PDA

View Full Version : What Is Stringy Hair

Dragon
October 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
What is stringy hair? I dont know what it means.

MissManda
October 25th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Stringy hair is when the hair tends to clump together into pieces and well... looks like string. Hair that has been heavily oiled behaves in this way. I hope that makes sense.

Some hair types are more prone to stringiness whether oily or not. There isn't anything wrong with this and it doesn't mean the hair is unhealthy or anything, it's just the way those hair types are. :)

Marjolein
October 25th, 2010, 02:21 AM
What you as a strong wavey would call 'well defined waves/curls' looks horrible on me as a 1c. Because I have only a little wave I have 'well defined strings'. The hair clumps together, but it ain't pretty.

Sorry for the vague description, but it's the best way I know how to explain.

Hotrox
October 25th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I always think of stringy hair, as hair that hangs as if separate pieces of string, rather than as one unified curtain of hair.

cocolady
October 25th, 2010, 04:11 AM
My hair gets stringy if I don't wash it for two weeks lol. It forms strings of hair because of the oil.

misstwist
October 25th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I was just talking to YellowChariot about this.

For stringy hair see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6326&pictureid=86086).

Yes, I know it doesn't look stringy to most of you, but it has always looked that way to me. Fine, thin and whurly behaves that way on me. I have mostly reconciled myself to this.

I don't think this looks stringy on other people, just on me.

baaaad_kitty
October 25th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Clumpy greasy hair. Or not even greasy. Stringy, looking like string. Oh, lifeless stringy hair! Sorry, rambling.

heidihug
October 25th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I wish I didn't know what stringy hair was...[sigh] :)

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM
This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=105&pictureid=23175) is my hairtyping picture, when the hair is fully dry. My hair was freshly washed for this, so there's no oil (and the baby hairs, which like to curl a bit more, are going nuts close to my head!). See how the hair (particularly the ends) hang in little thin strings like it's still wet? That's a stringy hair feature. Hair that goes stringy easily does that sort of thing relatively fast after combing.

I think it's a texture thing. Fineys seem to complain about it a lot, and so do folks with just a little wave. More wave or curl, and you start trying to get hair that forms clumps where all the hairs together have the same pattern.

BeautifulBella
October 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
greasy, piecy, unwashed-looking....

jane53
October 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Greasy, lank hair that separates into string-like strands.

Centaur
October 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM

For stringy hair see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6326&pictureid=86086).

Yes, I know it doesn't look stringy to most of you, but it has always looked that way to me. Fine, thin and whurly behaves that way on me. I have mostly reconciled myself to this.

Well, then, I guess my hair is stringy a lot of the time. :hmm: :?

jane53
October 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I tend to think of stringy hair as straight. I don't think the posted photo shows stringy hair. But...to each her own!

soopahgrover
October 25th, 2010, 08:50 AM
My hair certainly gets stringy if I haven't washed it in a couple of days, but I never take a picture because it looks gross! LOL
Here's a good picture that I found on Flickr though. Apologies to whomever for stealing your pic. (She had it labeled as "Stringy hair" so I hope I'm not offending her! )

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2232111344_3d1cc7fe7b_m.jpg
See how it separates into clumps at the bottom? There are probably 100 clumps here, but it's still not a solid curtain of hair. I don't like it when my hair looks this way.

Dragon
October 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Thanks for all your replies :)

jojo
October 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
think of rats tails; thats how I would explain stringy hair.

FullMoonTrim
October 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
To me, stringy hair is thin, greasy, flat hair.

Crazycatlady
October 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Misstwist this hair is so pretty! I love it! :)

Happy Phantom
October 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
soopahgrover for me this doesn't look very stringy... I often saw pics here of hair that was forming what you call a solid courtain of hair, but I think IRL, more than a few minutes after combing, thats what la lot of peoples hair looks like. So I find it normal and not gross at all...

soopahgrover
October 26th, 2010, 10:44 AM
soopahgrover for me this doesn't look very stringy... I often saw pics here of hair that was forming what you call a solid courtain of hair, but I think IRL, more than a few minutes after combing, thats what la lot of peoples hair looks like. So I find it normal and not gross at all...

Hrm. Yeah, as with so many things, it's in the eye of the beholder, I guess. :)
I do think though that one gets more of the curtain effect when one cuts off the bottom few inches of damage.

Happy Phantom
October 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hm, okay. Now I know what you mean... I think we talked of two different things... You are definately right about the ends in your picture
So whatever, I didn't mean to offend you :)

mellie89
October 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I don't think of stringy hair as being greasy necessarily. To me, it's when hair clumps together and looks piece-y.

My hair is fine and it's very stringy. I can brush or comb it and 10 minutes later, it'll look stringy again. It's just how my hair is, and it behaves that way whether it is greasy or squeaky clean.

EbonyCurls
October 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
http://www.cuddlycollectibles.com/Raggedy%20Ann/Plush/AP16902RaggedyAnnClassic17.jpg

Nenwing
October 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Lol EbonyCurls!! :D

Yeah I think stringy hair is just when it separates into little clumps. My hair will get like this sometimes because it will clump and wave in different patterns, needless to say I hate it when it does so because it looks unkempt to me!

Angeletti
October 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Not all "stringy" hair is greasy or unwashed looking. I have stringy hair towards the ends due to have 1a/F hair but it never looks greasy or dirty... just wanted to throw that out there : )

TinaDenali
October 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
EbonyCurls!! Hah!! That made me laugh out loud :D

christine1989
October 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hair that clumps together in little peices and looks lifeless and greasy. Mine definatly clumps together but is dry and has plenty of volume so I don't really know if I can classify it as "stringy".

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Look at the right-hand side of my signature picture, starting about halfway down the length - see how it separates, and you can see my red shirt through the gaps? Stringy. Compare with the rest of my hair in that photo, which looks more like a solid sheet or curtain without gaps - not stringy (^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
October 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM
http://www.cuddlycollectibles.com/Raggedy%20Ann/Plush/AP16902RaggedyAnnClassic17.jpg

Hahahahaha!!! I literally LOL'd (^(oo)^)v

misstwist
October 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Misstwist this hair is so pretty! I love it! :)

You are very sweet to say so. :D

When I was younger I always thought my hair was a stringy mess and went to great lengths with a curling iron to achieve a smooth curtain of hair with the ends curled under.

Having embraced my whurlies, I'm less upset by the separation, but I often can't help seeing my hair through my teenage eyes.

That's why I gave it as an example of stringy hair.

rusika1
October 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Don't refer to someone's hair as 'stringy' unless you want to offend them.:D

'Stringy' is usually used to refer to hair which just sort of hangs there, separating into clumps. I think it's associated more with hair that is thin and straight (and probably fine, as well). Stringy hair doesn't really look clean, even when it is; and it doesn't really look combed or brushed, even when it is. I feel like truly stringy hair starts separating at the scalp--which is probably why so many people said it's greasy or oily.

When hair is following its natural wave patterns, causing the ends to fall into separate locks, I don't consider that to be stringy. And when the ends separate into little clumps because of layering, damage or not trimming, then its much nicer to refer to them as fairy tale ends.

I don't think any of the members who posted their own pictures really meet the criteria for 'stringy'. (Er, EbonyCurls? You weren't trying to tell us something with that picture, were you?;))