PDA

View Full Version : Where is long hair more or less common?

buttons
May 27th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I know it's really random, but today I was talking to a friend that recently moved to Colorado and said she noticed that long hair is uncommon in her area. Most people have bobs. The main reason she noticed is probably because we're from a big, diverse city so long hair is more common.
How common is long hair in your town/other areas?

truepeacenik
May 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM
errr... I find there is a lot of long-ish hair on men and women in my area of Colorado. But, I hang with hippie types and work around musicians.
Where did your friend move? Colorado Springs? Eastern Plains?

hurricane_gia
May 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Pretty common here in Austin (TX). Of course, I also hang out with a lot of hippies, so I may not be seeing a true representative sample of the populace. But unless you go deep into the areas of town dominated by office-buildings, BSL is unremarkable. Waist-length is a little more rare, and Classic will definitely get a lot of attention.

At the garden center where I used to work, one of my co-workers had fingertip length hair. I would call her hair 1a/M/iii. Thick as a forearm, that hair! Anyway, she wears it in four separate braids all the time (to distribute the weight). One day, a customer ran into the store with a look of total panic on his face, "I need to talk to one of your employees. The lady with the long hair!" At that time, my hair was between BSL and Waist. The four other employees (one of them male) standing in the room with me also had hair that was longer than BSL. We knew that the customer wanted to talk to her, but somehow, none of us could reply. We just stood their and blinked at him. Finally, the customer did a double-take, realized that he was in fact in a room full of "long haired" people, and said, "I mean, the employee with the really really long hair. In braids." :)

flapjack
May 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Most girls my age in the LA area that I see when I'm out or on campus, have hair between shoulders and bsl. Some girls here and there have waist length. And that's about it. We're also the world capital of hair extensions, I'm convinced.

nessthing
May 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Long hair is fairly common on more middle-aged people here in northwest Pennsylvania. There's a solid minority of 40s-ish women with fairly unmessed-with, waist or longer hair. They also tend to wear mom jeans and not a lot of makeup.

Also, there's a (probably correlating) ton of men around that age or a little older with full, salt-and-pepper beards and matching banded ponytails sticking out of hunter-orange baseball caps.

I also live in a college town. I've had maybe... two sightings of longer than waist hair on students?

buttons
May 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
errr... I find there is a lot of long-ish hair on men and women in my area of Colorado. But, I hang with hippie types and work around musicians.
Where did your friend move? Colorado Springs? Eastern Plains?

She moved to Englewood.

buttons
May 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Most girls my age in the LA area that I see when I'm out or on campus, have hair between shoulders and bsl. Some girls here and there have waist length. And that's about it. We're also the world capital of hair extensions, I'm convinced.

No kidding. I have family there, so I'm there a few times a year and I swear the number of people with extensions grows. Really obvious ones, too.

mira-chan
May 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Lot's of long hair here, NYC. It also doesn't help that I'm around college campuses a lot. I'm pretty sure the business and financial district has a lot less long hair. Classic length hair is not uncommon. I see knee length on occasion. Longer is more unusual but that's normal as I don't think hair that length would be worn down that much.

CountessDeJager
May 27th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Long hair is more common inside my house than outside it. Me, my husband, a long haired cat...everybody. :) The SF Bay Area is pretty good for seeing both men and women with long hair though. The nearby city of Berkeley always has the greatest number of longhairs, even better that San Francisco's Haight area. Growing up outside Washington DC long hair was pretty rare unless I was at events like the Maryland Renaissance Festival. Summering in Maine I see some men and women with up to waist length hair but still nothing like Berkeley's appreciation for long hair on any age including some stunning heads of greys or even white.

centurytoolate
May 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I'm in the mountains SW of denver. We have every length of hair known to man or woman. The non-commercial mtn towns tend to be pretty diverse places and we've got a bit of everything.

Medievalhair
May 28th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Here in Fredrick county, VA. I run across a few longhairs. but they are only to BSL, on occasion I see hair that is waist length or longer. But there is only one lady that has Classic length and she works at my local martins.

DecafJane
May 28th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Not very common here. My hair is just past shoulder-length, and it would be considered almost long.

Flibbertigibbet
May 28th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Long hair is more popular in Mainland China, but there are still many here who treasure their long hair.

Saranne772
May 28th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Long as in APL and BSL is relatively common, but bobs are becoming more common in my area.

Phalaenopsis
May 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Here, I see a lot of APL's and BSL's. Waistlength you could start to consider less common. Hiplength is rare, although I have already seen two girls at my school with that length, maybe it's the environment.
Tailbone or longer is very rare, and I've never seen knee- or thighlength in real life.

Medvssa
May 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I can only comment on the north-east of Spain and Brabant in Belgium because that is where I have lived :) I see less long hair here in Belgium than in Spain. A lot of pixies, and also bobs, many layered cuts that, at most, barely reach BSL. Some younger girls have long hair, but it is quite rare in "older" women. I have seen waist hair only a few times in three years (and one of them is my coworker who is Brazilian) while in Barcelona it is something you see almost everyday (granted, it is a big, big city). I have seen past knee a couple of times in the street too, and everything in between more often.
People tend to have finer hair here, and I bet that makes it easier for the hairdressers to convince people that long hair is not for you! Lots and lots of people have blonde highlights, product of the hair-colored-hair syndrome, I bet.

I see more long haired men though! Actually, last time I went to Barcelona I also saw plenty there... I think they are just everyday more! :D And not only metalheads as it used to be, I think it is losing this association.

Jeni
May 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I also live in Fredrick County VA and I agree long hair, past BSL, is kind of rare. I think I have only seen 1 person (a girl at school) with hair that was hip length (or maybe TB). I wouldn't classify the area as very diverse though. I'm in Chapel Hill NC right now, between it being a collage town and having a higher % of hispanics here (then home), I have seen more waist length or longer hair here in 2 days then I normally see in a month. It's kind of cool until I realize how short my hair actually is and then I feel depressed...

Islandgrrl
May 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I see a fair amount of APL to BSL here with a few waist-lengthers and just a few classic & beyond. Whidbey Island, WA

truepeacenik
May 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
She moved to Englewood.

I live in the next town south. I see long hair.

Euphony
May 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I see a fair amount of APL to BSL here with a few waist-lengthers and just a few classic & beyond. Whidbey Island, WA
I'm close (further north) to Islandgrrl and that's exactly what I see.

One thing I do notice in the areas I wander (north Oregon to north Washington), long hair doesn't typically have an age limit. Though I do see the occasional fried, permed, colored, middle aged hair on a woman and that woman stares at my hair usually in distaste :rolleyes:

But funny thing, I also notice middle aged men stare at my hair with a slight smile, whether my hair is up or down. I always thought that was funny.

I have a friend that moved to Colorado Springs a couple of years ago that has tail bone length, straight gorgeous near black hair. She never told me that it was unusual in her area though. I think it's different parts of Colorado.

noelgirl
May 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
In Chicago I don't see a lot of very long hair; I work on a college campus, and you occasionally see some long hair among the students, but a good number of those are freshmen who after some time pull a "Felicity" and chop it. Outside campus I could probably count on one hand the number of women with past-waist hair I've seen - the longest I've seen in "real life" is a woman who was in my modern dance class a few years ago who had knee-length, and other than her I haven't seen anyone even close. Even my length (just past BSL) is rare here - except for the parts of town with a high Latin population, there's a lot more long hair in those neighborhoods for some reason.

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'd say Staten Island is a pretty diverse bunch when it comes to long hair. Then again the 5 Boroughs sure are a beautiful melting pot. I've seen every length here except maybe knee-length unless young children count. (Of COURSE they count!) :)

Shell
May 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I know it's really random, but today I was talking to a friend that recently moved to Colorado and said she noticed that long hair is uncommon in her area. Most people have bobs. The main reason she noticed is probably because we're from a big, diverse city so long hair is more common.
How common is long hair in your town/other areas?

I was in Boulder last December, and I saw no hair longer than midback. Chin length to shoulder length with lots of layers seemed to be the general style.

Around here (San Diego county), I see a fair amount of long hair. A lot of students wear their hair long. Women in their 20s usually wear their hair APL or so, maybe down to BSL, and it's heavily low lighted and high lighted. Women in their 30s tend to cut to collar or chin length, and go all blonde. I do see many woman lately in the their 40s, 50s, and 60s with long hair. They often let it go silver too. Many Hispanic women wear their hair long. Men around here also can be seen with long hair.

I rarely see anyone with classic or longer. Hips/tailbone seems to be the limit.

saracuda
May 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Western Colorado here. It's pretty common, but we have a lot of "natural" type people and hippies. I'm a natural, by the way. :)

shellblue1
May 28th, 2008, 09:43 PM
In Dallas there are lots of women with bobs and then you have women with long hair. Of course hair extensions are common here as well. One of my good friends has long, gorgeous, almost classic length hair though, which is somewhat uncommon. Long hair isn't uncommon, it's just the longer lengths that are.

Elainehali
May 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I go to school in Denver and there are quite a few girls with long hair there.

I pretty much have hair envy for a few of them. (but I'm catching up!):cheese:

honeybunch
May 28th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Long hair is quite common where I live especially since there is a Pentecostal following. :)

feralnature
May 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Long hair is common here too. I live out in a very rural area east of Austin, Texas. Not extraordinary lengths though.

Velvettt
May 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
SAN ANTONIO!!!

Short hair is absurdly rare here. Most have BSL, but seeing waist length or tailbone is not that unusual.

The only traffic stopper is long, silver hair. It's the older women (older than me and I'm older than dirt LOL) who have short hair with poodle perms.

socks
May 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Long hair is somewhat common on my college campus in New England, but quite rare in San Diego.

Beatnik Guy
May 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Long hair is more common inside my house than outside it.
Exactly. And India. :cheese:

trolleypup
May 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Areas where there are cultural groups who tend towards long hair.

In San Francisco, Asian women tend towards long hair (I counted, on my bus a while ago, and 40% (IIRC) of all the women boarding the bus had hair BSL or longer), as do hispanic and indian (american and asian), so your chances are pretty good, even not visiting the Haight.

Kiraela
May 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Down here in Louisiana, at least in my area, bsl is pretty well normal. I've seen some younger girls with tailboneish hair, and a few middle aged/older ladies with waist+(including one woman with gorgeous lower calf length hair), but in general, they seem to subscribe to the poodleperm mentality.

Queen Mab
May 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Where I live on the North Coast of California, there are long hairs everywhere! When I go to more metropolitan areas I notice more edgy bob type hairstyles and things like that.

zaftig2k
May 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm originally from Denver and have had long hair most of my life. I knew a lot of long hairs when living there, so it surprises me that your friend in Englewood (Denver suburbs) is not seeing it now. But possibly times have changed. I was born in 1953, so growing up in the 50s, 60s & 70s long hair was certainly very common. I've lived in Southern California (beachy community) since 1992 and there are a lot of long hairs here. Not as much on women my age as younger women, but definitely a lot of longer haired women.

dulce-de-leche
May 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
The part of Texas that I live in is pretty uncommon to see long hair.Most women & girls around here have that "in" cut that is up to the shoulders or shorter & cut with the blade(not sure what you call it).Seems to me that everyone has that hair cut now.

Mitzy
June 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
No one from Australia has weighed in?
We are not representing!!
I live in Perth and long hair is not at all unusual, here. I work in an office with about 10 other people and two of us have short hair. My hair is 20 inches, two ladies have Pixie length hair, one person (From the US, like me) has a shoulder length bob and the rest of the ladies have apl or longer. My boss has hair almost to her waist and the Ceo has apl hair that she wears in a French Twist or down.
My best friend has short hair, as does my mum-in-law. Most everyone else I know has long hair. My husband's hair was almost waist length when I met him, but he has cut it since. I think he should grow it back out, but, it's his hair and he does have back issues which limit his range of motion with one arm so whatever is easiest for him, I guess.
It is mostly older ladies with short hair here. It does get hot, so I guess I can see it. I like to be able to put mine up in the summer. I really don't cop any grief over growing mine out, even from the people who style it. They all encourage me (except one stylist, I don't see her anymore), like I said, it is not all that unusual here. I have seen a few classic lengths here, but mostly apl to waist. I call that long for the general populace, anyway.

Guenever
June 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM
In Odense, Denmark, natural shldr to about waist is the most common.. BSL is the winner :wink: short cuts is also very popular - and not only among women..

A lot of girls wear extentions, though, so I see quite a lot of "waist/hip" as well.. you can easily tell when it's extentions..
- And I've seen very few beyond that..
2 TB, 1 at classic, 1 at knee/calf

Forever_Sophie
June 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
In my city, some women have classic length, but it's definitely uncommon. Most women wear their hair b/w shoulder and bra strap length.

fleurdelis
June 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM
I currently live in Colombia, and ALL girls in school have long hair, mostly between BSL and waist. Thought, now there is a trend of cutting the hair shorter, to APL or shoulder and having bangs (which looks really wierd on Colombians...). Sight, it is quite frustrating after one year of growing hair, still looking mostly like short haired here and gettin comments like" Are you sure you do not want to grow your hair.." lol. In vacations in Prague and other cities
I can tell what I saw there.

fleurdelis
June 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I forgot to add, even if everyone has long hair, none has beyond waist. And for the boys, like one or two in my grade (about 120 people) has longer hair, to shoulders.

chotee
June 1st, 2008, 09:45 PM
when i go back to my home town in India, which is down-south...my hair is actually considered "short" even though its almost reaching my tail bone. Also the thickness is embrassing when i compare it with the common person on the street :steam culture and routine plays a major role i guess.

chotee

Curlsgirl
June 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM
East Tennessee, pretty uncommon in the Knoxville area except for certain religions. Many times when I go somewhere I have the longest hair and at work I pass everyone up by at least 8 inches. Most high school and college have shoulder lengthish layered hair. Older women have mostly bobs or short hair. People think I'm weird for having long hair after 40 I think. But I don't care. :D

Morag
June 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
There's a high proportion of Native American and Hispanic population where I live, and more cultural appreciation of long hair on both men and women than in many other places in the US, I think. There are lots of folks here whose hair is waist or classic - a few are much longer. I met a Zuni woman some years ago whose hair was braided with the braid folded in half, and the middle the braid still reached her knees. :smile:

girlcat36
June 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I live on Cape Cod and I see plenty of BSL to WL hair here. Very rarely do I see TBL or Classic.

SweetPea88
June 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hmm...sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in South Carolina that knows about TLHC...

I don't really see much long hair around here, BSL is probably the longest I usually encounter (I've lived here for 6 years now).

Loreyanne_H
June 12th, 2008, 03:48 AM
In Italy long hair is really really uncommon: think about, every fashion comes up and all the girls follow bobs, cuts, whatever Vogue says. My family is from Suedtirol, the southern part of Austria-norhteastern part of Italy and there is still the tradition of growing long long hair to wear in braids like the Ukranian prime Minister :)

Liluri
June 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
No one from Australia has weighed in?
We are not representing!!

Hiya! Since moving to Perth I have seen many more long hairs here.

Newcastle, where I moved from, is a large regional Town was very different. There was an American trashy talk show style hair (sorry that's the only other place I've seen this do) Where they have a fringe plastered down at the front and then the rest of the hair is about an inch or 2 long and spiked. With bits of colour, from blonde to burghandy patches. I saw many women with this particular hair cut it seemed to be a regional thing though. Not many long hairs there, some but not many.

Sorry I got extra explainy there :D

Siava
June 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hmm...sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one in South Carolina that knows about TLHC...

I don't really see much long hair around here, BSL is probably the longest I usually encounter (I've lived here for 6 years now).

Howdy, neighbor! :) Whereabouts? I work in Charleston, but live out in the sticks off the map.

I have a friend with classic length. Hers is the only one I've seen around here. I've seen a lot of BSL and a little longer from the South American immigrant women and the occassional caucasian, but mostly what I see is the same as SweetPea88.

Newniepg
June 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Not too many long hairs in the valleys of South Wales. Long here seems to be shoulder length, I have seen the occaisional tailbone length though. Of course, if I ventured towards Cardiff I would probably see more due to the student population. :) This is a very interesting thread.

nomadhome
June 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM
East Tennessee, pretty uncommon in the Knoxville area except for certain religions. Many times when I go somewhere I have the longest hair and at work I pass everyone up by at least 8 inches. Most high school and college have shoulder lengthish layered hair. Older women have mostly bobs or short hair. People think I'm weird for having long hair after 40 I think. But I don't care. :D

Pretty similar for another part of TN-- middle TN/Nashville where I live. College girls here occasionally reach BSL, but I have seen maybe four people with hair longer than mine here. One is a hippie-ish friend of mine who is also not from this area and the other 3 were 40-50-ish women. Two of those women were not spotted in downtown Nashville, but in a somewhat more rural area. One was in a grocery store and one was in a trailer park. The last woman was in the same age range, had totally fried straight-ironed and dyed hair and was in a kind of young-ish pub closer to downtown.

W. J. Maria
June 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
My very rough impression is that in general. long hair for women is: more common in the Southern US than in the Northern US (and Canada), more common in the Western US than in the Eastern US, and then by implication more common in California and the Southwest than elsewhere in the US.

Long hair more common in the South might have to do the fact that in the South there are more conservative Christians who follow to the letter what Paul said about long hair in 1st Corinthians.

Long hair more common in the West might have to do with: more hippie types.

Long hair more common in California and the Southwest might also have to do with the large populations of Native Americans and Hispanics, groups who culturally like to grow their hair long.

Starr
June 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Long hair is fairly common here in California. . . I see quite a bit of hair between APL and Waist. Although it's not out of the ordinary to see tailbone, but usually nothing longer than that.

flapjack
June 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I think a lot of long hair in southern california is not solely due to two cultural groups. Most of the girls I see with long hair are of european descent and where I live it's very mixed culturally and ethnically.

Cantabile
June 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Long hair seems to be very common in the Bay Area. Men and women alike, of pretty much any race and age. Long hair seems to be especially common on the college campuses, even amongst professors who I've spotted sporting buns, and classic length hair (this was on a student teacher actually).

froglet
June 13th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Long hair is quite common here, I believe. Tampa is pretty diverse so you can see pretty much everything.

If I had to give a totally unscientific percentage split I'd say (for females) it is about 50-50 short haired vs. long haired (longer than shoulder), with the 75% of the longhairs being BS or shorter, 20% being between BS and classic, and 5% being below classic.

jesamyn
June 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Here in El Paso, long hair seems far more common than in many places that I've been. I think APL-BSL is more common than bobs (seems like it at least), and I've seen two different women with classic in the last two days around town. I know we used to have a lady in our building before we moved the office with knee-length. While these are isolated incidents, my point is simply that it's not at all uncommon here.

Curlsgirl
June 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I don't know about religious groups meaning more long hair because I live in a city where there are probably the most churches per capita than anywhere and as the girl from Nashville said we have very few long hairs at least that we see and I am out in the public very frequently in all parts of the city and smaller outlying counties.

GlassEyes
June 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Around here there's a lot of long hair actually. I think the average would be about BSL, but there are a LOOOOT of girls with at least waist.

I knew some girls with hip length.

Shiin
June 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'm in Israel right now visiting family and it's long hair galore - bobs and cuts above the shoulders are rare from what I've managed to see (usually on grandmothers or women in their 40s).

Waist seems to be about average and there were a couple girls I've seen with TBL :grin:

honeybunch
June 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Areas where there are cultural groups who tend towards long hair.

In San Francisco, Asian women tend towards long hair (I counted, on my bus a while ago, and 40% (IIRC) of all the women boarding the bus had hair BSL or longer), as do hispanic and indian (american and asian), so your chances are pretty good, even not visiting the Haight.

That's true a lot of times in my area,too. I notice quite a few Far Eastern women with long hair. Not too long ago I saw an Asian lady with hair down to her calves!

I could agree that long hair may be more prevalent in the South and for religious reasons. I know there is a large Pentecostal following. Not only do they have long hair, some have gair that is knee length and beyond.

susiemw
June 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I've lived in Alaska three times... long hair is very common there both in the Alaska Native population and the non-native population. Alaskans in general tend to buck trends and that obviously includes the trend to cut ones hair. :)

Susan

Riot Crrl
June 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well Seattle has a little bit of everything. SL and flatironed is a common sight, but something like waist is not very unusual. Extreme lengths are not totally unheard of either, especially if you go to something like the Folk Life Festival.

Shell
June 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hawaii is also a good place to look for long hair. When I was there last year, and on previous occasions, I saw a lot of waist to classic. Also, as far as Christians go, it really depends on the variety. Most of the families as my son's school are conservative Christians, of the mostly Baptist variety I would guess, and all of the men wear short "man cuts" (you know what I mean!) and the women have soccer mom cuts: chin to collar, and bleached and permed. A few wear their hair to BSL, but that's quite unusual. The few "Pentecostal types" around here don't even show their hair, so I have no idea how long it is.

I do agree with the assessment that my area (So. Cal., and the Southwest in general) have more than our fair share of long hairs. Not that I'm complaining. :twisted:

vidgrl007
June 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Sweetpea,Siava,we are neighbors:):cheese:.I live in the mackbee area.

I've seen one woman with waist length hair.most of the hair I see is pixie,shoulder,or bsl.

bunnii
June 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM
here in torquay, devon, uk :D there's not many longhairs around. I can only remember seeing 4 with hair longer than mine, not that they're not here i just haven't seen them. But it makes me feel better about my hair that its amongst the longest where i live :D:D

heidihug
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Among people over college age, long hair (past BSL) is very rare here (NE Wisconsin). Among younger women (say, 14 to 30-ish), the most common style by far lately seems to be the shoulder-length razr cut with a sideswept fringe and some highlights. Among women over 30, the short layered (what some people call the "soccer mom") style is most common. With highlights, of course.

I get odd looks all the time when I wear my hair in an un-bunned braid, as it reaches my hip now. I never wear it down in public, so I might get even more interesting looks then. Will have to do that, perhaps, when we have our possible Green Bay meet in August. It's always nice to upset some people's idea of the status quo, hee.

harpgal
June 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Where I live in Montana, very few of any age have hair longer than mid-back to waist. I have yet to see someone with hair longer than mine. Although, at my local co-op, I have seen some waist length silvers. They are very beautiful. Most everybody in my age group looks the same....very short, with highlights or dyed.

The college kids seem to wear hair about mid-back length.

I really think that it has something to do with living in a very dry and cold climate. Taking care of long hair in this neck o' the woods is difficult.

Delenn
June 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm about an hour west of DC and hair to the lower back region is fairly common. I'm starting to step over into the "uncommon" category however I regularly see older men with braids that reach TB or longer.

There's a large hispanic population nearby, I don't see too much in the way of long hair. And the Korean population here sports short, trendy styles which I drool over but know my hairtype is completely wrong for what they're doing.

Hypatia
June 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Small town in Central Oklahoma has a lot of long hair. 2 out of every 3 people, I'm sure. There seem to be just as many in the larger towns, and in the parts of OKC that I've seen. It's more unusual here to see hair shorter than the BSL. And that is for women, men, children, seniors, and horses. :)

freznow
June 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
High school 8)

At least at mine. It's more common than outside of high school, around here. But this is a very multicultural 'do whatever you want' kinda place (I'm pretty sure most of Virginia is like this too) so there's long hair rather abundant outside of it too.

wendy645
June 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I live in Northern Arizona surrounded by the Navajo Nation which also contains the Hopi Reservation. Super long hair is actually fairly common here, but it doesn't stop me from gawking. Mine is to my bumcrack, and I plan on going to the bottom of my... lower cheeks LOL

Plus, the Native Americans' hair is amazing... thick and strong and luxurious just to look at, I can't even imagine having that... *sighs*

fireflycatching
June 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I'm in Montreal, Quebec and as someone has already mentioned, the shorter razor cuts and bobs seem to be more and more popular. It's not uncommon to see someone with longer hair here though, but classic or longer is rare though I have seen some!

I must have started some sort of trend in my school environment :P When I first grew my hair to my waist a year or so ago, I was the only girl in my high school with "long" hair. Now I got my friend to grow out her pixie cut, and now it's almost to her hip (took her less than 2 years!), and my other friend has beautiful BSL red hair. Let's infect everyone with Long hair-itis! :D [/random anecdote]

Paniscus
June 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Hi Neighbor :waving:

It's funny how two people living in the same city can have different views; I guess we run in different circles. Granted, I don't see extreme long hair here often, but I do see a lot of APL and BSL hair. Also, downtown and on campus, I see a lot of waist length hair, especially the artsy folk. I do have to agree with you Curlsgirl, that some of the older women with long hair do seem to have it due to their religion. And it's usually in some intricate bun configuration (I'm updo inept) and very pretty.

Then again, if we're talking about percentages, maybe I'm just more aware of people's hair when I see long hair. Maybe I'm just passing over (ignoring) the thousand heads of short hair here? :knuckle:

You know, I've even seen a Ficcare once or twice. Hmmm... maybe that was you! :)

Cinnamon.locks
June 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Where i live it is more commong to see very long hair (below waist, from tailbone to knees.) but maybe it is because i live in an area that has alot of native americans and others that live a more "nature oriented" life. ( more people live with basic comforts and amish/menonite style life.) so i guess it is normal to see longer hair.

Alun
June 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
In Maryland I guess the amount of long hair on both genders is pretty average, and that's even true in downtown DC. By this I mean 2-3% of guys and maybe 50% of gals with hair at least to their shoulders.

However, I recently made a trip back to England, and was amazed (or truthfully rather shocked) by how many more guys had shaved heads.

Mind you, I spent most of my time in what I would call the outer parts of East London, an area I left when I was only 8 and moved further out into Essex. I would guess that most of these guys were trying to be macho and promote some kind of East End tough guy image, i.e. trying to look like they were from some deprived inner suburb and eat nails for breakfast, when in truth they were outer suburbanites with white collar jobs.

Almost the only blokes I saw there with much hair were the teenagers, who mostly had shaggy hair that barely reached their shoulders. I also saw one guy who looked about my age (50) with long (grey) hair down his back, working on Romford market, wearing a Motorhead T-shirt and leather jeans, and another guy about 35 getting on a bus with hair over his shoulders.

The older women all seemed to have pixie cuts, and the young ones mostly BSL.

In other parts of the London area it was much more normal. Maybe the East Enders watch too much East Enders, LOL! (Actually, we wouldn't call it the East End unless you were within the old County of London, which isn't the area I'm talking about, but it sounds good).

smilelads
June 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Lot's of long hair here, NYC. It also doesn't help that I'm around college campuses a lot. I'm pretty sure the business and financial district has a lot less long hair. Classic length hair is not uncommon. I see knee length on occasion. Longer is more unusual but that's normal as I don't think hair that length would be worn down that much.
Interesting...I've never seen that much long hair in the city...as in hair down to the waist and longer. Usually I get stares and such, but it'd be wonderful to see another long haired female :)

Sana
June 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Kerala I guess:D I mean I have seen long hair all over in India but when I went to this southern indian state, I was amazed at all the long hairs..mostly 2c, 3as , wet, classic length hair on almost every woman!!! It was just amazing.

Also where I live, my neighbor has tb length hair & it's probably the thickest braid I have ever seen:bigeyes:

Robbi Dehlinger
June 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hi!

Holy smoke, has Bill got some hair or WHAT? Nice long haired gang their:)

Robbi

:D

Long hair is more common inside my house than outside it. Me, my husband, a long haired cat...everybody. :) The SF Bay Area is pretty good for seeing both men and women with long hair though. The nearby city of Berkeley always has the greatest number of longhairs, even better that San Francisco's Haight area. Growing up outside Washington DC long hair was pretty rare unless I was at events like the Maryland Renaissance Festival. Summering in Maine I see some men and women with up to waist length hair but still nothing like Berkeley's appreciation for long hair on any age including some stunning heads of greys or even white.

Beatnik Guy
June 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
However, I recently made a trip back to England, and was amazed (or truthfully rather shocked) by how many more guys had shaved heads.
I think (or maybe imagine?) that this is becoming a bit less common. When LadyGodiva and her Hubs were in the UK a couple of years ago, they asked if this was "a work thing"; with :rolleyes: I had to advise that it was a "fashion thing".

As Guru Hari Georgeson said though, all things must pass. :cool:

mamachanse
July 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I live in the suburbs of the Phoenix area and see trendy short cuts everywhere! I have had quite a few fabulous hair sightings in the past couple weeks of women with hair between waist and classic. I was actually shocked that all of them (probably about 8 total) were wearing their hair down since it is so dang hot here. I have waist length hair and it is always the longest in my group of "thirtiesh mamas with young kids." Everyplace I take my kids, we all have the longest hair(well, at least me and my two older boys-baby just has fuzz LOL)!

Ven
July 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
It seems like I am seeing longhairs all over the place, but maybe I just did not notice them before.

I personally know three women at work with straight, tailbone length hair and it seems that there are a lot of women with BSL hair too.

Just this week, I spotted a classic length wavy at work!
There is another classic length wavy at my local grocery store too.

So much hair inspiration!:)

~Ven

GlassEyes
July 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Long hair is pretty common here, with BSL being the standard.

There are a few long LONG hairs here. There's about two girls who I went to school with classic length.

Silky Siren
July 11th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I'm in the mountains SW of denver. We have every length of hair known to man or woman. The non-commercial mtn towns tend to be pretty diverse places and we've got a bit of everything.

I think the more glittered and glamoured (commercialized industries) the area is (but also type of woman), the less long hair is chosen as a hairstyle.

Long hair has something romantic and mysterieus. Not the trend for today...:poot:

Amoretti
July 11th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Here in the Barcelona area most teens have BSL hair although it is usually razor cut and has those heavy sideswept bangs that cover half of their faces. It must be very hard to go through ones life with only one-eyed vision! LOL.

The twenties group usually have shoulder length hair which is highlighted or dyed. Not much effort is made to grow longer hair, it seems. Women seem to prefer a trendy look.

The thirties group usually has neck length, razored hair that is also highlighted, sometimes with contrasting colours. Again, very trendy. Bangs are in right now.

Then you get women in their forties and up: short pixies are the norm. They are usually coloured lighter than the owner's original colour. Older women have very short, dyed hair.

As someone with classic length hair who is 43 I am an oddity. LOL. I haven't seen anyone here with longer hair than me, actually. I always wear it up so if someone ever gets to see it down they literally gasp. :) I have been told to never cut my hair and I've also heard women saying they wish they could have long hair. I always wonder why they don't let it grow then. I think many women give in to the pressures of society to look trendy. Being fashionable is very important here.

Paradise Lost
July 11th, 2008, 05:28 AM
In France, long hair is fairly common. It may not be the majority, but I often see women with hair between BSL and waist length. Tailbone and longer is pretty rare though.
I lived one year in Sweden and I noticed that hair longer than shoulder blades length was really not common. My hair was between waist and tailbone at that time and I didn't see anyone with hair longer than me during the whole year! But I saw far more men with long hair that I do in France!

harley mama
July 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I don't know if long hair is getting more popular or if I am just more aware of long hairs now!
If I am out and about I will usually see several long haired people. The neat thing is that I am noticing more men with longer hair now!

lady_hero
July 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm between Austin and San Antonio ( sorta in the boonies. we do have a Wal Mart :D ) I see long hair (BSL+) fairly often. Maybe it's a Texas thing :D

brightonwoman
July 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I live in rural Alaska, and I see a lot of long hair here--men and women (I see lots of beards too). I suspect it has something to do with non-availability of hair salons/stylists...long is easier to maintain on your own. :cheese:
OK, well, when i say 'long' I mean waist-ish length...not super long (if it were super long it'd get caught in the fishing gear. LOL!)

thankyousir74
July 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm in Miami and that long hair summer/highlight layered heavily product/damaged hair is pretty common. When I see someone with LHC quality hair I'm just astounded and usually give them a hair compliment (people appreciate it more when its from strangers, I think).

Fireweed
July 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I live up in northern Canada. Most have bobs with highlights, there are a few with APL and BSL. If I go to the reservations I well see lots of TBL and some classic.

dor3girl
July 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM

So true--I have seen so many bad extensions--(I am in so-cal)--it's rare to see people with waist length or longer--probably cause you can't BUY that length!

Country Cowcurl
July 16th, 2008, 04:35 AM
pretty common here.....i live close to an indian reservation ;)

Monsterkitti
July 16th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Most people in my town in Surrey have hair to about shoulder length maybe down to BSL but not many further than that. Its all about the staightened look with lots of layers and a fringe over one eye here still :)

If I travel into London theres much more variety on hair length but still dont think Ive seen past waist. Maybe I havent been looking properly though :)

happymommy
July 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Back home there is an extremely large Pentecostal population so about half the girls I went to school with had classic or longer. Seeing buns the width of the head in the older women is usually the norm.

bkitty09
July 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I have seen one woman hear with TB, and there is some pretty long hair in the mennonite communities. The longest usually runs BSL.

Speedbump
July 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hair between shoulder length and waist length is actually fairly common here. Once you get past BSL, the number of people goes down dramatically. Usually it's younger women or girls who have it that long. There are definitely some longhairs in my town, though. Since I joined LHC, I have seen one that is floor length, and at least three who were classic, and probably 10 who are hip -> tailbone.

Takethevitamin
July 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I see more people with long extensions than long healthy hair here. Those who have genuine long hair here usually leave it greasy, unclean, and the ends all straggly. Gross.

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I live in a smallish rural Georgia town and around here, I get alot of attention for havir "long" hair. (I really don't consider my hair to be long enough to evoke that kind of response) Most women here have short to shoulder length hair and I haven't seen a single man with hair past the nape of his neck in the 2 years I've lived here!

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't live in a big metropolis-type area....I'm in a quad-city area, where 4 small cities sandwiched together around a river call ourselves "The Shoals Area". So we consider ourselves all one big city LOL. Anywho, long hair is not super-common here either. Most of the time when I'm out, I see BSL or shorter hairstyles, on either women or men. There is the rare occasion, probably every 2 weeks or sometimes longer between, that I will see someone with hair as long as or longer than my own.

steff8ryan
March 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
There's not that many long haired people in Manchester. The lady accross the road from me has hip length hari though and is soooo healthy. Lots of the asian women have super long hair. I rarely see a man with long hair tho, i'm trying to tslk my OH into growing his but he isnt having any of it. xx

Copasetic
March 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I live in southern Ontario, and I have seen a few people with waist length hair recently. But for the most part I see girls with hair between their shoulders and bra strap. When I see hair longer than that its a bit of a shock.

enfys
March 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
In my area, where there's a million universities, you don't see a lot of long hair. Unless they're Indian you will rarely see someone with hair past BSL, and even less often pat waist. I mean once or twice a year. Except I'd see it every day on myself.

Past sixteen most girls cut to APL or so, then shorter from there. Young stoner men will often have scruffy longer surfer hair, but again you rarely see long hair on men.

There's loads of bad blondes, bad bobs (on ladies) and shaved heads (on men)

To think the Welsh were Celts!

IndigoInk
March 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
It's pretty common out here (Oklahoma). Mostly it's APL to BSL though. We do have a lot of groups that grow their hair long for religious reasons too. I have noticed the average length getting shorter though recently.

princess
March 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I am from India and I grew up around long haired people. Nowadays even in India it is mostly BSL or shoulder length. But still there are many who have long hair like waist length or more.

When we were young not many people even trimmed their hair and I have seen very few bobs or less except in very big metros and also among movie stars.

viking_quest
March 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
I live in Las Vegas and see a fair amount of long hair, but the longest I've seen is classic when braided. If you really look around a lot of people have hair that is waist to tailbone.

Alaskanheart
March 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Im in ANchorage AK , APl and BSL seem to be the norm here, short hair like pixies are pretty rare for me to see, waist and beyond are not common, but I have seen some . Theres a fair share of men with shoulder length and beyond as well.

Im from Southern Cal and theres alot of "long' hairs there , but I think the closer you are to Los Angeles theres a bigger likelyhood of long hair being extentions.

Finoriel
March 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
How common is long hair in my area? Depends on what one considers long hair :wink: covering the ears :p or ones behind?
I would say long hair is uncommon to not existent in my area. Guesstimating now, but I assume itīs less than 10% of the adult females who live here have longer hair than shoulder length and maybe 1% who has longer hair than BSL.
For girls and younger teens shoulder length to BSL is somehow more common, but the majority of them wears a haircut above their shoulders.

laybackspin1993
March 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Here in north west england, very few people wear it past BSL, most girls have their hair about APL length. Lads either have it very short or grown out to around their ears/chin. Long long hair isn't very common!

Jules diamond
March 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I don't see very many in austin, barring two or three students. One guy is tailbone, and I keep chickening out of complementing him. Most of the girls are between shoulder and BSL.

Themyst
March 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
There isn't much racial disparity where I live. With the Caucasians, long hair is practically nonexistent. Looking around, it appears there must be a rule that when you get married or turn 30, you must get the old lady bob chop. It's so strange - I cause quite a spectacle when I go out with my hair down.

The most long hair I've seen here is with the Native Americans - both sexes. :) It's nice to see.

I used to live in Colorado - both Denver and the central mountains. I saw a lot of long hair there - mostly just BSL on men but then I hung around a biker (not bicycles!) crowd.:cool:

BranwenWolf
March 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My college campus is overrun by short bobs with those sideswept bangs. The art and music departments seem to have more longhairs.

Locally, I love going to Ren Faires or Scotfest because I don't feel out of place. :) There's something about long hair and Ren Faire clothes!

BritHair
March 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hello, I live in Northern Michigan, USA. I see a lot of long hair on ladies in my area, usually BSL.

Long hair on guys too, including my son :)

Debra83
March 24th, 2009, 10:37 PM
the majority of women in this town have long hair.

Helen Baq
March 25th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Here in Seattle I see lots of folks with long hair. My boss has hair down past his butt! I've seen lots of TB to classic about equally on men and women. I've seen lots of older women with silver to white locks. One older woman I used to see all the time had a bun of white dreadlocks on her head about two feet tall! Most long hair I've seen has ranged between APL and classic, though I have seen a few people with longer hair and one girl with super thick mid-calf length hair. A lot of the folks here with really long hair are Native American or Eastern Indian.

Drynwhyl
March 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
It's fairly common among younger people (but not super-long hair, i mean maximally waist).
But if you're older than 30-40 and have longer hair than most others, you're instantly marked as a drug addict and\or cultist xD

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I live in the county of Devon (England), and long hair used to be very common down here - even just five years ago. However, it is certainly becoming a lot more unusual down here. (And by long hair I mean the full-on waist length style of hair). I suppose the fashion is just slowly changing.

Heavenly Locks
March 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Here near Tokyo, the Japanese nationals are either above shoulder, or below BSL. There are a LOT of very long hairs here. :) I notice the shorter haired ladies are all 'older'...I wonder culturally, what the "cut off" age is?

joyfulmom4
March 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I live in west-central Wisconsin. Long hair varies by cultural sub-group here.

We have some conservative Christian denominations which wear long hair, generally in updos (some groups also cover hair). They are a small minority, but are highly recognizable by their characteristic style and appearance. I also tend to run into them more than the average person b/c I sew a lot and apparently they also sew for themselves.

Another minority group among whom long hair is common are the southeast Asian women. The older and more traditional women frequently wear long hair. I tend to see the younger women following the same trends as peers their age, rather than their traditional styles.

That's it for the really long hair, waist length and beyond. You rarely see anyone with hair beyond waist length excepting those groups. However, long hair between bsl and waist seems to be popular among teens and college students. Most women older than that seem to sport shorter hair, shoulder length or shorter.

Akiko
March 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I live in northern Virginia. I don't think long hair is common here. But I notice quite a few Indian ladies have very long hair, usually single braided.

I wonder culturally, what the "cut off" age is?

I hear it's mid-30's to 40's. However, if you put your hair up, people don't seem to complain much. Especially older ladies with an updo in kimono look very attractive, I think.

Alia
March 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Long hair is fairly common on more middle-aged people here in northwest Pennsylvania. There's a solid minority of 40s-ish women with fairly unmessed-with, waist or longer hair. They also tend to wear mom jeans and not a lot of makeup.

Also, there's a (probably correlating) ton of men around that age or a little older with full, salt-and-pepper beards and matching banded ponytails sticking out of hunter-orange baseball caps.

I also live in a college town. I've had maybe... two sightings of longer than waist hair on students?

You must be in Edinboro, I'm guessing--I'm south of you in Meadville. Here, the 'Mom Jeans' crowd seems to prefer tired, shoulder and shorter mullets and chunky sweatshirts. We have a lot of Pentecostal, Mennonite, Amish, etc, so there's a lot of long hair, mostly in updos and some covered. Absolutely no one wears hair sticks or forks.:(

neon-dream
March 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hm, there's not many here in Newcastle either.
Except extensions >:[

Asha
March 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
In my area of northern Minnesota I find its very rare to see really long hair. In highschool only like 4 girls had hair below their shoulders. And as far as older adults go I haven't actually met a women or man with hair below BSL. Most women fall into a oh I got married i have kids long hair is too hard. And as far as men it's really rare the only man I know with long hair (waist length) is my brother in-law, who actually inspired me.

rags
March 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well, I do see some long hair around here (Northeastern TN). The college kids tend to have between APL and BSL - never seen longer than waist on them.
But we have several fundamentalist churches, and a Mennonite church. I belonged to one for several years, and I happen to know that the little silver haired ladies in updos have VERY long hair (some floor length -it's never been cut in their life). But, of course, you never see it down, and most people have no idea how long it really is.
Other than the church people, I've seldom seen longer than waist in my many years of living here.
And almost all of the women my age have shoulder length or shorter. Thinking.....no, the only women I've seen over 35 or so with longer hair attend the church.

dancedancedance
December 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
south eastern pennsylvania (philadelphia suburbs)- I see more hair waist length or longer than I see shorter than shoulder length !

akuamoonmaui
December 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
On Maui long hair is everywhere. Mostly women whose hair is predominately BSL or longer, a lot of men have long hair, too. Of course most little girls have long hair and there is a small percentage of boys, too ~ usually their hair is APL or longer. Super short/pixie hair is not common at all. Usually it means you're a tourist or you got a really bad hairdresser - bobs are about as short as it goes and are a trend for some people.

castano
December 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
As a French representative I could say that it is pretty uncommon to see women and men wearing hair longer than BSL. Especially in big cities where they are all busied with their job which takes all the time. Without mentioning that pollution doesn't help maintaining healthy long hair. I suppose it's not necessary to say that it's even more rare amongst men.
It seems like it's a bit more common in the country, though.
I think I never saw someone having hair longer than classic length in France, except tourists!

myria
December 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Its rare to see it below bsl here (Belfast). It seems to be bleach blonde/dyed red, layered, shoulder length and in a ponytail until you leave school/have kids then cut into a bob/pixie. :(