PDA

View Full Version : Obsessing over trimming...

Jessica Trapp
October 24th, 2010, 08:55 PM
To trim or not to trim, that is the question...

My uneven fairytale hair is soooooooooo close to my hair goal. It's mostly sitting at 42 with some at 43 and a a few leader hairs at 44 (my goal!) It is starting to need a trim to thicken the hemline really really bad but it took me FORFREAKINGEVER to get to this length and I h.a.t.e losing any length.

Does anyone else obsess over small trims?

Advice, anyone?

Fairlight63
October 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
ME!
I am almost at waist length (almost 32") I keep thinking that I should dust the ends every 1st. day of the month to even up the ends, BUT I hate to lose any length.
Then I think, maybe every 2 mon. It has been 2 mon. since I "dusted" the ends.

As you said - it has taken FORFREAKINGEVER to get to this length & I don't want to lose any.

christine1989
October 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I debated about doing a tiny trim for weeks before I finally did it. It was tough to finally do but afterwards my ends felt so nice and I could finally stand to look at the back of my head in the mirror again.

Quahatundightu
October 25th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I am having this exact problem! I am sooooo close to TB but my hair needs a trim.. I have decided to wait until the solstice and do it then :) Maybe I can start a once or twice yearly tradition xD

cindy58
October 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, it always seems to be a big decision to trim -- but once it's done, I'm generally happy/OK with it. I've reached the point where I think I want to maintain or even trim back some, but deciding and doing that are two different things! It seems difficult to join the "maintain" side rather than being a "grower".

BeautifulBella
October 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I think your hair looks gorgeous just the way it is, like Rapunzel or something!!! trimming it right now would look off...

dainaleeo2
October 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
i obsess in trimming too, but i guess in reverse. every time i see a little straggly end i grab my scissors & BAM snip. i'm like OCD with it or something xD i just need to have those dry bits gone.
my hair is short though, above the shoulders, so i guess its more noticeable. for you i think if you trimmed a wee bit it wouldnt be as noticeable, but i do understand where you're coming from. i feel the same way. every single centimeter on my hair counts! haha. so i feel ya completely.

xoxophelia
October 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I think about it pretty often as well. Always going back and forth.

You could think of it as making up for lost time though. If you had been trimming all along, you wouldn't be dealing with this (but your hair would also be shorter). A small trim is a middle ground.. if that makes any sense :S..

SpinDance
October 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I finally decided that for me it was a matter of how I wanted to think about it. First I realized that I have been unintentionally maintaining around waist to BCL for years because it never looked 'nice' to me when it got past hip. The fairy tale ends just looked too thin to my eyes compared to the thickness of the upper part down to past BSL. It would get to or almost to BCL, I'd hate the thin ends and trim back, to usually waist. Then the cycle would continue.

After thinking about this a while I decided a couple things. I decided that if it would never get longer than hip and have what I consider a decent hemline, that I would be satisfied with that. No sense in pining after something that just isn't to be. If that is the way my hair is, so be it. I'll accept that and be happy it is that long and in decent shape. (See, that was hard for me to decide!)

That decided, I also decided that if I could get and keep a thicker hemline, that I would be interested in seeing if it would actually grow longer. I've never had it past BCL, so I really don't know if I will like having it longer.

With those decisions out of the way I decided that the only way I would know is to start doing more regular, very small, trims. I reread the self trim instructions and gave it a try I guess in April. Then in June I decided to just trim as I felt it might help. Tiny amounts, .5 cm each time, just to try keeping the longest hairs from getting too far ahead. I dusted once in June, twice in July, once in August and twice in September. My ends are still thin below the waist, but not as much as before. I think (hope) that it is also thickening below BSL. I decided this month to let it ride, not trimming. I expect to trim again next month and will either maintain or let it get a bit longer, as seems appropriate.

TinaDenali
October 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I was having this issue, too, but I bit the bullet and trimmed. Except, I like layers, so I used the 'pony-tail method' (without using a hair elastic, lol) and trimmed my layers. I did not take away any of my length, but cleaning up my layered ends was just what my hair needed.

Sounds like you're trying to do away with your layers, so that method might not work for you :)

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I think you should wait until you are absolutely sure that you want to trim. You are right, it takes FOREVER to get to the longest lengths, so unless there's a reason that cannot be denied, why set yourself back?

Until very recently, I didn't have a problem with trimming because I wanted my ends on the thick and even side. It has taken 10 years (5-1/2 since I joined LHC), and I'm so close to my goal length now that I just plain don't wanna trim. So I'm not.

Alexannee10
October 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm the same as you all ! I HATE losing lenght :( but I trimmed 1½ inch in october, and I'm always thinking about it.

pepperminttea
October 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Same here. I always hate trimming, and procrastinate over it for as long as possible, but once I've bitten the bullet and done it, I do like that freshly-trimmed ends feeling, even though it only lasts a month or two for me. That said, once my layers are gone once and for all, I will be trimming a lot less each time (the past two trims have both been 2").

lara grace
October 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I hate trimming too but it really is worth it to get those dry ends off and get it all evened up. My hair feels much nicer after!

BelleBot
October 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Only trim if you really really want to. I've just done a microtrim last week. I did promise myself I'd trim twice a year, and it's 6 months since my last trim. My length was between 37" and 38", so I decided to tidy things up a tiny bit without losing any noticeable length and trimmed off half an inch. So I'm at more consistent 37 and a bit inches.
I just reminded myself my ends needed a little tidy and even when my longest hairs hit my goal, I'll still have ages for the rest of my hair and my damned layers to catch up. So little trims won't make too much of a difference to when I'll hit my goal and be happy. If that makes any sense!

Angelica
October 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I think your hair is lovely and I don't think it is urgently in need of a trim right now. Even though I only trim off the smallest amount I can get away with, I still seem to notice the little length which has gone.

BrightEyes7
October 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I always am happy after a trim.... But getting there is the problem. I obsess about the trim, and my length. I feel like if I trim I won't have long hair anymore... then I have a reality check and realize waist length is still long... an inch won't matter that much....

I just hate when my ends get scragly because then I'm ashamed to wear it down. Trim now and you won't have to trim later... It'll be better in the long run. Even if it is less than an inch!

Lorz
October 25th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I'm trying to grow my hair out and I worry too much about trims, too. I can't decide if I should do S&D only or go to the stylist. I'm always afraid she'll take too much off, or if I do it, my layers won't look right. Right now, it's about BSL and I'm hoping to get it to waist length.

Jessica- how long is FORFREAKINGEVER? What length was it when you started, and how long ago was that? I have no idea what kind of timeline to expect to get my hair from BSL to waist.

virgo75
October 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Your hair is gorgeous.
Would NOT trim if I were you.

You said most of your hair is at 42in with 44 being your goal.

Let's pretend that everybody's hair grows 1/2 inch per month.
That means that your hair would be at 44 inches in about 4 months. :cheese:

I would put it up until February/March then trim after the rest of your hairs have reached your goal.

In the grand scheme of things, 4 months is really not that long. :flower:

Another option - if you're really aching to trim - then only trim at 44inches. That way as everything reaches "the finish line" it will all eventually end up even.

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
FWIW, I love your fairytale ends. If you don't want to lose length and it's only 2 more inches, just let it grow. S&D off the splits and let it be until it gets to about 46 inches, then trim back to 44.

My advice might be different if you had awful splits at BSL and wanted to grow to 44 inches. But when you're so close and your hair is in decent condition, it'll be less painless to just trim back to your goal length until you're happy with the thickness.

Jessica Trapp
October 25th, 2010, 07:40 PM
THANK YOU for all of your replies. LHC ROCKS! Nicest forum on the Net. :love:

Speedbump
October 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Jessica, as a person who just hit a 6-year goal, I can tell you that it's totally worth it to NOT TRIM if you are close to that goal. You can always, once you hit your goal, maintain that length a while and trim small amounts to remove damage. All I know is, if I hadn't avoided the scissors at all costs, I would have completely regretted it today. What you do is up to you, of course, but if I were you I would *avoid trimming* at all costs until I hit my goal. :)

HTH! :eyebrows:

Speedy

Jessica Trapp
October 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Jessica- how long is FORFREAKINGEVER? What length was it when you started, and how long ago was that? I have no idea what kind of timeline to expect to get my hair from BSL to waist.

Well, I've never "cut" my hair short. But it used to just break off. I joined LHC in Feb 2005 with damaged 33 inch hair (approximately waist length) and had nearly given up on my "dream" of having super-long hair. I changed my routine and started practicing benign neglect (YAY LHC!) and it started gaining length again. :cheese:

Even so, in the last 5-6 years I have only had rare trims, no cuts, just S&D and it has grown 10 inches in 5 years. 2 inches a year--is kinda creeping along at a snail pace.

MrsGuther
October 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I just got about 5 inches chopped off in July and my hair has just recently gotten back to BSL... so I am avoiding ANY trimming for a LONG time. It's taking my hair "FORFREAKINGEVER" to get to waist length. LOL :)

darkwaves
October 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
For me, it would depend how even it was -- I mean from one side to the other, not the overall lovely fairytale look.

So I, personally, would trim if my left side had lots of energetic growth, while the right was stunted... but not at all if the variations were fairly even.

(And I covet the extra seven inches you have on me! That's at least two years growth, maybe three! Maybe I need to listen to my fellow curly-woman Speedy and *avoid trimming* at all costs!)

Toadstool
October 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Hijack - I am so inspired by all the beautiful hair on this thread!

Venefica
October 26th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I do not obsess over small trims. Trims keep my hair healthy. It is not just about length it is about health as well. I do recommend a little trim now and again. I would go talk with a hairdresser to get advice on how you can trim to tidy up your ends without loosing to much length.

cybernetica
October 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I am so with you on this one! I am getting real close to waist length, and my goal is to get to tailbone length. I am constantly pondering over trimming or just letting it go! I also don't like going to the salon for a trim, cause they are always so darn rough with hair. I have a few splits mostly on my old highlighted parts :( Damn bleach!!

Forever_Sophie
October 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I used to obsess, but now it's "quality over quantity" so to speak. I don't mind losing a couple inches (esp. when it's below bs length - but that's just me). These days, I very much look forward to trims! Crazy.

I know what you mean about being close to your goal, though!

FrannyG
October 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I am a regular trimmer, as I've learned since joining LHC that it's the best way for me to grow my hair with my particular hair type.

Having said that, as faithful as I am to trimming, I was getting so close to BSL that I put off my regular trim, so that when I next trim I will still be at the bottom of BSL.

I find that your hair type lends itself much better to a no-trim plan. As long as you're so close to your goal, there is no way I would suggest a trim for you.

There's plenty of time for trims when you get where to want to be. And by the way, I do think your hair is very beautiful. :blossom:

Jessica Trapp
October 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Huge thank you for all the responses. I :inlove: you guys. The LHC support is awesome!

I've decided even though it's uneven, seeing those 44 inch leaders gives me hope that I will someday reach my goal (even though it's taken FORFREAKINGEVER!). So, for now I think that I'll just wear it up, not over-worry and not trim. Maybe I'll trim on my birthday. Or maybe not. I dunno... :p

:flower: jes

KayBee
October 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm at that point now. I asked DH to take a photo of the back of my hair earlier this summer and I didn't realize it looked so scraggly at the very ends. I now know this is called the 'fairy tale' look (I'm learning already!)

I have been thinking 'maybe I'll get it trimmed soon' ever since. I haven't had so much as a trim since January 2008. I remember the month because it was just before my wedding, LOL.

JamieLeigh
October 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Me. I trim 1/8" every week. :p But I'm not trying to gain length at the moment, just trying to thicken up after shedding so horribly this year...and looks like it's finally starting to work! Once I do start the growing again (assuming I don't just love it here at lower-mid-thigh and just let it be), I will trim much less. ;)