back to classic.

Tiina
October 27th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I don't concern myself with the goal much. I'm just sure I want at least waist-length. Afterall I have years to decide while it grows.

FrannyG
October 27th, 2010, 04:03 AM
My ultimate goal since I joined has always been tail bone. Whether or not I can get my hair to still look healthy at that length is still up in the air. I'm at the bottom of BSL and my hair has been about 4 inches longer than this with nice healthy ends, but I'll need another 10 inches before I reach tail bone.

If I find that my hair trails off into nothing before I can reach my ultimate goal, I'll be very happy with hip length or at the very least, a couple of inches below waist.

As it is, I'm already going to have to maintain at waist for a bit to thicken up my ends.

After that, I'll just keep growing until the ends just don't look good anymore. I'm not as fixated on a particular length these days. I just want it to grow as long as it will grow and still look healthy.

I'm still open to tail bone though, that's for sure. :)

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I've always had long hair, so "goal" was never that relevant. However, I used to have classic length hair in high school, and I later decided that, while the hair itself looked very cool, it didn't really suit me. I cut it to TB and left it for a year before cutting again to just above hip, which was a bit too short and made me kind of sad. I've now settled happily just past hip for the past 4 years or so.

The key, I think, is to do things in baby steps. Get comfortable with the last baby step before taking the next. Drastic changes are always a little traumatic, in my experience (^(oo)^)v

jel
October 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
My ultimate goal, that I set when I joined LHC, was tailbone. However, once I reached hip, I started feeling that my hair was getting a bit too long. I began thinking about cutting back to waist and maintaining there, but I was obstinate enough to keep growing to goal.

Then I reached tailbone, maintained there several months, and now I'm sort of leaving it to grow again. I'll see if it's any closer to classic after the winter, and if I like it that long. But I'm not thinking about cutting back to waist any more.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Heh, i know! I once had tailbone-length extensions and it really felt awkward. It felt like i was someone else. But personally, i don't think that really reflects how we will fell when our hair gets "there". When i was chin-length, APL sounded like knee to me. When i wore APL extensions i felt so different. Now i have APL hair and i feel as if it's still chin-length :D Hair grows soo slowly that you learn to cope with and learn to live with it as time passes.

PJ-Sander
October 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
When I first started growing in 2005, my goal was terminal or floor length, whichever came first. But just when I hit waist length in 2008 is when I first noticed my thinning problem (in front and at my crown). So of course I chopped it all off. *sigh* After about a year of being unhappy with short hair I figured my hair on top was going to be thin no matter what; it's pretty much disguised by the way I part my hair, etc. So if its going to be thin anyway, why not have it longer? My revised goal is now BSL... or longer, as long as it looks decent.

JamieLeigh
October 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I was interested in hitting classic length when I first joined, as I was at tailbone, and THIS CLOSE (Imagine my fingers about two inches apart). Then I thought I'd try to go for knee...but life happens, and I shed out a great deal. Now I'm not really goal-oriented, I just want to maintain until I get a modicum of thickness back in the lower foot or so of my hair.

It does grow pretty fast though, yay for genetics I guess, so even though I've been trimming 1/8" a week since about the end of January, I've still managed to gain over 5" in the past 9 months. Not really what I wanted...but I'll take it. LOL.

So...I guess my goal is not a length, per se, but moreso to try to take good care of it and let it thicken out, even though it still does what it wants to. :p