PDA

View Full Version : Funny Things Kids Said About Your Hair

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
OK, I have two teenage boys and sometimes they come up with some funny stuff. Unfortunately, sometimes it's targeted at my hair! :)

Last month my eldest son (he's 17) looked at me and said "Your hair looks like a little Amish boy"!
(For those of you not in the US, perhaps you have heard of the "Dutch Boy" haircut?)

Last weekend, my dear eldest son and I were in line for food. He looked at me and my hair and said "Mom, you look like one of the Beatles!"

I had to giggle. He's not entirely wrong in his comparison! :laugh:

Does anyone else have any words of wisdom from the mouth of babes concerning your hair?

irishlady
October 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
haha this is funny!

I don't have anything recent, but a few years ago my hair was at bra strap length, and much curlier than it is now.

My younger brother, who was about 14 at the time, said "you look like one of those men with the wigs from those 1700's paintings." LOL and my face doesn't remotely look masculine, charming! He also said "your hair makes you look like a spaniel!"

Brotherly love :p

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Brothers...ya gotta love 'em! :)

jojo
October 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
ha ha that cute! I got asked a few months back if I was a real life princess by a little girl on the bus, which was very sweet!

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Awww! How adorable! That IS very sweet, jojo!

bluesnowflake
October 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM
I've had a similar experience to Jojo- A little girl came up to me and asked if I was a princess- she said my hair looked exactly like a real princess's. Made my day!

Emerald88
October 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't wear my hair down in public much, but when I do I always get stares & princess comments from children. My daughter (15 yrs) always cracks up at people staring at my hair. A few months ago this little girl whispered very loudly so that everyone could hear to ask if I was a princess. My daughter really got a kick out of that one.

Arriens
October 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
When I was at my parents place, the kids next door asked me how the delivery went. :confused:
Well I became an uncle 2 weeks later, but it took me awhile before I connected the dots that my sis was pregnant, has the same hair as me and I have a flat belly. :D

sherigayle
October 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
One of the girls in my son's preschool class told me that I had pretty purple princess hair. It was the day after Manic Panic so it was very purple. I think I might have actually squeeled a little. :joy:

MissManda
October 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
I get princess comments from my niece. :) It is so cute! I haven't noticed any princess comments from other small children since I started growing my hair out, but that's probably because I try to wear my hair up in public most of the time. I'm sure I'll get some eventually.

This isn't exactly a funny comment from someone younger than myself, but I think it should be included here. One time when my fifteen-year-old sister came to visit me, the conversation randomly drifted to hair. She would describe how she observed the girls in her age group constantly wearing their hair down during the sunnier seasons, which prevented their nape, shoulders and back to not get as tan as the rest of their bodies.

We came to the conclusion that this should be referred to as "princess tan." :D

spidermom
October 21st, 2010, 06:02 PM
She's not a kid, but the funniest thing anybody ever said about my hair was my massage therapist. She told me that her hair was long, too, "but not crazy-long like yours." I had "crazy" as my length on my profile for a long time after that.

soopahgrover
October 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
When I lost my job last year, one of the girls in my Brownie Girl Scout troop suggested I could become a hairdresser. :) I thought that was cute. (I have no beauty industry skills whatsoever.)

Anadyomene
October 22nd, 2010, 05:32 AM
I work in an elementary school and I almost always wear my hair up in a bun. The reasons for having my hair up are many, practicality, children who would pull it (yes sad but true), and the possibility of lice (shudder). This means that the children rarely see me with my hair down.
Well once in a while I let my hair down usually on a Friday. The children often say, "Oh! Are you Rapunzell." That is what they almost always say. It never fails to make me smile. Then I tell them no I am not Rapunzell I wouldn't let my prince charming climb up my hair!:whistle:

HairFaerie
October 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Oh, my! I got a new one today!

I am having a bad hair day so I am wearing a hat. To me, it kind of resembles a Greek sailor hat. It has that type of look.

I was sitting at my computer in my room and my youngest son (16), came home from school and came in to say hello. He took one look at me and said "You look like a taxi driver!"

:laugh:

Wow, I sure can't wait for the mermaid/princess comments to come! However, I must admit I get a kick out of my teenage boy's comments! They make me chuckle!

Yozhik
October 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
A couple of years ago a girl in high school said my hair made me look like a chow chow . . . :confused:

I like chows, but I certainly do NOT have a blue tongue!

LittleRainbow
October 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
My brother told me after I dyed my hair red for the first time

"I think any girl's hair absolutely look the best natural"

He's never been that sweet before :P

Garnetgem
January 20th, 2016, 06:20 PM
One time i was out walking with my hair down and a little girl about age 6 said loudly as i passed "Look mummy its a princess" another time a boy of about 10 sang "Romeo Romeo where art thy Romeo" lol kids don't hold back on their thoughts!

lapis_lazuli
January 20th, 2016, 06:23 PM
My cousins always have something to say about my hair :laugh:
One of them: "You should cut it"
Me: "Why?"
"Because it's long!" "But why?" "Because... because it's too long!"
Ah how society conditions our children :rolling:

Another one (the girl) thinks I should grow it to the floor. I'm going to take her up on that advice :eyebrows:

chen bao jun
January 20th, 2016, 07:01 PM
My boys were in grade school in the early 90's and the movie Aladdin came out. All of their little friends used to ask me if I was Princess Jasmine. My hair is not as long as hers!
I did wear it straightened at that time, it was about brastrap.

Years later when my youngest was in high school, I had changed my hair style to braid outs and then all his friends would ask why he didn't wear his hair like mine, 'your mom is so cool with the octopus hair'; 'your mom with her squiggly hair'.

Maybe that's why my youngest isn't happy that I wear a bun a lot now--he steals my hairstick and ruffles my hair and says I ought to always wear it out.

ETA: oh, I forgot. My friend adopted Ukrainian kids. They never saw kinky/curly hair before. whenever I take my hair down, they run to play with it. Once I brought over a set of hot steamers for their older sister and the little kids were all excited and kept asking, if that was what I used and if they couldn't try it so they could have hair like mine.

trolleypup
January 20th, 2016, 07:05 PM
That you don't get to hear sometimes...

Passed a little girl talking animatedly to her mom...after i passed, sudden silence, then *whisperwhisperwhisperwhisper!* "hush!" *whisperwhisper...* Yeah, somewhere in there I did a hair flip.

neko_kawaii
January 20th, 2016, 07:20 PM
My boys were in grade school in the early 90's and the movie Aladdin came out. All of their little friends used to ask me if I was Princess Jasmine. My hair is not as long as hers!
I did wear it straightened at that time, it was about brastrap.

Years later when my youngest was in high school, I had changed my hair style to braid outs and then all his friends would ask why he didn't wear his hair like mine, 'your mom is so cool with the octopus hair'; 'your mom with her squiggly hair'.

Maybe that's why my youngest isn't happy that I wear a bun a lot now--he steals my hairstick and ruffles my hair and says I ought to always wear it out.

ETA: oh, I forgot. My friend adopted Ukrainian kids. They never saw kinky/curly hair before. whenever I take my hair down, they run to play with it. Once I brought over a set of hot steamers for their older sister and the little kids were all excited and kept asking, if that was what I used and if they couldn't try it so they could have hair like mine.

One of my son's friends has wonderful 3c curls and wears them loose with just the front clipped back from her face. Her mom is a hairdresser and my son decided he wanted the friend's mom to cut his hair so I arranged that with her and one day while he was still waiting in anticipation for the appointment he told me that he wanted her to cut his hair like his friends - as in if it was cut just right he would have 3c curls too. He was very sad when I explained it wouldn't work like that.

gregh
January 20th, 2016, 07:22 PM
*whisperwhisperwhisperwhisper!* "hush!" *whisperwhisper...*
I have gotten this one, but no particularly funny comments.

languagenut
January 20th, 2016, 09:59 PM
A few years ago I braided my hair in one braid instead of my usual two. My then-teenage brother lost no time in informing that it looked like a big rope! (I have very thick hair, of a darkish-blondish color). And then when I do it in two braids he's always trying to tie them together. Guess that's what brothers are for...

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
January 20th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Any time I put my hair in a braid my 4-year-old tells me he likes my "Jedi ponytail". :luke:

Islandgrrl
January 20th, 2016, 11:35 PM
I had a little girl tell me I was a real mermaid, just like Ariel, because my hair is long and red and I have a starfish necklace (I do...I wear a starfish pendant!).

Mirabele
January 21st, 2016, 12:28 AM
lately, i wear my hair in french twist with my hair twisted and ends tucked good in. my son (he is 13) once looked at my hair carefully as if to investigate how the twist is made, and said with an astonishment in his voice, oh, bended hair. from that day both my kids call this hairstyle bended hair.

Garnetgem
January 21st, 2016, 12:37 AM
lately, i wear my hair in french twist with my hair twisted and ends tucked good in. my son (he is 13) once looked at my hair carefully as if to investigate how the twist is made, and said with an astonishment in his voice, oh, bended hair. from that day both my kids call this hairstyle bended hair.

Like that description "bended hair" such a sweet way to describe a french twist :)

Angel_Abby
January 27th, 2016, 05:32 AM
I've been letting my natural color grow out and I have this smattering of grey sections right in the part of my hair.

Yesterday I had my hair down (it was drying) while I was driving him to school and my 15 year old son says this:

Mom, the light is not good for your hair.
Me- why?
Him- it looks all gray now.

Lol. I think he was trying to be tactful in his own teenaged way- but unfortunately one cannot adjust the Suns glare to satisfy our own needs, eh? Lol

Swan Maiden
January 27th, 2016, 09:13 AM
These are so sweet and funny. My daughter tells me she is going to get me hairsticks in all my favorite colors and she is going to make me some quail oil (because I use Ostrich Oil)

missrandie
January 27th, 2016, 09:38 AM
These are so sweet and funny. My daughter tells me she is going to get me hairsticks in all my favorite colors and she is going to make me some quail oil (because I use Ostrich Oil)

Awwwwwww quail oil! Now wouldn't that be a delicate process :)

lillielil
January 27th, 2016, 10:59 AM
My son, every time he sees my hair down: "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR HAIR?!? MOVE IT!!"

languagenut
January 27th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Last night I had been writing something, and when I was done my pen wasn't very cooperative about staying behind my ear. So I twisted my hair into a quick bun and put the pen through like a hair stick. One of my 2yr old brothers was standing nearby, so I showed him, "look, it's a hair stick now!" He responded by grabbing the nearest pen within reach and handed it to me saying "this one - hair stick." So I stuck it in my hair too, and he promptly grabbed another, "this one - hair stick?" I laughed and said "no, I don't need all the pens!" So he tried to put it in his hair (cut in a bowl cut). I said, "that won't work, you don't have any hair." At which he seemed rather offended, and pointed to his head and asserted "hair - here!" Yes, he was right, he does have hair, and a good amount of it. Just not enough for a hair stick. :)

Colochita
January 27th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I have twin cousins who are 5 and one is very into fashion and hair styling.

She's come over to visit while I was doing my hair before and will immediately rush to pick up things I'm using and ask what they're for. She's also asked to do my hair and to do my mother's hair. At 5 she can braid, which is pretty impressive! :)

My favorite was when she picked up one of my flexi rods, took it to her mother and asked, "What's this worm thing? Can I have it?"

endersworld
January 27th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I work with a bunch of 3 and 4 year olds at my church, and a few of the little girls once came up to me en masse and asked if Rapunzel was my sister!

(this was especially funny to me, as my hair is very dark and not extremely long in my opinion, but I suppose my kiddos know best)

gregh
February 2nd, 2016, 06:31 PM
Giving my 6 yo daughter a piggy back ride which she calls a horsey ride: "Dad your ponytail is in the wrong place for a horse!"

Robi-Bird
February 2nd, 2016, 06:38 PM
This wasn't so much about my hair but her own. I showed her how I hold my hair up with hairsticks after she got a hold of one of my Lady Iduns.

Mom said I have longer hair than anyone in the family. The cheeky thing said: "I'm going to have longer hair than Auntie, all the way down to the floor. The I will half to pick up my toys so it doesn't get got in them."

This from a kid who hates having her hair combed or brushed.

languagenut
February 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Robi-Bird, I guess she'd better master those hair sticks then! :lol:

Yesterday I put my hair up in a braided bun. My 10yr old brother remarked "Your hair looks weird." "Weird?" I replied. So he asserted critically "It looks like a rose." Well, I guess there could be worse things it could look like! :laugh:

ArienEllariel
February 10th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I just remember back when I babysat a neighbor's little girl. She was about 4 and any time I wore my hair in a braid, she'd ask for "princess hair" too. Too cute. :)

MeAndTheMaz
February 10th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Giving my 6 yo daughter a piggy back ride which she calls a horsey ride: "Dad your ponytail is in the wrong place for a horse!"

Okay, you win with this one. That's too funny. :spitting:

*Stella*
February 10th, 2016, 03:23 PM
My favourite kid comment was more to do with colour than length. I was walking down the street in front of a little boy who was about 5 and his sister who was maybe 3. He said 'look at her hair! Do you think she dyes it?' (It was bright turquoise/teal at the time) She responded with 'maybe she just colours it in.'

Robi-Bird
February 10th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Robi-Bird, I guess she'd better master those hair sticks then! :lol:

If she really does end up being a long-hair (she's only four) Auntie plans to be a patient mentor.

Beatrixity
February 18th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I was helping some 6th grade girls finish up there homework when I noticed one of them had an almost classic length low ponytail. I complemented her and she turned around, whipped out a spary bottle and spritzed my hair. "There! Your hair will be long by next week!" I laughed and eagerly read the label: it was watered down cherry blossom body spray from bath and body works. I laughed a while after that. If only there were a magic potion like that! Im back to the not so magic yet ever so virtuous PATIENCE. Sigh. :o

Mirabele
February 18th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Beatrixity: haha, i would want a magic potion like that, to get long hair in a week. would spray extra to get some additional thickness, and preferable, waves ;)

from the vocabulary of my teenage son. my sock bun = oh, look, donut. my BBB brush = oh, look, horse brush. he isn't being sarcastic, he is just saying fist thing that comes to his mind seeing my "new" har things that he haven't seend before :)

lithostoic
February 18th, 2016, 01:04 PM
"Do you even brush your hair?" :/

cat11
February 18th, 2016, 01:52 PM
"Do you even brush your hair?" :/

yeah. none of the things kids said about my hair were funny... just mean. Because it was curly and my mom just brushed and pulled the **** out of it not knowing better and it looked... a mess.

Also "it literally looks like a birds nest." -_- These types of comments, especially kids and even my own parents refusing to beleive I brushed my hair really made me hate it for years

Entangled
February 18th, 2016, 06:15 PM
"Her hair is all the way to her back. She needs to cut it." From the four year old who used to tell me I had Rapunzel hair...

languagenut
February 28th, 2016, 12:20 AM
(After reprimanding one of the 2yr olds for trying to sand my recently-varnished hair fork)

Me: Don't mess with that. That's for me; it's for my hair.
2yr old: Make - donut?
Me: Donut? We don't have any donuts.
2yr old: Donut - in hair!
Me: Why would I want a donut in my hair?... Oh, you mean a bun! I make a bun in my hair.
2yr old: Bun - hair...

But that apparently sent his thoughts in a different direction, as he concluded with, "Eat - bagel; me rungry!" and ran into the kitchen! :laugh:

No, I just couldn't stay angry (about the damaged fork)! :o