PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Sleeping Caps Without Becoming Too Hot?

kabelaced
October 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hey, everyone!

I haven't seen a thread like this around yet, so I thought I'd ask. For those who wear sleeping caps, wraps, or du-rags to bed, do you all get very hot at night (and even wake up because of becoming too hot)?

For most of my life, I've slept without my head being covered, and I slept just fine. I bought a satin sleeping du-rag a few months ago and ever since I've used it, I've woken up every morning feeling way too hot, even in the fall months. I think it's impacting my skin (I've also seen an increase in breakouts, for some reason), but I like wearing the cap. What would you all suggest? :confused:

Purdy Bear
October 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
For me, I use my hands and feet, if they are out the bed and cool, then I am too. I dont wear anything on my head when its too hot and rely on satin pillowcases.

CrisDee
October 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Ditto the hands and feet. I've been wrapping my hair with a stretch satin scarf to hold it in place for the night since the beginning of August. It was plenty hot for about a month and a half, and the only way I could stay cool was to poke my feet outside the covers with a fan blowing on them. Ugh, what we go through for our hair! :)

Lianna
October 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Get something made of silk, it isn't hot. I'm in the same boat as you, as I live in a tropical country!

pilateschick7
October 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Another vote for a natural silk sleep cap. I have a sleep cap from Sally's Beauty Supply made from a synthetic satin that gives me the same problem at times. However, it is so cheap and usually bearable that I use it while traveling since I won't mourn its loss if an accident happens.

I have a silk sleep cap from Maverick sleep caps and never feel too hot while sleeping. It is more expensive but worth every penny.:)

http://www.maverickwear.com/

kabelaced
October 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Another vote for a natural silk sleep cap. I have a sleep cap from Sally's Beauty Supply made from a synthetic satin that gives me the same problem at times. However, it is so cheap and usually bearable that I use it while traveling since I won't mourn its loss if an accident happens.

I have a silk sleep cap from Maverick sleep caps and never feel too hot while sleeping. It is more expensive but worth every penny.:)

http://www.maverickwear.com/

I'm probably using the exact same sleeping cap from Sally's. :D It comes off sometimes, though, and I'm due to purchase a better wrap soon, I figure.

Will give Maverick a look-see (that, and the Tangle Teezer, which I've been debating on for a little while). Indeed, the things we go through for our hair! Thank you for the advice, everyone! :)

Anje
October 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm typically cold at night, rarely hot. But I think a doo-rag would probably feel warmer than the loose satin sleep bonnets I tend to wear.

I actually own a couple, all with drawstrings rather than elastic. One is such a thin satin weave, you can put it over your eyes and see well enough to not step on cats. It isn't hot in the summer.

Feng-Shui
October 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I prefers also natural silk opposite satin.:)

Silk is refreshing more for me than satin.

little_cherry
October 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
If you wear a silk sleep cap, you won't get hot. Silk breathes, polyester doesn't.

Edit....silk and polyester are a type of fabric; 'satin' is a type of weave...silk and polyester can both be satin.

jeanniet
October 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Fortunately it's very cool here at night all year round, so the only time it's warm at night is if there's a heat wave. I would be sunk if I had to stick my feet out from under the covers since I have a paranoia about that--monsters under the bed, you know. :D I use the cheapo polyester caps, but they definitely get hot when we have a warm night. I would look into a silk cap, or even using a silk scarf. Covering your hair really does make a huge difference!

GeoJ
October 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I use a homemade silk satin sleep cap. I live in Florida and it doesn't make me feel too hot.

It was easy to make, I didn't even bother to get my sewing machine out and I did it by hand (cut out a big circle of silk satin, rolled the edges to form a tube and stitched them in place, then ran a length of elastic through the tube. I put it on, tied the elastic, and I was done. I leave the elastic out so I can tighten it as the elastic stretches over time).

StephanieB
October 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
If you wear a silk sleep cap, you won't get hot. Silk breathes, polyester doesn't.

Edit....silk and polyester are a type of fabric; 'satin' is a type of weave...silk and polyester can both be satin.
Yup.

Silk breathes as well as anything else, better than most other fabrics.

Get real silk - preferably a lighter-weight silk than silk satins... the kind of silk so thin that you can almost read a newspaper through, and you'll stay cool. Or, as cool as you'd be without a sleep cap, anyhow.

Even better (but a lot more costly and harder to find) - get a yard of lightweight wool - pure wool - like woolen veiling, or woolen gauze... you should still be able to almost read a newspaper through it... and make yourself a scarf or cap out of that. Very thin lightweight wool is even more breathable than lightweight thin silk is!