PDA

View Full Version : Can cutting in bangs/face framing fringe help hide hair loss?

iluvmy67cuda
October 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
As i've posted before, i am having fairly severe all over thinning of my hair and my scalp is showing badly. Here is a picture from a few months ago, its a little worse than that now :
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/MyhairlossSeptember122010onbirthcontrolpills.jpg

Could cutting in bangs and having them do layers help (im mean face framing layers, not layers cut into the length)? I was thinking if enough hair was up front like that, i could put a headband right behind it and cover it some (and use my Dermmatch too). At this point im willing to try anything. And i am looking for a new doctor to try to get medical help as well, but im trying to find something in the meanwhile to help hide it. Here's a few year old pics of my attempt at cutting bangs myself:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/dayaftercuttingfringe010.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/sadlastattemptatsidefringe004-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/sadlastattemptatsidefringe024.jpg

I was wondering if heavier, fuller thicker bangs would help. But i have oily skin, so that makes it harder too. I just want to camoflauge it all as much as i can. Do you think i'd look funny with bangs? I dont like stuff in my face, so i dunno, but im just throwing the idea out there to see what you guys think.

Btw, if i was to do this, i would go to a salon and have someone that knows what theyre doing do it this time, im sure that'd help. And also since my hair is wavy, i would heat treat the bangs, to try to make them behave, in those pics i did not use any kind of iron/curler to fix them, just air dry and combing.

phistash
October 25th, 2010, 07:05 AM
As i've posted before, i am having fairly severe all over thinning of my hair and my scalp is showing badly. Here is a picture from a few months ago, its a little worse than that now :
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/MyhairlossSeptember122010onbirthcontrolpills.jpg

Could cutting in bangs and having them do layers help (im mean face framing layers, not layers cut into the length)? I was thinking if enough hair was up front like that, i could put a headband right behind it and cover it some (and use my Dermmatch too). At this point im willing to try anything. And i am looking for a new doctor to try to get medical help as well, but im trying to find something in the meanwhile to help hide it. Here's a few year old pics of my attempt at cutting bangs myself:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/dayaftercuttingfringe010.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/sadlastattemptatsidefringe004-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/attempt%20at%20side%20fringe/sadlastattemptatsidefringe024.jpg

I was wondering if heavier, fuller thicker bangs would help. But i have oily skin, so that makes it harder too. I just want to camoflauge it all as much as i can. Do you think i'd look funny with bangs? I dont like stuff in my face, so i dunno, but im just throwing the idea out there to see what you guys think.

Btw, if i was to do this, i would go to a salon and have someone that knows what theyre doing do it this time, im sure that'd help. And also since my hair is wavy, i would heat treat the bangs, to try to make them behave, in those pics i did not use any kind of iron/curler to fix them, just air dry and combing.

I don't have overall thinning, but I have two bald spots that I've been trying to grow back in. I cut bangs about 1 and 1/2 years ago, and they did help hide things. I don't know how helpful that would be with overall thinning, although I think you look good with them, based on the picture you provided. The thing about bangs is, they detract a lot from your ponytail thickness. You will definitely notice this, and you may end up feeling like your hair is even thinner, even if it *looks* better.

blondecat
October 25th, 2010, 07:45 AM
When I got my face framing layers earlier this year, My braid is only 1/3 of what it used to be.

It also makes it much harder to do updos like a French twist.

But twin braids were a good stand by.

I don't know what to suggest for you. I like the idea of a fringe on you, but I do feel the 'face framing layers' will severly chop into your hair and leave you wanting to 'Undo'.

Unfortunaetly, once cut, one cannot 'Undo'

The Pic of me shows great fluffy thick hair, but, alas, once I had the FFL I went as thin as a chopstick

I have also sufffered great hairloss -due to being parents carrer, sigh. It's the stress that does me in.

I do hope you get some good results from your upcomming Doctors appointment.

Peace :)

Babyfine
October 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I recently had face framing layers cut in front and as was mentioned above, it very much cut into the volume of the rest of my fine/thin hair. With a thicker hair type it might not have been noticable. I had the same results as Blondecat.
I used to have straight across bangs a few years ago when my hair was only shoulder/APL and I think they may have made my hair look more voluminous/thicker in front, but they do take away from the rest of the hair.
I don't know what would happen if I had them now-probably them same thing as the face framing layers. Sorry I'm not more help!
I do think bangs/fringe can help with covering a weak hairline or thin spots in front, though, which was your question.

vanity_acefake
October 25th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I like you am thining but mine is at the front so i just got a short choppy fringe cut. It has hidden the thinning, not taken away much from the front and is a nice change from the longer fringe i had.
I would advise you to start with a fringe and see how it looks. Then add the face framing layers if you feel it is not enough. The good thing about a choppy fringe is that you can add a little hair putty and mess it up a little which seems to make it look a bit thicker.
I send you lots of hugs as thining hair is a nightmare. Xxx

TinaDenali
October 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I looked at your pictures and I think the fringe looks nice. However, I'd suggest doing it much thinner than you'd previously done. It looks like the fringe eats into your length a lot and I think that would work against you. If I were you, I'd do a simple fringe/FFL that went back 1/3-1/2 inch at the most. Otherwise, I think you'll be thinning out your length even more.

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have no experience with hair thinning, but from what I've heard and observed, I'd say no - bangs and face-framing fringe won't help. Your hair will look thinner.

I've heard that the best way to make your hair look thicker is to keep it at a fairly short blunt cut, bleach it, then dye it, which will roughen up the cuticle and make your hair appear fuller. A perm will do this, too. It doesn't sound worth it to me. If you already have issues, you don't want to add to them by putting strong chemicals on your scalp.

You could keep it at the shortest blunt cut length that you can stand and blow-dry upside down on warm and cool using a volumizing product (like mousse). Then throw hair back and fingercomb into place.

Maverick494
October 25th, 2010, 10:10 AM
There is an easy way to experiment with no consequences. I just stumbled across this site:

http://www.hairtrade.com/product_info.php/products_id/1339
It sells clip in fringe made of human hair. There are several, so you can pick a style. There are many shades so it's easy to have it look natural. Or just google "clip in fringe" and you're bound to find something that suits your needs

My mom uses them (she has thin hair from medication) and they look real good! Plus you're not stuck if you don't want bangs for one day. My mom orders them from our hairdresser, so look into that and see if it's an option if you want to try first.

Deborah
October 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
No, they will make the volume of your hair thinner yet,

iluvmy67cuda
October 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think im gonna go ahead and buy one of those clip on bangs and just play around with them (at home) and see how i feel about it. because your right, once you cut theres no going back. Its just a crappy situation overall. I cant believe a long time ago i was complaining about how thick my hair was!!!!! omfg.

TinaDenali
October 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I think im gonna go ahead and buy one of those clip on bangs and just play around with them (at home) and see how i feel about it. because your right, once you cut theres no going back. Its just a crappy situation overall. I cant believe a long time ago i was complaining about how thick my hair was!!!!! omfg.

Well, do post pictures! I'm sure it will look fantastic on you!

Keep your chin up. :)

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Well, you look nice with fringe in the past, but I'm not sure it'll help hide the hairloss. One possible problem is that it looks like you might have Ludwig pattern hairloss going on, where the hairline is what stays most intact. If that's the case, cutting fringe might take away more of the hair that's otherwise covering your scalp.

Do you have a diagnosis for what's going on? So often, thinning like this is indicative of other medical problems (hypothyroid, anemia, PCOS to name a few), so it's worth investigating thoroughly.

share801
October 26th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Just reading this I wondered if you had tried thick headbands to cover some of your scalp and sort of bunch the rest of the hair together?

Deborah
October 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The clip-on bangs should give you an idea of how you look in bangs, but it will not show you how you will look once you cut bangs. The clip-ons will not thin the bulk of your hair, while the real bangs will.

Mutinous
October 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I think layers may help to disguise the thinning spots on the scalp I suppose, but your overall hair will look thinner, especially towards the ends (obviously). I'm not sure if it would be worth it. A blunt hemline will make your hair look thicker.

Maybe start washing your hair more often? Not to insinuate your hair is dirty of course, its just that hair will always clump together with the tiniest bit of sebum so that may combat that a bit. Maybe wear hats more as well?

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide to do :)

Happy Phantom
October 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I also think that fringes won't make it better. But I think layers could help hiding the scalp shining through on the top...

BrightEyes7
October 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't. I think that bangs/fringe would just take bulk out of your already thinning hair. Same thing with layers.

I have been hearing on the radio information about Ovation cell therapy. I've never tried it personally and I don't know the results or pricing details. But it is supposed to help you grow more hair. I don't know how much you a really willing to spend on your hair, I assume it may be quite pricey. I don't know... maybe check it out.

Here is the website store... http://www.ovationhair.com/OvationStore.asp?ac=lk&cat=2

**Mods- remove link if not allowed, wasn't sure if it is**

iluvmy67cuda
October 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well i have PCOS, hypothyroidism, polycystic kidney disease, severe anxiety/agoraphobia, high blood pressure, obesity, acid relfux, depression, sinusitis and off and on aneimia. So theres alot going on. The more i read your guys posts i think bangs wont help, but maybe i could get some clip on ones, use a wide headband, and kinda cover it thatway and not cut my hair. I've tried bandanas, and i love them, but i cant get them to stay on my head. Maybe my head is the wrong shape? LOL but they always fall off. I will order a few headbands and try that out. I just wish i could fix the problem and possibly grow it back, im going to find a good dr. I think its androgenic alopecia, but thats my own diagnois of what i think from it all. We'll see what the dr.s say.

Girls, just remember when you have a bad hair day it could be worse!! At least you have hair. I can't believe how much i use to complain about my hair, man, i miss it so much!

Tangles
October 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I would get some very carefully cut layers into your crown and keep the rest of your hair as short as you can stand it. You need the thickness at the top right now, not at the ends. I think that slightly thinner ends will be a worthwhile price to pay for this effect.

No bangs.

Anje
October 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Well, the hypothyroid and PCOS are both known for hairloss. I would tend to blame one or both of those. The pattern of hairloss in your pictures doesn't look like androgenic alopecia to me.

I hope you can deal with the agoraphobia enough to find a doctor to get everything sorted out. It's a tough cluster of health issues, I'm sure.

:grouphug:

In the meantime, FWIW, bandanas like to slip off my head too, unless I put them low (near my forehead). I know a lot of folks put bobby pins or snap clips on the sides to help hold them on, though it doesn't do as much to keep them where I want them as I'd like. Tznius (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=52) sells some wide headbands that might work well.

Best of luck!

kwaniesiam
October 26th, 2010, 06:55 PM
First of all :grouphug: I went through the same type of all over thinning from hypothyroidism and severe anemia. I can tell you one thing. DO NOT CUT BANGS. It will emphasize how little hair you have on the top of your head. Your best bet is to take care of what you have and and deal with what is causing the hair loss. have you tried the Morocco method? Their products really helped thicken my hair back up. It's been a rough journey but my hair is no longer see through (really short though, check out my albums).

x-fusion keratin hair particles can help hide the thinning on your scalp. They come in several colors, google if you're interested. That may be another option for you. If you have any other questions or just need someone to talk to that has gone through it feel free to PM me and I'll offer any other advice or just a sympathetic ear. Good luck.