PDA

View Full Version : fast winter growers' club!

jojo
October 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hi everybody,
I know it is said that summer brings the fastest growth spurts for most people, I however get my fastest growing spurts in winter.

Maybe this is due to me doing more DC and wearing hats? or maybe that is how I am programmed who knows! But its very welcome all the same!

Anybody else a winter grower and would like to share your theories for this or would like to share your changes in routine and of course monthly measurements?

I am at present 29.2" so shall see what growth winter brings.

HairFaerie
October 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I grow fast in the winter too.

One of my theories is that perhaps because I sleep a lot more than in the summer, that affects growth.

Also, since I live in a colder climate (Northeastern Ohio), I am not as active than in the summer months, perhaps that gives my growth a bigger boost because my body isn't using up all of it's energy on other things.

I tend to eat more hearty meals in the winter too. Stews and soups and other stuff that I just don't cook in the summer because it's hot outside. I eat very lightly in the summer.

These are just a few of my theories on why my hair grows more in the winter. They may be totally incorrect! But, they seem to make sense to me.

Great thread! I am interested to hear other people's take on this!

Lunakitty
October 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I have only been measuring since January 2010, but my growth went from 1/4" each week in January/February to about 1/2" per month over the summer.

ericthegreat
October 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
My growth rate is pretty consistent. I have always had fast growing hair. In an average year, I will usually gain 7 inches of length. But, I also prefer my hemline to be thick and healthy, so I S&D quite often and I get a professional trim at the salon about 4 times a year. My growth rate I believe is more related to my diet and my overall health, rather then the seasons.

jojo
October 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I grow fast in the winter too.

One of my theories is that perhaps because I sleep a lot more than in the summer, that affects growth.

Also, since I live in a colder climate (Northeastern Ohio), I am not as active than in the summer months, perhaps that gives my growth a bigger boost because my body isn't using up all of it's energy on other things.

I tend to eat more hearty meals in the winter too. Stews and soups and other stuff that I just don't cook in the summer because it's hot outside. I eat very lightly in the summer.

These are just a few of my theories on why my hair grows more in the winter. They may be totally incorrect! But, they seem to make sense to me.

Great thread! I am interested to hear other people's take on this!

This all apply s to me too I do sleep more and eat more hearty meals too, I know I went from shoulder to apl from Oct 07 to Jan 08 yet only grew 2" over the summer months and ive noticed this is the norm for me. I oil lightly every day but the difference is I wear a hat most days when its freezing.x

Eric you have amazing growing hair, your tips are very welcome x

Lunakitty-seems you belong here in this club! x

ETA= just realised I tend to use cones more in colder weather too extra protection preventing breakage?

FrannyG
October 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I am another who seems to find that my hair growth, while average in summer, is faster in fall, winter and spring. I always seem to have the biggest spurts between November and February.

I actually have a log of my hair growth, and it seems to be true every year.

I haven't figured out any reason for that at all, but I'm looking forward to what this season will bring. :)

mellie89
October 26th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm a fast winter grower too. I get about 2/3 of an inch per month in the fall and winter compared to a half inch during the summer. I always thought it was my body's way of acclimatizing to the freezing temperatures. Animals grow thicker coats in the winter, so why shouldn't our hair grow faster too?

I generally get more sleep during the summer, since I'm not at school, so that can't be it for me. I do eat more in the winter... I usually put on a few pounds over the holidays. ;) So that could definitely play a part in the faster growth.

I could be completely off base here, but that's okay. :D

Morrighan
October 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Mine slows down during the summer and grows faster during the rest of the year. I read on another thread that most people grow faster during summer because of the sun. Sun shine is supposed to boost hair growth or something. That makes sense in my case because I actually get more sun exposer during the "winter". Where I live it's like summer all year round. But during the actual summer stepping outside is like stepping in an oven. So I spend summers indoors as much as possible. The rest of the year is still hot and super sunny, but usually bearable. "Winter" is the least hot and I'm not as likely to get a sun burn or tan (even though I always wear sun block), so that's when I spend the most time outside.

christine1989
October 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I get slightly more growth in the fall and winter. I think it is because I am walking around outside more. I usually stay inside and drive a lot in the summer (because I HATE hot weather) but in the winter I walk places and do more activities. I think the extra exercise gets the circulation going and helps my hair grow a bit more.

JenniferNoel
October 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I live most of the time in a very warm, sunny place, and never really get to experience a true winter (although when I did, they were nice, until the snow became too much), but during the season I have noticed a very dramatic increase in my hair growth. Perhaps a simple change of general temperature, from too hot to almost too cold, and different activities (more outdoors) and even foods that are ever present in the winter have something to do with it.
My hair seems to grow in to a thick winter coat every year. It's already starting to look thicker, and my outgrow, well, we'll have to wait and see on that one. I'm freshly hennaed.

triumphator!
October 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I think I qualify for this, just from pure memory. But this remains to be seen! :p

keight425
October 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Interesting topic, I'm not sure how it is for me, ill have to pay attention!

Masara
October 27th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I've recently realised that my hair more or less stops growing from May to September. My winter growth isn't super fast, but I usually get around 1/2 an inch a month then, sping is usually my best growth period.
I have no theories as to why.

HairFaerie
December 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Winter growth continues to prevail for me! Yay!
It seems to have sprouted in November.
I am curious to see if it keeps up its growing pace throughout the winter and with any luck from the hair faeries, it will keep it up ALL YEAR! :)
Anyone else getting good growth this winter?

aenflex
December 3rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have only been measuring since January 2010, but my growth went from 1/4" each week in January/February to about 1/2" per month over the summer.
You had a quarter of an inch a week??? Crazy!!

jenwexler
December 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I don't think I grow faster in the winter, but I'd love to know how it can grow faster in the winter =)

jojo
December 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
ive grown just short of an inch for the second month running, grew just 2" from January until September though :( so if I get an inch December and 1" January that gives me the average 6" a year cool!

Alix
December 3rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't know if I'm going to grow more in the winter, but I am definitely shedding less so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

enfys
December 3rd, 2010, 05:12 PM
This is the first year I will be actively recording my growth rate, so we'll see.

I don't recall if my growth rate is better in any season, but if it is in winter then I'm sure that's down to my constant huddling by heaters and wearing very warm clothes. I probably have a higher body temperature in winter than summer, even if it doesn't feel like it.

LunarAurora
December 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm in too, but for the first year. It is very surprising !
I think it is because I work now, and that I didn't this summer, so I "exercise" lol (which seems good for hair growth)

triumphator!
December 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I thought I grew faster in the winter... I usually get up to an inch a month. Or at least I used to. I don't think it's happening so far this year :wail: