View Full Version : hairstyle for first day of work?

podo
October 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hey all!

Monday is my first day at my new job, after almost 2 years of unemployment. I've got my outfit, my bag, my makeup (what little I'm willing to wear), but alas, I don't know what to do with my hair!

The last time I had to worry about work hair, I could do an equilibrium bun, and that was my go-to style. I'd braid it or whatever some, too, but when I was in a hurry or just not in the mood to get up early, I'd do a quick equilibrium bun and off I go.

My hair is now TBL and that bun doesn't really work very well anymore. I tried a log roll, but it's not quite long enough for that either. My current go-to updo is Spidermom's Bun, but it doesn't stay all that well and I don't want to have to be fixing my hair all day, y'know?

So... what are some of your go-to styles? I know I will get faster at anything I practice, but I'm trying to make sure everything is as smooth as possible come Monday so I'd like a quick(ish) style that doesn't take much practice, and will hold properly at least until lunch.

If it matters, my top is lighter gray fading to darker gray at the bottom around my thighs, with black knit pants and low(ish) heels. I'm not 100% positive how business or how casual this place is with their "business casual" so I figured that was safe. ;)

Thanks everyone!

enfys
October 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hey all!

Monday is my first day at my new job, after almost 2 years of unemployment. I've got my outfit, my bag, my makeup (what little I'm willing to wear), but alas, I don't know what to do with my hair!

The last time I had to worry about work hair, I could do an equilibrium bun, and that was my go-to style. I'd braid it or whatever some, too, but when I was in a hurry or just not in the mood to get up early, I'd do a quick equilibrium bun and off I go.

My hair is now TBL and that bun doesn't really work very well anymore. I tried a log roll, but it's not quite long enough for that either. My current go-to updo is Spidermom's Bun, but it doesn't stay all that well and I don't want to have to be fixing my hair all day, y'know?

So... what are some of your go-to styles? I know I will get faster at anything I practice, but I'm trying to make sure everything is as smooth as possible come Monday.

If it matters, my top is lighter gray fading to darker gray at the bottom around my thighs, with black knit pants and low(ish) heels. I'm not 100% positive how business or how casual this place is with their "business casual" so I figured that was safe. ;)

Thanks everyone!

Totally tought you were talking about your canopy layer then. Good grief.

What hair accessories do you have at your disposal? I find the Gibraltar bun to be my most stable and quick to redo in the loo if I have to. Also, buns that start with a ponytail base can be good. Not ideal for everyday use but the pony base is a little more sturdy I think. The nautilus bun is very quick and stable too.

Congrats on your new job :cheese:

misstwist
October 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
How about a braided bun?

Pinless braided bun. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71774)

Janis Cortese's page (http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html) for very long hair office styles.

podo
October 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
What hair accessories do you have at your disposal? I find the Gibraltar bun to be my most stable and quick to redo in the loo if I have to. Also, buns that start with a ponytail base can be good. Not ideal for everyday use but the pony base is a little more sturdy I think. The nautilus bun is very quick and stable too.

I have a couple forks, lots of sticks, pins, headbands, snoods, clips.. no ficcares or any of those awesome 3- and 4-pin forks. Alas.

Ponytails give me headaches unfortunately, so I can't use them as a base. But I can usually get by without, sometimes a couple braid plaits work just as well.

I'll look up the Gibralter and Nautilus. I keep meaning to do that anyway!

And thanks! :D

podo
October 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Janis Cortese's page (http://www.io.com/%7Ecortese/hair/styling.html) for very long hair office styles.

That's an awesome page, thank you.

I'd forgotten about the braid thing where you just fold it up - that might work nicely. :D

misstwist
October 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
That's an awesome page, thank you.

I'd forgotten about the braid thing where you just fold it up - that might work nicely. :D

I'm glad you found it helpful. :D

angelthadiva
October 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
How about a braided bun?

Pinless braided bun. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71774)

Janis Cortese's page (http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/styling.html) for very long hair office styles.

Thank you for linking this!!

I'm a student, but am doing a 15-20 hour week professional internship. My hair is a bit longer than yours and what I typically do is just wear it up. I'm also doing the "wear your hair up" challenge; which I've been doing for over 1000 days now, so wearing it up is just my "go to do". ;)

Typically I will either do a cinna clippy bun, either first anchored by a ponytail OR I will just coil it around w/o a ponytail. I do the ponytail anchor about 50% of the time. I hold the bun by using small octi clips, I use 3. Or I will use about 3-4 of those Good Day hair pins, or I will use my Quattro fork. Occasionally I will either English or rope braid the tail, then bun that using the aforementioned to secure it for another look. Another style I do quite regularly is an English braid, occasionally I'll do a French or Dutch, but with those styles you can see the length. What I have learned from my internship is that hair down, even contained brings A LOT of attention :o I'm a woman of "a certain age" who doesn't cut or color, so you can only imagine the conversations ;) While I don't mind, I'd rather just work :)

Good luck on your job! :thumbsup:

Xi
October 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
This thread is helpful to me, too, Podo! Thanks :) Most work days I wear either a braided bun (which does take a bit longer in the mornings), or KarenLynn's knot for longer hair (fast and holds like a rock with a 2-pronged fork -- it doesn't budge till I take the fork out at night). I used to use the orchid bun -- it was solid and polished-looking in my hair, but it lately hasn't worked as well for me (similar to your experience with the equilibrium bun). I'll be watching this thread with interest.:drama:

podo
October 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I find the Pretzel Bun from JJJ is very sturdy as well, but I need either an inch less or an inch more to make it cooperate; right now the tail is just a bit too long to tuck properly, but not long enough for another wrap around.

I did a Crochet Bun a few days ago, but I think I'd be too worried about possible frizzies on my first day.

What I have learned from my internship is that hair down, even contained brings A LOT of attention

For real... That's why I want to keep it up. I don't mind later on, but I'm entering into a sticky situation (they are replacing people out of state with me.. but they aren't doing their jobs, so.. well...) and need to blend in as much as possible.

I'm going to do a deep treatment tonight, and then see about the Pinless Braided Bun or the Braided Fold. The Gibralter Bun and Nautilus Bun will require a bit more practice to make them hold methinks.

Jessica Trapp
October 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
ooooooooh, I gotta try some of those! Thanks for the links.

:flower: jes

BeautifulBella
October 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I think for the first day of work you should wear your hair in a bun/ hairsticks

podo
October 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I think for the first day of work you should wear your hair in a bun/ hairsticks

Yes, but which bun is the question really. There are hundreds out there, and some need certain lengths to work properly.

I'm going to try out a few and then post pics. (It's not important, but I need to get in the habit of posting pics.)

sakuraemily
October 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
How about a french twist? If that doesn't stay on your hair, you can try a high pony.

podo
October 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Pictures! (please excuse my oily hair - haven't washed out the deep oiling yet)

folded braid with a clip - may not wear this since the clip seemed like it wanted to give me a headache
http://images58.fotki.com/v696/photos/0/1708930/9139968/foldedbraidclip-vi.jpg

folded braid with a clip (side) - but the side view was kinda pretty, and I haven't worn this clip yet. Maybe later on down the road?
http://images17.fotki.com/v1621/photos/0/1708930/9139968/foldedbraidclipside-vi.jpg

folded braid with a flexi8 - I've never been able to wear my flexis, but this was very comfortable. I didn't even feel like I had anything holding my hair up!
http://images16.fotki.com/v316/photos/0/1708930/9139968/foldedbraidflexi8-vi.jpg

pinless braided bun - though I'll probably use a couple pins to keep it steady. It actually was very easy to do, and held nicely for a few moments with no pins. It wouldn't make it through more than 20 minutes or walking very far because my hair is so slippery, but yeah.. nice. I'm glad I learned this one!
http://images116.fotki.com/v694/photos/0/1708930/9139968/pinlessbraidedbun-vi.jpg

I also tried what I think was a nautilus, but couldn't recreate it once I found a better hairstick. Alas... It was fairly sturdy though.

misstwist
October 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Those are very pretty. Either would suit for work. I think I would try the folded braid with the flexi if you think that was the most secure. No good worrying about your hair falling out the first day of a new job. You will have enough on your mind! :D

What I like best about a braided bun is it's ability to look much more complicated than it is. A rope braid is especially pretty as a braided bun.

ETA--the folded braid reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k). Torrin Paige did a video of the folded braid in Masara's siggy. It's held in with hairpins. Torrin's hair is classic, maybe longer. If she can do it, you can.

She also has a pretty chignon video (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/1/1wPhqSDUtuA).

Roseate
October 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Very pretty! I wear a flexi to work a lot because I find it holds all day without any fuss, so I'll vote for that one. The braided bun looks great too, but maybe experiment with that one on the weekend or something if you feel it's not secure.

skaempfer
October 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Nice! They all look good to me.
I was thinking of a Chinese bun with two braids (not a ponytail) as a foundation. Would that work for your hair?

In any case, very best of luck with your job! :joy:

Marjolein
October 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I really like the flexi-8 version for a first day. It's pretty, but doesn't really draw too much attention. Anyway, have a great first day in your new job!! (plus great further days too, ofcourse :) )

tinti
October 24th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Maybe a cinnabun with a flexi? I have been wearing my hair like that a lot since I got my flexi, and it holds all day.

maxzeen
October 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I like the braided bun. It's simple and elegant. Good luck on your first day.

angelthadiva
October 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM
All of those look really nice :)

JulietCapulet
October 25th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I like the bun you have in your avatar...why not try that?

DecafJane
October 25th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I like them all and would run around leaping with joy if my hair looked like that. I would choose any of them, depending on which was more comfortable. :)

Marjolein
October 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
How did your first day go? And which updo did you end up choosing ??

podo
October 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I like the bun you have in your avatar...why not try that?

heheh... the bun in my avatar (crochet or chain bun) takes a bit to get right, and it would probably attract attention, which I was trying not to do my first day. ;)

How did your first day go? And which updo did you end up choosing ??

I did the folded braid with the flexi because that's the one my hubby liked best with my outfit. I did the pinless braided bun the 2nd day and he said it was perfect. Wednesday I did a flipped bun with two sticks that ended with the marble-sized pearl-looking toppers sitting flush against the top of the bun.

On Thursday I tried the pinless again and couldn't make it look right, so I did the folded braid, only THAT didn't look right either, and then a chinese bun which I don't even know what happened to. I finally ended up with spidermom's bun since I knew I could make that cooperate.

Friday was casual day so I just did a sort of messy equilibrium bun with claws since I could get away with it.

First day went really great - actually the whole week was really great. Everyone was very very nice and that actually seems to be the norm, which is a nice change. I needed have worried too much about my hair; no one even noticed it, or at least no one commented on it.

However, I'm completely drained. I was supposed to go out of town this weekend but canceled because I don't think I'd have been any use with no energy, and then I wouldn't be refreshed for next week either.

akuamoonmaui
October 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Congratulations! It's good to hear the corporate climate is positive. It must feel so good to be re employed and in a nice place!!

Marjolein
November 1st, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm happy it all went so well, Podo!! And yes, usually new situations are very exhausting. No wonder, if you think of all the new things/people/rules/routines you have to deal with. Good luck! I'm sure it will get better in just a few weeks time.