PDA

View Full Version : -cone benefit/un-benefit?

audreeov
October 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Some quick history. I've been using cone-free conditioner for a while. It didn't make my hair shiny, but it didn't give me fly-aways either, and my hair was soft and I could use coconut oil with no ill effects. My mom found Aussie Cleanse and Mend on sale (which I used to love, when I had a lot of damaged hair) and bought it for me. It has Dimethicone in it. I ran out of my cone-free conditioner and started using the Aussie. Now my hair is soft, tangle-free, shiny, but lots and lots of fly-aways, and when I used coconut oil (even a little bit) it makes my hair look greasy.

So, my question is, does this mean my hair likes cones, or doesn't like cones?

mali
October 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
It means it kinda doesn't like it.And apparently it dried your hair.I get the same thing too.:)

littlenvy
October 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Some quick history. I've been using cone-free conditioner for a while. It didn't make my hair shiny, but it didn't give me fly-aways either, and my hair was soft and I could use coconut oil with no ill effects. My mom found Aussie Cleanse and Mend on sale (which I used to love, when I had a lot of damaged hair) and bought it for me. It has Dimethicone in it. I ran out of my cone-free conditioner and started using the Aussie. Now my hair is soft, tangle-free, shiny, but lots and lots of fly-aways, and when I used coconut oil (even a little bit) it makes my hair look greasy.

So, my question is, does this mean my hair likes cones, or doesn't like cones?
Only you can answer whether your hair likes cones or not.
The reason why your hair looks oily after using cones and then coconut oil is because cones coat the hair shaft and prevent anything from getting in. Which means your hair is unable to absorb the oil and it stays on top of the shaft making it look greasy.

little_cherry
October 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
I oil and use cones without any effects..I've even hennaed a few days after using a coney conditioner... I think that "cones don't let anything in" is a myth..

I find that I don't have to use as much oil when I use cones....but the coconut oil definitely still gets absorbed by my hair, that's for sure!

I agree with what littlenvy said: "Only you can answer whether your hair likes cones or not."

Do you like how your hair feels with cones? Are the flyaways the only issue you have with cones? I get flyaways (baby hairs) and just oil them down with a tiny scraping of oil or an aloe+ coconut oil mix and don't look like I just went for a swim in an oil slick. :D

enfys
October 23rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Which is more important for you? Shine or no flyaways? Then you'll know if your hair likes cones.

I use cones and oil without problems. Maybe you need to adjust the amount of oil you use? Try just a little then add more if you want to.