PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil Infused Comb?

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I was at Sally Beauty the other day looking for a wide toothed comb. I ended up with the "Silk Elements Olive Oil Infused Comb".
I got it because I liked the tooth spacing and it didn't seem to have any sharp "edges" on the teeth.

When I got home and read the package that it came in, it says that olive oil and wheat germ are "infused" into the plastic. (This was not one of the selling points that sold me on the comb.)

I couldn't help but think "What a gimmick"! I mean, really, plastic is plastic, right? Once you bake it and it hardens, I don't think the olive oil or wheat germ would keep any of their attributes.

Here is a link to the comb:
http://www.shopstyle.com/product/silk-elements-sally-beauty-brushes-combs-olive-oil-wide-tooth-conditioning-comb/171840287

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think oilive oil can be "infused" in plastic and still have any benefits?
Is is still a half way decent comb even if the "olive oil infused plastic" is a gimmick?

angelfell
October 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
It seems unlikely, though as keen as I am with science in general, I can't be sure. It looks smooth though, like it would comb easily through hair regardless :p. If it has no seam, then it's probably a decent comb.. from what I read. All mine have seams. Bad Stephanie.

soopahgrover
October 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I saw something like that at a drug store, although if I remember correctly, it was a jojoba oil infused brush. I think it was more coated than infused... and I think its benefits would wear off after a few days' use. The oil would be absorbed by your hair, and the grease from your hair would cover the tines. But hey, if it's a good comb, who cares about the rest! :) Seamless combs can be hard to find.

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'd say it was probably a con, too. But to be honest, it's more important that it's seamless, so yay for that. :)

aenflex
October 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I used to soak my wooden combs in grapeseed oil or EVOO...It's cool. I miss my wooden combs :( My dogs got to them and I've never replaced them. .....

Dreams_in_Pink
October 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hmm, what if we infuse a wooden comb in oil? :)

EDIT: aenflex beat me on that one :D

HairFaerie
October 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
The wood infusion I can totally see as having benefit. The plastic...not so much.
It's not coated on the outside or anything. It just feels like a regular plastic comb!
I can see where the wood would absorb some of the oils and then the oils would then transfer to your hair. Hmmmmm....that gives me some ideas!
This comb isn't technically seamless, however, the seams are very slight and not "sharp" at all. You have to look very hard for them and you can't really feel them either.

BrightEyes7
October 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Although it says it is conditioning I am not so sure...

I think it is just their selling point to stand out among all the other wide tooth combs. But if it is a good comb none the less than I guess it is no big deal! :cheese:

Juneii
October 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
somehow I can't imagine oil getting absorbed into plastic. Wood at least is more porous than plastic and will benefit more from the oils.

virgo75
October 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I bought the stupid Goody brush that was supposed to be infused with jojoba oil.

You can see it here:
http://www.drugstore.com/goody-styling-therapy-brush-add-shine/qxp206749

It didn't seem to add any shine or anything to my hair, it didn't detangle well because the bristles were too soft and my hair is kinda thick, and the final insult was that it fell apart after about 1 month - all of the bristles started falling off. All of them. :shake: I brushed my hair with one stroke 3 bristles fell off, with the next stroke another 3-4 bristles fell out. After that I held the brush in one hand and rubbed my other hand over it and the bristles fell down and off like dominos. :rolleyes:

Definite gimmick.

If you want the oils, you'd do better to buy them separately and then use whatever comb or brush works on your hair. :flower:

Cholera
October 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM
When I read "oil infused comb" I kept imagining how slippery it must be to hold! That sounds like a scam. It sounds nice, but does it work better than a comparable comb from the grocery store? Probably not.

Dipping your comb in oil and then combing sounds like it would work better o.O