PDA

View Full Version : Curlies/wavies, do you sacrifice curls for length or length for curls?

TealDolphin
October 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I hope this makes sense haha

Celtic_Willow
October 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yes, it absolutely makes sense! I usually have to sacrifice length for curlies cause otherwise the weight pulls on them and my loose spirals become just loose waves. *sigh*. Thats probably one of the reasons I 'm not at waist or tailbone by now, because once my curls got too stretched out I become annoyed with it and would just chop it back to apl.

x0h_bother
October 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I sacrifice curls for length. I let my hair do what it wants to now that it's long and then try to bump it up with products once in a while to get it to curl more.

Speedbump
October 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, it makes total sense. And I definitely sacrifice curls for length. In fact, I just posted a bunch of photos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58130) illustrating that very well.

I do miss my curls! I'm down to "just waves" now even at the end of wash day. Buuut.....it's worth it. As much as I miss them, at this time I would miss my length more. I have just begun to truly feel like I have long hair this year.

There may come a day when I look back at my old waist-length photos and want those curls back badly enough to cut. *Right now* I can't see that day, but I don't count it out, because people change and priorities change. Right now, I am enjoying classic length immensely, and there is NO chance I'm cutting! :lol:

If you are having a dilemma about it, you can always cut back later if you truly get tired of having "straight" hair (comparatively).

Eire
October 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I guess it's a little backward for me. If my hair is too short, my waves turn into a sort of poofy frizz because my hair is so light. Now that it's long, the waves are heavier and more defined.

If I use Caruso or hot rollers, I noticed that the curls pull out a little faster than they did when it was short. I solved this problem by primarily curling the ends of my hair.

virgo75
October 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I sacrifice curls for length.

Well, sort of. My hair is fine and it frizzes and loses definition so easily that I usually just braid it after I wash it and end up with waves which also happens to make it longer than when it's curled up. It also naturally loses some curl the longer it gets.

Either way it's a lot more work for me to try to keep my curls so I don't even try unless I'm in the mood for it. :shrug:

Ryanne
October 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I would sacrifice curls for length. Only my hair seems to be gaining instead of losing curls still, the longer it grows.

princessp
October 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Right now, I sacrifice length for curls/wave. My wet hair is just about tailbone, my dry hair is between tailbone and waist (closer to waist). So I sacrifice almost 6 inches. I'm hoping with all the hair weight, I will still have a good deal of my wave/curls when I reach tailbone (dry hair). But I also like that with length (and extra hair weight) comes less crazy curls that form into nice waves with some fun whirls.

xxmeganxx
October 25th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I sacrafice curls for length but oddly my curls/waves look better with long hair. When its short their just abit out of control but when its long the look neater.

GRU
October 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I actually hoped I'd end up with "waves" as my hair got longer/heavier, but as you can see, I'm still a curly freak. :shrug: I've given up fighting with it and decided to let it do its own thing.... much less angst that way!

dfotw
October 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'd sacrifice curls for length, but the damned things refuse to be sacrificed for anything, so at the moment I'm sacrificing 6 inches of curl-shrinkage to my hair type... :rolleyes:

Wanderer09
October 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm definitely sacrificing curls for length right now. Since my hair is up a lot, I don't particularly mind. :)

jojo
October 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM
My hairs weird, its curly when very short but long the waves stay but in a strange V pattern, mine are more vaves!

JulietCapulet
October 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yes. Both. Most of the time it's sacrificing hair health for straightness.

mwedzi
October 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't get it :confused:

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Right now, I'm sacrificing curls for length. I simply must get to classic length and maintain it for at least year, otherwise I'll die unfulfilled (that's a joke).

But one of these days I'm going back to something shorter - maybe hip length, and layered to encourage the curl.

cmnt831
October 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm sacrificing curls for length at this point. I was just looking at my older photos and now I'm missing the nice fat spirals I get when my hair is shorter. I'm still undecided which way I really want to go with my hair - curls or length.

wimsey
October 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I sacrifice waves for length. But I'm kinda liking my looser bun waves, too.

Hotrox
October 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm not really long enough to know what will happen to my curls, except that it appears to be getting curlier with length, and therefore constantly actually growing and looking shorter :rolleyes:

CaitSith
October 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Curls for length. Definitely. When my hair's short and curly, it frizzes up and looks absolutely terrible. My hair at the moment is damn heavy though, enough for the curls to barely even be noticable. It's weird, but I'm grateful for it.

eyesofsummer
October 25th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I actually hoped I'd end up with "waves" as my hair got longer/heavier, but as you can see, I'm still a curly freak. :shrug: I've given up fighting with it and decided to let it do its own thing.... much less angst that way!

Haha I'm with GRU on this one :D

darkwaves
October 25th, 2010, 08:36 PM
My hair changes -- sometimes it remembers it's curly, and other times, it forgets.

When it remembers, then I get both curl and length -- thought not nearly as much length as when it forgets, because the curl bounces about five or six inches. (which I'm guessing is not a lot compared to some of our curlies!)

When it forgets, it needs mega gel and product to remind it to clump and curl, and that's a mega-pain at 35" because the more the gel, the greater the knots. That's when I wish it was short -- I could gel to my heart/curl's content then, and the knots would be manageable.

ilovelonghair
October 26th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Don't fight with them: they are beautiful!

I lost all my waves (like they were in my siggy picture), but I can get the front spirals (very very loose spirals) back with aloe vera if I want.
So I go for length. I also think that it wasn't so much length for me but thickness: it was very very thin and it's getting thicker and heavier now, so = loss of waves. Ah well, can't have everything :p

Athena's Owl
October 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I don't understand. the word sacrifice is confusing me.

KittyLost
October 26th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Guilty! I haven't seen my natural curl in a while, I keep my hair in updos 99% of the time and when it gets longer I usually straighten it to make it even longer and lose curls. I'm hoping not to do that this time round and just embrace my curlies, but my hair is still a while away from wearing it down and it looking acceptable haha.

Skylight
October 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I seem to be the odd one out. I want to keep my curls even if it means that I can't grow very long. I spent my childhood absolutely hating my curls, and grew my hair as long as possible to try to lessen them. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to take care of curls or long hair, and the result was an absolute mess. I guess that now that I've learned to appreciate my hair, I'm afraid of letting it go back to the way it was.

EbonyCurls
October 26th, 2010, 04:39 AM
My curls seem to get curlier the longer they are. The shorter my hair, the thicker the spirals, the longer my hair gets, the tighter the spirals get. I've started to literally have to manually pull apart certain curls because they form a long, skinny "curl-tube". I've never had to do that with shorter hair.

09robiha
October 26th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I like my curls more :)

JenniferNoel
October 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I'm enjoying my hair at this length and every next length, and aim to emphasize and have fun with my natural waves bouncing around below my shoulders. I really love my texture and to me, hair quality and wave is more important than length.

ooo
October 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I sacrifice curls for length. I don't miss them, cause I wear my hair curly every now and then :)

DivineComedian
October 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I tend to sacrifice curls for length- my hair is naturally somewhere between curly and just wavy, but when it's curly it goes frizzy, so it tends to look better when it's longer with gentler waves. My hair is an absolute nightmare when shoulder length or shorter, so I'm glad I'm past that point now. Despite this, it always looks short anyway due to the shrinkage caused by my natural hair type (the ends curl a lot whatever I do to it). I used to try and make it appear longer by using straighteners, but I've given them up for now.

Kibitzer
October 26th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I don't think of it as a sacrifice but I choose length over curl. When it was curly I just loaded it down with products and it was just a mess. Now I think my curls would look great since I know how to take care of it. Maybe in the future I will choose curl but for now it's length length length.

eezepeeze
October 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'd sacrifice curls for length, but the damned things refuse to be sacrificed for anything, so at the moment I'm sacrificing 6 inches of curl-shrinkage to my hair type... :rolleyes:

This! I'm at waist when my hair is wet and stilllllllll just below BSL when dry. I sacrifice curls for length, hoping they will eventually be weighted down into waves, but I fear that is a lost cause.

I've recently been rag curling my hair (using mismatched socks as the rags) to fight some frizz and define the curl. That's been working to stretch the curls out some and curtail some of the shrink.

lapushka
October 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I guess it's a little backward for me. If my hair is too short, my waves turn into a sort of poofy frizz because my hair is so light. Now that it's long, the waves are heavier and more defined.

Same here. The waves actually become more defined as the hair grows. At chin length, I barely have waves and my hair gets really messy, so lots of styling is needed to tame it. At about BSL, or the last bit between APL & BSL, it becomes a lot more manageable and more defined so that there's barely any styling needed.

CurlyTresses
October 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I love curls at any length, but being that I love, love, love long hair even more, I'd sacrifice for length.

CTH3989
October 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I sacrifice length. I have MAJOR shrinkage so my hair looks like it's shoulder length when it is in fact, much longer.

TinaDenali
October 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM
My hair actually has become much curlier the longer (and less damaged) it has become.

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
For some reason, I feel like my natural length is my length unstretched.

I do have 3b/3c hair, so it shrinks tons and sits just slightly past shoulder length curly, but stretches to close to BSL when straight. I feel though that this isn't how I would naturally wear my hair, so I kind of go with my unstretched length.

My length to the left << that's my length stretched, but I will remeasure to see what it naturally rests at.

cuddledumplin
October 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I sacrifice curls for length. My hair is very curly when short, but my hair is merely wavy when long.

Quixii
October 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Haven't really decided yet. I'm just letting it grow. I still get decent curls with the length. If that changes, I might reconsider. :shrug:

mariika
October 29th, 2010, 06:41 AM
LENGTH. Not even a question for me.

EXACTLY!! Who the hell wants to sacrifice length for CURLS??? Like, seriously??!!

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't get it :confused:

I don't understand. the word sacrifice is confusing me.
Lucky people whose curls loosen up as their hair gets longer (because hair becomes heavy) are discussing whether they are willing to have more curl (which involves cutting their hair shorter) or more length (which involves having less curly hair).

kitschy
October 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
It isn't an "either/or" decision for me. My hair is going to be curly regardless of the length.

Lose my curls? It just can't happen, even length is no match to the strength of these babies.

ZaBasDa
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I lost my curl somewhere around waist or longer, so I cut it. But this time I won't give up my length just for pretty curls.

donna'sdaughter
October 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I sacrifice my length for my curls-they eat all my hard work up! But that could be because I have poofy biracial hair that has a mind of its own and refuses to yield to my attempts at "calming"it down. The only time that I really get to enjoy my length is when I press (hot comb) my hair straight.

mwedzi
November 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Lucky people whose curls loosen up as their hair gets longer (because hair becomes heavy) are discussing whether they are willing to have more curl (which involves cutting their hair shorter) or more length (which involves having less curly hair).

Oooooh. Okay, now I understand. So this question isn't even relevant to me, lol. Thanks for answering.

autumnchild
November 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Wowsers Kitschy!!!

Your hair is beautiful!!! :applause:applause:applause Whatever you are doing, it's surely working!!

curlymarcia
November 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
I prefer length over curls. At shoulder length I had tight spirals, and now at BSL my curls are not as tight as used to be but are still strong curls. Anyway, I don't think I could end up without curls at waist (maybe a little less curlier, but still curly).

McFearless
November 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have REALLY curly hair. Length doesn't effect my curl pattern much at all. If its shoulder length it turns into a triangle though.