PDA

View Full Version : Any correlation between fast growers and longer terminal length?

jenjen10
October 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
Has anyone noticed a pattern between how fast someone's hair grows and how long terminal is for them? Just curious as it would seem (in my mind without any scientific basis! LOL) that if a hair can only grow for a certain period of time that those whose hair grows faster would be able to get more growth during that time... hence longer hair.

Or does the amount of time a hair will grow for vary from person to person? Has there been any research or observations here perhaps that would show which is more of an accurate predictor? Just curious...

princessp
October 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I will tell you when I get past tailbone! That is the longest my hair has ever been and at the time, I assumed it was terminal. My hair grows relatively fast (about .5 inch a month). I am really hoping now that I am caring for my hair better that I will find out my terminal is longer than tailbone. I'm past waist now, so we shall see by Spring (I hope). I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Do we have a thread on terminal length? I'd love to see pictures of all the terminal lengths here.

Heartwillfollow
October 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Think this is a great question :).. I have never been pass apl and only been to apl once in my life time.. i have a .5 growth a month from chin length to below shoulder will be interesting to see how the next year goes.

EverydayMiracle
October 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm a fast grower and have never had hair longer than TBL. However, I think that I *can* get it past that point. I just tend to get bored and cut it or got frustrated because it took so many bottles to dye it.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
I think you have to factor in more things than fast growth, like how many years the hair will grow before it stalls and sheds out, frequency and amount of trims, damage and ends breaking off, etc, etc. But all else being equal, someone whose hair grows faster than average will definitely end up with longer hair at the end of the growth cycle.

enfys
October 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
The amount of time our bodies do anything varies from person to person so it's safe to say our hair cycles vary too.

Like Spidermom said, too much other stuff factors in for it to be an absolute truth but it can be a good clue.

LaLaBella
October 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
You would probably have to factor nutrition in too. I would think that someone who eats a healthy diet, practices a good stress reduction system & gets a decent amount of sleep would have a longer terminal length.

jenjen10
October 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
You would probably have to factor nutrition in too. I would think that someone who eats a healthy diet, practices a good stress reduction system & gets a decent amount of sleep would have a longer terminal length.

That would make sense as some people shed more due to stress... maybe stress does shorten the growing time of a strand.

LaLaBella
October 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
I went through a stressful period 7 years ago and developed a bald spot that had to be covered (I used eye-shadow) until it grew back out.

McFearless
October 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
I believe there is. I don't think your follicles have any idea how long your hair is, but there is a time span of how long each hair will grow before it falls. That varies between people but I think the faster your hair grows, the longer it can be within the 4,5,6 years a hair grows for before shedding.

jenjen10
October 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I believe there is. I don't think your follicles have any idea how long your hair is, but there is a time span of how long each hair will grow before it falls. That varies between people but I think the faster your hair grows, the longer it can be within the 4,5,6 years a hair grows for before shedding.

That is what I was thinking... I think you explained my theory better than I did! :)

Igor
October 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Based on sheer math: Yes
Based on reality: We would have to ask those that have reached terminal length

There are 4 factors that determine your terminal length:
The number of hairs of your scalp to begin with (Minus the thinner, shorter stuff around the hairline we all have)
How many hairs you shed on a daily (Weekly, monthly, yearly basis)
How fast it grows
How much breakage and damage eats up your ends

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 10:18 PM

I totally agree with This ^^.

trolleypup
January 6th, 2016, 08:11 PM
All else being the same, a faster grower will have younger hair at a given length than a slower grower...and for the extreme lengths, the years of wear and tear are a factor in the functional terminal length (as opposed to the genetic ideal)

maborosi
January 7th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Good question. I think my hair actually grows a bit faster than average (I think I hit .75" in the months that it's at its fastest. But I trim pretty often, so I never see it) so I'm curious to see what this means as I'm now growing toward classic and beyond