PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong???

stephanieleigh
October 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Ok...so I oil my hair/scalp daily with olive oil (but not too much so that it doesn't smell funny), I comb it out with a wide tooth comb, I wash twice a week at the most, I braid it each night and I think that I'm all around pretty gentle with it. Yet recently I've started to get dandruff and it seems like I have way more splits than I did before...I don't understand? I have curly hair by the way...not sure which type on the LHC chart but on a scale of 1-10 it'd probably be a 6?

chopandchange
October 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Do you air dry your hair? I remember someone mentioning that leaving their scalp damp seemed to cause dandruff.

I've started blowdrying my scalp hair now it's winter, to avoid catching cold. I'll be interested to see if it also sorts the flakies I sometimes have. Maybe you could give it a try as well.

girlcat36
October 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I think the olive oil may be coating your hair and not letting any moisture in which will cause splits; and it could also be suffocating your scalp.
Try clarifying, and maybe using coconut oil which can penetrate the hair instead of coating it.
You may not need oil every day.
If your shampoo is gentle enough, try washing 3 times a week.

StephanieB
October 24th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm with girlcat. I've never known anyone who needed to oil their hair daily. And oiling your scalp daily (esp with olive oil!) has got to be stifling it from breathing well.

People whom I know with extremely dry, brittle hair only oil once or twice per week, unless they also shampoo oftener than that. (other than putting medicated stuff on their scalp, that is)

I'd clarify - maybe even twice - first, then do no oiling OR the slightest oiling on your scalp, and do a very light oiling on your hair... and then leave both alone 'till your next wash. See how that goes; then take it (and adjust if necessary) from there.

spidermom
October 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM
If you don't already, keep the oil away from your scalp, conditioner too.

If you used to use cones and you don't now, the increased number of split ends that you see might have been there all along, but the cones were masking them. I find more benefit from cones than the opposite, so I still use a coney serum, but very sparingly, and only to the bottom half of my length.

ddiana1979
October 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Is your scalp normally oily or dry? I have an oily scalp, so I only use olive oil on everything below my ears. I put on a hair cap & sleep in it overnight. Then I CWC the oil out the next morning. I only condition my scalp on the first C, the second is just below my ears.

I agree that clarifying might help to get rid of the residue. After clarifying, you might consider massaging your scalp with aloe vera gel (the real stuff, not the ones dyed green with extra ingredients). I've found that this soothes my scalp rather nicely without doing anything harsh to it. I CWC it out about an hour or so later. I have very straight hair with an oily scalp, so this may not work for you.

Toadstool
October 24th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Oiling your scalp could easily cause dandruff. Try stopping and maybe using an anti-dandruff shampoo for a bit.

manderly
October 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ok...so I oil my hair/scalp daily with olive oil (but not too much so that it doesn't smell funny), I comb it out with a wide tooth comb, I wash twice a week at the most, I braid it each night and I think that I'm all around pretty gentle with it. Yet recently I've started to get dandruff and it seems like I have way more splits than I did before...I don't understand? I have curly hair by the way...not sure which type on the LHC chart but on a scale of 1-10 it'd probably be a 6?

I agree with the others, but I also want to point out this to you. Curlies should not comb their hair dry. You are asking for damage if you do this, and based on what you say, you do this daily, and on dry hair (since you only was 2x a week).

Put the comb down and keep it away from your hair unless it is wet and chock full of conditioner. :)

Niwa
October 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Everyone posting so far has made good suggestions. Here are some more:

1) In what condition was your hair before you started your regimen? Even the best regimen can only prevent further damage; it cannot save damaged hair. If your hair was already split, then the preexisting splits might be traveling up the shaft, catching on other strands, and causing further splitting. You might need a trim or even a cut.

2) Since you have curly hair, it could be your shampoo. Your shampoo may be too harsh, or you may need to switch to washing with conditioner. Shampoo does terrible things to my hair. Also, your shampoo technique might be problematic. You should apply shampoo to your scalp only, and shampoo gently, without piling your hair on top of your head or otherwise agitating your hair harshly. You could also be washing too frequently. Curly hair tends to be dry hair (even if your scalp is oily, your hair may not be). It may not need as much shampooing as you are doing. Olive oil cannot replace the moisture lost from over-shampooing.

3) It could also be your combing technique. What kind of comb do you use? If your comb has seams, the seams may be catching on your hair. I would recommend a seamless comb (you can google the term "seamless comb" and sites that sell them will come up). Also, if you yank the comb through your curls, this could cause splits. Last, if you do not section your hair when you comb, this could also cause splits. Try combing in four or five (or, depending on your hair's thickness, even more sections).

4) Another possibility is that you do not condition enough. Do you use conditioner after each shampooing? Oils cannot moisturize, although some can penetrate the hair shaft, so olive oil is likely not enough. Again, curly hair tends to be dry hair, so moisture is key. You might want to consider a leave-in conditioner too.

5) Yet another possibility is that your night-time regimen is damaging to your hair. Do you secure your hair before you sleep? Leaving your hair loose as you sleep can contribute to splits by drying it out (especially if you have cotton sheets and pillowcases, as most people do).

6) How was your nutrition a while ago? Poor nutrition, smoking, and other negative internal habits can result in poor quality hair, even if your hair continues to grow at the same rate. Lower quality hair is more easily damaged. If it might be the case that you had habits that were not conducive to healthy hair a year or two ago (depending on how extensive the splitting is), it may be that you need to slowly trim or cut off the low quality hair, and change your habits to produce better hair.

7) You may be handling your hair too much by oiling it each day. Maybe try wearing styles that keep it out of the way and handling it only when you wash.

8 ) I reiterate the point that curly hair should not be combed dry.

Good luck. :)

chopandchange
October 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Manderley, I beg to differ on the combing issue. I have curly hair and whenever I've done what I "ought" to be doing according to this forum and the CG method ( "embracing" the curl, scrunching and plopping product into hair, not combing or brushing once dry) I only end up with hair that becomes so matted and tangled that the resulting damage that ensues when trying to detangle is appalling. I therefore prefer to dry my hair braided and re-comb it every time it's taken out of a style. This stops it from turning into one big dreadlock.

I appreciate you are just trying to help by passing on advice, but different things work for different people and I don't think it's helpful to make sweeping generalisations about how people ought to care for their hair based purely on their "hair type." Not combing may work just fine for some ( especially at shorter lengths) but other people DO need to keep their hair combed, so I think it's best for people to explore what works best for THEM rather than dictating your own routine to them. Of course, I don't want to dictate my own routine either. Maybe you are right and the OP has hair that shouldn't be combed! Maybe if she stops combing the damage will stop... but it's not a foregone conclusion and it just seems wrong for someone to say "Curly hair = you MUST do this/that!"

manderly
October 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Manderley, I beg to differ on the combing issue. I have curly hair and whenever I've done what I "ought" to be doing according to this forum and the CG method ( "embracing" the curl, scrunching and plopping product into hair, not combing or brushing once dry) I only end up with hair that becomes so matted and tangled that the resulting damage that ensues when trying to detangle is appalling. I therefore prefer to dry my hair braided and re-comb it every time it's taken out of a style. This stops it from turning into one big dreadlock.

I appreciate you are just trying to help by passing on advice, but different things work for different people and I don't think it's helpful to make sweeping generalisations about how people ought to care for their hair based purely on their "hair type." Not combing may work just fine for some ( especially at shorter lengths) but other people DO need to keep their hair combed, so I think it's best for people to explore what works best for THEM rather than dictating your own routine to them. Of course, I don't want to dictate my own routine either. Maybe you are right and the OP has hair that shouldn't be combed! Maybe if she stops combing the damage will stop... but it's not a foregone conclusion and it just seems wrong for someone to say "Curly hair = you MUST do this/that!"

I have to tell you, I wrote and re-wrote my response to you before submitting it, because I am honestly a bit offended by your tone and comments.

I offered my advice based on my knowledge gleaned from my many years here at LHC and my personal experiences.

I in no way dictated to the OP what she needs to do. I'm not going to hunt her down and make sure she isn't combing. I'm not going to be upset with her if she chooses to keep combing. Not combing curly hair while dry is a pretty well known and fairly followed bit of advice. It's the one thing in her question that stood out to me that wasn't touched on yet (I didn't need to repeat what girlcat already said). Does that mean there are no curlies who brush or comb? Of course not.

"Shouldn't" =/= "MUST"

The OP asked for advice, I gave it. That's kind of the whole give and take here at LHC. People ask something, and then dozens of members chime in with their knowledge and advice. The OP is then able to read it all, take it in, and do what she likes.

Now, of course you have every right to chime in with your first paragraph. That's great! It's always good to have differing experiences and opinions. Not everything works for everyone, and that's the point of a forum, to give everyone a say.

Funny you didn't reply to spidermom as well. I personally like to condition my scalp. :shrug:

Sanyia
October 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I use coconut oil rather than olive oil, and only lightly oil the scalp right before I shampoo. I oil the ends maybe 2 or three times a week when my hair is dry, with a tiny amount, just enough to get my hands shiny when I rub them together.

Hope this will help you.

stephanieleigh
October 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Wow thank you everyone for all of the replies. I never realized that the olive oil could be "stifling" the scalp - I thought I was doing something great for it! And manderly & chopandchange - the advice from both of you is appreciated, and while my hair does need to be combed regularly since it tangles easily, I've never tried combing it in the shower with conditioner in. Perhaps I'll try that the next time I wash. Also, I comb from the bottom up to prevent pulling, and I do this as gingerly as possible so I know this isn't the reason why. I've been cone free for quite a while now so I'm still not sure whast the source of the splits are. I've been wanting to try coconut oil for a while now so I guess I'll start using that and MUCH less oil than I do now! Thanks guys :)

manderly
October 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Good luck to you :) :flower:

stephanieleigh
October 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Also with regards to shampoo... I just started using shampoo again this week after not using it for nearly half a year. When you guys talk about clarifying...do you mean with shampoo or with something else? I can definitely see what is meant by some clarifying being needed due to buildup of oil and I bet I really need that after all of the oiling I've done!

Athena's Owl
October 24th, 2010, 10:34 PM

I don't know exactly what in the method you were doing to cause the problem with tangles, but a lot of people get the techniques of handling curly hair wrong because they're not familiar ones, and then blame the method. I'd figure that since your hair is profiled as 2b that curly hair methods aren't actually right for your hair, so that might be part of it.

and i'm right there with manderly. This post could have been more offensive, but you probably would have needed to work at it.

Roseate
October 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'd figure that since your hair is profiled as 2b that curly hair methods aren't actually right for your hair, so that might be part of it.

I think that's probably it. It seems like 2b-3a types have varying results with the curly care methods; as a 2c I'm right on the line; some curly methods really work well for me and some just don't.

OP, if you feel like trying to type your hair a little more accurately, you can check out the hairtyping guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html) and pictures (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum23.html). And clarifying: for olive oil, I think any cone-free, SLS-based shampoo should do the trick. Some folks clarify with baking soda, but that's probably more than you need for this. Welcome to LHC!

Toadstool
October 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I think that's probably it. It seems like 2b-3a types have varying results with the curly care methods; as a 2c I'm right on the line; some curly methods really work well for me and some just don't.

That's interesting because I am a 2a and I assumed if I did them (when it's longer) they would work for me - so do they not work for wavy hair then? How disappointing!

skaempfer
October 25th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Just wanted to chime in here; like a lot of other LHCers, I've found that my hair loves deep conditioning, but my scalp really hates it. This is a problem that I still struggle with- how to condition the hair without pissing off my scalp. My scalp hates being damp! Even if it's just water. Fortunately, my hair is rather thin (ha! never thought I'd say that!) and air dries pretty quickly after a normal wash. But SMT or anything similar that means keeping my head damp and covered for more than just a couple of minutes means a couple of days worth of flakes and itching afterward.

Ironically, I've been combating this problem by rubbing just a dab of coconut oil into the itchy area, which seems to work! Go figure. :shrug:

Different meds for
different heads :D

Good luck!

chopandchange
October 25th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'm sorry that people have been offended by my advice. I can't see anything offensive in what I wrote though! Not combing is a bit like going cone-free: it's one of those "standard" bits of advice you're bombarded with when you first stumble across haircare websites like this one. All I was trying to say was that the "standard" advice doesn't work for everyone, that's all! And yes I do have curly hair. It's two different textures. The top is smoother and wavy but the underneath is corkscrew ringlets that matt together. I don't know what my exact " type" would be. Someone may have years of experience in caring for their OWN hair, but all that expertise would go down the drain if you woke up one morning and had to deal with my hair, or the OP's, or anyone else's, because different hair needs different care, and different products. Why is it offensive to say that; surely it's just common sense? Is there some kind of clique etiquette that I'm breaking? Manderley, in saying I had the right to write my first paragraph, are you implying I had no right to write the rest? I'm confused! I was only trying to help!

Back on track: OP, hope you find something that works for YOU amongst all the advice you're getting!

girlcat36
October 25th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Also with regards to shampoo... I just started using shampoo again this week after not using it for nearly half a year. When you guys talk about clarifying...do you mean with shampoo or with something else? I can definitely see what is meant by some clarifying being needed due to buildup of oil and I bet I really need that after all of the oiling I've done!

Sometimes I use 1/2-1 tsp baking soda in 20 oz of water to clarify, but usually I use a chelating shampoo once a month.

And definately look into a seamless comb. Mason Pearson makes several types, they are a little pricey(10-20$), but well worth it.
I also always sleep on a silk pillowcase, cotton causes splits for me.

Roseate
October 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM
That's interesting because I am a 2a and I assumed if I did them (when it's longer) they would work for me - so do they not work for wavy hair then? How disappointing!

You should definitely still give it a try! Some 2's do the full CG routine and are very happy with it, but it's not a given. Some parts of it (like using lots of leave-in conditioner) have been great for me. Others (like plopping/gel) are hit-or-miss.

Nothing works for everybody; I sure wish I could just follow a list of instructions and have perfect hair, but it's not gonna happen.

manderly
October 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Why is it offensive to say that; surely it's just common sense? Is there some kind of clique etiquette that I'm breaking? Manderley, in saying I had the right to write my first paragraph, are you implying I had no right to write the rest? I'm confused! I was only trying to help!

Maybe you should re-read your second paragraph. You didn't just post a differing opinion - that I can handle and welcome. You told me that I was wrong for my offering the advice I gave. That I was telling her what to do. That it doesn't work for everyone, so I shouldn't have offered it in the first place.

You don't need to get your point across by steamrolling someone else's.

Anyways, I was pretty short tempered last night, so I'm sorry. There are no hard feelings, but please, in the future, think about what it is you're saying here. Don't tell someone they are wrong for posting something, it doesn't really endear you to the poster. :flower:

Spike
October 25th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Well, no, just that results vary for us wavies.

For example--my hair must have been a petroleum exec in a prior life--it likes to be oiled. Daily. And my scalp, too--that acutually KILLED OFF my dandruff. (Not just little flaky bits, big honkin' fingernail sized monsters. I know, I know, TMI. :tmi:)

It took ages for me to finally give up on the dandruff 'poos and try a different routine. And you know what current America's take on adding oil to your hair is, right? :hatchet:

So what works for your hairtwin may work for you--and may not. Keep trying and tweaking slowly. Keep what works, discard what doesn't, and never give up on what's important to you.

:cheese:

Anje
October 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
When did you start shampooing your hair in relation to when your hair seemed weaker and you got dandruff? I ask because I tend toward having a sensitive scalp that's not fond of shampoo, and it's more likely to get flakey (and oily) if I shampoo it. So I slather it in a conditioner that doesn't cause my scalp any troubles, and it keeps it fairly moisturized and happy. (Some scalps love shampoo and some hate it. Same with conditioner and oil. There's no single right thing for everyone, and sometimes it takes a great deal of experimentation and sometimes accepting that the thing you want to work for you just won't.)

How long is your hair and how do you wear it by day? It's possible that the splits have nothing to do with the oiling, but it's tough to say for sure.

Whatever else you do, you might want to try doing a final rinse with dilute vinegar. About 1 unit of vinegar in 8 units of water, give or take. Many scalps like that sort of thing, and the vinegar smell should fade away once your hair is dry.

GRU
October 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM
You might find you're better off CO-washing more regularly, instead of poo-washing less often.

For me, my scalp gets pissed off if I don't THOROUGHLY massage it with some sort of cleanser at least every other day (preferably every day). With that being said, my "cleanser" is cheap conditioner (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner).

Prior to joining LHC, I used to wash with shampoo and then condition every other day and just condition on alternate days. After switching to daily CO-washing, my scalp has been MUCH happier... it gets more of a massaging/scrubbing action now compared to before, and that's what keeps the seborrhreic dermatitis at bay.

I highly recommend reading the Curlies and Wurlies threads here for tons of advice:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563

And if you need some laughs, check out the "curlies: brush your hair" thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003