PDA

View Full Version : Long haired bleach blondes with fine hair, do you exist? :)

Phalaenopsis
October 25th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I've looked up all the threads about bleach, but I still didn't find my answer. Are there long haired girls with fine hair that have bleached hair?

I reached my hairgoal (hip), I have fine hair but a lot of it and it's in a good condition. Years and years I've wanted to have blonde hair, it always comes up again, then I decide I shouldn't do it because bleach damages. I think this is a thing I just have to do so I can really let it go. But I don't want to go in the salon and come home with a lot of length cut off because of damage or ending up with really thin ends.

I do realize that bleached hair needs more nourishment, but can it be pretty and soft with the right products, even though I have fine, fragile hair? I have seen some real bad bleach blondes and I've seen some gorgeous bleach blondes. When I saw this girl in a shop with very similar hair to mine, bleached, I was in awe. It was so pretty!

I have a nice hairdresser and she is against it only because it would take forever to grow out again.

So, any fine hair girls out there who bleach their hair and still hit waist length?

Gem
October 25th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I don't have an answer, but I know it will depend on how many shades lighter you want to go - platinum blonde will be more damaging than something like caramel blonde.

Marjolein
October 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM
You've been contemplating this for quite some time now, so perhaps you should indeed just try it. Perhaps you could start with lots of tiny highlighted strands? Then the transition to being a blonde wouldn't be too much of a shock, you wouldn't damage as much hair, and your roots wouldn't be as noticable when they grow back in.

Another thought. Perhaps you could just put some highlights around your face? Then you would have a more blonde appearance, but if for some reason the color or texture of those hairs would annoy you you could more easily get rid of them (by getting some face framing layers).

cocolady
October 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I wouldn't do this if I were you. There is so much damage that comes with bleach, it's so not worth it in my opinion.

BelleBot
October 25th, 2010, 05:03 AM
It's entirely up to you what you do. I always like experimenting, after all you only live once.
If you do decide to go blonde, go in steps to save your hair so don't jump too many shades at once. Highlights is a good idea. And make sure you drown your hair in coconut oil first to give it a fighting chance.

I've had bleach blonde tailbone length hair on a few occassions. Yes it is possible, however be prepared to spend all your time pampering your hair. The texture will change, it will be slightly rougher and a lot more velcro like. It will dry out quickly and you'll find a lot more splits. I'm still babying mine from bleach damage (I bleached to almost platinum prior to going vivid pink). However you can still have nice looking long hair without having to lose length, just don't expect it to behave quite as well as virgin hair.

The biggest problem I had being blonde, is regrowth. Your roots will look terribly dark and very noticeable very quickly. You'll have to be careful when bleaching your roots to match your length as it's very easy to end up with horizontal stripes or mismatched blondes. Highlights are a fantastic way to combat this though.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

Lozzie
October 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Hey!
I have similar hair to yours, been many different shades but i have found the most damage to ever happen when i've gone those many shades lighter which can only be achieved by bleach.. Had highlights put in back in July to 'brighten' myself up.. really regret it as it really dried my hair out even though it was just on top layers. Broke alot of precious fine hair too, gone back reddish brown now which i feel most comfortable with anyway.. Sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to put you off. It's just that our hair is quite similar and yours looks like it is in REALLY good condition, also consider the regrowth. Although when your roots come through the bleach will only touch the part that needs colouring, it takes ALOT of commitment to keep it up (which i obviously didn't have!) Your hair is a really beautiful colour by the way. Obviously go for it if you're itching to know, just be prepared to get through lots of conditioner :-) xx

Neneka
October 25th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I bleached my hair when it was shorter and I regret it. No my ends are very fragile and dry and I did that almost two years ago! I didn't care much about my hair back then but I noticed how dry bleaching made it and the same thing happened to my sister. But if you want it you could try highlights first like Marjorie said. Everyones' hair is different.

LouLaLa
October 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I have hair naturally as light in my picture and went super duper light blonde and it ruined my hair, im now cutting out all the damage.

Its a pity you arent already a bit blonde as I also tried sun-in which despite the bad rap wasnt actually that damaging at all and made my hair go golden blonde (how affected my the 2000s trends was I ;).

All in all I think it does dry your hair, but if youre careful and just do your roots itll be ok. Id get it done at a salon as such a complex transition, if done at home will most likely leave you with that awful cheesy/straw coloured blonde.

Also root upkeep is a 24/7 nightmare.

Your hair is SO beautiful now and I imgaine it would not be anywhere near as shiny if you dyed it, it reallyd does trash your hair, stripping out all the lovely natural oils. Most people I know, including me havent regretted the blonde but regret the upkeep and constant need to SMT your ends as they get super brittle. I quit dye as my hairdresser was like "no more or youll be bald lady!" so for the past year ive been trimming off damage.

Ill pretty much garuntee it wont look as lucious as it does now (you are one of my all time hair envys here its SO nice, and reminds me of how good it would have looked had I not dyed).

Id say next trim or (snip a bit off) dye it your desired shade and see what happens before you do your whole head.

Sorry to be such a drag :p Just do a tester first on a little snipped off piece to see how your hair reacts, then you can make a better judgement :)

All in all I regret ever dying it, but well sometimes a girl needs a change dosent she!
Id say all in all be prepared for:
*dry/brittle ends
*having to be super gentle
*needing to SMT LOTS and LOTS
*Roots need doing every two weeks
*Toning to keep it bright not brassy
*Overprocessing
*Having to cut all your ends off more regularly

Good luck :)

EDIT: Just saw you are going the salon route, sorry if my post is over wordy, just thought id try explain my expereince/general advice for anyone enjoying the thread who may not go the salon.

Rocket22
October 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
NO NO NO!!!!! I know all hair is different and my hair is not long but this is was what happened to me and I did go to a “professional” I still get my hair highlighted but only the top and going to try very very hard not to anymore, but this took me years to fix and because I still highlight the top I still have tons of breakage that I am now even more aware of because of LHC. With hair like yours, seriously, I wouldn’t chance it. Or if you did have to do something different I would only do a few around your face. ( I think this is what I will work towards) really that is all you need to feel “blonde” I think anyways :)

rags
October 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well, I don't know if your hair is as fine as mine (I've had 3 hairdressers tell me they've never seen hair so fine!) but ONE application of bleach done by a professional broke some of my hair totally off. Luckily it was only highlights! My hair doesn't do well at ALL even with dark dye though, so it may just be that I have unusually fragile hair ( I think so).

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Before you make a decision, try on some blonde wigs to see what shade (if any) looks good on you. It would be a shame to wreck your lovely hair only to find out blonde makes you look washed out and sickly.

Another way you can do this is play with hair colors on the Taaz website.

I've seen some terrible bleached hair, also some lovely bleached hair. I noticed a woman at the gym whose hair used to look pretty good at APL for how much lighter she went than her natural color (she had noticeable roots about half the time). After not seeing her for months, now her hair looks like something has been chewing on the ends. She'd have to cut from APL to above the shoulders to have nice ends again.

Spike
October 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
This is probably a stupid question for a member on this forum, but--

How emotionally attached to your hair are you?

You can't know what bleach will do to your own personal mane until you try it. And then it's too late. :(

If you'll be crying and miserable if the bleach damages your hair, then probably best to get a blonde wig and pull that out when you want to be platinum for a while.

If you can really, truly say--eh, it's hair, I grew it once and I can do it again--then go for it! You only live once, and you might as well have fun while you're here.

I've colored my hair every shade in the rainbow, grown it out, cut it off. Along the way I've found what I'm willing to do (learn updos and wear it up all my waking hours, oil and condition every day, rinse with vinegar) and what I WILL. NOT. DO. Not never nohow (style every morning, keep up with roots and perms. I'm lazy, thenkyewveddymuch.)

Wishing you a happy hair journey, whatever you choose. :cheese:

littlenvy
October 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
hhmm .. are you sure you need to "bleach" it??

My hair is very fine but not as long or dark as yours. When I use regular dye/bleach my hair needs a LOT of TLC all the time otherwise it goes crispy.
But I have started using Herbatint Platinum Blonde (the one in my avi) and while it doesn't actually come out platinum it is a rather healthy blonde.
If I moisturise before and after Herbatint my hair remains nice and healthy. :)

TrudieCat
October 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Keep in mind that for many people, hair that's dyed blonde from a darker color will go brassy very easily. I would discuss the color options and chances of color fading or going brassy with your stylist beforehand just so you don't end up with color surprises.

Katurday
October 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
It depends on the degree of blondery and the amount of work you're willing to put into it. Will your blonde be possible at home, or will it be a salon visit? Budget is a lot of think hairdyers neglect to think about - sure it was affordable to get it, but is it affordable to keep it?

aenflex
October 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I would urge you not to. While all results will differ and the amount of damage might differ, the fact remains that bleach/developer opens the cuticle. And they don't close it all the way when they are done :)
Open cuticles = BAD, we all know this. With short hair it's easier to manage/minimize. With longer hair I think the damage would be worse and you would end up losing a lot and needing to trim a lot. Of course it's personal choice and I do love the colour yellow and caramel blondes, no doubt it would look on you.

Alvrodul
October 25th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Once upon a time I used to bleach my hair. It is many years ago, so all the damage from that period in my life is long gone. I found out then that my hair will curl up and die if I so much as wave a bottle of bleach at it. :rip: My hair turned out awful - dry, brittle, fragile - so there was really only one thing that could be done. :scissors: :cry:

Due to my own experiences with bleach, I never recommend that anyone do that to their hair!:horse:

BrightEyes7
October 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't do it... My hair can stand a lot of abuse and still be soft. But when I was bleaching my hair... and I didn't do it every 6-8 weeks like most, I'd go a lot longer... it would break so easily. I have thicker hair than you and my hair couldn't take it. With fine hair I'm sure it wouldn't be able to take it either. Have you thought about honey lightening...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

It is a more natural and less damaging way to lighten. If you really have your heart set on blonde. It may take a few treatments but I'm sure you can lighten your hair up a few shades!

lundmir
October 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I'm on the minority here, but I do bleach my hair and it is just hitting waist. My length, from my armpit to all the way down has been dyed and bleached around 10 times (yikes!) with different developers, box dyes, vegetable dyes, and even henna. Above apl I just bleached twice with 20 vol. developer, and the top 3 or 4 inches with 30 vol. developer.

Right now my hair is a bright red/pink to black gradient. I have it this way to avoid damaging the overprocessed ends. When I bleached originally I did it to platinum to get a bright red, as I do now.

I don't ever find split ends and my hair is only a bit less silky, but that was fixed with acv rinses and a protein treatment like every two months or so. I did henna the lower part, but that was a lot of months ago, there's no henna on the top of my hair.

I do use coconut oil and don't heat style, I sleep on braids and baby it, but I would too if I didn't process it.

So, to condense: I bleach to platinum my blue-black, straight, baby fine hair and don't deal with damage. But that's my hair, really strong and well behaved. So, it is possible, but if you're prone to damage with a lot of things I wouldn't do it.

Maverick494
October 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I am an expert on this :D because I dyed my hair blonde for 3 years, in a medium clonde colour. People thought it was my natural colour, because I was very precise with the upkeep. So now, it doesn´t mean you´re going to have brassy colour. You just need to know what you're doing.

However, judging from your pictures (where I see a very warm color)you can't go blonde in one go.

There are several options for you that would work:
1. Go to a salon, and ask for a combination of highlights and lowlights in the blonde spectrum, so it will look as natural as possible.
Click here (http://www.hairnewsnetwork.com/adpics/4a7b212cf1b41658386a41553.jpg)

They will most likely use a green powdered dye/peroxide, as that stops the hair from becoming orange. After that, refrain from washing your hair for a week, so the colour can settle. This helps keep it looking good. Baby your hair with deepconditioning treatments many times after that. Also, be specific about what you want. Take pictures with you if you have to and threaten to shoot their car tires if they cut an inch off your hair.

2.Pick a boxed colour 2 shades lighter than the one you're sporting now. With your hair you willl need 3 packs, if not more. Try one with no ammonia, to minimize damage. If the colour is not light enough for you, you can either:
a. choose highlights (after atleast 4 weeks)
b. colour it a max of two shades lighter (after atleast 4 weeks.)
Whatever you do, don't mess around too much with bleach. This is what destroys hair. So be patient. Boxed colours can colour your hair up to 2 shades lighter and that is better for your hair.

Now, some things to look out for:
- Roots. Yes, especially when you go blonde, they're evil. I needed to touch them up every 3 weeks and let me tell you, it gets tedious. When doing touchups, just do the roots and nothing more. I made the mistake of slapping packages on the roots and length of my hair and I paid the price by having to cut off a lot. Unlike boxed dark colours, blonde doesn't fade fast at all.

- Preventing damage from dyeing: I got this helpful tip from fellow LHC'er FrannyG

"If I were planning a full head dye, I would definitely try to schedule it for a day when I could oil the night before. The longer the better, really, but if you simply don't have the time, having the coconut oil on your hair for at least an hour or two is still good. I just do it overnight for good measure. But I figure, better safe than sorry. And yes, I would then dye my hair right over top of the coconut oil."

So make an educated descision because it's a big jump!
Hope this helps!

BranwenWolf
October 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Another thing to think of:

I have blonde hair but stupidly decided to use one of those home highlight kits. I got scalp burns from the chemicals. It was painful and distressing because I worried that I had killed off some hair follicles.

Besides that, the highlights had come out as a very comical, skunk-headed pattern. Think "rock star with tacky hair". Let this be a reminder to get things done by a professional, not your mom! (unless your mom IS a stylist)

If you still want to try it I think Maverick494 has great advice about shades.

LHktress
October 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM
If your hair is fine, it's entirely possible that you might achieve blondeness with just dye, which is far less damaging than bleach. It works for me (I'm really a brunette), but I know my hair very very well and know what to expect when I put dye on it.

Do keep in mind that if you go blonde, you will have to keep it up. Depending on the level of blondeness, type of application, your hair growth rate -- you might have to do it every 2-3 weeks! Are you up for it?

Rocket22
October 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
natural as possible.
Click here (http://www.hairnewsnetwork.com/adpics/4a7b212cf1b41658386a41553.jpg)

OT: is this your hair? oh my!!! this is just beautiful!!!!! would be my dream color :) just had to tell you this!

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM
If your hair is fine, it's entirely possible that you might achieve blondeness with just dye, which is far less damaging than bleach. It works for me (I'm really a brunette), but I know my hair very very well and know what to expect when I put dye on it.

Do keep in mind that if you go blonde, you will have to keep it up. Depending on the level of blondeness, type of application, your hair growth rate -- you might have to do it every 2-3 weeks! Are you up for it?

Dye alone doesn't lighten hair. There has to be bleach or peroxide in the process somewhere.

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
PS - you could wait until it goes white/silver, then tone it to blonde. It would be a long wait for you, though.

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Here's a weird idea:

Have you seen the folks who color just the bottom few inches of their hair a wild color? If you like that look, this might work.

Why don't you bleach just the bottom few inches of your hair, then maybe dye it a fun color. Or leave it blond. Then, you'll be able to see exactly what the texture on the ends changes to, how the older lengths weather the treatment, and how they look after a few months. If you hate how the ends feel after doing this, you only lose a few inches, but you'll be able to experience what your hair feels like bleached as a daily thing, and how it takes that sort of treatment.

ETA: I meant to say earlier, the reason I suggest this over highlighting is that, if it totally chews up your hair, at least you won't have splitty, broken sections to grow out.

Lianna
October 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think most troublesome is the bleached highlights, which is very harsh, even though it's just some strands, and most often has a very evident striped look that doesn't look very natural. It's possible to tell where are the roots anyway, I'm only saying this because there's some many people who think we can't.:rolleyes:

Highlights with dye is a bit better and it's possible to have more control over the color. For me, I don't like highlights, since I dye it myself, and to separate strands is just too annoying, I could never match the old with the new, and I don't think some salons do it too. That said I prefer all over tint, at home or at a salon. I think it looks more natural.

At the moment, I'm using a level 7 dye, which isn't too harsh for me, I have a lot of fine and some medium strands. Start color was light ash brown.(album not updated yet :D)

I agree with the person who said about start with some strands at the front, but don't bleach it.

PS. When I say dye I meant the whole thing, developer included.

princessp
October 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with bleaching a few strands in the front. Or maybe buy some blonde extensions and see if you like that color near your face. Your hair is gorgeous, I would hate to see what bleach would do to those lovely locks. But I also understand wanting a change every now and then. This is entirely up to you.

Toadstool
October 25th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I would definitely check what you look like blonde first. Whenever I've gone blonde it's really reddened up my pale skin tone in a way I dislike.

Flaxen
October 25th, 2010, 03:24 PM
We have a member (hasn't posted for ages, though) who grew her hair to tailbone and only processed her new growth. She had gorgeous blond hair, and I believe her strands were fine. She didn't go platinum, but it was pretty light. Of course she did this all along as she grew, so she never had to color (lighten) her whole head of hair. There's one success story. :smile:

I, on the other hand, couldn't do it. My strands are so fine I can barely feel one between my fingers. When I found the boards, I was using Clairol Ultress Champagne about two times a year to brighten my color. I was also using 'cones. My hair was breaking as fast as it grew, and I had been stuck at midback length for twelve years.

So, I guess the questions are, "How fine" and "How light?" I agree that highlights and lowlights (or just highlights) would be best. They will also make the new growth a little less noticeable. You won't get that, "Your roots need doing!" look quite so bad. :lol:

Go for it if you want to, but make sure it's because you really want blond hair on you. I know the girl shop's hair was gorgeous, but that was her hair. Your hair looks gorgeous to me the way it is, so be certain it's not just a case of wanting something you don't have. :flower:

Qwackie
October 25th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm not bleach blonde, but I am bleached light brown, but only in my bangs. When I did it, I bleached, left the peroxide in overnight, CO'd the following morning, and then got the splits cut off, them when I got home, washed it was shampoo and conditioner, and then oiled my ends. Worked out fine, no splits. My hair's naturally very dark brown and is often mistaken for black.

MissManda
October 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
We have a member (hasn't posted for ages, though) who grew her hair to tailbone and only processed her new growth. She had gorgeous blond hair, and I believe her strands were fine. She didn't go platinum, but it was pretty light. Of course she did this all along as she grew, so she never had to color (lighten) her whole head of hair. There's one success story. :smile:

I, on the other hand, couldn't do it. My strands are so fine I can barely feel one between my fingers. When I found the boards, I was using Clairol Ultress Champagne about two times a year to brighten my color. I was also using 'cones. My hair was breaking as fast as it grew, and I had been stuck at midback length for twelve years.

So, I guess the questions are, "How fine" and "How light?" I agree that highlights and lowlights (or just highlights) would be best. They will also make the new growth a little less noticeable. You won't get that, "Your roots need doing!" look quite so bad. :lol:

Go for it if you want to, but make sure it's because you really want blond hair on you. I know the girl shop's hair was gorgeous, but that was her hair. Your hair looks gorgeous to me the way it is, so be certain it's not just a case of wanting something you don't have. :flower:

Are you thinking of Avrilon? She dyes her hair from medium brown and silver to blonde and her hair is type F. She was one of my first hair idols when I first came to LHC. :)

I agree that you should start small first. :flower: That way, you'll have an idea of how it will affect your hair and whether you like it or not. It would be a real shame to have your beautiful hair accidentally ruined.

Dani
October 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Avrilon = Most Beautiful Blonde Hair Ever :D

Bam: http://wahsegavalleyfarm.typepad.com/wahsega_valley_farm/hair-routine.html

LouLaLa
October 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Avrilon = Most Beautiful Blonde Hair Ever :D

Bam: http://wahsegavalleyfarm.typepad.com/wahsega_valley_farm/hair-routine.html

Ooooh brilliant resource! Thanks!

I am so tempted to try it out now but for the sake of my ends I will try keep away from dye and just stay natural ash blonde (I went through a Debbie Harry blonde phase)

That website is beyond!

Demetrue
October 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Bleach (i.e. bleach powder plus 20-40 vol.peroxide developer and sometimes an accelerator) is not the same as Dye (a color mixed with 20 vol. developer). I have had minimal hair damage when using a blonde dye (a level 8-9 blonde) with a 20% vol. developer, but have had horrible damage using a bleaching/frosting kit (using the bleachng powder plus 40 vol. peroxide). So if I were you, I would try highlights, but using a blonde dye, not bleach as the highlighting medium. And I would start only 2 levels above your natural hair color, so neutral 8 blonde would be the starting point.

MsBubbles
October 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Great advice so far! I was just gonna say, looking at your hair color in your outdoor photos, I don't think you'd need to go many shades lighter than your natural color to get a significantly lighter effect, and I don't think you'd need to strip too many of your strands to achieve it. You wouldn't need to get heavy highlights in at all for it to look quite a lot lighter. It's a good idea though to play with wigs/extensions to see what shades to go for though, i.e. ashy or golden.

I think I'd mostly worry to whom you were going to entrust your hard-earned lovely locks! It's hard to find a talented colorist that you know isn't going to mess it up.

Flaxen
October 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Are you thinking of Avrilon? She dyes her hair from medium brown and silver to blonde and her hair is type F. She was one of my first hair idols when I first came to LHC. :)
No, actually it was Martine. Avrilon's another good example, though! :grin:

Angeletti
October 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I have fine hair and many years ago when I was younger I completely bleached my hair blonde when it was around waist length, it was super damaging and I remember I had chunks break off. Everyone's hair is different though and yours might not do the same, but good luck with whatever you choose.

Kathie
October 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
It is possible- but you’ll need to give your hair lots of love. It will look and feel different.

My number one bit of advice is don’t do it yourself and don’t let an untrained friend loose on your hair either- get a professional to do it.

Book in for consultations and discuss what you want done and how you feel about your hair i.e., that you love it and want to keep it as healthy as possible (glare at them in the eyes while you say this lol- just jokes... but not really). Ask them to show you results that they would expect to get with your hair length color etc. Don’t get it done on the spot after the consultation go away think about it, think about what the hairdresser/colorist said. Do you trust them did they seem to understand what you want?

I also agree just a few foils around the face and along your part will do the trick. If you like the lighter look you can always add more foils.

Its a big choice to make and not to be taken lightly. Good luck!!

Also check out this thread...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47956

juliaxena
October 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I can understand the urge to be blonde - well, dark blonde at the moment anyway. But you have really really really beautiful hair. Are you sure you don't want your natural color? It looks so warm and glossy.

Anyway, I have dyed lenght, it's a dye with 10 volume peroxide and it works well enough on my fine hair. It gets pretty light but due to my natural pygments, it's pretty golden. I'm toning it with ash blonde temporary color at the moment because I'm experimenting how my natural hair looks. Because I haaven't seen it in over 10 years. I'd do anything for it to be dark blonde, but I don't think that will be the case. Why this experiment? Like others have said, dyed hair is a lot of work. Not just touching up the roots, you need to really pamper it. I do one 5-6 hour deep treatment during weekend and during week, when I was my hair, I leave my conditioner on for 2 hours at least. Warming up towels I wrap it in in the mean time to change them often. So yes, it is a lot of work.

BUT my hair is only shoulder lenght. So I'm not sure if I'm of any help.

Phalaenopsis
October 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
If you'll be crying and miserable if the bleach damages your hair, then probably best to get a blonde wig and pull that out when you want to be platinum for a while.

If you can really, truly say--eh, it's hair, I grew it once and I can do it again--then go for it! You only live once, and you might as well have fun while you're here.

I think I'm more of the first, but I want to be more like the last? As in, meh, I'm young, it can all grow back. But yet again, I'm more of the first...

It depends on the degree of blondery and the amount of work you're willing to put into it. Will your blonde be possible at home, or will it be a salon visit? Budget is a lot of think hairdyers neglect to think about - sure it was affordable to get it, but is it affordable to keep it?

Ugh, I didn't even consider that, thank you for reminding me. I wouldn't be doing it at home, but at the hairdressers so it would cost me quite some money

Have you thought about honey lightening...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

It is a more natural and less damaging way to lighten. If you really have your heart set on blonde. It may take a few treatments but I'm sure you can lighten your hair up a few shades!

Yes, I tried that. My hair always gets a bit more of a golden glow after a honey treatment, but the next wash it's gone...

Now, some things to look out for:
- Roots. Yes, especially when you go blonde, they're evil. I needed to touch them up every 3 weeks and let me tell you, it gets tedious. When doing touchups, just do the roots and nothing more. I made the mistake of slapping packages on the roots and length of my hair and I paid the price by having to cut off a lot. Unlike boxed dark colours, blonde doesn't fade fast at all.

Hmm, I don't think I want to do my roots every 3 weeks :o That's a lot!

Phalaenopsis
October 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM
PS - you could wait until it goes white/silver, then tone it to blonde. It would be a long wait for you, though.

I already planned that :D From the minute I'm completely white/silver, I'm going blonde baby :cool:

Here's a weird idea:

Have you seen the folks who color just the bottom few inches of their hair a wild color? If you like that look, this might work.

Why don't you bleach just the bottom few inches of your hair, then maybe dye it a fun color. Or leave it blond. Then, you'll be able to see exactly what the texture on the ends changes to, how the older lengths weather the treatment, and how they look after a few months. If you hate how the ends feel after doing this, you only lose a few inches, but you'll be able to experience what your hair feels like bleached as a daily thing, and how it takes that sort of treatment.

This is actually a really cool idea! I might do this!

I would definitely check what you look like blonde first. Whenever I've gone blonde it's really reddened up my pale skin tone in a way I dislike.

Thank you for warning me! Didn't know that could happen.

Maybe you're right. I read all the 'don't do its' and I thought, yes, maybe I shouldn't, it's really damaging after all and my hair is fragile. And then I see that picture of Avrilon and BAM, I want, I want, I want...

Phalaenopsis
October 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Great advice so far! I was just gonna say, looking at your hair color in your outdoor photos, I don't think you'd need to go many shades lighter than your natural color to get a significantly lighter effect, and I don't think you'd need to strip too many of your strands to achieve it. You wouldn't need to get heavy highlights in at all for it to look quite a lot lighter. It's a good idea though to play with wigs/extensions to see what shades to go for though, i.e. ashy or golden.

I think I'd mostly worry to whom you were going to entrust your hard-earned lovely locks! It's hard to find a talented colorist that you know isn't going to mess it up.

Yes, my hair looks quite brown in my avatar and siggy when actually it's lighter in real life :) And indeed, who am I going to trust? I go to the same hairdresserfor quite a while and she was trustworthy, until the last time. She cut too much off and didn't really listen. So I don't know anymore.

To give people an idea of the colour, well, it changes in every lighting, it can look really ashy or really warm... Some older pics:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/watervalgezichtweggedaan.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0453-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0541-1.jpg

spidermom
October 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM
The way the color changes in different lights is SO pretty.

LouLaLa
October 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM
The way the color changes in different lights is SO pretty.

It really is and sadly the dye means you lose this natural luminosity.

Your hair is actually quite fair as it is! Very pretty :)

FullMoonTrim
October 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM
My hair is similar and very fragile when it's bleached. If you do bleach it try using coconut oil regularly to add strength. Also, bleach might not give you the right shade for your look. Maybe a 10n (which is the lightest blond) or 9n. Make sure you go to a stylist so that they can use toner to get rid of any residual brassiness.
Good luck!!

xoxophelia
October 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Perhaps do a consultation with the stylist. It might be possible for them to bleach a section of you hair on the bottom and then you will be able to see the type of condition your hair is left in.

Also think about what you will do when you no longer want to be blonde, or if that will happen.

Lianna
October 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Your hair is so pretty from these new photos! You don't need to dye it. :p

Mine changes a lot due to light aswell, natural or dyed. I dyed because it was so ashy and blah indoors, and I'm most often indoors!

Chiara
October 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have fine hair which is dark blonde (its like light mouse with a golden tinge!). I get highlights (through my bangs and around a central part) every 4 months or so (the regrowth is not that noticeable). It does take away shine, and that hair gets significantly more tangled and difficult if not treated well. In the past (pre-LHC) it became impossible and very damaged!

So, I'm now considering just getting some highlights in my bangs (which are kept much shorter, thus don't get damaged) OR getting no more highlights. I don't have the time for too much hair upkeep, and I know that will be required if I want APL or longer hair... So, consider how much time you have to baby your hair- if you can do it, I think its possible to keep it in OK condition. The other problem is, I find, with fine hair, that you have to be really careful with things like oiling, as they can easily lead to lank or stringy hair.

I think the other thing to consider is what will you do if you don't like it? You'll have to dye your hair, possibly on many occasions, until the blonde grows out.