PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ever Paranoid Your Hair Will Stop Growing Past a Certain Point?

JulietCapulet
October 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hi, I am recently paranoid that my hair won't grow till my goal length...I worry about it! Do you feel this way as well?

Gem
October 25th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Not paranoid, really - I know it will stop at some point. I hope it will get to tailbone, and I would like to try for classic, but I'm fairly happy with the length now so I'm not too worried about it.
When it would not grow past APL for years, then yes - I was very concerned until I figured out my hair just needed a gentle routine.

Marjolein
October 25th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Big sigh, YES!! Very very afraid. Because my hairgrowth is so ridiculously slow, I'm afraid my hairs will be at the end of their life before I reach even midback. But time will tell, right?

KittyLost
October 25th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I've never had my hair past BSL so I am also worried that I'll never reach my goal of tailbone. But only time will tell! Thanks to the advice here I know how to grow and take care of happy healthy hair which should be all you need to grow your hair to your goal length :)

aisling
October 25th, 2010, 03:37 AM
No, not at all as my hair is as long as I like it to be right now and I'm trimming regularly to maintain this length. Obviously my hair can grow longer than this.

Venefica
October 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I am not worried, I am not really sure how long I want my hair, as long as it get's while still looking good and I still being able to manage it I guess. However I am rather happy with almost to my butt as I have now. Though I do want it to grow longer than that.

Jezerellica
October 25th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I sure am. I never used to be, but time will tell. I'll just do what I need to do and see what happens. My longer ends are thin. I prefer a straight thick hemline, so I think it will take longer than I expected.

Quahatundightu
October 25th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't say I'm paranoid, but I feel that for me it is an unfortunate inevitability. I'm not even sure I'll really make it to Tailbone! I am so close, but whether my hair can ever have thick ends there.... my hair is just thin, breaks easily and grows slowly. That combination is not so conducive to super long hair!

BelleBot
October 25th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I am a little bit. Despite always having long hair, my hair actually grows very slowly, much slower than average. The longest it's ever been is mid butt, close to classic, but not longer. I was very ill at the time so wasn't really paying attention to my hair so I'm not sure if it could have gotten any longer. But now I'm reaching that length again and I'm worried it'll stop around there especially as there is a lot of taper to my hair. But then again I'm not sure if that's natural taper or because I'm still growing out damned layers. :rolleyes:
If it thickened up at the bottom a little more I'd have a bit more hope.

constantki
October 25th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I am paranoid about my hair not reaching classic length :(
Would anyone happen to know if there is some sort of correlation between the terminal length of the hair on your head and the terminal length of the hair on your arms/eyelashes? For example, if you have long eyelashes could that mean that your terminal length is longer on your head as well?

Feng-Shui
October 25th, 2010, 06:14 AM
No I is not paranoid.

My hair is longer than I it ever hoped.

I is very contently with the length now already.

My final goal is knee length with braid waves and it is not more a long way.

If my hair will not reach this length am I nevertheless contently with the length which I up to now got.

I enjoys the journey and if the journey is to end then is it okay for me.:)

missmelaniem
October 25th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I'm not paranoid but I am pretty sure waist length is as long as it will grow and still look healthy.

Carolyn
October 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
No. I've reached tailbone before and that's my current goal. I have no desire to grow longer than that and see where it stops.

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I was a bit, because I wanted at least tailbone. Now that I'm there, additional lengths would be wonderful, but they're a bonus. I may not be able to get fingertip or knee, but I'm OK with that.

Luckily, waist and tailbone are achievable by most people.

enfys
October 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Not really. I have been close to fingertip before with thick ends and if I shoot for knee it will just be a bonus of I can make it.

I'm wondering now if there could be a correlation between our scalp and other terminals. My eyebrows and forearms are quite unique in their terminal lengths...

TrudieCat
October 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'm paranoid about a lot lot lot of things, but not this. :D My hair growing journey has, so far, been about accepting the things I can't change about my hair and learning to work with those things (and maybe even to learn to love them! :p).

TinaDenali
October 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM
In all my years of growing, I've never been worried it won't get to my goal length. I'm almost at my goal (TBL) and I honestly think my hair could grow well beyond that point.

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I was at shorter lengths, but when my hair reached hip length, I had a satisfied feeling that "this is long enough". I still have an inch or 2 to reach my goal of classic length, and I'm sure it's going to happen.

I'm actually looking forward to cutting back to a shorter length now.

ddiana1979
October 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm paranoid, but probably without cause. My hair was WL in high school with no taper, so even though I'm 31 years old now, I should reasonably expect to get back to at least WL, especially since I didn't do anything special to it back then. . . just S&C every other day. Right?!? Good grief, even just writing this makes me paranoid. If I get stuck at BS, I'm going to be very mad.

HintOfMint
October 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Oh yes. My mother said that her hair stopped growing around waist. Granted, it could have been breaking off from blowdrying/not conditioning, but still.
There's nothing to do except wait and hope for the best.

May
October 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
When it comes to growing hair I'm my own worst enemy lol. If my hair stops growing it's because I cut it! The longest I've had my hair is waist but I'm pretty sure it would grow to the floor if I let it. i just need to work on my patience. Good things come to those who wait. So true. :pegasus:

LouLaLa
October 25th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I did when I dyed it, but now i leave my hair alone im not as fussed. I worry about it thinning, im noticing it thinning due to stress atm which is most annoying now I treat it right. As much as I love my hair, its just hair so I try not to get too uptight and just enjoy what I do have.

purple_figtree
October 25th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Yes, constantly, I think it's partially a 'watched pot never boils' effect. Since I joined LHC, I have been paying a lot more attention to my hair; if I look at it every day, of course it seems like it isn't growing.

Plus the desert air really dries my hair out, nutrition isn't very good here, and I don't have much access to any of the things my hair needs, so I'm always worrying it will just break and fall off. I think I could use some benign neglect

Angelica
October 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yes I am pretty paranoid. I am almost positive that my hair can't grow very long. When I think how few trims I've had since joining this board, I realise how slow my hair is actually growing. The only thing which has improved is that my hair is no longer static. It is so ultra fine and I don't even know if it would look great if it managed to get to an exciting length.

FrannyG
October 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Actually, I'm not paranoid about it at all. My ultimate goal has always been tail bone, but I've also always had my doubts as to whether or not my hair will grow that long without having really thin and unappealing ends. I'll be happy to reach waist length and maintain the ends for a while to thicken them up, (I know my hair can grow that long--I did it a couple of years ago). If it won't grow much longer than that and still look good, I can live with it.

If I can make my goal, that will be awesome. I'm good either way.

daydreamer
October 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm a little afraid too -- it feels like I've been at waist FOREVER... but that's mostly because I've maintained it there to get rid of damage. Still, it's been months and months since my last trim and I'm still here at waist. I need to forget about it or something!

Exoducy
October 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I am a little bit. Despite always having long hair, my hair actually grows very slowly, much slower than average. The longest it's ever been is mid butt, close to classic, but not longer. I was very ill at the time so wasn't really paying attention to my hair so I'm not sure if it could have gotten any longer. But now I'm reaching that length again and I'm worried it'll stop around there especially as there is a lot of taper to my hair. But then again I'm not sure if that's natural taper or because I'm still growing out damned layers. :rolleyes:
If it thickened up at the bottom a little more I'd have a bit more hope.

Hi! Sorry if this is random, but your hair colour is AMAZING.
Are you using henna?

Spike
October 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hmm . . . worry implies that I could or should do something about it.

I'm taking good care of my hair. I've had it down around TBL before, with no care. But I can't actively DO anything about the fact that follicles do not produce forever. They've got to take a break every so often.

Would I love to have hair so long that I could do a bun drop and hear it thump when it hit the floor? Sure, in my hair fantasies. But long is long, past a certain point. I don't think that I'll be disappointed if I can't get knee-length hair, so long as I have enough to FEEL pretty.

arwenevenstar37
October 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
i am a little worried about it because it seems like my hair has been at bsl forever!!! I just joined a month ago though and thanks to the new things i have been learning on LHC i hope it will soon start growing more...also the guy who used to trim my hair said that he was trimming to maintain the lenght (even though i had specified that i wanted it to grow to waist...) so i am hoping that avoiding hima dn learning how to trim my own hair in a bout a year will help too....how do you know when your hair is at terminal?

PrincessBob
October 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
The more I pay attention, the more I seem to shed.

jojo
October 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I am not paranoid about not reaching classic length (my dream length!) but it does cross my mind that I may not reach it. Probably this is because waist is the longest my hair has ever been, but I am enjoying the length I am at and once I have (if) reached classic I shall probably trim back to hip or waist......just enjoying the moment!

ddiana1979
October 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
OMG! I can't even read this thread anymore. It's making me anxious! :justy:

LaurelSpring
October 25th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Yes, I really want to at least make classic.

JulietCapulet
October 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
How will I know if it will grow to my waist?

haibane
October 25th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Good lord yes. But my ultimate goal length is not very realistic, so... I'd like to reach ankle or floor, but I'm already really surprised for every inch I gain. I just keep expecting to find out I'm at term already. If I can reach classic that'd be amazing, and anything beyond that, I barely dare to hope for. :p

Madora
October 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Since it's all up to my genes, I've just let nature take its course and hoped for the best. The longest my hair was (20 years ago) was 47 inches. I'd like to be able to reach that goal again and with any luck, hope to achieve it in another 3 years or so.

Roseate
October 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
How will I know if it will grow to my waist?

Most people have a terminal length of at least waist with good care, so you are probably safe.

As you approach your terminal length, your ends will start to "fairytale" and you will see a noticeable taper in thickness at the ends. People do have natural stalls in growth, but if you have a lot of taper and haven't seen any growth in 6 months or more, you may be at terminal. People also get false terminal sometimes due to stress, illness or breakage, but in that case the hair will grow again after the issues are resolved.

Since my current goal is shorter than my hair was before I cut it off, I don't have to worry!

EbonyCurls
October 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM
My hair seems to grow so slowly that I always convince myself there's something wrong with it. Then I pull one of the curls taut and am like "Oh....yeah. duh." If my hair stopped growing at waist I would be sad, but not devastated. I would like to reach my goal of tailbone curly, which could be classic straight, so I guess I could be happy if I had curly waist that reached tailbone straight. If all that makes any sense lol.

Bast
October 26th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Oh yes. I'm at the longest my hair has ever been - about an inch or so away from BSL. I'm just telling myself that hey, my hair grows really, really slowly...

JulietCapulet
October 30th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Yeah I feel like my hair is beginning to slow down about where it is right now. BSL.

Anlbe
October 31st, 2010, 12:36 AM
Yes.

Not precisely paranoid but now pretty certain I'm never going to make it to waist.

I've been growing my hair since I was eleven and its never got much past BSL. But despite the realities I refuse to give up and am clinging to my delusional dream of waist (well actually elbow length to be more precise) length hair

christine1989
October 31st, 2010, 01:06 AM
I am not too worried since my hair has grown long before. I am however worried about how it will look when it finally gets there. I don't want a ton of fairytale ends and I am already unhappy that my ends look faded and are a different color than the roots.

Arctic_Mama
October 31st, 2010, 02:05 AM
I get a little paranoid about this, because I really really want my goal length hair, but honestly if I make it to classic or fingertip I'd be pretty happy, even if I stopped short of knee. Sheds and thinning aside, my hair is still robust and healthy, growing well and almost to hip. Nobody in my family has had really long hair, except my cousins who grew to about the length I am at now, so I don't know how long my genes might let it be, but I am hopeful!

DARKMARTIAN
October 31st, 2010, 03:35 AM
No I am not paranoid about my hair having reached terminal length. Why you may ask? Well its because I believe that ive now come to actually accept that fact ....thereby preventing the need to be paranoid about it any further....:o

Valdeon
October 31st, 2010, 03:48 AM
I've never had my hair past BSL so I am also worried that I'll never reach my goal of tailbone.
Same here. Never had hair longer then BSL. And BSL on me is the worst length ever :pins:
So I hope to prove myself wrong. Grow, hair, grow! :cheese:

JulietCapulet
October 31st, 2010, 06:26 AM
Same here. Never had hair longer then BSL. And BSL on me is the worst length ever :pins:
So I hope to prove myself wrong. Grow, hair, grow! :cheese:

I don't think BSL an be bad on anyone. I'm sure it's nice.

Astarte_1980
October 31st, 2010, 06:29 AM
Yes I am also worrying that I do not reach my hair goal.

Valdeon
October 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
I don't think BSL an be bad on anyone. I'm sure it's nice.

I've been stuck at this letgth for eternity (and I mean it), so I learned to really hate it. I just want something different, preferebly longer than BSL :D

Niwa
October 31st, 2010, 07:52 AM
I prefer a straight thick hemline, so I think it will take longer than I expected.

Same here. My hair grew to hip length despite cuts along the way, so that suggests it would grow longer, if I let it grow without cutting or trimming. I see cutting and trimming happening for the next year, however, because my ends are a bit damaged and I want blunt, thick ends. Once I have the ends I want, I will not damage them again and then will be able to find out just how far my hair can get.

DuckyDot
October 31st, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm a bit scared because when I had long hair is was waist then it went back to BSL because of breakage and my ends were ORANGE! Orange ends and my hair is mid-brown! So Yes I am scared that I will never get back to Waist!

mira-chan
October 31st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Yes becuase it did stop growing for now. I may get past this in a future but so far my hair has not budged from a little past classic in two years. If had ends that were at least a bit thicker I'd be more content at this. As is, with the sheds they are invisible. I hope it's just a stall but if not, oh well.

LadyJennifer
October 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM
I am! I used to have hip-length hair that never seemed to grow longer than that. Now, I wasn't taking very good care of it (didn't know what cones or sulfates were, which my hair hates), didn't pay much attention to it, and trimmed too much too often; but still I wonder if it can get any longer than that.

littlenvy
October 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm not worried about it stop growing... I'm VERY worried about it not looking good long :(

EleanorRigby
October 31st, 2010, 08:58 PM
YEEEEEEEEEES always im getting paranoid about it, anyone on my family as really long hair, and my mom says "i dont know if you have genetic to got long hair" and i get really scared, i wish i could growth my hair at least at tailbone

bte
November 1st, 2010, 03:33 AM
I think a lot of people aren't able to achieve the hair they want - either because their terminal length is less than their goal (that applies in my case), or because even if they can achieve the length they can't achieve the quality.

It's not easy to feel that one can't achieve a goal, but over time, it's something that one can get used to, and set new goals which are more realistic. sometimes, it's possible to achieve somrhing much closer to one's original goal than one expects by concentrating on taking care of one's hair - you'll find lots of threads from people who have managed to achieve much greater length than they ever had before.

Above all, don't despair - giving up and being anxious aren't good ingredients for growing long or healthily.