PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Kelly's top ten style mistakes ....argghhh

susiemw
October 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ok, I'm with him on all buy one. Argggghhhh.

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/10/15/clinton-kelly-what-not-to-wear-women-s-style-mistakes/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-w%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C179509

Since my hair is tailbone length I think you can figure out which "style mistake" I disagree with.

Susan
ps I searched to see if his list had been posted but didn't find it.

kschr2004
October 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Well, I am not surprised. They are always cutting long hair off on that show.

boomtownrat
October 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM
To be fair, he does say "ultralong styleless hair" - I believe that was an exact quote, emphasis mine. Not that they don't like to give everybody a big cut on that show, but maybe he was talking about very long hair that isn't being taken care of properly.

curlylocks85
October 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
It is interesting how someone can just say what not to do or wear or act (insert object, name, event, behavior etc... here) and suddenly it is fact and sometimes a rule. Why do people assume that long hair after a certain age means you are holding on to something or someone? One has nothing to do with the other in my book. How strange. Thanks for sharing.

trillcat
October 24th, 2010, 08:04 PM
To be fair, he does say "ultralong styleless hair" - I believe that was an exact quote, emphasis mine. Not that they don't like to give everybody a big cut on that show, but maybe he was talking about very long hair that isn't being taken care of properly.
That quote usual means very long hair all one length."It's not doing anything for you" "it drags your face down. "Your are hiding behind your hair"
I give them the comment I heard from my elders. they talked about hair, I listened. "F them"
(OK I stole that from Steven Colbert, not about hair)

Lady Mary
October 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Stupid article. How dare people wear holiday sweaters and have long hair! :laugh:

LawyerGirl
October 24th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I am sooo many fashion faux-pas all rolled into one person! :P

Eboshi
October 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Well I for one am glad that this list got posted. If only people wouldn't stop there though as I need lots of help.

Can Clinton Kelly, a random magazine writer or whoever please tell me:

1. What else should I wear/not wear?
2. What are the "acceptable" thoughts that I should have?
3. Who are the "right" people that I should have as friends and associates?
4. What are the "right" TV shows to be watching (I'm sure that books are a flat out fashion "no no" so I won't ask about that)
5. What is the currently acceptable way of expressing myself? Is it OK to say "this is cool" ? or do I now say "this is SICK" ? or what?

I really do have trouble thinking for myself and I need someone else to tell me how to live my life. Thanks in advance !

/sarcasm

RocketDog
October 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Why would I want to take the advice of someone who seems to enjoy turning every person who walked onto that show into the same neutral-toned, generic fashion mannequin?

blergh, I'll be over in the corner with my long hair, frayed jeans and homemade tie-dye, thanks.

Bonkers57
October 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM
'F 'em' is the world's shortest prayer according to Gary Oldman. He'd told that to Isabella Rossellini while they were dating.

But yeah, it is usually referring to all-one-length long hair. I made reference in another post about Nick's haircuts all looking like soccer mom hair. :disgust:

That quote usual means very long hair all one length."It's not doing anything for you" "it drags your face down. "Your are hiding behind your hair"
I give them the comment I heard from my elders. they talked about hair, I listened. "F them"
(OK I stole that from Steven Colbert, not about hair)

Rebelkat
October 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Interesting... I think HE'S lacking in the style department. I've rarely ever followed other people's advice on any of my choices, lifestyle or fashion-style, and I've never regretted going against the grain. The only regrets I've ever had were when I tried to change to please other people. I'd rather be happy with myself and not fit in than fit in and be miserable. So, yeah, fashion-editor dude, your opinion is noted- and I'll continue dressing and wearing my hair the way I want. :p

noelgirl
October 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Well, he won't have to worry about me wearing scuffed heels, as I tend toward scuffed sneakers most of the time, anyway. That's better, right?

Saraesa
October 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I agree with most of the things on the list. Visible tramp stamps and thongs are NEVER appropriate at work unless you work at a strip club or model underwear. The dropped crotch looks akward at best. After reading several articles about how knock offs are made I would never purchase them. Pointy nipple on men and women are trampy in my opinion.

trillcat
October 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
'F 'em' is the world's shortest prayer according to Gary Oldman. He'd told that to Isabella Rossellini while they were dating.

But yeah, it is usually referring to all-one-length long hair. I made reference in another post about Nick's haircuts all looking like soccer mom hair. :disgust: I stole the quote from "The Colbert Report" In reference to Oprah giving the audience tickets to Jon's rally, not his. It was funny, F Oprah, thunder bolts and lava rain down upon me, It OK I am used to it.

ilovelonghair
October 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM
It was the odd one of the list, didn't expect it to be in there. The rest I agree with (yes I hate holiday sweaters! wear them at home LOL)

eezepeeze
October 24th, 2010, 09:23 PM
And this is the rule at my house:

Ye shall boldly embrace the holiday season with all due tackiness, sweaters included, swing thou horse hair merrily, and deck the halls with boughs of poor taste as often as thou wishes. :P

christine1989
October 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Grrr! Of course I am peeved about what they say about long hair after 30 (as everyone else is I'm sure). I only do the "frayed hem" thing but its pretty hard to avoid being 5'1.

Angeletti
October 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I may agree with not wanting to see people's thongs sticking out but I find it ridiculous that he goes on about people's clothing and hair... I feel that there are so many people in society who bully other people who want to be themselves whether that be wearing holiday clothes or having long hair. Too bad they couldn't focus all that into something worthwhile that could help people in a positive way instead of trying to turn them into clones.

estherbeth
October 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Ugh. While a couple of those mistakes have a point, I can't stand that show or either of the hosts on it. They're snotty, mocking, and downright mean on many episodes, and that's not even going into the way they attempt to crank out cookie-cutter 'stylish' women. :(

kwaniesiam
October 25th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Holiday sweaters I 100% agree with. If you're at a family Christmas party and don't want to offend grandma then fine. Otherwise, ick. Most of those others I wouldn't be caught dead in either but that's just my sense of style (aside the hair of course!) but to each their own.

marzipanthecat
October 25th, 2010, 01:23 AM
OK, I live in the UK, so I have no idea really who Clinton Kelly is (after a look at the article and the comments here I have figured out what he does!). All a bit pointless, really. And the bit about no holiday sweaters - well, good grief, he's wearing one in that photo! (You'd really only wear that at Christmas or playing golf here)

I just found myself doing the whole "Who is this person to tell people how to look?". It's all a bit yawn.

And the exhausted cliche about long hair being about hanging on to your youth...

I did like the last point that women MUST define their waistline. I'd like to see him wander around south London telling all the ladies in full burkhas that they MUST do this. He'd get clonked. He has just no idea about cultural differences. Also, what if someone is a fatso like me and doesn't really have a waistline to define? (yes, I know the obvious answer, lose weight, but meh...)

Masara
October 25th, 2010, 01:29 AM
And the bit about no holiday sweaters - well, good grief, he's wearing one in that photo! (You'd really only wear that at Christmas or playing golf here)

I'm pleased I wasn't the only one to look at his sweater and shake my head

pepperminttea
October 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I just found myself doing the whole "Who is this person to tell people how to look?". It's all a bit yawn.

Agreed. Someone hasn't come across "I'm not here to decorate your world" yet.

mrs_coffee
October 25th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Although I agree with most of his "rules," I don't take them too seriously because I don't like most of the makeovers on that show anyway. Everyone ends up looking basically the same. Boring.

Night_Kitten
October 25th, 2010, 05:58 AM
In my oppinion, the most important thing is how you feel wearing something. If someone is dressed "in style" but doesn't feel comfortable with that type of clothes - it will show, and the other way arownd - if someone is dressed the way they feel good and comfortable it alsow shows, even if they aren't dressed according to the latest style / "fashion rules"...

And like many of the commenters before me, I also think his "rule" about hair is total :bs:

phistash
October 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Oh please. I love fashion, but hate everyone involved in it. I consider my style well-developed, and I do not see long hair as unstylish.

Years ago, I had a television. I know, crazy. It was an evil thing, luring me into watching early afternoon makeover shows. Like Ambush Makeover, where a poor, unsuspecting woman would be walking down the street, get ambushed by a television crew and a crazed hostess, bullied into agreeing to a makeover, and left "1/2 hour" later, bewildered, with her new, trendy, soulless, soccer mom look.

These people have no character, and no real personality. As Trillcat says, "F' em".

Btw, I live and work in what is supposed to be the most fashion-forward city in the U.S. and there are tons of women here with at least waist-length hair. Apparently this dude isn't paying any attention.

spidermom
October 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I don't know how anybody can hide behind a bun; that's where my long hair usually is, that or a braid.

Most people fall somewhere on the continuum of wanting to blend in and be like everybody else. My psychiatrist told me this. Only a handful of us look around at a sea of blue coats, then go out and buy a red one.

mellie
October 25th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Interesting article, thanks for sharing! I agree with some of them, but disagree on the hair thing, of course.

Well, he won't have to worry about me wearing scuffed heels, as I tend toward scuffed sneakers most of the time, anyway. That's better, right?

Noelgirl, you're awesome! :hifive:

Babyfine
October 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Why is it that having long hair( a natural process) means that you're trying to "hold on to your youth" but botox, face lifts, dyeing , perming,exercising,trying to get longer lashes,ect are just fine for "older" women? No on thinks a thing about any of those other things.

Not that there's anything wrong with those things(I color, wear makeup ,ect myself) but come on!

I did agree with him on some of the other things.

Intransigentia
October 25th, 2010, 09:19 AM
heh. My goal is ultra-long, style-less hair. Though nobody will be able to tell since goal #2 is to become the Queen of Awe-inspiring Updos.

anna francesca
October 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
As earlier mentioned, and as the photo shows, the Kelly guy seems to have missed his own sweater. Gee, the unshakable belief in themselves some people have... If only they would not impose those rules on otherst. Tsk, tsk, tsk

Igraine
October 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Why is it that having long hair( a natural process) means that you're trying to "hold on to your youth" but botox, face lifts, dyeing , perming,exercising,trying to get longer lashes,ect are just fine for "older" women? No on thinks a thing about any of those other things.

Not that there's anything wrong with those things(I color, wear makeup ,ect myself) but come on!

I did agree with him on some of the other things.

This times a 1000! (message was probably too short).

ddiana1979
October 25th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I like Clinton a lot better than Stacy London. When she's on, I want to throw things at the TV. She's so judgmental & mean. The only thing cool about her is that lovely streak of grey through her dark hair. I'd also like to point out that she's 41 and has APL hair. Wonder what Clinton thinks of that.

I digress, who in the hell decided that 30 was too old for long hair?!? There are numerous celebrities into their 50s & 60s with long hair, and they still look darn hot. When I was little, there was a lady who lived across the street from me in her 80s or 90s, and she always had the most beautifully intricate braided buns up in her silver white hair. I thought she was gorgeous. Probably one of my hair inspirations, actually. :)

ddiana1979
October 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM
My psychiatrist told me this. Only a handful of us look around at a sea of blue coats, then go out and buy a red one.

That's an AWESOME quote. :cheese:

Unofficial_Rose
October 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Actually, I think his hair is a bit crap. It looks old-fashioned to me.

Lamb
October 25th, 2010, 10:29 AM
But yeah, it is usually referring to all-one-length long hair. I made reference in another post about Nick's haircuts all looking like soccer mom hair. :disgust:

You say "soccer mom" like it's a bad thing. ;) I guess I just don't like using the name for an entire group of women (mothers who drive their kids around to soccer) as an umbrella-term for that certain je ne sais qua we should all avoid looking like. :shrug: Honestly. What IS so bad about looking like a mother with kids who play soccer? Are they axe-murderers or what?

Pointy nipple on men and women are trampy in my opinion.
Now that is another thing I just don't get. There is a difference between baring my nipples and their shape/outline being discernible underneath my shirt/sweater. I'm as modest as they come, but I'm not going to wear a padded bra, add half a cup size to my usual size and make my tops look odd and the wrong size, just so some guy can resist the urge to stare at my chest.
And on the same note, I'm not gonna cover the table legs either.

Eboshi
October 25th, 2010, 10:46 AM
And on the same note, I'm not gonna cover the table legs either.
What? You immodest hussy you! Off to the stockades with ya.

ddiana1979
October 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Now that is another thing I just don't get. There is a difference between baring my nipples and their shape/outline being discernible underneath my shirt/sweater. I'm as modest as they come, but I'm not going to wear a padded bra, add half a cup size to my usual size and make my tops look odd and the wrong size, just so some guy can resist the urge to stare at my chest.

I agree. I have a DD chest, so adding padding would make me look absolutely ridiculous. I dress very modestly, but occasionally the outline of my nipples show. I used tape when I was younger & more self-conscious, but heck, they even sell sweater bumpers for people who WANT to show off, so why should I worry about my barely noticeable nipples? At work, I wear a starched white lab coat, so I don't think I look "unprofessional" or "trampy" or anything. Sorry if this is TMI.

practikalmagik
October 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Oh goodness me how boring some people's lives must be if they feel the need to be told what to wear. Beyond the basics of wearing clothes that sit comfortably, shouldn't it be a case of: if it makes you feel good then wear it. Obviously you have to adjust attire to the workplace but outside of work, who cares!?

growing2shine
October 25th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Ok I just hate rules! I mean I do agree with some of the "rules"...

I think there's difference between fashion and style. Fashion fades, style is something you've got. You can wear something very fashionable and still be unstylish.

eezepeeze
October 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I think there's difference between fashion and style. Fashion fades, style is something you've got. You can wear something very fashionable and still be unstylish.

Very well said. After all, doesn't Donna Karan, world famous clothing designer well over 40, have long hair and ALSO exhibit exquisite style?

ETA: I would also like to point out that very long hair is not "styleless". It is, in itself, a style, just like the buzz cut is its own style. How one wears that very long hair says a lot about the person growing it. Is it always free flowing, or up, or braided? Is it up and out of the way and no-nonsense? Is it flowing and romantic? Is it clean and well-groomed or greasy and unkempt?

By the way, in the intro to What Not To Wear, they show a famous hair model with VERY long red hair being suddenly "made over". But, the long hair remained. That hair model was on a tv show called Head of the Class in the late 80s as a teen, putting her well over Clinton Kelly's "30" age limit for long hair. Let us remember that these "rules" he gives are merely his own opinions. In the midwest, where I live, a lot of the fashion and hair choices they make for people on the show would seem weird and odd-looking in everyday life, especially at work. Let the fashion fit the SITUATION and let your STYLE always reflect who you are.

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
See, I still can't get past the point where he has an incredibly scuffed up pair of pumps.... :D

(Yeah, I get that the article was written by a woman quoting this dude. But that's not how I originally read it.)

Intransigentia
October 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Let the fashion fit the SITUATION and let your STYLE always reflect who you are.

Hell yeah!:cheese:

Angelica
October 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Everyone should wear what makes them feel comfortable. I detest that kind of attitude which is all too common these days. The bit about the hair is typical. And I actually like those tops/dresses which were labelled "give up dresses" - they are very smart when worn with leggings.

ladycaladium
October 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Well, I've always been out of fashion, so why stop now? It's my hair and I'll wear it however I want to, thank you very much.

Rebelkat
October 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Most people fall somewhere on the continuum of wanting to blend in and be like everybody else. My psychiatrist told me this. Only a handful of us look around at a sea of blue coats, then go out and buy a red one.
:D That's a boost to the old self-esteem! I'd be rockin' that red jacket like nobody's business, and be amused by the stares I got.

Bonkers57
October 25th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Point taken :) I've carted my son to many a soccer game myself.

Maybe a better word would be "frumpy."

You say "soccer mom" like it's a bad thing. ;) I guess I just don't like using the name for an entire group of women (mothers who drive their kids around to soccer) as an umbrella-term for that certain je ne sais qua we should all avoid looking like. :shrug: Honestly. What IS so bad about looking like a mother with kids who play soccer? Are they axe-murderers or what?

little_cherry
October 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The LoL comment boiled my mind.... :p

Madora
October 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Fashion/style arbiters have been with us forever.

I couldn't care less about what they find "fashionable (or not). Dressing for comfort is what suits me best..and my hair is always well groomed (if "unstylishly long" for my age group).

Stick with what pleases YOU and be happy!

luthien_belewen
October 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Wow...go to Amazon and read the reviews and look inside the book! He comes across so condescending and crass. yikes, doesn't make me want to take his advice at all!

cybernetica
October 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Yack! Did he even look at what he was putting on for that photo shoot! I would laugh if i seen a guy dressed like that lol
What dose he know anyway, since when is 30 old!

Wanderer09
October 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Why is a MAN telling women how they should look, and in a totally snotty and condescending way as well? Blargh.

Lamb
October 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Oh lord. :rolleyes: I just checked out (as in looked it up, didn't buy it!) the book on amazon - a tired brain will do that to you - here are a few chapter titles:

"Catholic Schoolgirl"

"Hairy Legs Under Hose"

"Low Boobies"

"Reinforced Toe"

"Frizz", "Horse Hair", "Dated Hair"

"Calf Length Skirts"

"Mini Anything over a Certain Age"

"Covering your A S S (sic!) with an Invisibility Cloak"

Why in heaven's name didn't he just slap "How to Erase All Traces of Individuality" on the cover and call it a day??? :justy:

ETA: Just read further into the preview... OMG. Since when is "Look, I don't know how much information your brain can accomodate, but..." a good way to start a chapter??? :puke: Someone needs a slap upside the head, and, perhaps, a real job.

sunshineTX
October 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I've never really been one to follow fashion and/or style rules. To each his own. I'll be my own person, and keep my long hair (even though I'm well past the "acceptable" age), thank you very much! :tongue:

Copasetic
October 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Meh, I don't really care if Clinton Kelly thinks I look good. :p

MandyBeth
October 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Guess I'm odd, I considered 9 of those 10 to be what I aim to avoid anyways. And the 1 of the 10 would actually be the tramp stamp at work, since I've been known to try to show off as many of my tattoos as possible when at DF's business.

Tho' I'm possibly the only one who has walked around thinking *A bottle of oil and 2 feet cut off would do a LOT for her* and such because gak, some people here think long hair means you grow it and ignore it, and it's 3 feet of fried, dried, crispy, frazzled mess that is hopeless. That's what I'm calling styleless hair.

MrsGuther
October 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Clinton Kelly pisses me off... always encouraging women to chop off all their hair on his show. Since when did it make you look better to chop off all your hair and always dress like a business woman?!? I think Clinton needs to reevaluate his thinking on hairstyle choices for women.

trillcat
October 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
always dress like a business woman?!?

This is one thing that always PO's me about the two of them. Who dresses like that all the time?? Sorry I did not do my hair, put on make up, slap on the pointy feet killing shoes and head out to the store for milk and eggs
Do these people live in the real world???

little_cherry
October 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Tho' I'm possibly the only one who has walked around thinking *A bottle of oil and 2 feet cut off would do a LOT for her* and such because gak, some people here think long hair means you grow it and ignore it, and it's 3 feet of fried, dried, crispy, frazzled mess that is hopeless. That's what I'm calling styleless hair.
I hear ya...I see too many women with crispy hair and they think it's perfectly acceptable. If one wants long hair, they should take care of it, not make it more attractive to birds.

MissySue
October 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I think what the fashion police don't understand is that when a woman wears a particular outfit it expresses something about her. It's sometimes a very subtle expression or sometimes it's a very obvious expression, but the point is it is her own expression! If someone else tells you what to wear there is no 'you' in it at all. I think it would be a shame if we all looked the same. Me personally, I like the long, flowy dresses (the 'I give up' dresses:mad:), they are me. I don't want to be Clinton Kelly's idea of a well dressed woman, I want to be my idea of a well dressed me.

Fog
October 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I'd like to avoid frayed hems on my jeans, but it's impossible to find pants that fit and are the right length! I've attempted hemjobs, but I always end up with flood pants :(

marzipanthecat
October 26th, 2010, 02:45 AM
And the bit about no holiday sweaters - well, good grief, he's wearing one in that photo!

Bah, I had to quote myself just to say I re-read my own post and it's not meant to sound like I disapprove of holiday sweaters (I like novelty stuff, my whole life is turning into novelty items...). It was just that he had this whole thing about people not doing something and then he does it himself and ooh, the hypocrisy!

Besides, even if I did have a problem with holiday sweaters, it's not my place to tell someone not to wear them!

Toadstool
October 26th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I really enjoyed all the posts in this thread! It's so refreshing to not be the only one who doesn't care what one man dictates should be my mode of dress.
With all the poverty, war, famine and abuse going on in the world, this man has such an important job (sarcasm):rolleyes:

marzipanthecat
October 26th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Also, I just went back and looked at the book's cover photo and (correct me if I'm wrong) - isn't he wearing his sweater tucked into his trousers? Is this the fashion now?

I'm not being snotty, I'm genuinely curious.

Fashions in the USA and the UK are often subtly different like that.

Barniie
October 26th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Did anyone else click on the link in the article? http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/20/how-to-grow-long-healthy-hair-beauty-editor-secrets/
IT TALKS ABOUT US :)

Bonkers57
October 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Oh, yes! There are threads devoted to that article!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56047&highlight=vaguely+creepy

Did anyone else click on the link in the article? http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/09/20/how-to-grow-long-healthy-hair-beauty-editor-secrets/
IT TALKS ABOUT US :)

Bonkers57
October 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM
...your brain can accommodate??!!

He must be talking to those who hang on his every word as gospel. What a prick!

(And what's wrong with calf length skirts?)

Oh lord. :rolleyes: I just checked out (as in looked it up, didn't buy it!) the book on amazon - a tired brain will do that to you - here are a few chapter titles:

"Catholic Schoolgirl"

"Hairy Legs Under Hose"

"Low Boobies"

"Reinforced Toe"

"Calf Length Skirts"

Why in heaven's name didn't he just slap "How to Erase All Traces of Individuality" on the cover and call it a day??? :justy:

ETA: Just read further into the preview... OMG. Since when is "Look, I don't know how much information your brain can accomodate, but..." a good way to start a chapter??? :puke: Someone needs a slap upside the head, and, perhaps, a real job.

Purdy Bear
October 26th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Im so glad I dont follow fashion. Im one of those buying red coats and Im glad for it.

Infact about four months after Iv worn the stuff it arrives in the High Street Stores.

KayBee
October 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I agree with some of those tips but certainly not the hair one..as well as the other comment from one of his books about not wearing certain styles after the age of 30. Seriously, what are we supposed to do? Chop off our hair off and go out and buy some muu muus?

It seems that's the mentality of a lot of folks, but I was never one for giving a hoot what others thought about my hair or my clothes.

I'm 35 and trust me, I'm not trying to 'hang onto my youth' because I don't feel old..I'm still young! My mother is almost 60 and still wears her hair long and wears non 'old lady' clothes. I mean she doesn't wear babydoll shirts that say 'Princess' on them or anything but she will wear concert shirts and jeans.

phistash
October 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I'd like to avoid frayed hems on my jeans, but it's impossible to find pants that fit and are the right length! I've attempted hemjobs, but I always end up with flood pants :(

Do you have a sewing machine? Here are the easiest hemming instructions I've found. It's nearly impossible to screw it up:

http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

luxepiggy
October 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I cannot in good conscience take fashion tips from a man who says that the French manicure is a style faux pas.

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
His tip: "Remember, a lady bends at the knee, even if she's very, very flexible."

Um okay lol. Not sure how I bend, don't pay much attention to it, but I don't have the tattoo issue they're addressing. Admit I do the sin of the scruffed heels sometimes, it takes me forever to find new shoes that fit my strange feet!

Lamb
October 26th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I cannot in good conscience take fashion tips from a man who says that the French manicure is a style faux pas.

Well, according to him, porn stars have taken to wearing it, and once "whores" adopt a style, respectable "ladies" should abandon it. (Yes, he does say that. Look it up in the preview on amazon. Truly liberating advice, right? :rolleyes: Very 1954.)

TrudieCat
October 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Also, I just went back and looked at the book's cover photo and (correct me if I'm wrong) - isn't he wearing his sweater tucked into his trousers? Is this the fashion now?

I'm not being snotty, I'm genuinely curious.

Fashions in the USA and the UK are often subtly different like that.

I noticed this, too. I've only known of one person who does this IRL (I'm in the US, btw) and he gets a lot of flack for it - little do his tormentors know that he's apparently the epitome of style. :p

The whole focus on what is considered "respectable" or "ladylike" vs. what is not is offensive, frankly. Clinton's opinions come from snap judgments, stereotypes, and assumptions about character based on appearance, profession, amount of money spent on clothes, etc. That's really not cool. I'm with Lamb on this.

x0h_bother
October 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Haha to #10, OMGoodness #7 is like my pet peeve, but #2??? C'mon. I just commented on this bias in the NYTimes article thread: they think women are trying too hard to retain youth, but what is wrong with retaining youth? Hair is gorgeous.

x0h_bother
October 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I agree, I didn't know he said this, but I do see the whole "trashy" french manicure aspect http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/images/uploads/frenchmanicure_thumb.jpg versus http://weddingcometrue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/french-manicure-frankfort-il-2.jpg.

Happy Phantom
October 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Those recommendations seem really strange to me :-/
Do people really find such Articles cool and add it one to one to their dos and don'ts?!

Arianwen
October 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM

"Catholic Schoolgirl"

"Hairy Legs Under Hose"

"Low Boobies"

"Reinforced Toe"

"Calf Length Skirts"

WTF? One of my favourite skirts I ever had (it was brown and feminine - I got it at Le Chateau) was calf-length on me. I LOVE skirts that length! I think it flatters my tall self. Sheesh, wear and do what turns your crank and makes you feel good and bugger what anyone else thinks. I'm too old to care! I shop at Goodwill! :D

alwayssmiling
October 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have decided to give myself waist length hair for my 40th birthday (3 years to go).

Thank goodness people on this forum can think for themselves. These experts will be back this time next year telling us that pringle jumpers are naff, and jeans and smart jackets are a definite no no. Wear what you want folks and hair in good condition can be any length at any age.

slythwolf
October 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Well, according to him, porn stars have taken to wearing it, and once "whores" adopt a style, respectable "ladies" should abandon it. (Yes, he does say that. Look it up in the preview on amazon. Truly liberating advice, right? :rolleyes: Very 1954.)
That makes perfect sense. I suppose we should all also stop wearing heels, pretty bras and makeup, right?

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM
OK, just looked at the list again.. what's up with the 'hairy legs in hose'? I admit it can look a bit off if you're wearing fishnets and have coarse wiry hair that gets sectioned out into little diamond tufts, but otherwise, Mr. Kelly, until you're expected to always have your perfectly-shaven lower legs on display, may I kindly request that you stuff it. Or else I may pay you a visit in my unshaven legs with NO HOSE AT ALL. And Birkenstocks! And a flowy dress! Let's see how your delicate sensibilities handle evidence that women are mammals, not plastic mannequins, eh?

Jessica Trapp
October 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Well, I've always been out of fashion, so why stop now? It's my hair and I'll wear it however I want to, thank you very much.

I love this! My thoughts exactly. :D:D:D:D:D

jes

adiapalic
October 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM
It's not the first time there's been a most tasteless article on this Lemondrop blog. This is the same site where the one lady wrote about LHC being "vaguely creepy"... among other things, but that's another thread.

I wear old ratty scuffed up shoes, frayed hems on all my jeans, sometimes a dropped crotch on my pants if they're too big on my waist, and "horse hair." So, apparently I'm a lazy slob with scuffed shoes, and should be frequenting rest stops now.

According to Lemondrop, it hurts to brush long hair. Yeah, if you try to rake a brush through it the same way you would freshly cut shoulder length hair. It's physics.

But what really irks me the most is his take on, "Nipping Out." He says "This is nothing to be ashamed of ... it's just how the human body works," But then he goes on to explain how you should cover it up: "A padded bra will diminish the impact for most women, or you can insert silicone petals between you and your cups."
In other words, it's nothing to be ashamed of.. but make sure to be extremely conscious about it and cover it up anyway. I'll admit, I'm not going to intentionally go out somewhere and flash my headlights to everybody. And yes, there have been times where some shirts are a bit more revealing than others and I feel conscious and get something to cover up--mainly because it's cold ANYWAY. However, I am not going to go as far as to put silicon petals in my bra or wear a padded bra. Padded bras suck, IME. I just made a recent switch in bra types, and the new bras--while more revealing in the "nipping out" department because of lack of padded, pre-shaped shells--are so much more comfortable and natural looking.
I resent the day it was no longer acceptable for me to continue going shirtless outside when I was little--so I'm hardly going to resort to worrying about something as trivial as this.

Also, the whale-tail thing... did he have to specify hillbillies? I mean, really? Yet another dull stab at predictable southern stereotyping; White trash sluts? Check.

Ugh... just, don't insult my intelligence.

Not the first crass thing said on that Lemondrop site, nope.