PDA

View Full Version : Could dyeing my hair HELP thicken hair?

iluvmy67cuda
October 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Because of various medical problems, im 26 years old and my scalp is showing horribly because of the hair loss. (I have pcos, hypothyroidism, obese etc.) Theres nothing i can really do to right now to stop it, other than try to get my doctor to give me propecia. I was wondering if coloring my hair could actually help thicken the hair stands?

When i was a young pre teen i use to use Clairol Natural Instincts, and i was thinking of trying it again, to try to thicken the strands and therefore cover the bald spots a little more. I know it probably wont work, but is there a chance? Right now i use alot of Dermmatch to cover the spots, but anything that will help im willing to try. Im not ready to go into wigs yet.

Calaelen
October 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hairstylist here. Colouring your hair will not thicken it, unless you use Henna, and even then it will only slightly thicken each shaft beacuase of it's coating action.

With chemical dyes, the scales are lifted and colour is deposited into the cortex, but this doesn't thicken the hair, as it removes the natural colour from the cortex as part of the process.

Of course, the process is different whith deposit only colour, but I still don't think you'd get any thickening at all, sorry.

Have you tried anything on the market that is supposed to help with hair loss, such as rogaine type products?

Also, are the PCOS, and hypothyroidism being treated, and have they checked to make sure your in the right levels?? This really sounds like the culprit, and as I suffer from both, I know that being on the right meds pretty much eliminated the problem for me, that said, it took a lot of fighting to get a dr to care enough to make sure I really was within those proper levels, and experiment with getting me on the right meds.

amaiaisabella
October 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Mmmm, I don't think color thickens the hair so much as gives it volume, in my case. It doesn't feel any thicker but it looks "bigger". Also, depending on how your hair can take damage, small highlights will thicken the hair because the bleach roughens the strands. You could also mix salt and water together for a styling spray, which will roughen the strands temporarily and emphasize waves/curls.

iluvmy67cuda
October 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
No, it is sad how horrible all my doctors have been, they say here take these pills, and dont even tell me to checkup with them. I havent seen my endocrinologist in 2 years. They just dont care. I've been through 12 different doctors trying to find someone that cares. I have SO many health issues, its a blur, and they all seem as confused as i am. And now i found out i have polycystic kidney disease too. I NEED to find a endocrinologist i guess, that will actually care. the last year i've kinda given up on the doctors and stopped going, the pills dont help. Im gonna make a appt. next week with a new endocrinologist and see if they can help with any of it. I just dont know what to do anymore, theres so much wrong and no one cares. i try to be my own doctor but at this point i just dont know. wish me luck the next dr. will at least try to help me. in the mean while im going to consider a cheap wig possibly.

iluvmy67cuda
October 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Im on the syntharoid for my thyroid, and on birth control pills, (and about 10 other pills for variou things) you'd think that would help but it didnt make a bit of difference.

iluvmy67cuda
October 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
and what makes me super mad is that i was AT classic length, and the doctors said, 'cut off your hair and it will help cover the spots', I CUT IT ALL OFF. and it didnt make a damn bit of difference and now my beautiful length is gone. i feel horrendously ugly right now.

slythwolf
October 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hugs if you would like them. I am so sorry for your trouble.

Fractalsofhair
October 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'd suggest talking with your doctor and being a very pestery patient. That's often the only way to get a message across, since they are VERY busy and very underpaid(malpractice insurance costs a lot.), and often quite smart, so they might feel undervalued and underappericated. (though being sick is horrid!)Try to do it in a calm way, list your symptoms in a chart before you go, along with frequency.

Hair loss, how often? All the time? One season? I'm guessing it's hormonal as well, but you could easily have a scalp problem as well, which henna can help. I'd give dye a try, if you've already tried everything else. I could see the peroxide as being anti bacterial, but also damaging to skin. I wouldn't say it should be something you try ASAP though, and it could easily make your hair break off as well.

I see your hair is almost APL or APL. I think that your doctor was implying you should get a pixie, to disguise thinning hair. (I don't think it looks effective when older women with thin hair do that, but it's what a lot of people do)

Also, check the side effects of your pills to see if hair loss is an effect for any of them. Then talk with your doctor to see if it is needed(For instance, blood pressure can often be managed by diet changes and drinking more water, and cholesterol can often be managed the same way. Doctors are often quick to prescribe these drugs, for patients who haven't even tried the other changes, because it is quick and cheaper than explaining to people how to cook. There are other illnesses which are treatable in similar ways as well, I have seizures and they are currently managed by getting enough sleep.), and if it is, if there is an alternative that wouldn't cause hair loss/still be as effective.

JulietCapulet
October 22nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
All I know is dyeing hair just ruins it.

McFearless
October 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Take a deep breath. You don't need any stress in your life. Stress makes your hair fall out.
Maybe you could ask your doctors to switch medications? Many doctors don't view hairloss as a side effect. Explain your concerns.

Also what is your diet like? You might want to up your protein and veggies(loads of vitamins).
You might also want to look into vitamins, biotin specifically.

Best of luck to you<3

Michiru
October 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Have you been to this site:

http://www.soulcysters.com/

It deals with a lot of issues that women with PCOS have. I have PCOS to and I frequent the page on and off. It's a helpful site.

Denebi
October 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
If you are going to use chemical dye, be careful! If you are going to use natural herb dye, like henna, you are safe. However, I'm not sure if it will help you.

From your avatar, I see that your natural hair color is very dark, so you would need to bleach your hair before you can dye it a different color. Please bear in mind that bleaching and chemical dyeing can be harming to your hair and also to your scalp and lead to even more hair loss or hair breakage.

I feel with you, I'm recovering from hair loss right now. I try to medicate my inside and treat my outside (hair length) as gentle as possible. I would never consider something like chemical dye or bleaching, but I'm thinking about henna or cassia to strengthen my hair a bit.