PDA

View Full Version : I want this hairstyle! minus the damage!

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcMDwQvM6hQ&feature=related

I just found this 60sec "vintage" hairstyle and I think it looks fabulous!
a) Is APL/BSL hair long enough for this style
b) How can I do this without the blowdrying and overall roughness that he used to create the style
c) Has anyone tried this before? If so, how did it turn out? Do you have pictures? Or is there a thread for this and how to do it already??

My hair is currently 1in off BSL and I am trying to treat it 'like fine lace' because it is very fragile due to a bleach happy hair stylist...
I appreciate any help :D
Also, since I am documenting all experimental hair styles on youtube.. I will attempt this with a tutorial to go with it for you all to see :D

xxx

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Oh, I saw this vid too:) I have this style written down in my Hairy Book but I haven't tried it yet. I mean not exactly this one. I did something similar, but with the "bun" on the centre of my head.
Which doesn't mean I do not have an answer for one of your questions;): Probably you can make the "taking the roots up" thing with massaging or brushing your hair with your head upside down;) No blowdrying needed.
Find 15 minutes and just try it. I think it may work for APL hair...;)

manderly
October 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
It looks very Dynasty, lol.

Cute style, really annoying video :D Post pics! :D

heidihug
October 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Oh, that blowdrying "method" made me feel sick! If I did that to my hair, it would be a mat of tangles that would never come out.

Anyway, cool-looking 'do. I know for a fact I could never do it - my hair is much too fine and piece-y and floppy. It'd never stay that way no matter how many pins I put in or how much hair spray I used. I think people with shorter and thicker hair might be able to do it without blow-drying. It would be mighty hard to get it to stay, though, without at least some hairspray, methinks.

vividdreamer
October 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
*cringes at the blowdrying part*

It kind of reminds me of the styles Nicki wears on "Big Love."

I think you'd be able to do it with BSL, though your "pouf" ("poof?") may not be as...well, "pouf-y."

spidermom
October 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Definitely not a style for the likes of me. I think you could clip the hair up at the roots and let it air dry, then proceed.

Spike
October 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
It's a cute style. Essentially it's a poofy french roll at the side of the head.

I note you're boderline wavy--does your hair take curl well? Try wet-setting for extreme waviness/big curls and use a hair rat to add volume to the roll.

*Rose Red*
October 22nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
it looks great, but I think that this blowdrying would damage my hair and cause a lot of tangles. but I am intersted in pics as well :D

Hana212
October 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
It's a cute style. Essentially it's a poofy french roll at the side of the head.

I note you're boderline wavy--does your hair take curl well? Try wet-setting for extreme waviness/big curls and use a hair rat to add volume to the roll.

My hair will hold curls (never used to but it gets wavier as I get older).. What is wet setting? I can see how curls would add volume to the role.. then I could incorporate the brushing hair upside down part and maybe it would work :D

xxx

Jessica Trapp
October 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
:bigeyes: *at the brush/blowdrying part*

akuamoonmaui
October 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
Cool! But did anyone else think he was a bit "rough" with his model? Poor thing!

podo
October 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
I found a vid the other day that showed how to get a pouf with no heat.

Basically, you just take the hair, comb it (flat) a little further back than you want it, then push it forward again (giving you the pouf) and then pin it. POOF!

For this style though, I don't think you even need it. Just the roll would work I think, like a french twist?

CaliRose
October 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
It turned out cool, but I think if I followed those directions, my end product would look...not like that. :P

Jadewtch
October 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM
The hairstyle is really pretty, sadly it looks like you can't get away with not using the hairdryer. I'd never be able to get the knots out. I can't help but feel sympathy for the poor girl. The stylist seems to be just yanking away at her hair

Hana212
October 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I attempted this minus anything but my hands.. and it looked right - but I didn't have a clip to hold it in place.. will have to try it properly again!