PDA

View Full Version : A little help needed with Halloween hairstyle - lions mane

artiste
October 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone!
Halloween (my favorite time of the year) is fast approaching and I'm not really sure how to do my hair. I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would have some suggestions.

I'm going to be a homemade version of the Cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz. ( Really though, I'm just going to look like a regular ol' lion). I've got the costume and the makeup all ready to go. But I am at a loss as to how to make my hair into an awesomely huge lions mane. The bigger the better :)

My hair is almost to my waist at this point. It is very straight and fine textured, but there is a lot of it. It doesn't hold heat styling of any sort. I would like to try to avoid back-combing if at all possible ( it doesn't really hold, and absolutely shreds my ends)

So if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

* Just a funny side note - Me and my bf decided to do a couples costume this year. He's going to be.... Dorothy! teehee :pumpkin:

UltraBella
October 24th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Cute ideas for costumes !
I will just trade you my hair from my brushed out thread pictures and you can have an instant crazy looking mane for Halloween. ;)

Okay, my serious recommendation is a Caruso Molecular Hairsetter. You can buy them at Sally's Beauty supply. Use the largest rollers. Twist the sections of heir before you wrap them - for maximum texture - and then leave the rollers in a long time. Like 90 minutes. This makes the hair really fluffy for most people. Brush through the curls for volume and then flip your head upside down and hairspray the heck out of it. Aresol, not spritz. (Yes, I know, it's bad for the environment. So is driving your car, it's just for one night !) Flip your head back up and spray some more. You can lift sections and spray for height. The hairspray will wash out much easier than you can comb out evil back-combing. The Caruso is steam so it is not damaging and non drying.
We want pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and have a great Halloween :)

Calaelen
October 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I recommend doing mini braids all over your head, as many as you can do. spritzing with water, sleeping on it over night, then taking them all out the day of, and running a brush through it, you'll get some serious lion's mane poof using that technique, no backcombing or products required.

I did this exact thing one year for wacky hair day at school, and won, I was going to send a proof of results pic, but can't locate it right now.

KittyLost
October 24th, 2010, 11:12 AM
French braid your hair wet, split it into two or three, take out when dry and shake your hair about, brush it a bit to make it wilder.

When I do this I call it my shakira hair :) x

artiste
October 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna try them out. I think that I will be going with the braids, but I might have to look into those steam rollers just to have!
:cheese:
Happy Halloween all!

Rowanne
October 29th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I suggest snake waves, they're easy to do, make the hair even more wavy than braids and stay longer - at least in my hair. :)

There's a great article here on how to do them, go Articles -> Hair styling -> page 8 -> deep waves/snake waves

Or just click http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82 ;)

cybernetica
October 29th, 2010, 04:43 AM
ZOMG I loves those waves xD I think I just found my Halloween hairstyle!

artiste
October 30th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Love, love, love those snake waves! So pretty..
I think that that is one style that I will be incorporating into my style arsenal.:D
Thanks!