PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there is a difference In growth in chemically Treated hair verses non?

Rocket22
October 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I know silly question but does virgin hair grow faster than highlighted hair? I was just wondering only because since becoming a member I am now monitoring my hair growth and I’m showing by pictures and tape I’ve grown an 1” in the last month (which seems impossible to me since my hair doesn’t grow) but anyway my roots on the top of my head really don’t show that much, like maybe ½ “ I only highlight the very top of my hair (well did, I’m challenging myself:)) has anyone heard of this?

Cheeks1206
October 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
From everything I've read, no, chemically treated hair does not grow faster or slower than non-chemically treated hair. People that treat their hair with chemicals often may not see growth due to breakage at the ends, but the hair is still growing from the scalp. If there is some sort or reaction to said chemicals, that may be a different story. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along!

aenflex
October 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I agree completely with Cheeks 1206.

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I'd say no, but your natural growth rate can fluctuate, just as your hair type/colour can naturally change slightly. Whatever you do to the hair itself shouldn't change how it grows out of the head or however quickly, unless - as Cheeks1206 said - it affects the scalp itself.

BrightEyes7
October 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
As Cheeks said, it doesn't grow faster or slower but chemically treated hair often times breaks more... appearing to grow slower.

Nightshade
October 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
As Cheeks said, it doesn't grow faster or slower but chemically treated hair often times breaks more... appearing to grow slower.

Exactly this.

Sometimes, though, the swelling or scabbing of the scalp from chemical dyes (which I used to get) can slow down growth in places :(

Rocket22
October 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you all!!!! … I guess I kinda knew that chemically treated hair would break off which would seem like it’s not growing, but guess when you're taking pictures there are soooo many variables as well… is your head in exact same position, is the strip shirt you're wearing in the exact same spot as well… I’m new to forum and I’m sure will learn as I go along. Awe so much to learn... :)

Silly me thought people with long hair were just the lucky ones!!! And I'm sure a lot are but I'm finding out that having beautiful hair takes work and patients and most people that have it took those steps to have it beautiful!

jojo
October 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I dont think colouring changes the growth rate but maybe the retaining rate as if its damaged it will break off, so even though technically you are growing, the length doesn't change as its breaking off.

Your hair btw looks very healthy; its beautiful.