PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts for starting the journey?

earthymamawitch
October 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi. I have been on here for awhile and attempting to go the long hair route with dreads. Now however I have decided to comb them out and start the journey to long, beautiful, healthy hair. I already henna, use poo bars, indian herbs and have a ton of ingredients for different natural treatments (oils, butters etc) plus taking supplements for growth. I've read the archives and stickies about hair care and recipes and am excited to go down this path. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good haircut for a starting point, that will grow out well and look nice. My hair out of the dreads is between chin and shoulder, about a 1a/M/i I think, if I've classified it correctly.
Jenn

HereIGrowAgain
October 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well, I think a lot of it depends on what look you like. If you like the deep V in the back, starting from a blunt cut should naturally send you in that direction as it grows out. I would think that an inverted bob will lend you more into a straight hemline as it grows.

I'm currently at a very short length, and I plan on getting my hair trimmed into the shape I want it to be when it's all grown out. I want layers starting at my chin and going down from there, so after it gets past chin, I'll maintain the front chin layers, and then grow it until reaching the next layer length, then keep that layer maintained with the chin layer, let the next length grow etc.

What look are you hoping to end up with?

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Well, I think a lot of it depends on what look you like. If you like the deep V in the back, starting from a blunt cut should naturally send you in that direction as it grows out. I would think that an inverted bob will lend you more into a straight hemline as it grows.

Both ideas were tested and confirmed by me :)

I'd like to add that a blunt hemline is better if you don't know which hemline you want. You can easily shape blunt hemlines into anything but if you have layers, you'll spend so much time trying to grow them out to make it blunt. (also done that! :D learn from my fail )