PDA

View Full Version : The measuring tape obsession...

Accolady
March 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Alright, all of you, stand in line for a whoopin! :D

For years I didn't even know where my tape measure was, other
than for sewing and crafts. I could have cared less. And now
look what you have me doing! :p

I'm obsessed with the measuring tape. For a few weeks now, in
the process of getting back on the long hair bandwagon, I take my
bun out, figure how long until classic, how long until hip, how long until
thigh, etc.

I've even cut a stick the length of hair I just cut off. Every couple of
nights I hold the stick up to the ends of my hair as though it were magically
back.

Sigh. What have you all done to me? :)

Karen Marie

Wanita
March 11th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hee-hee. :D We're a bad influence.

On a serious note: remember life before you found LHC? You didn't obsess over every inch, probably never heard of a comparison of hair to antique lace, yet you grew more hair than the rest of us with all our wishing hard and special handling. You never let your hair dictate your lifestyle. In other words, you were pretty well relaxed about hair growing. And grow it did.

So no worries - pretty soon the obsession with the measuring tape will wane, and you'll be 'normal' again. ;)

AJoifulNoise
March 11th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I set a day every month to measure and don't touch the measuring tape until then. This has really helped me. The only time I get the itch to measure is the week of measuring day.

Accolady
March 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Aww, Wanita, you are too sweet, thanks!

Before LHC, for me there was TLHS. Ah, remember when. Lady Grace,
Lady Godiva, all the long haired friends in other countries.
Sigh.

KM

DMARTINEZ
March 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Accolady! The others are right, it should die down after a few months. Until then
be prepared to wear your tape around your neck. ;)

Deb

jessie58
March 11th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Accolady you are so funny, I am no longer measuring tape obsessed thank goodness.

sweetkandi
March 11th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I use to be obsessed like crazy when my hair was long! But now, im guessing its all gonna come back to me lol.

Lasiren
March 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I used to be pretty crazy about measuring. (Did it grow today?! Did it? Did it?)
Lately I've been wearing my hair up every day (this has been going on since December, when I decided to see how far I could stretch the 'wear hair up for a month' challenge) so that keeps me PRETTY under control about obsessing. I've decided only to measure every couple months or so. Maybe wearing your hair up will calm you a little bit as well?

nastasska
March 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I've got it too:o I've been measuring every week lately to see if all the growth promoting things I'm doing are working

eadwine
March 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I used to be as bad as well, until I got the same reading too many times and got down every time because of it. Since then I have knocked it off, and measure about every quarter or so. I let myself be measured by someone from the Dutch long hair forum.

kate46
March 12th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I only measure every couple of hours now :crazyq:perhaps we should start a 'hair measurers anonymous' social group ;).

FrannyG
March 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Accolady, your post made me laugh, because I recognized myself in it. I remember when I first consciously began growing my hair out, I mapped out every part of my body in inches so I would know exactly when I'd hit each mini-goal. That list is now out the window, and I even almost forget my monthly measure in.

I guess for you having such long hair before, the measuring tape didn't have any use. Just get used to it for a while, and this phase too, shall pass.

I just hope that you come to enjoy your new journey. We're all here right beside you. :flowers:

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM
uhhh, ive been here nearly a year and i'm still obsessed!
I never measure, takes too much effort. Ive measured 4 times so far!

harley mama
March 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I confess, I am a measuring tape junkie! I weaned off for a while and then became obsessed again due to health issues. I try to measure only once a month since my hair is growing so very slow right now. And, I dare not measure the circumference of my ponytail. It would make me cry! I have been shedding like mad.

enfys
March 12th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I would like to say I don't measure so much as I used to a few years ago. But then every month or so I sttick a ruler into my roots to see how they are doing and take a dated photo everytime I re-dye them so I can see how long each 1/4inch takes.

I find I'm not measuring length, but growth.

UrbanEast
March 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I'm maintaining so I don't really measure. I'm sure I would have been obsessive about it had I found LHC during my growing out phase.

Shell
March 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I only measure every couple of hours now :crazyq:perhaps we should start a 'hair measurers anonymous' social group ;).

I'm a member! I got depressed about measuring during a hair stall, and quit cold turkey. Now, I just don't measure. However, I can approximate my length because I've been at this length before I did a large trim last year. That gets me by without obsessing over 1/8 inches!

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not going to measure for a good long while, if ever again. I recently cut off some long, splitty straggles, the longest 4 inches, the shortest 1/2 inch, then did a Feye U-shape trim method to even it out. I think about 2 inches came off during that process, hopefully from the places where I only snipped 1/2 inch initially. ANYWAY .... get to the point Spidey ..... I don't want to see how much my measurement has changed. The ends look so much better to me that I really don't need to translate the cut into terms of "I just lost X months/years of growth." And if I measure, that is exactly what my brain will do.

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i never even thought of measuring my hair until i joined LHC and I was obsessive at first. Now i just measure every month, still a tad obsessive!

Accolady
March 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe wearing your hair up will calm you a little bit as well?

LOL. That is actually how I ended up with long hair in the first place.
If there is one thing I do well, it's bun. Daily. Always. In fact, a bit
too much. I'm already finding that since I ran right back to the bun, I'll
be safe from the tape. I'm even trying not to take the bun out until I
am in bed, ready for the pillow.

:)

Cichelle
March 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM
When I first came here I was measuring every month. With curly hair, it's kind of difficult to get consistent measurements with shrinkage and such. It drove me a little crazy, so I gave it up and haven't looked back. I just go by where my hair is on my body right now. I might measure in the summer, just for fun. ;)

jackiesjottings
November 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I was the same for a long time! In the end I also made myself a hair growth chart which I still have, as I often refused to believe my tape measure. Funnily enough now I am so close to my target length of 40" I don't measure as often.

lilasianvixen77
June 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Since I joined, I leave my tape measure near by so I always know where it is

Mrspuddinhead
June 28th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I set a day every month to measure and don't touch the measuring tape until then. This has really helped me. The only time I get the itch to measure is the week of measuring day.

You sound like me. I measure and take a picture the 29th of every month. I get anxious.From the pictures I can tell a difference in growth from when I 1st joined in April.