PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar and Hair dye..

Elliarya
October 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hello! So my hair is sort of between waist and hip length I have what's apparently known as a "princess" or "hime" cut).. I've been dying it black with various dyes for almosrt 4 years..

I decided I want to do a vinegar rinse, but I don't know how this would affect the dye or whether to do it at all... plus, I was going to dye my hair again tonight, but I don't know whether to do it all together or not..

Also, my hair care routine at the moment is..shall we say.. somewhat lacking.. I have never really been the type to take good care of my appearance until recently..
I wash my hair 3 times a week maximum with some kind of strengthening shampoo, straighten only my fringe, and when it looks dull, spray some "hair shine" spray over it.. it looks alright I suppose, but not fabulous... what else am I supposed to do?

I'm sorry I sound a bit silly!

aenflex
October 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
I don't know for sure, but I don't think the vinegar used before the dye would hurt it. I never use anything for 24-36 hours after I have dyed, but that's just me.
It's hard for anyone to suggest a routine since it really differs for each person. Do you have any problem areas or issues with your hair? It's best to sort of ask directly about those to get the best answers or tips. Seems like if you've got it that long already you must be doing something right :)
As far as vinegar removing dye, I don't know if it does? I don't think it would be any better or worse than using SLS and harsh cleansers tho :)

Elliarya
October 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM
So do you think I ought to vinegar rinse and then dye my hair or would that just undo the vinegar rinse and be useless..? I'm sorry I'm so useless with this! I just don't want to waste time or vinegar.

Well.. sometimes my hair gets a little big.. and I have days when it's super dull and dead looking.. it doesn't really have any bounce in it, if you know what I mean..

CindyLea1
October 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
I have used vinegar after a temp dye. It did not take any of the dye out. Vinegar will close the cuticle, sealing in the dye.

** I use diluted vinegar, little vinegar in a full spray bottle of water. ** Sorry, I don't measure anything.

I would do the dye, then rinse as usual. After your next regular wash, use vinegar spray.

AstrayStar
October 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
I don't see why a vinegar rinse would affect dye? I use vinegar rinses each time I wash my hair, although I henna, but have never had any issues with dye release or color interference or anything. Perhaps the people who chemical dye will chip in.

Welcome to LHC! You will find lots of info here!

ravenreed
October 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
I actually think vinegar is good with dye. I was reading one hair dye company's website, Garnier or Loreal maybe, and they recommended a citric rinse after dyeing. Since citric is acidic, as is vinegar, I think you could easily substitute the vinegar in. I have been dyeing my hair a very, very long time. I am now using demi-permanent dyes and I do an ACV rinse at almost every washing because I have insanely hard water here. I have not noticed it having a negative effect on my dyes at all.

ddiana1979
October 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Uh. . . this is going to sound very weird, but I remember from dying eggs this past Spring, that it said on the package instructions something to the effect of, "For deep colors, mix the dye tablets with vinegar. For pastel colors, mix the dye tablets with water." LOL

I've never used an ACV rinse directly before or after coloring (I always wait 24-48 hours after dyeing to wash my hair), but I have noticed that when my hair is dyed black with semi-permanent dye, that an ACV rinse seems to bring out the color & make it darker & shinier.

Elliarya
October 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Okay.. thank you all for your help! My hair is now dark and shiny.. but somewhat huge.. it's just massive!
And I still haven't mastered the art of taking pictures of it... so I'll just say thank you and that the vinegar didn't wash out the dye!
Thank you!