PDA

View Full Version : The Effect of Exercise on Hair

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
First of all, I am currently striving to lose weight. I'm gradually making my diet healthier and adding in increasing amounts of exercise on a weekly basis. I am approaching this situation the way that I approached quitting smoking (two years ago next month!). That is to say that I am changing one habit at a time instead of going "cold turkey" on my food addiction.

Wait, I'm not totally off topic.

I've been working on a combination of muscle-building and cardio activities, including a lot of walking. I wear a pedometer and my goal is to increase number of steps on a daily basis.

Anyway, my question is this: How does exercise affect hair growth, both rate and terminal length? Also, what kinds of exercises have the most effect on hair? I have to assume cardio because of blood flow and blood oxygenation, right? How does muscle-building activity affect hair growth?

And, perhaps most importantly to me right now both in relation to my hair and to my life, how do you all use the application of exercise to combat stress, since stress is a major factor in regard to hair growth?

Jezerellica
October 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
This is only personal experience. My hair grows much faster when I am active on a regular basis. As in weights, cardio on treadmill or walking outside. When I used to go to the salon, my stylist noticed it as well! She would say" Wow! Are you trying to set some kind of record" and then check her notebook for when my last appointment was. It was easy to see as I had it colored at the time. I am happy you brought this up because I forgot about this until now!! Thank you!

May
October 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I would think that exercise only has positive effects on hair growth and quality. I don't think there would be a con unless you were to exercise...and then you would become fatigued I guess. Anyway, I found this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/58993-exercise-hair-growth/ and it had some interesting info about exercise and hair issues.

I love to exercise...I couldn't imagine not going for a walk everyday at least. I believe we were meant to move and the mroe we do the better we feel. Plus resting after an activity filled day feels a lot better than resting after sitting on the couch all day ;) Play hard=rest better :P (plus better hair!):cheese: It's win-win.

Positive thoughts on your better body journey.

jenwexler
October 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
On my campus, I can't have a car. I am basically forced to have some type of physical activity each day and I love it. I have been using a bicycle and it has worked wonders =D

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I have an almost three year-old, so walking daily is difficult, though I'm thinking about getting up earlier in the morning and going when both she and DH are asleep. We wind up getting too busy once he's up, since we are always doing *something*. My goal right now is 5000 steps a day, plus I'm doing the muscle building and toning.

Jezerellica
October 20th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have an almost three year-old, so walking daily is difficult, though I'm thinking about getting up earlier in the morning and going when both she and DH are asleep. We wind up getting too busy once he's up, since we are always doing *something*. My goal right now is 5000 steps a day, plus I'm doing the muscle building and toning.
That is a great idea! You could also do a DVD or something if your little one keeps you in for some reason. It would not help your steps, but some variety would be good too! Good luck! :D

UltraBella
October 20th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I think you will find that some people experience increased growth with exercise and others just can't seem to vary their growth rate no matter what they do. For me personally, it makes no difference. My hair grows quickly regardless of exercise or nutrition.

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
My hair grows quickly. I'm thinking more about the effect on terminal length and the health of the hair. I would think that the higher the blood-oxygen levels, the healthier the hair would be.

Dragon
October 21st, 2010, 01:33 AM
I walk 5 to 7 days a week and I havent noticed any differenct in my hair growth.

EverydayMiracle
October 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
That's interesting, Dragon. I've just started walking at that level, so I haven't had a chance to see a difference. Even if it doesn't affect my hair, I get incredible growth. I'm on Biotin again, too :)

DecafJane
October 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
I have been getting back into running in the past two weeks (after a few months off from injury) and my hair has had a real growth spurt in the past 10 days. It is a good incentive to get fit. ;)

Sunny_side_up
October 23rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Whatever activity thats getting the circulation going is good in my book, from housework to being out strolling in the countryside. I'm not a gym goer, but i'm busy at work mon to friday. some weekends can see me being quite lazy and thats when i can find my hands and feet being cold- autumn/winter/spring.
The fastest growth for me is in summer, optimum circulation i guess. I went to Thailand on a 6week holiday years ago and in pictures notice a fab amount of growth. On this trip i spent a large percentage of my time being flopped out too hot to do anything. Lots of water, fruits. Poor appetite from the heat. but healthy looking skin, weight loss and longer hair, which i had mum cut off after a month back.

lajsa
October 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Whoa? Exercising more can help my hair growth? Damn it. :o This is clearly another point to add to my Why I Ought To Start Exercising list, together with "more exercise = more bloodflow to the brain = get smarter!" and "more exercise = get rid of that flobby belly!". Ooooh, watch my laziness crumble... :D

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Exercise...in every single possible facet, for me...does me very, and i mean VERY good. I havent been working out at all lately with this new job and what not. But when i workout EVERYTHING seems to function like a well oiled machine. I sleep better, i wake up not wanting to punch everyone, i eat less, feel less hungry, my skin is healthier, i break out less, I use the bathroom more frequently, I breathe better, I think better, I absorb my vitamins better, And last but definitely not least.....My hair grows much more faster. Even During the winter months where my growth slows a bit. My shedding evens out all year round if i exercise continuously all year round as well. So Exercise...big bueno :)

Brunettebybirth
January 5th, 2016, 04:46 AM
I think with everything else in life, it's different for each individual. I've been an avid exerciser for the past decade, and I really notice no distinct difference in how fast my hair grows. However, being active and adopting a healthy lifestyle will make you feel great regardless of how it affects your hair growth. Good luck on your journey to get fit! :joy:

samanthaa
January 5th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I haven't noticed exercise to increase my growth rate. I began going to the gym regularly about 3.5 years ago (which is also the time that I started paying close attention to my hair care routine), and last June I stopped going to the gym in favor of outdoor running. I'm up to 5 days/30 miles a week--a significant increase within the past 6-7 months--but my growth rate seems about the same.

I have, however, noticed more breakage at the front of my head, which I worry may be from wearing my hair in a tighter-than-normal bun while I run...I think I'm going to switch to a braid, which will be easier to wear a hat over anyway in the winter.

I'm sure it varies person-to-person. I hope you have better luck than me! Good luck on your health journey!

Eastbound&Down
January 5th, 2016, 08:59 AM

Are you a SAHM? Does your LO do well in a stroller? I know mine hates his stroller, but if you can, you could load yours up and stroll around the neighborhood if weather permits, or let them walk with you. Just a thought, where we are, sunny days are a treasured commodity, so getting out is always fun :) And if you work, could you do a workout before or after work, while they a at daycare? Best of luck to you, from a fellow mom :)

Vrindi
January 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Being at optimal health in general will result in optimal hair growth and quality. There's nothing you can do to effect terminal length - that's genetically determined. But eating great, whole foods means your body is actually getting more of the nutrients it needs. One of the reasons long, shiny hair has been prized throughout history is that it's a sign of good health, which can indicate a better standard of living. Growing hair is a non-essential activity for your body, so if you're getting the right nutrients, and plenty of exercise and blood flow, then your hair growth will be the best it can be.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 28th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I want to revive this older thread -- I work out 3 days a week, usually about 30-40 mins of intense cardio. I am trying to lose 10lbs and get a little leaner and fit.
I haven't noticed any increased growth, but then again I dont measure and I dont really pay too much attention to my roots and I havent redone my color in awhile so the current roots i have wouldnt be an accurate way to count, however I feel my growth is a lot stronger and better. Along with taking multis and working out and eating better, i think overall my health is just improving and therefore my hair is effected by it.
I wonder if since this post was made there was a conclusion to the OPs question.

browneyedsusan
April 29th, 2017, 07:54 AM
I exercise regularly, too. I also work part-time at a climbing gym -- physical work.

The biggest change was my increased appetite. Good gravy, some days I'm SO hungry, and try to make healthy choices with it, but it takes a boatload of lean protein, spinach and tree bark to fill me up on those days!

My hair keeps growing right along. It seems about the same to me = .5" per month.

MidnightMoon
April 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM
There are many good reasons to exercise but (in my case) hair growth isn't one of them haha. In fact it was a bit of a pain to wash it more often, because a sweaty scalp is not good for me. I think my diet, care and amount of stress have more impact in my case.

diewassermelone
April 29th, 2017, 01:02 PM
There are many good reasons to exercise but (in my case) hair growth isn't one of them haha. In fact it was a bit of a pain to wash it more often, because a sweaty scalp is not good for me. I think my diet, care and amount of stress have more impact in my case.

That's actually why I got into cowashing, because I get quite sweaty and have to shower every time I run...and I was running 6-7 days a week. There were even some days I just sprayed my scalp with a vinegar-water mixture, let it sit, and just rinsed that out really well instead of using conditioner.
That being said, I didn't notice much growth although I wasn't looking, but I did have a lot less shedding. My guess is that I wasn't seeing growth because I was dealing with a lot of breakage at that time :/

MidnightMoon
April 29th, 2017, 02:58 PM
That's actually why I got into cowashing, because I get quite sweaty and have to shower every time I run...and I was running 6-7 days a week. There were even some days I just sprayed my scalp with a vinegar-water mixture, let it sit, and just rinsed that out really well instead of using conditioner.
That being said, I didn't notice much growth although I wasn't looking, but I did have a lot less shedding. My guess is that I wasn't seeing growth because I was dealing with a lot of breakage at that time :/

Wow haha, well, not even in my best days I did that much exercise. Some months ago (from ~August to ~January) my hair apparently stopped growing. Might have had to do with moving to another country to study, the stress before moving, all the paperwork, and then that I didn't eat much meat for a while. Now, since ~February it's been growing very well. It's bad to miss months of growth because it just won't cooperate but meh...

EssentialJo
April 29th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I have to admit, when I think about the thread title, I think more about the daily care over the growth aspect of hair. :) I've heard that exercise encourages more growth but I'm not sure I've noticed a change that I can tie back to working out.

Since I began a steady workout routine (hot yoga 3-4 days/week), I have noticed so much dryness in my hair near the roots. This has been going on and getting incrementally worse for about 5 months. :( I've taken a break for a week and have seen improvement but I don't want to give up hot yoga.

After each session, I used to rinse my hair thoroughly and co-wash but I have to be more creative to improve my moisturizing practice. Currently exploring options and have tried oils. If I keep the oil mix simple, I'm optimistic it may help. :)

EssentialJo
April 29th, 2017, 03:30 PM

THIS. And, in my case, I had breakage around the back of my head due to lazy styling. (I did the same bun daily with some rougher hair claws). Now I'm trying to be more creative (and gentle) with that area or my hair/scalp.

akurah
April 29th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I have to admit, when I think about the thread title, I think more about the daily care over the growth aspect of hair. :) I've heard that exercise encourages more growth but I'm not sure I've noticed a change that I can tie back to working out.

Since I began a steady workout routine (hot yoga 3-4 days/week), I have noticed so much dryness in my hair near the roots. This has been going on and getting incrementally worse for about 5 months. :( I've taken a break for a week and have seen improvement but I don't want to give up hot yoga.

After each session, I used to rinse my hair thoroughly and co-wash but I have to be more creative to improve my moisturizing practice. Currently exploring options and have tried oils. If I keep the oil mix simple, I'm optimistic it may help. :)

If you're washing your hair after anyway, why not load it up with oil beforehand to discourage moisture from escaping?

As for exercise helping hair growth? I don't know. I started working out probably 3 years ago with regularity, I'm now up to daily cardio workouts, with 3 days of weight training and 1 day off repeating. I try to eat a healthy diet for the most part. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying much attention to how it may or may not have helped my hair. However that said? My nails have gone from thin and peeling to harder and significantly more durable. I can actually wear them long, and when they do peel, it's usually in a spot I don't have to trim all the way back. Considering that nails and hair use the same stuff to generate, I suspect that my hair has seen improvements based on the fact my nails have had very obvious and noticeable improvements.

EssentialJo
April 29th, 2017, 10:57 PM
If you're washing your hair after anyway, why not load it up with oil beforehand to discourage moisture from escaping?

As for exercise helping hair growth? I don't know. I started working out probably 3 years ago with regularity, I'm now up to daily cardio workouts, with 3 days of weight training and 1 day off repeating. I try to eat a healthy diet for the most part. Unfortunately, I haven't been paying much attention to how it may or may not have helped my hair. However that said? My nails have gone from thin and peeling to harder and significantly more durable. I can actually wear them long, and when they do peel, it's usually in a spot I don't have to trim all the way back. Considering that nails and hair use the same stuff to generate, I suspect that my hair has seen improvements based on the fact my nails have had very obvious and noticeable improvements.

Good suggestion. The last time I went in for my morning practice (last week), I did it with the oil I wore throughout the night still in my hair. Results were alright but I'll know more with greater consistency. When I return to regular practice (next week) I'll keep that up and see how it goes.

As far as nutrition, I take boat load of supplements and follow a generally low carb diet. With weight loss goals reached, I've been in maintenance since December (when I started the yoga).

Funny enough, my nails have always been very strong. Most recently though, I even have the half moons at the base of each except for the pinkies. I wonder if, as in your case, this may be the exersize or a combination of activity and diet. Probably both.

diewassermelone
April 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Wow haha, well, not even in my best days I did that much exercise. Some months ago (from ~August to ~January) my hair apparently stopped growing. Might have had to do with moving to another country to study, the stress before moving, all the paperwork, and then that I didn't eat much meat for a while. Now, since ~February it's been growing very well. It's bad to miss months of growth because it just won't cooperate but meh...

That's actually why I was running so much! I was abroad for language acquisition, and was just so stressed that what started as running for 10 minutes twice a week quickly became 30-40 a day. Even when it was murderously cold I found that I still usually broke a sweat towards the end, and so needed to shower.
Good that your hair is growing again, hopefully it keeps it up!

THIS. And, in my case, I had breakage around the back of my head due to lazy styling. (I did the same bun daily with some rougher hair claws). Now I'm trying to be more creative (and gentle) with that area or my hair/scalp.

I think that's why I was getting so much breakage, my hair just lived in bun for about 6 months. Towards the end I got better about switching it up, but the damage was done. Now I know!

Lanalavallama
May 1st, 2017, 06:44 AM
Hmm, i am starting a 30 day challenge, so will keep an eye out for additional growth. I will say that the lifestyle change that gives me the most significant changes in growth rate is drinking lots of water. Water and rooibos tea are my coffee replacers, and i noticed a jump in growth rate within 2 weeks of drinking more water. Even back when i was doing water only, i was drinking lots of water to assist with sebum production. It dawned on me after reading through this thread, that water is my wondrous hair growth tonic.. off to chug some.

Aphra
May 1st, 2017, 07:11 AM
I think Rey... (sorry can't remember the full user name) covered the science in her thinning hair thread. It pretty much came down to 30 min + sessions of cardio activating the body's healing mechanisms, which reduces the likelihood of hair follicles going defunct, and a combination of weight reduction (within healthy bounds) and increase of natural muscle mass reduces insulin resistance, which helps prevent the mechanism by which hair follicles go defunct.

So if you have abnormal shedding / thinning, exercise might help, or at least prevent it getting as bad as it could otherwise get. If your hair isn't thinning, you probably wouldn't see any improvement, but you might be delaying the onset / reducing the severity of any future problems. I don't recall much about hair growth rate or terminal length, although I guess if it helps stop hairs shedding before they are genetically due to, it could help your length reach its potential if it is not doing so.

giraff
December 10th, 2019, 03:10 PM
I am definitely testing out this in 2020! :) Is anyone with me?

0xalis
December 10th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Definitely a good way to motivate me to move.
I'm disabled so I can't really do ~traditional~ exercise, but that doesn't mean I can't exercise.
I adapt by going slower, doing less reps at once, stretching my exercise into small bursts throughout the day.
My favourite indoor exercises are walking in place, pacing around, and squats. Trying to strengthen my legs back up!

giraff
December 10th, 2019, 03:32 PM
Definitely a good way to motivate me to move.
I'm disabled so I can't really do ~traditional~ exercise, but that doesn't mean I can't exercise.
I adapt by going slower, doing less reps at once, stretching my exercise into small bursts throughout the day.
My favourite indoor exercises are walking in place, pacing around, and squats. Trying to strengthen my legs back up!

Any movement is good! I'm great at talking walks. I probably walk for an hour a day (+ walking in everyday life, of course). But I would really like to start with some strength training and jogging/skiing, to see if it has any effect on my hair growth ;) Of course I need to establish my base rate first..

Cg
December 11th, 2019, 09:40 AM
I was an athlete until about 15 years ago when I became disabled. I still do as much as I'm able, which is hugely, hugely less than earlier, yet there is no difference in my hair's growth rate. In my experience if you are relatively active and maintain a balanced diet and healthful lifestyle, your hair will grow at its maximum rate.

giraff
December 11th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I was an athlete until about 15 years ago when I became disabled. I still do as much as I'm able, which is hugely, hugely less than earlier, yet there is no difference in my hair's growth rate. In my experience if you are relatively active and maintain a balanced diet and healthful lifestyle, your hair will grow at its maximum rate.

Any excuse to get me to exercise is good, imho.. I mean, it can't slow down the growth rate, right? ;)

PatchouliSoleil
December 11th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Personally, I notice my hair grows at a much faster rate when I'm regularly exercising. (Though, to be fair, when I'm consistently exercising I also generally eat better so that probably contributes)

I think anything that gets your blood flowing, theoretically, is going to help with growth. I like to add in yoga to my weight lifting/cardio so I can get that extra inversion too :cool:

Servana
December 11th, 2019, 01:39 PM
I don't find exercise has any affect on my hair growth.

MusicalSpoons
December 11th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Well, too much movement of *any* kind puts me in bed ... though drying myself after a shower or getting dressed sends my heart rate up to 140+ so that counts as cardio, right?! :bluebiggr

In all seriousness, I haven't been able to be particularly active for a few years. However I found LHC and started taking notice of growth while I was still able to work, and working in a school I was on my feet a fair amount while I was still able. Between then (walking 1~2km a day in total) and now (I might make 20-30metres in a day), I haven't noticed any real difference in my hair. In fact the most difference in that time was when I started taking a silica supplement: my nails became noticeably stronger and my shedding decreased.

I have no doubt that for bodies without exercise intolerance, more movement is beneficial, and I do wish I could be more active - I do miss walking, especially exploring the countryside. It's just a bit galling when national campaigns take the stance that 'literally anybody can be more active, even if you're disabled :cheer:' when there's an entire community who genuinely cannot, and for whom any activity/movement increase must be *very* carefully and extremely slowly graded, under close supervision :soapbox:

0xalis
December 11th, 2019, 02:37 PM
I have no doubt that for bodies without exercise intolerance, more movement is beneficial, and I do wish I could be more active - I do miss walking, especially exploring the countryside. It's just a bit galling when national campaigns take the stance that 'literally anybody can be more active, even if you're disabled :cheer:' when there's an entire community who genuinely cannot, and for whom any activity/movement increase must be *very* carefully and extremely slowly graded, under close supervision :soapbox:

You're completely right. There are days when I really can't do much of anything without risking my health and safety.
That's why I feel lucky that not all days are like that for me, which is why I push myself on my good days.
But what I consider pushing myself looks like nothing to any able bodied person...

I'm so sorry you have to struggle with that, especially when people are using people like me as an "example"
Of how you can "be more active no matter what" even when that's not true at all. All bodies are different.
Stay on that soap box, more people need to hear it!

Arciela
December 11th, 2019, 03:42 PM
I am definitely testing out this in 2020! :) Is anyone with me?

I'll join you! I definitely want to see if it makes a difference :D

MusicalSpoons
December 11th, 2019, 03:57 PM
You're completely right. There are days when I really can't do much of anything without risking my health and safety.
That's why I feel lucky that not all days are like that for me, which is why I push myself on my good days.
But what I consider pushing myself looks like nothing to any able bodied person...

I'm so sorry you have to struggle with that, especially when people are using people like me as an "example"
Of how you can "be more active no matter what" even when that's not true at all. All bodies are different.
Stay on that soap box, more people need to hear it!

Thank you for that :hifive: it's so refreshing to hear from people like you who *are* able to do a bit, but recognise and appreciate that even whatever small amount (which is a huge achievement! Don't ever feel like it's not) is still a privilege not all of us have :flowers:

0xalis
December 11th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Solidarity <3

giraff
December 11th, 2019, 06:47 PM
MusicalSpoons 0xalis , I can't even imagine what that's like! I can only imagine how annoying it would be when people keep nagging about the importance of exercise. It's also a reminder to me that I really have no excuse not to get into shape.

Siv
December 12th, 2019, 10:57 AM
I think anything that gets your blood flowing, theoretically, is going to help with growth.

Fully agree! Though, how much it helps in practice is debatable. The only thing I've personally seen real results from is staying in hot and humid Singapore for 5 weeks :lol: Being active in my everyday life, working out moderately, working out hard, nah... It might have worked a bit? But not enough to be sure. That's why I'm sceptical of the inversion method. Exercise increases blood flow while you're exercising, and as you exercise regularly, it'll also better your overall blood flow. It has the added benefit of bettering your overall health which supports good hair growth. The inversion method, though? It might increase your hair growth but otherwise it doesn't do much.

All that being said, I do believe in exercise and diet to maintain your optimum hair growth, whether that means an increase from your current growth pace or just maintaining at your current pace!

I'm not disabled but when I was really sick with depression and anxiety and cognitive burn-out my doctor just told me that I needed to exercise. I was like, how?? I hardly made it out of my bed to come see you! I haven't eaten a meal in a week!

So I can sort of relate a bit, though from a different situation. Of course, I'm able-bodied so eventually I was able to exercise, but I was surprised at how they didn't even question whether it was possible at that time.

SpottedBackson
December 13th, 2019, 01:12 AM
Huh, my hairdresser always tells me my hair grows really fast. Maybe this is why. I'm another poor university student who's obliged to cycle 90 km a week.