PDA

View Full Version : Gray Hair Question

WaitingSoLong
October 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
So pardon my naivety, but when one's hair turns gray, does it do so from the roots or will the strands fade as a whole? I have seen lot of long gray haired women lately and several of them have a horizontal line and below it is darker/not gray. I was wondering if that means they are growing out dye or if this is how hair turns gray?

I always hoped to embrace my gray when it came, but I am not sure I want a horizontal line...

EverydayMiracle
October 20th, 2010, 12:57 PM
It could be that they dye their hair and you are seeing the roots. Maybe I don't understand you correctly though.

I have a very few random gray/white hairs on my head. The entire strand is gray. And I only have about three of them.

In2wishin
October 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
So pardon my naivety, but when one's hair turns gray, does it do so from the roots or will the strands fade as a whole? I have seen lot of long gray haired women lately and several of them have a horizontal line and below it is darker/not gray. I was wondering if that means they are growing out dye or if this is how hair turns gray?

I always hoped to embrace my gray when it came, but I am not sure I want a horizontal line...

Gray hair starts at the roots as the pigment producing parts of the follicles reduce the amount of pigment they produce (try saying THAT 5 times fast :p ). Exactly how that happens varies from one person to the next. Most people wil have it happen hair by hair rather than all at once so the grays blend in but also might get a streak or white fluffies at the temples.

I think most of the people you see with a demarcation line are growing out dye. Check with your parents and find out how they went gray....that is usually a good indicator.

PS: you sound like a good candidate for the Renegrays! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951

kittensoupnrice
October 20th, 2010, 01:22 PM
When hair turns gray, it is typically due to the increase of hydrogen peroxide being formed in the hair follicles themselves. This will cause individual strands to start growing in lighter and lighter, and eventually gray.

What causes this increase of peroxide in the follicles is currently unknown, and there's some research being done in potentially neutralizing the peroxide that forms in follicles to help prevent gray hair.

My sister and I are prone to gray hair. I get it in phases, and can find individual strands of my hair that have segments that are grey and other segments that are dark. Other strands are entirely gray or entirely dark, or are only half half. Sometimes, I get strands that are stuck "halfway" and are neither pure white, nor dark, but are more in the middle and are a light brown/red.

If you decide to grow out gray, it is extremely unlikely that you will get a line. It is much more likely that you will get a slow gradation of darker colored hair to lighter colored hair, if you are growing long enough to see the slow transition of dark to white.

If you ever see a sharp demarcation line in hair, it is much more likely to be due to growing out of dye or for other medical reasons.

jojo
October 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM
When hair turns grey it does so from the root, so a whole grey hair will appear. Grey roots are due to the person dying their hair.

WaitingSoLong
October 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Cool! Thanks for answering me ;)

I don't have any gray and my parents are not really gray yet. My Dad has salt and pepper but he has very short hair. My grandma is gray, but again, very short hair.

jojo
October 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Your so blonde like my eldest daughter you will probably go that lovely white when your an old lady

aenflex
October 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
My grey sprouts that way from the scalp. And hardly takes dye at all :(

Peggy E.
October 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Recruiting for the "Renegrays," are we?!! ;o)

Sounds like you're looking at the heads of those who have decided to chuck the bottle and embrace reality!

You know, there does seem to be more gray and white haired people in noticeable positions. I'm hoping that as we Boomers continue on our relentless roll through time and space, having influenced every facet of life as we've gone, we will leave behind as our legacy a world where all people accept the fact of aging as a gift, not a curse. And instead of trying to cling to periods in our lives, we will joyously burst forward into each phase with the will to embrace all that life has to share with us!

Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors and it's time an educated, sophisticated culture comes to terms with this fact and celebrate with full appreciation all we have to offer one another.

kitschy
October 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
My hair looks two toned but in actuality I have layers and the top layers show more of my new gray growth than the older, longer and darker layers.

spidermom
October 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
I think the gray/white/silver hairs emerge from the scalp that way. I've never found a hair that was blonde on the ends and gray/white/silver at the roots.

Purdy Bear
October 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Just a little notelet - with Alopecia regrowth the hair comes through white first (just like cat whiskers) then comes through the normal colour. Some of the hair falls inbetween the two processes others just have a line just like you would growing out a dye.

One of my teachers at school many years ago went grey in layers. Her top layer was fully grey with dark underneath, then the bottom layer went and lastly the middle layer. Very strange indeed but made her very 'cool' in the childrens eyes.

In2wishin
October 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Just a little notelet - with Alopecia regrowth the hair comes through white first (just like cat whiskers) then comes through the normal colour. Some of the hair falls inbetween the two processes others just have a line just like you would growing out a dye.

I noticed that on my Dad. He would get a silver-dollar sized bald patch on the side of his head, then go through the regrowth stages you mentioned. My brother inherited Dad's alopecia but his spot is on his beard so he is always clean shaven now, but when he was in a rock band in the 70's he would grow a beard only to have to shave it off when the bald spot reappeared.

On the opposite side: a few years ago I severely burned my forearm with boiling water. When the hair started growing back it was black! (I have blonde body hair) Eventually it came in my normal color but I was a bit nervous for a while :confused:

feralnature
October 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
You can get streaks of white or grey too. The hair around the front of my face is quite white and the hair towards the back of my head is darker.

EverydayMiracle
October 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM
I can't wait until more grays come in. My husband doesn't see the gray in my hair, and I think he wants me to Henna it. I'm debating now, since he really loves the dark red. I just want the gray so bad that I haven't really been thinking about his preference. I may need to compromise since he wants me to stop growing like... now.

RitaPG
October 21st, 2010, 04:41 PM
My grays gradually started growing lighter and lighter, I once found a shed hair that was darker at the end and completely white at the root, but the color transition was so soft I never even realised it was growing two tone untill it was out of my head.
Most of my sparklies now are white from the roots to the ends, so I'm inclined to believe the color faded out eventually.
Who knows? :D

melindalucy
February 5th, 2021, 06:51 AM
So pardon my naivety, but when one's hair turns gray, (https://hairstyle-en.com/burst-fade-haircut-ideas-for-short-hair-men-2021-trend-burst-fade-hairstyles/) does it do so from the roots or will the strands fade as a whole? I have seen lot of long gray haired women lately and several of them have a horizontal line and below it is darker/not gray. I was wondering if that means they are growing out dye or if this is how hair turns gray?

It’s a “fade” or, a “taper fade”, groomed but masculine. Before it was so creatively various, it was known as “short back and sides”.

It follows the oldskool structure of close cut back and sides with longer hair on top. This one is more of an undercut combination.

Feral_
February 5th, 2021, 08:12 AM
It’s a “fade” or, a “taper fade”, groomed but masculine. Before it was so creatively various, it was known as “short back and sides”.

It follows the oldskool structure of close cut back and sides with longer hair on top. This one is more of an undercut combination.

A generic comment to a thread that is over 10 years old? :confused:

EdG
February 5th, 2021, 08:54 AM
A generic comment to a thread that is over 10 years old? :confused:Posted by a bot. :patrol:
Ed

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Talking about a short man's haircut, as well. Fade & short back & sides are terminology for short gentlemen's hair cuts. It's typical for the channel I watch, "Regal gentleman" on YT. :lol:

Odd that!

neko_kawaii
February 5th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Bots, man. My expectations are so much higher than this. Back to Bot School with you!

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2021, 09:23 AM
Posted by a bot. :patrol:
Ed

Bots, man. My expectations are so much higher than this. Back to Bot School with you!

Ohhhh that's why - makes sense now! :lol:

Ylva
February 5th, 2021, 09:24 AM
My first ban! I feel like a real mod now! :patrol: :taz:

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Congrats! :cheer: :D

lapis_lazuli
February 5th, 2021, 09:55 AM

Well done! :laugh::spam:

GrowinIt
February 5th, 2021, 10:06 AM
I have had 3 types of gray hairs. Or should I say white hairs, or silver, depending on the light. Sometimes they are entirely white. Sometimes only the end is white and the root part is still brown, so that follicle must have regained it's pigmentation. Sometimes the top is white and the end is brown so that follicle must have lost pigmentation. I think follicles go through changes, dietary, hormonal, etc. I've had periods of time when I had more white hair, and others where I have barely any white hair, pretty weird. I am in midlife so maybe I'm going through some stuff. Almost all of my white hair is on the right side temple now. I don't do any hair coloring.

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2021, 10:12 AM

Wahey! Must have been very satisfying :D

(I'll be honest, even seeing how obviously weird the post history was, was quite satisfying too :lol: :spam:)

bparnell75
February 5th, 2021, 11:31 AM
this shows mine
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49971370497_0f31a1858e_n.jpg
has grown in from the roots so my buns are still much darker.

Feral_
February 5th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Haha, nicely!

MusicalSpoons
February 5th, 2021, 01:38 PM
this shows mine
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49971370497_0f31a1858e_n.jpg
has grown in from the roots so my buns are still much darker.

So beautiful!
(Nice to see you around again too :) - EDIT oops, it seems you've not been away, just our paths haven't crossed for a little while. Nice to see you again anyway ;))