PDA

View Full Version : We're still "vaguely creepy"

liseling
October 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM
So after reading akuamoonmaui's recent post:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57938&highlight=vaguely+creepy

I was searching for the article in question and along with that one I found another blog post by 'velvet steamroller' on blogspot called 'The true tale of an unwashed woman'. She's found good results from not using shampoo and she mentions LHC as one of the places where no-poo'ing is popular. The problem is that she thinks our shot-from-behind userpics are "vaguely creepy"!! :hmm:

AGAIN? Maybe we really are a bunch of creeps :p

little_cherry
October 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
I don't understand why taking photos of the back of ones head are weird. There are stranger photos of stranger poses and body parts out there, and we're the ones being called 'creepy'......o...k....then...... It IS a hair forum. I'm not going to take a photo of my foot, that's for sure.

If anything, we should be given awards for being able to take such neat and lovely photos of our hair.

Bene
October 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM
I'm guessing she ran into the other article written by the ex-editor of whatever and noticed the traffic she got when she combined "vaguely creepy" with references to this site. She's hoping for a s**tstorm of indignant responses.

When I find something creepy, I don't court its attention :rolleyes:

liseling
October 21st, 2010, 12:21 AM
That would be pretty devious if she did that - not to say that that's not exactly what happened...

Aliped
October 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM
One of the good things about the "hair from behind" photos, is that it maintains our privacy. We can discuss our hair subjectively without broadcasting our identities on the internet. You know what would be creepy, lots of women discussing their personal routines and showing all of their identifying features. Photos from this angle may be a little odd, but they clearly fulfill their purpose. How bizarre that it is perceived as creepy. Some people have such narrow outlooks, that they identify anything slightly out of the ordinary as weird or creepy. That's a great way to celebrate the banal and mundane!

Bene
October 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM
Of course it's devious. Lightening hitting twice? In such a short time period? I'm willing to bet she followed that other article AND the thread here about it, noticed the hissing and buzzing that snowballed from it and wants the same sort of reaction for her blog.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but if it walks like a duck... well, you know the rest.

liseling
October 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM
True. Although if I wrote a blog entry that got that reaction I would feel like hiding under a rock. I'd definitely not being trying to provoke it!

I totally agree Aliped - I'd rather not have everyone be able to see what I look like and connect that to everything I express on these boards. For me it's actually a way that I can be more personal than if everyone could see my face. With all the problems with identity theft and the kinds of things people can find out about you on the internet I think one big step that you can take is to restrict the number of people that know what you look like too.

Aliped
October 21st, 2010, 12:34 AM
....she followed that other article AND the thread here about it, noticed the hissing and buzzing that snowballed from it and wants the same sort of reaction for her blog.

Wow! that's what I call a creepy blog!

MissManda
October 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM
I didn't post in the Lemondrop blog thread, but I did read the article. I don't think it is a coincidence that the author of this particular entry used the term "vaguely creepy." I think it is good that she found something that she is happy with and works for her, but I honestly feel like she is trying to get more hits on her blog.

I never thought of taking pictures of the back of your head was creepy at all. As others have said, it helps maintain privacy while successfully fulfilling its purpose. I've lurked at and participated in other forums dedicated to art, gaming, or writing and I always thought it was a good idea for people to use their character(s) and artwork for their avatars and signatures and I've never heard anyone describe the members of said communities/forums as creepy. I could be wrong, however. :) I don't see posting pictures of your hair as being no more different than that. I kind of feel that growing and caring for hair so it can be beautiful and healthy could be an type of art, actually. Although I could be considered vaguely creepy for saying that. :D

I'll admit that I've always been an oddball, so I might be biased. ;)

Aliped
October 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
I agree completely with MissManda :) .

Rebelkat
October 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
Personally, I take it as a compliment. If "vaguely creepy" is the worst complaint someone can come up with, then that speaks volumes. :shrug:

Igor
October 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
I don't understand why taking photos of the back of ones head are weird. There are stranger photos of stranger poses and body parts out there, and we're the ones being called 'creepy'......o...k....then...... It IS a hair forum. I'm not going to take a photo of my foot, that's for sure.

If anything, we should be given awards for being able to take such neat and lovely photos of our hair.

Of course it's devious. Lightening hitting twice? In such a short time period? I'm willing to bet she followed that other article AND the thread here about it, noticed the hissing and buzzing that snowballed from it and wants the same sort of reaction for her blog.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but if it walks like a duck... well, you know the rest.

So true :thumbsup:

Sooze
October 21st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Just been catching up on the two "vaguely creepy" threads, and it did make me chuckle. I think it says a lot about the psychology of some people as to how they view long hair.

"Zo, now den dear, look at zer ink spotz unt tellz uz vot yoo see...?" :eyebrows:

Alvrodul
October 21st, 2010, 04:27 AM
So after reading akuamoonmaui's recent post:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57938&highlight=vaguely+creepy

I was searching for the article in question and along with that one I found another blog post by 'velvet steamroller' on blogspot called 'The true tale of an unwashed woman'. She's found good results from not using shampoo and she mentions LHC as one of the places where no-poo'ing is popular. The problem is that she thinks our shot-from-behind userpics are "vaguely creepy"!! :hmm:

AGAIN? Maybe we really are a bunch of creeps :p
*sniffs disdainfully* For some things - like this article - the best answer is ... none!

wackyredtangles
October 21st, 2010, 04:29 AM
Must be nice to be so perfect that you can make judgements on other people's lifestyles.

Harriet
October 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
I can see how back of head shots might be considered creepy. I think as humans we reapond to faces, and conversing with someone who is faceless doesn't feel like you're really connecting with them.

FrannyG
October 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM
I do see how back of the head shots might look weird to someone. However, if someone is spending enough time looking at this site to have read the WO thread among other things, and is practising same, I find it odd that they would still find the photo thing weird.

Definitely someone looking to get some LHC traffic, in my opinion.

I for one hope that no one makes any comments on that post.

Athena's Owl
October 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM
oh great, somebody ducked the cluebat

the pictures are of the HAIR. (rolleyes) the point is to take pictures of the hair. you can't *see* the full head of hair from the front. honestly!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
I cannot see why taking pictures of hair is creepy...People take pictures of animals, flowers, objects, even products... :confused:

Maddy25
October 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
:shrug: I like being creepy.

sweet*things
October 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM
There's also the weirdo factor. There would be a lot more face shots on here if there weren't the pervs watching. The mods here do an awesome job of keeping them out, but lets face it, if they stay quiet and just lurk, they can get away with being here. I'm always conscious when posting pictures that there is a unsavory contingent to this audience.

Besides, I've always been creepy. I'm the quiet girl in the corner that knows all your secrets.;)

podo
October 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM
"any publicity is good publicity"

I vote no one go look at her blog - I won't - and just let it die down. All of us who are looking - that's what she wants, whether we comment or not - get her advertising money. It's not about content, it's about clicks.

We all know we're not creepy, and I guarantee you that there are more people on LHC around the world than read either one of those blogs. Humans in general have never been comfortable with "different" and I don't see that that's changed much over the last 100 years. If anything, we're a step ahead because we celebrate the differences in our members - their care routines, their hair types, and their hair styles.

podo
October 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM
sweet*things - I just have to say what an awesome avatar that is!

Katurday
October 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
I find the superior tone in which the article is written to be "vaguely creepy". I've been in the water-only and sebum only threads - I doubt any of those ladies stated they transitioned from shampoo (maybe the transition from CO is easier) to WO or SO without a case of the greasies... Yet this woman is pretty much claiming to look exactly the same. Maybe, if she produced like no sebum.

The wording "vaguely creepy" doesn't seem like a coincidence in the context. She would have used "creepy". I'd say she DEFINITELY made the connection, and wants the hits on her website. In fact, I'd say she's getting them, FROM US, as we speak.

NickalNack
October 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
I guess long hair, particularly in photos without faces, could remind some people of say... this;

http://www.k-state.edu/anime/images/sadako.jpg

I doubt that was what she meant though. But maybe I can see where she's coming from... "vaguely". On the outside looking in if you never really thought about or cared for growing super long Rapunzel hair and then suddenly stumble across this site, it may seem weird just because of the many connotations it can have with it. You'd wonder if it's "that kind" of site or if it's family friendly, but after reading even one thread that suspicion can be put to rest, assuming you even thought like that in the first place. Personally I don't think this site is creepy at all, though clearly different from even most conventional beauty sites.

enfys
October 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
Perhaps they think the photos are from the front!

I don't think it was neccessarily about us; there are over one and a half thousand results for ""vaguely creepy" hair"" on Google. We'd be vain to think that are all about us. And the top result? Us!

little_cherry
October 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
>>I'd say she DEFINITELY made the connection, and wants the hits on her website. In fact, I'd say she's getting them, FROM US, as we speak.
Absolutely. I didn't bother clicking on the article. Why feed the ogre? ;)

mali
October 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
All I want to do right now is gather all of their heads (bloggers who call us ''creepy'') and bumb them togheter. Take that,bit***s!:cool:

mali
October 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM
I've cracked:oops: I'm so sorry,vaguely creepy friends! I went there and wrote her a comment.I just couldn't stand to see her call us that way! Feel free to bash me away from my cheese and off the site!:run:

Here's the comment: Wow,you really just want publicity,don't you?I don't know the hair community (Yes,I do:oops:) but I don't think it's creepy posting pictures of your hair on a site.It would have been creepy if you would've posted pictures of someone molesting a child.Seriously.
:oops: :run:

ddiana1979
October 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
As a big fan of creepiness in general, I think we're awesome.

Morticia Adamms (especially from the 60's TV show) is one of my hair idols. So there.

Unofficial_Rose
October 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM
:shrug: I like being creepy.

Hehe! *revels in creepiness* :face:

BrightEyes7
October 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM
I agree with everyone else. It isn't creepy we take pictures of the back of our heads.

1. It is a HAIR forum. The best view of your hair, the way you can capture the entire style, texture, length, etc. is from behind. Why would we take pictures of ourselves making kissy faces or throwing up peace signs or some other MySpace-esque picture and then talk about our hair.... like "I have classic hair but here let me show my face, not my hair, so I don't seem vaguely creepy!"

2. It is very important to a lot of people to keep their identities private. Some people don't want their face out there for the world to see... I know I don't. I don't have a Facebook or Myspace for this reason. Also sometimes we like to talk about stuff anonumously. Like if I have an itchy butt or something personal like that, I like that I can come here and ask for advice and not worry about this person or that person thinking I'm weird for having an itchy butt. I'm just a person with long hair who has an itchy butt...

I just hate that people come on here to lurk and obviously read all our posts and take our advice to only go and make fun of us!!

BTW... I don't have an itchy butt, I just thought it painted the picture well :laugh:

Spike
October 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Oh, golly. This is a HAIR forum, I'm here to see your HAIR.

I spent hours watching the Olympics on-line (love figure skating) specifically so I could pause the picture and look at the hairstyles. And yelling at the camera that I wanted a closer shot of the back of so-and-so's head.

I knit lace almost as fervently as I "hair." Lots of the knitting lists show pictures of beautiful shawls draped over someone's back. We're there for the KNITTING, not for the faces.

Someone's hyper-sensitive to "creepy," it seems to me--and perhaps someone else is trying to boost traffic. I get creepier stuff than y'all in my breakfast cereal. :rolleyes:

growing2shine
October 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
I cannot see why taking pictures of hair is creepy...People take pictures of animals, flowers, objects, even products... :confused:

I agree... And even when I joined this forum, and the taking-pictures-from-the-back-thing was very new to me I never thought it was weird. :p

little_cherry
October 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
*runs off to take photos of her knee*

ddiana1979
October 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM
We should become *truly* creepy and start taking pictures of our hair pulled over our face like Samara in The Ring.

Roscata
October 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
This IS a hair forum, what are you suppose to take a photo of?
"Vaguely creepy" is a bit confusing to me in this context.

Maddy25
October 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
We should become *truly* creepy and start taking pictures of our hair pulled over our face like Samara in The Ring.

I like this idea :eyebrows:

May
October 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
I've cracked:oops: I'm so sorry,vaguely creepy friends! I went there and wrote her a comment.I just couldn't stand to see her call us that way! Feel free to bash me away from my cheese and off the site!:run:

Here's the comment: Wow,you really just want publicity,don't you?I don't know the hair community (Yes,I do:oops:) but I don't think it's creepy posting pictures of your hair on a site.It would have been creepy if you would've posted pictures of someone molesting a child.Seriously.
:oops: :run:

Wow, that's intense. :eek:

lundmir
October 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
I read this article too, and as the first one, didn't care about it either. Her blog seems like a never ending wall of text, and her opinions gave me the impression that she's a very judgemental person, but it is her blog.

I enjoy my vague creepiness, anyway.

d1angel
October 21st, 2010, 04:59 PM
I'm thankful for all the "vaguely creepy" people here. Y'all give great advice and wonderful support, and if that's creepy, she can go jump in the lake.

DreadfulWoman
October 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
Strange, I tend to think that pictures taken in a way that protects anonymity is kind of an internet norm. This is actually the only place where it makes any sense, since we're all just interested in the backs of each other's heads anyway.

Bene
October 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Strange, I tend to think that pictures taken in a way that protects anonymity is kind of an internet norm. This is actually the only place where it makes any sense, since we're all just interested in the backs of each other's heads anyway.

I think people are so accustomed to myspace voodoo and extreme angle shots that a picture that actually tries to preserve anonymity is the strange phenomena.