PDA

View Full Version : compliments

justme
October 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I used to be shy about giving compliments to people, especially about their hair. Not any more. I found this (from here (http://www.givesmehope.com/view/Random%20acts%20of%20kindness/93514)):

Today I was having a really bad day at work.

As I was ringing up a customer, she randomly said "You have pretty hair!"

I didn't stop smiling the rest of my shift. She has no idea how much that compliment brightened my day.

Random strangers who aren't afraid to give out compliments GMH.

Since I've done this on more than one occasion, the thought that it could be me she's talking about made my day! :D

ETA: This quote isn't from me, but rather could be about me randomly complimenting someone else's hair.

Hacksaw007
October 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Just me, you do have very nice hair. Thanks for sharing.

bumblebums
October 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I try to do this whenever I can, too.

Alcenaia
October 25th, 2010, 06:03 PM
That site is a lovely positive thing. Thanks for pointing that one out here!

:flower:

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I agree - you have pretty hair for sure, justme. I should know; I've seen it for real.

Carolyn
October 25th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Well you do have compliment worthy hair :) I have a hard time getting the courage to give a compliment to a stranger. I should try harder to do it more often. I love it when someone gives me one.

justme
October 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Um, thanks for the compliments y'all, but this wasn't supposed to be about my hair! ;) That quote isn't from me, but the thought that I could be the person talked about in it (who gave the compliment) gave me warm fuzzies.

I remember at a health food store just last week telling the lady that she had gorgeous curls (she did!). She seemed so pleased! I love making people feel good, even in such a small way.

rusika1
October 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I understood what you meant, justme, and I also like to give random hair compliments. I don't usually stick around to see what the reaction is, I usually just walk past the person on my way out and tell them they have great hair. That way neither of us has time to feel awkward.

justme
October 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
That's actually kind of what I did to the cashier, but she called out to me to wish me a good day. She had a big smile on her face. :D

jojo
October 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
We have a lady who gets dialysed at the renal unit i work at, she has a tb length thick braid, despite being on prednisilone and loosing a good inch in thickness she must be a good 5" circumference and I always tell her hair is looking beautiful.

LouLaLa
October 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah Im always complimenting random people. The receptionist at my gym was thrilled when i mentioned her awesome nails and said no-one ever complimented her on them even though theyd cost alot of money to get done. I also randomly gave some kid at the park bread to feed the ducks on Sunday as I could see he was sad we had duck food and he didnt, his dad was a bit wary (even though I asked the dad first so he didnt think I was some kidnapper crazy woman. The kid was so so happy and ran up to me later on to say thanks).

I think today sadly we naturally distrust people and are brought up to be skeptical but so long as you do it in a non-creepy way its the nicest thing to do. Maybe I seem nuts but id rather say good stuff and be a good neighbour than be a catty person.

As Audrey Hepburn said "...For beautiful lips speak kind words and for lovely eyes see only the good in people" If its good enough for Audrey ill give it a go ;)

Lunakitty
October 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
LouLaLa,
Ya know you are right. I think that I hold back compliments because I feel like people will think I have that "creepy stalker vib".

I also like the idea of giving the compliment quickly in passing so as not to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I am definately going to try this more often!

Happy Phantom
October 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Lunakitty, I also hold back compliments for the same reason... I think many people would find it strange to have their hair commented by a more or less stranger, wouldn't they?

sibiryachka
October 26th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I have never, ever gotten a bad reaction from giving a drive-by compliment on someone's hair, and I do it rather often. If they find me creepy, they're doing a good job of politely concealing it.

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I love complimenting people. It's fun to try to notice the unique and the exquisite in others, and the way faces light up feels awfully good too. I haven't given many hair compliments, because this doesn't really seem to be a hair city (pretty much everybody has a Conservative BusinessPerson haircut), but I'm always on the lookout.

LisaMonster
October 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I always feel really self-conscious about complimenting people, I have no idea why.

Sometimes with friends, I feel stupid if I've complimented a certain item of clothing or accessory on more than one occasion, or if I'm with someone and I "double compliment" them. Like, if I compliment their bag and then later their shirt or something, I feel weird and dumb.

It's so silly, they always appreciate it, of course!

CurlyTresses
October 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I also love complimenting people, especially when it comes to hair, OMGosh, I can't hold back. And usually they're pleasant and say thanks.

Justme your hair is absolutely beautiful. Love the waves. :)

x0h_bother
October 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Justme, you have awesome hair :)

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
It occurs to me that my complimenting people is probably an example of how the filter between my brain and mouth doesn't work quite right. "So I'll pick you up from - ooh, cute puppy in the red truck! - school at 4:00" isn't that different from <dead-silent elevator> "OMG I love your purple shoes!"

bumblebums
October 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I like giving random compliments, and I've never had a bad reaction. I also like receiving random compliments. What I don't like is random questions. Sometimes (actually, usually) I am not in a mood for a conversation, and a question is more of an intrusion than a compliment.

justme
October 26th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks ya'll!

As Audrey Hepburn said "...For beautiful lips speak kind words and for lovely eyes see only the good in people"

That's awesome! It's so true, too.

It occurs to me that my complimenting people is probably an example of how the filter between my brain and mouth doesn't work quite right. "So I'll pick you up from - ooh, cute puppy in the red truck! - school at 4:00" isn't that different from <dead-silent elevator> "OMG I love your purple shoes!"

I laughed out loud at this because it's so me. Often I don't even get out a complete sentence, it's just "Puppy!!!" with a huge grin on my face. I even did the shoe thing to a lady in the waiting line the other day. Ha!

keight425
October 26th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I definitely try and give fellow longhairs compliments on their long hair and usually ask questions about it, as I like responses/compliments about my hair better than the banal "your hair is so long" comment.

JamieLeigh
October 27th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I also like to give random hair compliments. I don't usually stick around to see what the reaction is, I usually just walk past the person on my way out and tell them they have great hair. That way neither of us has time to feel awkward.

This is what I do as well. It doesn't embarrass me at all to compliment someone's hair, but I've noticed the complimentee does sometimes get a little flustered at unexpected attention, even if it's positive. I know that it would make my day if someone was that nice to me. :D

Intransigentia
October 27th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Often I don't even get out a complete sentence, it's just "Puppy!!!" with a huge grin on my face. I even did the shoe thing to a lady in the waiting line the other day. Ha!

Two things:
1. That's one of many reasons my partner, who is a special ed. teacher, has (half-seriously, half-humourously) diagnosed me with ADD.

2. I think you "can get away with" odd compliments when it's done as a spontaneous expression of delight, a la "PUPPY!!1!" more so than when you try to think of the exact right thing to say.

Rowanne
October 28th, 2010, 04:06 AM
LouLaLa,
Ya know you are right. I think that I hold back compliments because I feel like people will think I have that "creepy stalker vib".

I think the difference between being nice and being creepy is the difference between "wow, you have lovely hair" and "wow, you have lovely hair, can I touch it". Unless of course the compliment comes from a kid. :D

justme
October 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah, my internal filter is not nearly as on as it used to be. I just say stuff and don't let myself think about it too much beforehand. After a long history of overthinking and overanalyzing everything, I'm much happier now even if I blurt out something a little odd. ;)

queenofhair
October 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM
That site is awesome. After reading the stories tears were running down my face.