PDA

View Full Version : terrible hairthinning

boukje
October 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hello fellow LHC' ers

I was just wondering if some of you ladies have had terrible hairthinning after pregnancy. I was trying to let my hair grow and have cut it back to tailbone several times (also short trims in between). When I was pregnant for the first time I cut from mid butt to tailbone and it was looking very nice (in my opinion), the thinning part was around hip length so it was going to right way. Then after my son was born about 4.5 to 5 months later I got a massive postpregnancy shed (also bald patches on my scalp around my face) and my hair thinned drastically, I cut my hair back to tailbone again (which was still pretty thin) for my wedding when my son was 5 months old. Now my son is 15 months old and I am pregnant with baby number 2 (halfway pregnancy). My hair is so super thin again, it looks like the thinning now starts around BSL (a little lower), so when I am back to when I joined LHC. I am not motivated at all because I know when this baby will be born my hair will be even thinner. It really looks very bad and the patches that had gone bold the hair grew back but it is only about 3 to 4 inches and very thin hairs:( I don't want to cut it back like a very big chop because I know in a year from now I have new bald patches and even thinner hair. what do you guys think? I always wear it up so that is not the real issue but it just looks ugly in general. I am quite scared it will take up to 6 or more years to let it grow nice again (if it will come back as it was). Some of my friends also have long hair but don't deal with these issues so I am really guttered my hair has to react like this. sigh.

Any tips and/or advice will be lovely,
thank you so much in advance. :)

spidermom
October 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hi! It's so good to see you! I've missed you.

Knowing what's to come, I think it would be a good idea to maintain your hair at whatever length is acceptable to you. I had short hair with both my babies. I don't remember massive postpartum shedding in particular, but I remember being dismayed that I was finding my hairs on the baby. One hair was wrapped so tightly around my first-born's chubby little thigh that it was almost cutting him. I also remember being really unhappy with how my hair looked and behaved. I didn't like how both my babies immediately grabbed onto my hair when I picked them up, either. So that was my solution - wear it short - much more convenient/easy for me.

Of course, don't go shorter than you're comfortable with, just maintain a length and wait for the re-grow. It will come.

spidermom
October 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM
PS: Sometimes those short, new hairs grow very fast. I hope it happens that way for you after the coming postpartum shed.