PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen and hair growth

jenwexler
October 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I have read a few threads and it seems as though oxygen plays a big part in growth....I was wondering how it does this and if my Athsma effects oxygen and hair growth in any way?

Sammich
October 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Woah, I have Athsma and apparently my hair grows fast... Hmm... if I could get a magic wand and be rid of it... would that mean I'd have 2x(Or more!) as much hair growth? :eyebrows:

:p

jenwexler
October 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Who knows???

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
oouch...i have asthma too :( as far as i know, when the scalp cannot breathe (because of things like wigs and hats) shedding increases. I know that because when i had my leg in a cast, after they took it out all the unwanted hairs started falling! :D But i don't know if breathing less oxygen slows hair growth. After all, if we don't get enough oxygen, it affects our health much faster than it would affect our hair.

Themyst
October 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Well, I don't know about that, the oxygen-carbon dioxide exchange from breathing happens within the lungs (between the alveoli and capillaries where the oxygen is then carried throughout your body), and I don't think it would affect your hair growth unless you were in long states of hypoxia, and then, I think other organs/tissues in your body would also be affected, not just your hair. :hmm:

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 07:26 AM
i dont know.
i have asthma and my hair grows about an inch a month.

Igor
December 25th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I’m not an expert on asthma, but I would say that if your oxygen content in your blood stays so “normal” (and by that I guess I mean well managed) that you are not crippled by it, you should be fine.
From what my basic biology and anatomy knowledge tells me, it shouldn’t affect the cells in your follicles unless the oxygen supply becomes so low your cells begin to die from it. And by then, I would say that brain damage would be a bigger concern than shedding extra.