PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on trimming layers while growing them out

maskedrose
May 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm going to get a 1/2" trim on Saturday, and I was wondering what you think about trimming layers (dusting them, really) while growing out? I'm going to a reputable stylist (Spidermom's), so I think she will listen if I am explicit about her just taking a little bit off the ends. I probably wouldn't bother with it at all, but I've been finding splits at the ends of my layers and I don't have the patience (or the time) for S&D.

Thanks!

QueenBea
May 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
How much shorter are your layers? Just in my experience, any "trimming of layers" ends up with them basically reshaping them; I've never seen a stylist who will spend the time finding the old layers and trimming them. From cutting my boys hair, I think it's pretty hard to do that.

BUT if your layers are a lot shorter than the rest of your hair and really do look splitty, maybe let her try . . . If they are only an inch or two shorter than your length and you want to grow them out, perhaps get a 1" trim, wait 3-6 months and get another one and LAYERS BE GONE.

Just my opinion. I've never had any luck trimming layers; the stylists just cut them more and more and shorter and shorter, and the only success I've had is waiting, then cutting the length.

Bea

Riot Crrl
May 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Agree with QueenBea, they usually think it means to reshape it all. But if the stylist is good at listening and you are very clear that you don't care about shaping and only want the shorter parts trimmed for splits, it could be OK.

I would imagine the procedure would be to gather and section and comb the hair as if for the standard layer cut, but simply cut less off.

Euphony
May 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I also agree. I'm in the process of growing out layers, but I won't have them trimmed. My stylist is awesome, she always finds it funny that I come in twice a year and have her cut off 1/4". She also tells me maybe I should wait because she can't see any damage (but I can feel it). She always does exactly what I ask of her, but I think having her trim my layers without actually reshaping them might be too much to ask of her. Fortunately she loves that I'm growing my hair so I bet she'd refuse to do it for me, but my layers are still in good shape so I'm not worrying about getting them trimmed.

spidermom
May 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
When I felt that my layers, which I don't have anymore, needed to be dusted, I would bend forward, make a top of head ponytail, slide the pony-tie down toward the floor, which would make the ends splay out, then trim the tip-ends 1/8 inch or less by myself. I'm sure the stylist will treat you right, though.

missy60
May 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I trim my layer all the time when I get a hair cut. Its just like your original hair cut when you got the layers, but my hair stylist just dust them. It wont cut short layers back into your hair it will just dust the ends of the layer just like dusting the length. It is amazing after you get them dusted everything just lays so much better. If your ends need trimmed then I would think the layers need a trim to.

maskedrose
May 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My length is just past BSL right now, and my shortest layer just reached shoulder. I think maybe I'll just leave them alone and just snip off the splits as I see them. Thanks guys!

hurricane_gia
May 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
At one times I had layers that were nine inches shorter than my hemline, and it was very difficult to trim them.

I would have to really really trust a stylist before I let them trim my layers. Even if I went back to the same stylist who cut the layers in the first place, I never ended up with a "trim". My hemline got a trim and my layers kept getting dramatically shorter and shorter.

After deciding to grow out my layers, I stopped going to hairstylists at all. I started trimming my hair myself. Fortunately, even the shortest layers were long enough that I could grab them all and bring them around to the front, so I could S&D. There were a couple of "piecey" layers that were cut from a lock of hair that naturally clumped together, and those were very easy to trim.

I was so glad when the layers grew out and I just had one hemline to deal with!

paper
May 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
When I go in for a trim off the back, she cleans up the layers on the sides. I guess thats what you all call dusting?

Wicked Princess
July 21st, 2009, 01:29 PM
This is only my past experience with hair dressers (which have thankfully all been positive), but as long as you are pushy about what you want, they tend to listen to you. And this person is reputable, as you said, so if you really feel the need to trim the layers, I would imagine they would comply :) It's your hair, and it's what you want!

That being said, I have some rather significant layers that I am trying to grow out myself, and I always trim them myself...mainly because I think it's fun :)

jera
July 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
My length is just past BSL right now, and my shortest layer just reached shoulder. I think maybe I'll just leave them alone and just snip off the splits as I see them. Thanks guys!

Your hair looks in such good condition you can probably get away with it. When growing a layer I hated, I trimmed it, but much less than my overall length until things evened out. It worked out fine. :p

MinderMutsig
September 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I just trimmed around 2 inches off my bottom layer. It was annoying me to see that flimsy layer sticking out so I decided to get rid of it.

I'd rather have full hair that is just a little shorter than longer hair that annoys me.

sk89
March 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
Reviving an old thread.
So I had my hair cut into feathered layers about an year ago, and 4 months later when I went back to my hair dresser, she made my longest layer too short - almost APL from BSL. So I let them grow for at least 6 months. All layers grew out with wispy ends and tons of split ends. This time I asked for the owner of the salon, and told her to trim my layers, and not give me any new layers. So now my longest layer is almost BSL, and I have no new layers.

I grew up with WL hair of equal length - I am an Indian and we are Sikhs, so a hair trim was out of question. Once I left for college, I started getting a hair cut. That is why long. layered hair, left open, fascinate me so much, and wispy ends irritate me to no extent :P

lapushka
March 22nd, 2017, 09:12 AM
So you're glad you got rid of your layers? :)