PDA

View Full Version : Prom hair dillema...

Dreams_in_Pink
October 21st, 2010, 06:55 AM
On saturday, we have a wedding to attend and i don't know how to prepare my hair for that.

First of all, i cannot go to salon. Let me explain: My hair is two-toned now, roots (overgrown) are dark ash brown (virgin) and ends are slightly darker brown. I also want to wear my medium golden brown clip-in extensions. The second i enter a salon, i know they will tell me that they have to DYE my whole hair AND the extensions and then put the extensions in to give me a haircut with them on. This would probably look awesome, BUT
1)I don't want to get a haircut
2)I don't want my virgin roots to be dyed
3)I don't want them to curl my hair with irons!!
4)I cannot afford all these!!! (It would cost me over 200 dollars, considering i'm allergic to regular chemical dyes)

So i decided to do it all myself. To rehearse, i wet-set my hair and the extensions and then let them sit for 5+ hours. I also bought a hairspray for a fool-proof finish. The problem here is that the climate is so humid here that my hair didn't dry!! What happens when hair doesn't dry? Heat-styling :( (Dry-setting is not an option for prom styles as they don't last long on my hair) My hair came out okay but i had to use some HEAT on it...Plus, the extensions also lost the curl despite all the spraying.

Now, which route shall i follow?

For the record, i don't want to have my hair up.

torrilin
October 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Define didn't dry? I usually figure my loose hair will dry completely in about 2-3 hours in the LA desert, about 4-5 hours in somewhat more humid Madison, and let's not even think about how long it takes in Central PA summer humidity (over 6). That's at BSL too... it puts my hair on the slow drying extreme, for sure.

What I'd do if I wanted my hair down and curled is do rag curls or pin curls. Due to how my hair works, I need to allow 6+ hours of drying time, so I'd probably end up sleeping in pin curls.

angelfell
October 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
You know that thing they got going on here, where you wrap your hair around the fabric and it gives a really define S-wave? (Yeah I forgot the thread :p) I think it would look reaalllyy pretty on your hair and extensions :) And nice for a wedding, especially if you just swipe some from about your temples and back, and clip it back there with a decorative.. thingamabob, that matches your dress/suit.

pepperminttea
October 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Rag curls? If you do it on hair quite close to being dry, it should still hold.

BrightEyes7
October 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Try waiting until your hair is mostly dry. This is one thing that worked best for me. Wait until your hair is about 90% dry then put in curlers. Wait the 5 hours as before.

Hopefully that will help with your not drying issue.