PDA

View Full Version : What kind of elastics do you use?

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
For a while now I've been using those Goody elastics, the ones without metal, but I've started to notice that the glued part that holds it together is really sharp and rough. I don't remember ever noticing this before...maybe now I'm just more aware of potential hair dangers, or maybe they've changed the elastics. I'm wondering if this might damage my hair.

What kind of elastics do you use/recommend?

FrannyG
March 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I use Scunci brand elastics. I've never had a problem with them and they are readily available.

purplebubba
March 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I wear the Terry Pony O's type like the ones on this page
http://mp.hairboutique.com/Scunci-Mini-Terry-Pony-Os/P/119445/C/331

My current batch are from a dollar store and came in a tube of about 20.

Edit: I just remembered I have a picture of them
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/purplebubba/PB4/TubeOfElastics.jpg

chloeishere
March 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I also have the goody "ouchless" ones, that are glued together. If I notice the edges are sharp (from the glue) I sand it smooth with my glass nail file.
I really try to minimize using ponytail holders, so it's not a huge issue for me. 95% of the time, if I want to put my hair up, it's with a stick, a fork, or a flexi-8. The other 5 percent is normally if I'm cooking and I want to toss my hair up real quick, or something like that, so it's only in the ponytail holder for a few hours anyway.

OhioLisa
March 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
You might want to try bungee bands. They eliminate the need to pull your hair through elastics over and over (which can be damaging for some).

LINK (http://mp.hairboutique.com/Bungee-Bands/C/332)

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hmm, good ideas. I think I'll try and sand the elastics I already have, and then when I need new ones I'll probably try something different. OhioLisa, I looked at the bungee bands, and I don't really get how they work. It sort of looks like I'd need 3 hands to wrap a ponytail with one. :confused:

hrimfaxi
March 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I use hair hosiery; they are hair elastics that are like pantyhose material. I believe they are made by Scunci. They don't even have a joint and they're very soft.

CurlyNinja
March 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I use the Scunci No Damage Firm and Tight elastics as my go-to hairtie. I also have some of those black and clear little ouchless ties for smaller amounts of hair. (the ends of braids, etc)

SaveTheTapirs
March 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I use hair hosiery; they are hair elastics that are like pantyhose material. I believe they are made by Scunci. They don't even have a joint and they're very soft.

I just looked those up on Scunci's website and they look nice and soft. Hmm...maybe I'll have to invest in some. Also it says they won't dent the hair (we'll see), which would be a great thing since elastics always seem to give my hair a "shelf" appearance. :eek:

Anje
March 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I get a rather colorful imitation of the "Hair Hosiery" from the dollar store. No sharp joins on those, either, and I can seriously stock up.

Stagecoach
March 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I generally use either a scrunchie or those clear rubber bands the CVS sells. I have to be careful taking them out, but otherwise they dont' seem to harm my hair, and they hold fabulous!

Kittee
March 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I also use the goody "glue" ones. Main problem I have is that I break them all the time. lol

SHADOWSCODE46
March 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I swear by Sephoras Snag Free Elastics. (http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P34109&categoryId=C12673&shouldPaginate=true)
They are awesome; I can literally pull these right down out of my hair from a pony tail and it just slides right out, yet holds really tight. They don't pop or snag itself around my hair. After my first pack I threw away anything else I was using before (even those scunci ouchless bands were rough and and the glued part was snagging my hair in half). Just be careful of Sephora's Elastics, because they can grow legs and walk (and find their way in my mother room & hair) :D.

Liluri
March 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I have some Scunci soft bands and I have some bungee cords as well. I also have a silk scrunchie as well that I love.

icydove
March 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I can't use those elastics with the glue either. My favorites are called Suave Pony Sox, which is a hair-hosiery elastic. I find them at Dollar General stores for $2, but they can be hard to find, especially in autumn colors. I stock up when I do find them, so hopefully they still make them. :silly:

addikted
March 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I use bungee bands, so no dragging my ponytail through the elastic.

Schanulleke
March 16th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Those bungee bands sound intriguing, but I can't picture myself how to use them.
Doesn't your hair get caught in the hooks?

evalina
March 14th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I found nice elastics at Claire's. I'm using their silicone bands and some that are made of elastic fabric. Besides that I have a pack of Invisibobbles which are similar to Papanga hair bands.

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I used the telephone cord ones recently and I was very pleased with them.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dbeauty&field-keywords=telephone+cord+hair+ties&sprefix=telephone+cord+hai%2Cstripbooks%2C195

MINAKO
March 14th, 2015, 08:39 PM
NONE :eek:

endlessly
March 14th, 2015, 08:59 PM
If I'm bunning my hair, I don't use any elastics because it just seems like an unnecessary extra step to me. When I braid, I use the Goody brown elastics - but I have to agree that the glued section does get a little rough as the elastic is stretched out. So, when that happens, I tend to re-purpose them to tie together cords, etc. Otherwise, I managed to find these really nice, comfortable scrunchies a few years back and I've been starting to use those more and more because they don't catch or snag my hair at all. Seriously, why did companies discontinue scrunchies? They're amazing.

DweamGoiL
March 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM
I use ribbon elastics that I buy in bulk by the yard and cut to size. I share them with my 2 daughters as well.

Adiro
March 15th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Just Goody with glue....
Usually at the end of my night braid....
During the day I use other hair holders, like sticks or forks or clips, like ficcare or jaw clips

meteor
March 15th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I use those ordinary (Goody ?) ones with glue, because they have a bit of grip. Generally though, I don't even bother to tie off my braid at night - I don't mind if it unravels a bit at night. The longer it gets, the less it unravels.
Silk ribbons are nice and non-damaging, but they slide and can be a bit fiddly to weave in.

Hairkay
March 15th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Home made scrunchies

Remi
March 20th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I use those little elastic ribbons that are everywhere now. There must be dozens of colors combos that are available. I use them to end the braid on night braids.

lapushka
March 20th, 2015, 04:46 PM
I have elastics, plenty of them, the metallic kind, the non-metallic kind, scrunchies, you name it, I got it. I haven't used an elastic in a few years, though, not since I was able to wear buns; ever since hitting waist/hip for sure.