PDA

View Full Version : Oils

BlndeInDisguise
March 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
When I use oils (or shea butter, which does the same thing), I put it in my hair after I've washed, and it's dried and then put my hair up and leave it up until a couple of days later when I take it down again to wash it. If I've used oil, my hair isn't crunchy, but my hair WAY less shiny than it is if I don't use oil. :confused: Does anybody else have the same problem, or am I the only weirdo? :D

Since it doesn't make my hair crunchy or anything, then I'm assuming my hair must not hate it, but since it's not shiny, does it really LIKE it?

ChloeDharma
March 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Is it the same with all oils? I do find that the shine tends to come more once i've brushed it after oiling.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Is it the same with all oils? I do find that the shine tends to come more once i've brushed it after oiling.

I find the same thing - brushing really spreads it and makes it shine. Olive oil gives me the most shine. It's almost as good as cones. If my hair has a lot of build up on it already before I apply oils, they don't work though. The oils just soak into the build-up. You might want to try clarifying first and then put a few drops of olive oil on wet hair. HTH.

spidermom
March 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I use coconut and sometimes olive oil and have been complimented on my shine.

Devon77
March 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I find Jojoba oil works best for me . It is not to heavy but I can comb out my tangles easy.

tiny_teesha
March 12th, 2008, 02:01 AM
sometimes the coconut adds a dull shine, i find. Especially when applied wet. I think that is coz maybe it is a protein??? Not sure, but if i BBB after an oil it does make the hair softer.

BlndeInDisguise
March 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM

It happens with all the oils I've tried--coconut, jojoba, olive oil....that's all I can think of now.

I really don't want to brush it out, because I don't have a BBB, and my hair breaks really easily anyway....:(

ChloeDharma
March 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM
It happens with all the oils I've tried--coconut, jojoba, olive oil....that's all I can think of now.

I really don't want to brush it out, because I don't have a BBB, and my hair breaks really easily anyway....:(

Awww that's annoying for you hun......i'm just throwing ideas out here because i can't imagine not having some oil on my hair, but have you tried doing a proper long heavy oiling say overnight then washing it out the next day? I'm thinking MAYBE given oils add softness to your hair but dull shine once applied the softening effects of that might last but not interfere with the post wash shine....possibly.....hopefully...lol

The other thing i'm thinking is have you tried mixing some oil with aloe gel? I find that if i do that then i don't risk looking oily as much from being a bit too generous with the oil if i want a light oiling, but the oil stops this weird sort of hard crunchy feeling aloe alone can give me.

Also, i hear that Broccoli Seed Oil acts very differently to most oils and gives a more "cone" impression.......if you want a leave in to protect your hair then maybe that might be the way to go? Then you could use the cheaper oils that soften for heavy oilings and that as a treatment (presuming it works) i haven't used it myself but i've seen very positive posts on broccoli seed oil on here before.

I hope something there helps :)

mira-chan
March 12th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Broccoli oil is nice. It works best for me on dry (as in dry after washing, not dry feeling) ends. Depending on what your hair likes, oils may work best when put on we to damp hair or on completely dry hair. So if you are putting in on dry hair, maybe putting oil on damp hair will work better?

For me the only time my hair is ok with oil on wet hair is coconut on wet ends, that's it. It goes dull, oily and/or crunchy if I use anything else on wet or damp/ misted hair.

BlndeInDisguise
March 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, ChloeDharma and mira-chan!

Chloe: The other day I washed my hair and then mixed up a concoction of a touch of conditioner, shea butter, coconut oil, aloe juice (not gel), and honey, and used it has a conditioner. Of course, I couldn't rinse it all out, and it was pretty oily after it dried, but I went ahead and put my hair up anyway. That was Monday, and today (Wednesday) I took it down and washed it. I didn't get all the oil washed out, unfortunately, though, so I can't be sure whether the post wash is going to be as shiny. Next time I wash, I'll make sure and get everything out.

mira-chan: I've done both, and I haven't really noticed a difference either way.

Anyway, even if I don't put oil on a lot, my hair is addicted to distilled water, and it makes it SO soft and SO shiny. :D

ChloeDharma
March 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, ChloeDharma and mira-chan!

Chloe: The other day I washed my hair and then mixed up a concoction of a touch of conditioner, shea butter, coconut oil, aloe juice (not gel), and honey, and used it has a conditioner. Of course, I couldn't rinse it all out, and it was pretty oily after it dried, but I went ahead and put my hair up anyway. That was Monday, and today (Wednesday) I took it down and washed it. I didn't get all the oil washed out, unfortunately, though, so I can't be sure whether the post wash is going to be as shiny. Next time I wash, I'll make sure and get everything out.

mira-chan: I've done both, and I haven't really noticed a difference either way.

Anyway, even if I don't put oil on a lot, my hair is addicted to distilled water, and it makes it SO soft and SO shiny. :D

I've never actually used Shea Butter but i'm wondering if that was what stuck to your hair and was hard to rinse? It does sound like a lovely mix though, i love honey in my conditioner. You might want to try adding natural yogurt too, i find that does amazing things to my hair whenever i use it :)

happylynngilmer
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
If I want shine specifically w/ moisture, I'll use shea butter. if I want moisture and some shine, I'll use Manor Hall Deep Conditioner as a leave-in. If I just want moisture, I'll use plain jojoba oil.

My hair loves shea-it makes my hair so shiny and managable. Neither of the above makes my hair crunchy, but EVOO does for sure. Too much jojoba has also left some crunchies, but I applies way too much. For oils, my hair likes it best applied wet, but it'll take shea wet or dry.