PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with my hair/scalp.

mommyofatoz
October 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've been a member here for a while, but haven't been around a lot lately, and have been doing more lurking, searching for something to help me.

Originally, I had fallen in love with conditioner only washing, to keep my curls tame. However, somewhere along the line, I started to have a lot of itchiness. My scalp was breaking out, itching like mad so I started to do regular washes, trying Nizoral & pert, and then I tried more natural shampoos (Aubrey organics) and when I ended up getting a swollen gland at the base of my skull, I stopped trying to figure out what the problem was, and headed to the doctor. I was told I had folliculitis, and given antibiotics...cleared it up...but it kept coming back.

I have finally got to the point where I just have to keep my hands off my head...no scratching, but it still itches sometimes. The longer I go between washes, the more itchy it becomes, so currently, I am doing daily washes using giovanni root66 shampoo and conditioner. The itchiness has minimized. I'm thinking I'm sensative to sulfates (maybe fragrance too?), and I also need to cleanse my scalp daily, to keep limit the itchies and keep myself sane. I am, however, irritated with the way my hair looks. It looks...bland? No curl definition, but I had to use all the products to get that definition. I'm trying to keep sulfates, EDTA, and parabens out of my products...what I'm wondering about, though, is cones. Would these irritate my scalp, do you think? I've been looking back at old pictures, and loved my curls in many of them, and I'm sure it's because my old stuff was full of cones. I've tired ACV rinses, lemon juice rinses, and various other ideas I have found here. While I do think the ACV or lemon rinses are also contributing to the lack of itchy scalp, they aren't doing much for my curls. The only other product I have been using is FOTE aloe gel, but even that doesn't get me where I need to be. When I really want to dress up, I pull out the "bad stuff." It has cones, but also much of the other ingredients I want to keep away from. So, are there any ideas anyone would have for me? Is there a product I can try that has cones (for my curls) but lacks other nasty ingredients? I know cones cause build up, but I don't have a problem with clarifying periodically to combat this. I would just like to have soft, frizz-free, nice defined curls without irritating ingredients!

Help me be happy with my hair again!

spidermom
October 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'd try diluting your shampoo until you find a good balance between gentleness and good cleansing. Use the CWC method (conditioner-wash scalp-rinse-conditioner again-rinse or leave some in).

I'd also suggest cone-free shampoo and conditioner, but you could try a coney leave-in and keep it (as well as conditioner) away from the scalp. I like CHI Silk Infusion for the shine and the way it helps me detangle my hair. As an alternative, to bring out curls, you could use either the aloe vera gel that you have or some other type of styling gel or curl creme, but take the time to twirl strands around your fingers to encourage the curl to form. Even at my length, I get good results with this.

anna francesca
October 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
god, i know how you feel, at least a little. I stopped using cones and sulphates and started using natural stuff, problem was the stuff didnt wash out and kept getting my scalp to be itchy and sticky. Ugghh. I recommend Urtekamm childrens conditioner after using a very mild shampoo. This stuff is so natural you have to watch out it doesnt get mouldy. Its really soothing and has nada of ansort of stuff in it.

I hope youre scalp gets better soon! And that you find a way to define your curls along the way! :flowers:

girlcat36
October 24th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I used to get what you are describing. Like pimples all over my scalp, some quite painful. Then occasionaly I would get the swollen lymph node at the back of my head.
I don't get this anymore.
I use a cone-free, sulfate free organic shampoo(diluted) and a rich cone-free organic conditioner. I do a heavy(scalp included) coconut oiling once a month. I also clarify once a month.
Even though I color my roots once a month, I still have no more scalp problems.
Honestly, even though I'm not sure exactly what it was, I have a feeling it was fungal.
Coconut oil is antifungal.
I do not use 'product' on my curls anymore, either. So except for my hair color(Natural Instincts), my hair care is pretty natural and free of heavy duty chemicals.
Good luck!

Chiara
October 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Is there any reason why you wouldn't go back to what you used to do? I mean, if you liked how it looked, and it didn't give you scalp problems, I'd say go back to the cones!

mommyofatoz
October 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Chiara--I don't know what started the problems. I had been cone free for a while, since I started the CO washing...actually before, cause I think I tried baking soda washes (eeek!), CWC, and who knows what else. Actually, I need to find my journal/blog on here. Maybe there are some clues...hopefully there will be little blue pawprints to make it obvious for me! hehehe...

mommyofatoz
October 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I used to get what you are describing. Like pimples all over my scalp, some quite painful. Then occasionaly I would get the swollen lymph node at the back of my head.
I don't get this anymore.
I use a cone-free, sulfate free organic shampoo(diluted) and a rich cone-free organic conditioner. I do a heavy(scalp included) coconut oiling once a month. I also clarify once a month.
Even though I color my roots once a month, I still have no more scalp problems.
Honestly, even though I'm not sure exactly what it was, I have a feeling it was fungal.
Coconut oil is antifungal.
I do not use 'product' on my curls anymore, either. So except for my hair color(Natural Instincts), my hair care is pretty natural and free of heavy duty chemicals.
Good luck!

girlcat--I have always loved your hair! Even way back when I first joined! I think I've tried coconut oil before, but I believe it was for my face...face didn't like it, if I recall. Perhaps I should try it on my scalp/hair...hmmm. I really think mine is fungal too, which is why I automatically went to the nizoral...however, that has sulfates in it, so I think that might have been making matters worse. I know if I did a bit of stalking you, I could figure out what you natural shampoo/conditioner was, and how you clarified, but it would just be easier to ask...;)

mommyofatoz
October 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I recommend Urtekamm childrens conditioner after using a very mild shampoo.

Is that available in the US?

mommyofatoz
October 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'd try diluting your shampoo until you find a good balance between gentleness and good cleansing. Use the CWC method (conditioner-wash scalp-rinse-conditioner again-rinse or leave some in).

I'd also suggest cone-free shampoo and conditioner, but you could try a coney leave-in and keep it (as well as conditioner) away from the scalp. I like CHI Silk Infusion for the shine and the way it helps me detangle my hair. As an alternative, to bring out curls, you could use either the aloe vera gel that you have or some other type of styling gel or curl creme, but take the time to twirl strands around your fingers to encourage the curl to form. Even at my length, I get good results with this.

Where can I get the CHI silk stuff? I've read about it on many other threads too...

ETA: Looks like Walgreens it is!

girlcat36
October 25th, 2010, 06:16 AM
girlcat--I have always loved your hair! Even way back when I first joined! I think I've tried coconut oil before, but I believe it was for my face...face didn't like it, if I recall. Perhaps I should try it on my scalp/hair...hmmm. I really think mine is fungal too, which is why I automatically went to the nizoral...however, that has sulfates in it, so I think that might have been making matters worse. I know if I did a bit of stalking you, I could figure out what you natural shampoo/conditioner was, and how you clarified, but it would just be easier to ask...;)

Thank you!!! :)

Okay, here's the lowdown on my routine.
Once a month I color my hair, so I usually shampoo with Joico chelating shampoo the night before and follow with a heavy overnight coconut oiling. In the morning I color my roots.
For the rest of the month, I shampoo 2-3 times a week with Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Shampoo. For the past few weeks, I have been adding coconut oil to this shampoo with excellent results. I have been playing around with the shampoo to oil ratio.
I rinse with a lemon juice rinse---1 tsp lemon to 34 oz water. I am also still playing around with this ratio.
Then I apply Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to the length and leave it in. Drip dry, no product---my hair is baby fine and can't tolerate it.
When my hair is totally dry, if I have frizzies I mix a dollop of aloe gel with a drop of castor oil and apply to my hair.

mommyofatoz
October 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Thank you!!! :)

Okay, here's the lowdown on my routine.
Once a month I color my hair, so I usually shampoo with Joico chelating shampoo the night before and follow with a heavy overnight coconut oiling. In the morning I color my roots.
For the rest of the month, I shampoo 2-3 times a week with Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Shampoo. For the past few weeks, I have been adding coconut oil to this shampoo with excellent results. I have been playing around with the shampoo to oil ratio.
I rinse with a lemon juice rinse---1 tsp lemon to 34 oz water. I am also still playing around with this ratio.
Then I apply Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner to the length and leave it in. Drip dry, no product---my hair is baby fine and can't tolerate it.
When my hair is totally dry, if I have frizzies I mix a dollop of aloe gel with a drop of castor oil and apply to my hair.

I have considered the Beauty without cruelty before...may have to actually try it. I had also thought about adding coconut oil to my shampoo after reading the old movies stars thread.

Thanks! I'm going to slowly change some things, that way if I start itching, I know what to blame, and if something works, I know what to love! lol Since I currently have no coconut oil, I'm going to continue with my current routine, only try to leave in a bit of conditioner, and see how that goes. If still frizzy, I may try your aloe castor oil tip...What kind of coconut oil? Can I get it from walmart, or should I get it from somewhere else?

Issmene
October 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe you can put some tea tree oil with the conditioner ^^ For me it works very well if something in my face is inflamed, maybe it works on scalp too? Anyways good look finding out what helps.

Issmene
October 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I mean tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil, not conditioner. Lol.

mommyofatoz
October 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I mean tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil, not conditioner. Lol.

Okay...that might be different. I actually DID try putting tto in my conditioner & shampoo at one time, to see if that would help. I did it when I was using Aubrey organics...but it didn't seem to help at all...:(

mommyofatoz
October 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
today, I did my shampoo, followed by the lemon rinse, then combed through conditioner, and rinsed a little so as to leave in a bit of conditioner. I then let my hair drip dry...which takes FOREVER, btw! lol, but it was less frizzy for it. Still not terribly defined, but the frizzies were doable. I did notice that the back of my hair seemed crunchy, so maybe I need to rinse a little bit longer. Because I was still a bit frizzy up top, I tried the castor oil/AVG mix, and then it started to look oily. I think tomorrow I am going to try the same thing, minus the oil, and see what AVG does alone with this routine.

girlcat36
October 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Mommyofatoz-- I think any coconut oil would be fine as long as it's 100% coconut.
You could also try a lighter oil mixed with the aloe, too.

mommyofatoz
October 26th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Mommyofatoz-- I think any coconut oil would be fine as long as it's 100% coconut.
You could also try a lighter oil mixed with the aloe, too.

Okay...just was wanting to be sure I got the right kind, when I tried it a few years ago.

motormuffin
October 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Have you tried T-Sal or T-Gel? I rotate these shampoos in and they both help with itchies. The T-Gel gets my scalp extra clean so I can only use it every couple weeks. The T-Sal I can use every couple days. I cannot get conditioner on my head or it goes badly...just on the length. You might look at that Biolage conditioning balm. I don't think it has cones but in feels like it does. I like that CHI too, I mix it with a couple drops of jojoba or camellia when I use it.

girlcat36
October 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Okay...just was wanting to be sure I got the right kind, when I tried it a few years ago.
I switch my types of coconut oil around and have never had a problem, as long as it's 100%.

Have you tried T-Sal or T-Gel? I rotate these shampoos in and they both help with itchies. The T-Gel gets my scalp extra clean so I can only use it every couple weeks. The T-Sal I can use every couple days. I cannot get conditioner on my head or it goes badly...just on the length. You might look at that Biolage conditioning balm. I don't think it has cones but in feels like it does. I like that CHI too, I mix it with a couple drops of jojoba or camellia when I use it.

I second Biolage Conditioning Balm(but it's pricey!); when I am not using Aubrey Organics, I use the Biolage.